PDA

View Full Version : Esurance BTTF ad

Shep
04-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Saw this commercial last night and thought I'd share. Esurance put out an ad featuring a budget time machine made from a third-generation Camaro ('82 to '92), a play on the BTTF franchise. Even had their own Doc Brown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVbBHXSpk2w

ALEXAKOS
04-17-2013, 04:29 AM
hehehee. Not bad looking time machine those 3rd Gen bodies!
Imagine a KITT time machine combination. The absolute law enforcement vehicle. Get to the crime before it happens. :headscratch:
Or will the crime occur after all?

Michael
04-17-2013, 04:52 AM
If they cheap out so much as to not even rent a real time machine for their own ad, think how much they will invest in you as their customer.

Jonathan
04-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Imagine a KITT time machine combination. The absolute law enforcement vehicle. Get to the crime before it happens. :headscratch:
Or will the crime occur after all?

I think this is a photoshop, but you get the idea...

ALEXAKOS
04-17-2013, 08:18 AM
I think this is a photoshop, but you get the idea...

Exceeleeeent!

ccurzio
04-17-2013, 06:50 PM
If they cheap out so much as to not even rent a real time machine for their own ad, think how much they will invest in you as their customer.

Meh... I disagree with the original post anyway. Not everything involving time travel is a reference to BTTF.

It's not a "play on BTTF", it's just a time travel gag. *shrug*

What?

You'll notice that the time vehicle in this ad had to suffer an accident at the very beginning. They didn't "cheap out" by not renting a DeLorean time machine, they just weren't going for a direct BTTF reference. They'd have had to destroy or damage a "real time machine" for the sake of the ad. Probably why they used an old Camaro.

Incidentally, renting a time machine for the hour or two it would've taken to shoot would have cost a fraction of the budget for this ad considering the end result. Between the car, the props, the casting, filming, and ESPECIALLY the CG, it's really silly to assume they went the "cheap" route just because they didn't have a DeLorean.

BTTF-1
04-17-2013, 06:56 PM
I never saw it, Pretty cool!
Thanks for sharing.

Ed:wiggle::wiggle::frantic::frantic::wiggle::wiggl e:

ALEXAKOS
04-18-2013, 02:42 AM
I agree with Chris.
The choice of the vehicle does not reflect on how serious the ad is or the company.

Maybe the use of the real BTTF delorean would have taken too much attraction leaving the service or brand unnoticed.
It is the advertisers great fear not to make the story or elements involved too extravagant that may hide the product or service being advertised.

I am sure can recall a few very awesome ads but do not remember what the product was.

Shep
04-18-2013, 09:01 AM

The point of the commercial was that the time machine got into some sort of accident, which they did by flipping it on its roof. No one would rent their BTTF DeLorean out knowing this was going to take place, so you'd have to buy one to do this. The doors aren't easy to open when you're on the roof, and any other staged accident would make a perfectly good BTTF DeLorean go to waste, something which would not sit well with the BTTF community nor the DeLorean community. Even half of the DeLorean community protests BTTF conversions themselves, but no one cares when converting a Camaro.

I think the important phrase to remember here is "no BTTF DeLoreans were harmed in the making of this ad" :)

Although I will say that when my Mom first watched it, in the scene where it was on its roof, she asked "Is that a DeLorean?!", so their intent was accomplished in some regard.

Farrar
04-18-2013, 09:28 AM
"Doc Brown doesn't drive a fucking IROC-Z!"

-Alternate Universe Bob Gale

ALEXAKOS
04-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Well I think that most of that stuff was computer aided animation again so no worries on damaging the car.

What I find totally ridiculous is that the system has gone top idiotic so that the commercial has to add a foot note "Do Not Attempt" to avoid some idiot trying to do it???? Really? Cause I can see someone actually bringing a lawsuit on the insurance for NOT telling them NOT TO DO THIS.

So the company may be liable for such stuff? :shameful:

Farrar
04-18-2013, 10:22 AM
What I find totally ridiculous is that the system has gone top idiotic so that the commercial has to add a foot note "Do Not Attempt" to avoid some idiot trying to do it???? Really?

Check out the Ford (I think) commercial where the fine print reads "Fictionalization. Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt. Seriously, cars cannot fly." LOL

Nicholas R
04-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Check out the Ford (I think) commercial where the fine print reads "Fictionalization. Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt. Seriously, cars cannot fly." LOL

Plus they're an insurance company so all they ever think about is liability, lol