PDA

View Full Version : General 3589 will be getting a new home soon, after 25 years in storage!

Doogie
05-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Hi all, you may remember late last year I stumbled across 3589, in dry storage, with only 12800 miles on it. Today, I was able to negotiate a deal with the owners, and I am proud to state, that around July 4th, she will be uncovered and removed from her tomb, and on her way to her new home.

I'm SOOOOO excited! (My wife is excited that I might finally stop talking about just getting the car, and actually get it!)

So, bringing a car out of storage from a 25 year sleep. This will be fun. Yes, they left gas in it. New battery, fresh oil, should start right up right? 8)

btw, love the new look of the forum, and love that it's back up and running! THANKS!!

Malevy
05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
So, bringing a car out of storage from a 25 year sleep. This will be fun. Yes, they left gas in it. New battery, fresh oil, should start right up right? 8)

I hope you are kidding.. You know to clean the tank first, right?

Doogie
05-24-2011, 10:50 PM
I've been ....what's the term? Trolling? here since last October, when I discovered the car in my wife's family. I've rebuilt a 1922 Model T, and 1959 Austin Healey Sprite, and have always had the knack for an engine. I think my wife is tired of me downloading and printing EVERY.SINGLE.PIECE.OF.LITERATURE I could find (did I mention I work for a printer company?8) )

So yeah, the fuel system will be completely removed and addressed, as wil lother things. I'm just tickled to be able to make the deal with the owners. At one point, it looked like it might be an ebay deal, but we were able to avoid that.

So, in a few weeks, truck and trailer over to the location, dig it out of storage (dry, covered in sheets and carpets all it's life, concrete floor, great frame, original tires, etc)

It's an auto, Sep '01, black interior. Lots of stuff to work on, but I'm ready for it. I'm so excited. Need to sell the Healey though, no more room at the inn!

nullset
05-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Nah it's fine. You should just drive it out of there. Maybe flush the oil with a hose pipe first. Just start the motor, open the oil fill spout, and put your hose in there. Take off the drain plug and keep it running until the water runs clear through the drain plug.

NOTE: THIS IS A JOKE, BUT SOMEONE ACTUALLY DID IT ON A MUSTANG FORUM……

I'd start by replacing all of the hoses, and getting the fuel tank rebuild kit from DMCH at a minimum.

--buddy

Doogie
05-24-2011, 11:01 PM
So, you think I should pout some gumout in the oil fill and run for a few minutes to get the oil nice and warm, so it'll flow out of the drain plug better? 8)

Wow, seriously? They bought a 'stang and did that to it? Some should let the barn fresh cars be left to people who know their way around a barn! That's funny.

Yeah, I've researched (I think) a lot about the revival of this car. Hopefully I can manage ok (counting on you guys and gals!).

The only thing I don't like is some mice had previously made a home in the box behind the drivers' seat, but I can't find any damage. Hopefully they have "left the building".

Doogie

nullset
05-24-2011, 11:46 PM
The only thing I don't like is some mice had previously made a home in the box behind the drivers' seat, but I can't find any damage. Hopefully they have "left the building".

Doogie

Once they're in the car, they are EVERYWHERE. I had one in my headliner, a few behind the front grille, one on the mounting point between the body and the frame…..

Are you considering a frame off restoration? New interior? If so, I'd start stripping it….. :)

--buddy

dvonk
05-25-2011, 01:43 AM
Wow, seriously? They bought a 'stang and did that to it?

it was a 1994 Cobra: here is the link. (http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/368307-im-done-with-this-car.html)

Bitsyncmaster
05-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Doogie

Just last night I was working on the harness in the relay box and found one brown wire had the insulation chewed off about an inch long. Brown wires are usually hot wires so I taped it really good.

Mike C.
05-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey Doogie, sounds like a great resurrection is going to happen! Any pics? Love to see stored cars.

Doogie
06-23-2011, 12:06 AM
So, truck and trailer all ready to go, (I hope, never trailered anything this heavy before). New hitch on the truck (2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac), trailer has electric brakes, should be OK)

Drive down Thursday night, get the car Friday, hang out with the relatives until Sunday morn, drive it back to Cincinnati Sunday. I am SO PUMPED!!!

Michael
06-23-2011, 12:35 AM
So where are you driving to?

Mark D
06-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Congrats on the car man! Definitely post up some pics once you've got her home safe.

It would be interesting to see the 'tomb' where it's lived for the past 2 1/2 decades too :smile:

David T
06-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Mice tend to go for the heater box, under the seats, and the jack storage area so pull the heater motor, seats, and jack and inspect for infestation. If you notice any evidence you should take biological precautions because they carry diseases. At the very least use a dust-mask to reduce the amount you inhale of the dried feces. Then wash the whole area with bleach and/or a disinfectant. Also be careful of spiders and other insects. I once brought a car into my garage that was outside for many years. Once in the "warm" garage (it was wintertime) all of the bugs started to wake up and come out. To prevent them getting into the house I had to "bomb" the garage. I heard a story about a snake once! Once you get the car home the FIRST thing you should do is wash it and hose it well underneath to try blasting as many bugs as you can before pushing it into the garage. Pull the front grill too. It just pulls off.
David Teitelbaum

louielouie2000
06-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Mice tend to go for the heater box, under the seats, and the jack storage area so pull the heater motor, seats, and jack and inspect for infestation. If you notice any evidence you should take biological precautions because they carry diseases. At the very least use a dust-mask to reduce the amount you inhale of the dried feces. Then wash the whole area with bleach and/or a disinfectant. Also be careful of spiders and other insects. I once brought a car into my garage that was outside for many years. Once in the "warm" garage (it was wintertime) all of the bugs started to wake up and come out. To prevent them getting into the house I had to "bomb" the garage. I heard a story about a snake once! Once you get the car home the FIRST thing you should do is wash it and hose it well underneath to try blasting as many bugs as you can before pushing it into the garage. Pull the front grill too. It just pulls off.
David Teitelbaum

Don't forget that mice also LOVE the electrical compartments under the parcel shelf behind the rear seats. If Doogie's car ever had mice, he'll find evidence of them in there. For Doogie's sake, I hope he finds nothing. He'll have enough work to do on his Sleeping Beauty without replacing gnawed on electrics.

Doogie
06-23-2011, 11:16 PM
So where are you driving to?

Paducah, KY. I live in Cincinnati, OH. :frantic:

Doogie
06-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Don't forget that mice also LOVE the electrical compartments under the parcel shelf behind the rear seats. If Doogie's car ever had mice, he'll find evidence of them in there. For Doogie's sake, I hope he finds nothing. He'll have enough work to do on his Sleeping Beauty without replacing gnawed on electrics.

Oh, yeah, the mice have been there, the box behind the drivers seat is full:angry0:

No problems though, I'm ready for it. I have tape for the windows (they were left down) in case it rains on the way home Sunday. I'll take lotsa pics of the unwrapping. It's been in the back of a garage, out of the sun and weather for ~25 years, and only has 12888 miles on her, so my work is cut out for me, but I think I have a really solid starter. The frame is nothing more than 'dusty'.

We'll be getting it out on Friday (I'm so excited I can't sleep - My Mother-in-law who lives in Paducah is getting quite the kick out of this. It was her sister's car). Then driving back to cincinnati Sunday. Look for the slow moving rig blocking traffic! :paranoid:

Doogie
06-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Thankfully, the owner left the title in the glove box! Their sons (my wife's cousins) have power-of-attorney so we'll get that signed over tomorrow somewhere where there is a Notary. That's kewl. Last 2 cars I bought (Model T and Austin Healey Bugeye) were bill of sale..what a pain..

opethmike
06-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Thankfully, the owner left the title in the glove box! Their sons (my wife's cousins) have power-of-attorney so we'll get that signed over tomorrow somewhere where there is a Notary. That's kewl. Last 2 cars I bought (Model T and Austin Healey Bugeye) were bill of sale..what a pain..

Sorry to go off topic, but do you have pics of the T? I love those.

Doogie
06-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Sorry to go off topic, but do you have pics of the T? I love those.

I do have them, both before (rust bucket) and after, but I don't think I have them on my laptop, as I'm in Paducah now. I'll definitly post them though..

Ryan King
06-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Doogie
06-24-2011, 12:16 PM
It's happening.

Adam here, helping Doogie out while he's in the wilds taking care of business. First pic out of the barn ("helpful" family members got it out before he was able to get there!).

Doogie
06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Adam again Yeah, Doogie's busy...

Notice: matching key number tag with keys..

Doogie
06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Adam again.

No eyebrows!

Malevy
06-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Always better to prop the door from the sill, not the ground.. If the car rolls, the door with come down hard.

David T
06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Once you get the car home one of the first things you should be doing before spending a lot of money is getting the car Titled in your name. That way you will know if there are any outstanding Leins against it or if it was ever reported stolen.
David Teitelbaum

Doogie
06-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Adam here.

One more...

Doogie
06-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Always better to prop the door from the sill, not the ground.. If the car rolls, the door with come down hard.

Will pass that along. Thanks.

Canon20DFan
06-24-2011, 02:11 PM
That is one BIG trailer! 2x the length of the car...I hope you have independent brakes for it and a good brake controller.

Adam here.

One more...

Malevy
06-24-2011, 02:17 PM
That is one BIG trailer! 2x the length of the car...I hope you have independent brakes for it and a good brake controller.

Why? :biggrin:

http://gizmodo.com/5814567/what-happens-when-a-car-trailer-starts-bouncing-uncontrollably

Not a problem...

Doogie
06-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Adam again.

When mom's happy, EVERYBODY'S happy!

Doogie
06-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Once you get the car home one of the first things you should be doing before spending a lot of money is getting the car Titled in your name. That way you will know if there are any outstanding Leins against it or if it was ever reported stolen.
David Teitelbaum

When I get back on Sunday, the plan is to leave it on the trailer (covered of course) and then on Monday morning take it to the DMV in Ohio to have the VIN inspected and get the car titled in my name. The PO and I went to the back down here yesterday and signed over the title to me and had it notorized. Should be a piece of cake. Then, take the car back to my house and take it off the trailer Monday night and put it in the garage, where the fun begins!

Doogie
06-25-2011, 11:21 AM

The trailer does look bigger in the picture I admit, but it's only about 3 feet (maybe 4) longer than the car. It does have independent brakes, and loaded real nice. I wanted to make sure it was long enough that I could put the car on the trailer and still get the proper tongue weight, with particular attention being paid to the fact that the engine (weight) was in the back of the car. I think it'll work pretty good. I will be taking a test drive on the highway today though to make sure I am happy with the loading. So far (after just a few non-highway miles) I am happy, but I'll take a short 5~10 mile drive on I-24 to make sure I like the load first. I readjusted the brake controller to accomadate for the increased load, and I think it's where I want it, but again, a highway drive will vett that out..

Doogie
06-29-2011, 12:05 AM
When I get back on Sunday, the plan is to leave it on the trailer (covered of course) and then on Monday morning take it to the DMV in Ohio to have the VIN inspected and get the car titled in my name. The PO and I went to the back down here yesterday and signed over the title to me and had it notorized. Should be a piece of cake. Then, take the car back to my house and take it off the trailer Monday night and put it in the garage, where the fun begins!

Took the car Monday morning to the Ohio DMV. Got the VIN inspection, paid the sales tax, and everything should be good! Pick up the title after 1:00 Thursday!

Doogie
06-29-2011, 12:06 AM
The trailer does look bigger in the picture I admit, but it's only about 3 feet (maybe 4) longer than the car. It does have independent brakes, and loaded real nice. I wanted to make sure it was long enough that I could put the car on the trailer and still get the proper tongue weight, with particular attention being paid to the fact that the engine (weight) was in the back of the car. I think it'll work pretty good. I will be taking a test drive on the highway today though to make sure I am happy with the loading. So far (after just a few non-highway miles) I am happy, but I'll take a short 5~10 mile drive on I-24 to make sure I like the load first. I readjusted the brake controller to accomadate for the increased load, and I think it's where I want it, but again, a highway drive will vett that out..

Worked out great. Hardley knew the car was back there, no sway or anything. (Except of course my 6 cylinder Ford Explorer Sportrac slowing waaayyyy down going up hills :giggle: Maybe I can convince the wife to spring for a nice F150? :blush:

Doogie
06-29-2011, 12:16 AM
So, about an hour out of town, after 4 hours of people giving us the "Thumbs up" and waving, etc..my wife turns and looks at me and says "I can't wait to get started on this"

:hmm: Really? The girl I spent 5 months convincing that we should do this? kewl.

Not 20 minutes after I got the car home, she comes out with a bottle of "Stainless Steel Cleaner" (from the kitchen sink) and says, "I'm just curious what this will do to those stains on the hood". She proceeds to clean the entire car. I get the vacuum cleaner, go after the mouse nests, and clean the entire interior (hastily) with leftover Armor All. She gets in it while it's still on the trailer, and says "Yeah, I could see driving this to work..."

Yep, she likes it....

SIMid
06-29-2011, 03:20 AM
*LOL*

Good stuff! Make sure she doens't use the hood as a chopping board when you run out of room in the kitchen. :giddy:

My Mrs already says that she wont drive the D when she arrives, too scared with the steering wheel being on the wrong side (waiting for comebacks!). But I hope when she sees it in the flesh like your Mrs did, she may say, "I can see myself driving it!".

Cant wait to see more updates Doogie. :thumbup:

Bitsyncmaster
06-29-2011, 06:12 AM
My wife did not like my car when I first got it. But after she went to DCS in Lexington she loves all the friendly people that own DeLoreans. Now she's really excited when we booked 5 days for DCS in Orlando.