PDA

View Full Version : General Performance Mods

patburton
04-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Is there a website to buy various performance parts? I want to look at all of the options, anywhere from a complete rebuild to just simple bolt on performance. I was looking at getting intake and head work done and possibly and aggressive cam.
Thanks,
Pat

Cartman
04-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi :)

there are several :)

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/

http://www.delorean.co.uk/delorean_performance.html

I think www.delorean.com also sell some performance parts :)

BABIS
04-09-2013, 10:22 AM
also http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/index.php?cPath=20_139

you can even find some parts for the old Reanault Alpine (like camshafts..)

Nicholas R
04-09-2013, 12:42 PM
What kind of intake work are you thinking about? Forced induction?

patburton
04-10-2013, 10:01 AM
What kind of intake work are you thinking about? Forced induction?

Porting. Eventually I will want to go to forced induction but for right now I am stock. I want to do some bolt ons for easy power and then this winter take the motor down and put an aggressive cam, head work etc. I want to know what all can be done to the original engine. Like boring the cylinders and milling the heads or is there more that can be done? As far as bolt ons is there a recommended supercharger?

Is it better to go with an EFI setup if you go to forced induction?

louielouie2000
04-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Porting. Eventually I will want to go to forced induction but for right now I am stock. I want to do some bolt ons for easy power and then this winter take the motor down and put an aggressive cam, head work etc. I want to know what all can be done to the original engine. Like boring the cylinders and milling the heads or is there more that can be done? As far as bolt ons is there a recommended supercharger?

Is it better to go with an EFI setup if you go to forced induction?

The only real bolt on mods that will make any power are a freer flowing exhaust (there are a few options for that: DMC Texas, DPI, and the Euro stainless exhaust), and a cold air intake. Other than that, you're going to have to really tear into the engine to bump power. Luckily there are a couple of camshaft options... the DMC franchises sell their version, and DPI has cams specifically formulated for manual AND auto cars. I know an owner who has a car with milled heads; most owners seem to eschew this practice as they have no real world DeLorean experience with it. You'll find this mindset quite often in the DeLorean community- folks dismiss & attack anything they don't understand/haven't tried.

Regarding superchargers, DMC Texas has a kit which includes modified intake goodies, but it'll cost you dearly. They also have to do the work to the car, and they port & polish your heads, install new cams, exhaust, ignition, etc. I'm still not sold on the supercharger DMC Texas chose, either. If it were me, I'd want an Eaton TVS, but I'm not sure if it could be mated to the proprietary DMC-Texas supercharger intake. Most folks would agree you'll want to go EFI if you do your own homebrew supercharging, but DMC stuck with the stock mechanical fuel injection. My guess is because they have lots of those old mechanical fuel injection parts on their shelves which they don't want to make obsolete.

Nicholas R
04-10-2013, 07:56 PM
My biggest concern with the stage III supercharger is that it's still used on stock engines, meaning performance is hindered by the stock engines limits. The stock internals cant handle more than about 6psi of boost no matter what type of forced induction is being used. Now, I'm not an expert on the supercharger market, but i know that I can buy a full bolt on kit fo my LS1 for around $6k.

Isn't the stage III around $13,000 (with installation which is required right?)? And the output figures were 153-157hp? I get that the PRV parts market is a lot smaller, and that folks like edelbrock aren't pumping out supercharges for it, but can't we do better than that? If I recall correctly the stage III only makes 6psi of boost (because the stock internals can't take anymore). Why not offer forged internals?! Yea I know DMCH has a full warehouse of crate motors that they don't want to tear apart, but why not at least offer it? Then maybe they can advertise performance figures above 200hp.

Course then I guess the problem is that once you get above about 7psi you need to start considering intercoolers which the stage III isn't designed for. Oh well...

Delorean Industries
04-10-2013, 08:11 PM
DPI has this covered. We have succesfully pushed the PRV head from 103 cfm to over 250. We plan to formally release our new PRV derived power plant in the first weeks of May. Anyone interested in the before and after flow numbers feel free to email us for a copy at [email protected]

Our system will not be offered with two high end packages one at 200 whp+ and one at 250whp+ depending on the tune purchased. The complete engine will be sub 13,000 retail as well.

Silverbullet
04-11-2013, 12:06 AM
DPI has this covered. We have succesfully pushed the PRV head from 103 cfm to over 250. We plan to formally release our new PRV derived power plant in the first weeks of May. Anyone interested in the before and after flow numbers feel free to email us for a copy at [email protected]

Our system will not be offered with two high end packages one at 200 whp+ and one at 250whp+ depending on the tune purchased. The complete engine will be sub 13,000 retail as well.

ah.... why do you tell us....what it will NOT be offered with...???

ALEXAKOS
04-11-2013, 02:12 AM
ah.... why do you tell us....what it will NOT be offered with...???

hehehe
I think the word "NOT" was a typo. I stumbled upon that too and it looked funny.
Unless Josh is planning to offer ALL other options but DON'T ask him for 200 and 250 ones. Those are bad luck:smashfreak:

Delorean Industries
04-11-2013, 09:57 AM
hehehe
I think the word "NOT" was a typo. I stumbled upon that too and it looked funny.
Unless Josh is planning to offer ALL other options but DON'T ask him for 200 and 250 ones. Those are bad luck:smashfreak:

Not was actually meant to be a now*

ALEXAKOS
04-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Not was actually meant to be a now*

No worries! Gotcha!

BTW watched all your YOUTUBE vids. GREAT job!
Makes them fun to watch and you got great skills self filming... your self.... while driving! Better then when you are being filmed actually. :thumbup2:

PS you are on the right road with DeLorean shop. Acting is not your thing! hehehe :blackeye:
On a side note... Too many short preview/ teaser trailers.

1batt4u
04-11-2013, 11:04 AM

How much torque?

Delorean Industries
04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
How much torque?

depends on how we tune it. The PRV loves to produce torque which is what causes things to break. I am out of the shop taking care of a family matter until mid day tomorrow. I can post more regarding our new offerings then.

Nicholas R
04-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Josh, any chance you plan on producing or selling transmission upgrades and improvements in the future? If nothing else, could you be a domestic distributor for the quaife LSD and the single piece input shaft? Just a thought. Keep up the good work, :thumbup:

Delorean Industries
04-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Josh, any chance you plan on producing or selling transmission upgrades and improvements in the future? If nothing else, could you be a domestic distributor for the quaife LSD and the single piece input shaft? Just a thought. Keep up the good work, :thumbup:

The deal should be in ink shortly for LSD components. I am testing our version of the transmission coupler currently in the mule. I should be able to cut the previous offerings cost considerably.

Starglider
04-12-2013, 05:54 AM

That would be about 240 and 300 BHP, the former is about the output of a well-tuned BAE turbo install but might just barely be possible with EFI NA. Presumably the later is turbo or supercharged?

BABIS
04-12-2013, 07:49 AM
That would be about 240 and 300 BHP, the former is about the output of a well-tuned BAE turbo install but might just barely be possible with EFI NA. Presumably the later is turbo or supercharged?

I don't have a direct experience, but it's hard to believe that a good BAE can give about 240 bhp. if you think that the engine of the Safrane biturbo ( prv 3.0L, 2 turbos, Efi, ported heads, low compression) gives "only" 260 bhp...

apart from that, the worst problem of the prv (all the models) is all in the heads..
they have a bad flow because of the restrictive conduits design. here an example from a PRV ZN3J :

intake casting, note the protrusion on the left

exhaust casting, protrusion on the bottom

exhaust side after porting

note that these picture are from a later model of PRV, so the delorean conduits could be worse.

the best performance PRVs had 24 valves heads. only the last model of PRVs had this kind of heads, with the same displacement of the 12v they had a gain of about 30-40 hp..
the WM PRVs had brand new heads with 4 camshafts and 24v, better flowing and obviously a better valves angle which are not so good in the common prvs.

apart from the 24v model, all the prvs have a old dome design , no squish at all, and here lies the reason of the not so good gas mileage of the prv's..

IMHO, the first step for all the people who want to upgrade the delorean engine is the efi conversion. the original jetronic model (which is different from the european models) can only work properly with unmodified setup's, so if you are looking to engine modifications (or just at the exhaust) I think it's better to improve the fuelling efficiency. I also red that the D kjet starts to go lean at about 3000 rpm.. and you cannot change this.. so in this scenario porting the intake conduits can only make things worse.. the europen kjets had also better fuelling and ignition but they obviously were not catalyzed..

Nicholas R
04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
The deal should be in ink shortly for LSD components. I am testing our version of the transmission coupler currently in the mule. I should be able to cut the previous offerings cost considerably.

Hell yea! Glad to hear it!!

Starglider
04-13-2013, 04:22 AM
I don't have a direct experience, but it's hard to believe that a good BAE can give about 240 bhp. if you think that the engine of the Safrane biturbo ( prv 3.0L, 2 turbos, Efi, ported heads, low compression) gives "only" 260 bhp...

I was thinking of this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM8E3lKO2gg), original installs of the BAE kit seem to be more like 180 bhp (http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/dmchpcurve.gif). I assume the difference is a less restrictive cat and possibly cams, he didn't mention EFI anywhere.

I'll post dyno graphs from my car when we get to tuning the engine, now that the transmission is strengthened Ed can give it his best shot for max output. The old-style intercoolers might limit sustained output but shouldn't be an issue for power testing & sprints.

Henrik
05-30-2013, 04:03 PM

Any update on this? I don't see anything on DPI's website....

patburton
08-29-2013, 08:56 AM
also http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/index.php?cPath=20_139

you can even find some parts for the old Reanault Alpine (like camshafts..)

Is there any other vehicles besides the Alpine that has the same engine as the Delorean? If I cant make the power I want I was looking into an engine swap. I assume an engine swap is cheaper. Does this hurt the resale value (If I ever sell it...)?

BABIS
08-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Is there any other vehicles besides the Alpine that has the same engine as the Delorean? If I cant make the power I want I was looking into an engine swap. I assume an engine swap is cheaper. Does this hurt the resale value (If I ever sell it...)?

there are a lot of other cars with the PRV engine, but only the Alpines and the Venturis have the sportier versions from factory...