PDA

View Full Version : SS doorsills

john 05141
04-05-2013, 03:45 AM
I wanted to have this a long time.
At DCS in Orlando, one of the Deloreans had this. I love the sight of SS doorsills.
So I have been searching to find those, but it was either no loger available or no response was given.

I now found a solution at a guy in France who made it.
It arrived a couple of days ago, I still need to get it in there, but I'm glad I found a solution.

So it is available again!!

Jan

Kerichbe
04-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Very nice looking, I look forward to seeing a photo once they are installed!

dmcnorway
04-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Who makes them?

Jeff K
04-05-2013, 12:28 PM
I got mine from Grady (If I remember right).

Are they not stocking it anymore?

1batt4u
04-05-2013, 03:10 PM
I got mine from Grady (If I remember right).

Are they not stocking it anymore?

PJ Grady in NY or Europe?

Domi
04-05-2013, 03:37 PM
He did a great job, keep us update when it will be installed on your car ;)

ALEXAKOS
04-05-2013, 03:54 PM
I now found a solution at a guy in France who made it.

A contact info or link would be appreciated.

It is a very "important" upgrade;)
thanx

Jeff K
04-05-2013, 03:56 PM
PJ Grady in NY or Europe?

New York. They are near the town where I was born.

john 05141
04-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Grady US to had those but they never responded to my massages in either UK or US.
I contacted Deloreanlettrage in France. He made this custom made but I am sure he will offer it on his website.

Tomorrow I will try it in the car and make pictures.
Jan

Nicholas R
04-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Ken Koncelik used to make them. Not sure if he still does.

Jonathan
04-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Don't the DMC franchises carry them anymore? I got mine from them about 1.5 years ago or so. I don't see any of that sort of thing on their webstore though either.

jawn101
04-06-2013, 07:46 PM
I really like this design, moreso than the positive letters. These fit better and look very elegant. I have the positive letters from the UK currently, but if these were easily available again I'd swap in a heartbeat.

ALEXAKOS
04-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Tried contacting our French fella. Neither his blog nor his email are working. :(

Starglider
04-07-2013, 10:37 AM
I got a pair of these from DMC California, before I decided to go with the pre-made illuminated door sills (from DMC Midwest, which include the negative stainless outline). Ended up using the spare pair to decorate the headliners. DMC California seem to have taken their web store offline; their main page now points at the DMC Houston store instead. However you could email them and ask if they have any left, as I recall they had the sort with 'fingers' and the plain rectangular kind (six months back). Chris Nicholsson at P J Grady Europe also makes these (like any other stainless part you can imagine), but the French guy John found is likely cheaper.

Patrick C
04-07-2013, 11:31 AM
FWIW, no matter how well I cleaned the door sill, I could never get the "fingers" to stay stuck for very long. They have a tendency to pop up when the door sill flexes due to people stepping on it.

Domi
04-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Tried contacting our French fella. Neither his blog nor his email are working. :(

Yes, his website doesn't work anymore.
I'll try to contact him on the French forum ;)

DCUK Martin
04-07-2013, 03:36 PM
FWIW, no matter how well I cleaned the door sill, I could never get the "fingers" to stay stuck for very long. They have a tendency to pop up when the door sill flexes due to people stepping on it.

I'd echo this. It's probably the reason they're NLA. You can do it with the right adhesive(s) but it's a pain.

Jonathan
04-07-2013, 04:43 PM

For the cleaning part, did you antiseptically clean the sill before you stuck it down? Like with peroxide or something similar?

For the stepping on your sill part, why is it people are stepping on your sill? Don't most people step over the sill and put their foot directly in the car versus on the sill first? The car is about as low as you can get, so it's not like stepping over it is very high or difficult.

Nicholas R
04-07-2013, 04:50 PM

I havent had these personally but I have seen quite a few cars with them at the various shows and there are always a few fingers sticking up. I was on the fence about getting some a few years back but after seeing them I just couldn't do it. Part of the problem is that the surface is textured. Maybe if you actually sanded down the surface to make it flat it would work, but otherwise they just never hold.

Patrick C
04-07-2013, 07:33 PM
For the cleaning part, did you antiseptically clean the sill before you stuck it down? Like with peroxide or something similar?

I scrubbed with sandpaper and cleaned with lacquer thinner. They still didn't stay stuck down long.

Jonathan
04-07-2013, 08:11 PM
I scrubbed with sandpaper and cleaned with lacquer thinner. They still didn't stay stuck down long.

Gotcha. Julee urged me to ensure I use isopropyl or peroxide or the like to clean it antiseptically. I did that and mine are still stuck on there pretty much as they were when they first got installed. Same applies for the SS letters in the rear bumper if you get those too.

john 05141
04-08-2013, 03:33 AM
I tried to fit the new SS doorsill, but they did not fit over it now with the positive letters on it.
So I removed that one and put the new one in. It is very tight, I had to make one small correction, when I press it down, it already stays there.
I am now sanding the whole thing and than I will use sem black and paint it nicely over before I put in the new SS doorsill.

One question, I can lift one side of the plastic doorsill. I would like to remove it so I can easier sand it and glue in the new SS doorsill. I do not dare to use force, but how is that thing put in there?
I have seen cars with screws in those sills, and I want to avoid winding up in that situation.

The guy from Deloreanlettrage does not respond on a daily basis, I will ask if he can respond here on this forum.
I have na new windows on my PC and for some reason it does not dosnload pictures from my Iphone. I will try again.
Jan

Domi
04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
The guy from Deloreanlettrage does not respond on a daily basis, I will ask if he can respond here on this forum.
Jan

Still no answer on the French forum too.

dmcnorway
04-08-2013, 06:06 PM
I wonder what it would cost to custom-make totally new door sills made of stainless steel or aluminum...?

Patrick C
04-08-2013, 06:19 PM
I wonder what it would cost to custom-make totally new door sills made of stainless steel or aluminum...?
I've often thought of that...perhaps with JZD's signature engraved on them?

john 05141
04-09-2013, 03:41 AM
@ dmcnorway, will you be attending the Delorean event near Göteborg Sweden next month?

Did not have the time to continue the work on my doorsills, but more pictures to come for sure!
Jan

john 05141
04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
When removing the old SS DMC letters I scratched the sills quite good. So I had to use some filler to correct these. Easy and quickly done.
When I tried to fit the SS plate, it did not fit over the old SS letters. But on the pictures you can see that when bent over the old letters, the lines are tight enough to stay in place.
I wonder if it would look good if I put the old SS letters back like in 3D. We'll see.

Jan

dmcnorway
04-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi Jan, unfortunately I won't be able to attend that event :-(

Regards,
Stian Birkeland
VIN # 06759

@ dmcnorway, will you be attending the Delorean event near Göteborg Sweden next month?

Did not have the time to continue the work on my doorsills, but more pictures to come for sure!
Jan

john 05141
04-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Drivers side almost done
I sanded the sill completely and taped the bottom of for good adheasion of the glue.
then painted sem black.
The SS plate is tight but it is in there loose now and stays down very well. I even closed the door with them on the sill.
I will be gluing them in this evening. But htis is what it looks like.

Jan

ALEXAKOS
04-11-2013, 08:09 AM
sweet upgrade!
Great job;)

DMC5180
04-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Regarding getting the Adhesive tape to stick to the sills. I used a 3M product called Primer 94 Adhesion Promotor (It's a Commercial use only product). It worked GREAT but it's not available for sale to the general public. This stuff causes Cancer in every State , not just California. Hence, the restricted availability. It's A product used were I work for helping to adhere VHB trim tapes to various types of surfaces.

john 05141
04-15-2013, 04:40 AM
Nothing sticks there!!! I also used shining products there like most of us have, that is the layer that prevents take to stick I guess.
But after I sanded the whole thing, I used ether to degrease and clean, tape sticks to it like anything else.
And tape does not give you cancer either.

Jan

DMC5180
04-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Ah yes, (silicone based shining/cleaning products) would cause issues. Fortunately, my Sills (DMCMW illuminated) were New and had never been treated with a Silicone (shining product) ie: Armor-All.