PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Transporting a DeLorean long distances

beernpizzalover
04-14-2013, 11:57 AM
I was seeking the advice of anyone online here who might have experience transporting a DMC-12 a considerable distance - like 1000+ miles.
Would it be best to hire a OTR trucking company or independent driver to haul the vehicle on a flatbed trailer (with a cover over the car, of course)?
Or would I be better off putting the car in the back of a U-Haul and making the journey myself, or with a friend?
I'm just curious on the most cost-effective way to move a car from Chicago to Seattle. Thanks in advance for any input you might have!

Jacko
04-14-2013, 12:50 PM
I was seeking the advice of anyone online here who might have experience transporting a DMC-12 a considerable distance - like 1000+ miles.
Would it be best to hire a OTR trucking company or independent driver to haul the vehicle on a flatbed trailer (with a cover over the car, of course)?
Or would I be better off putting the car in the back of a U-Haul and making the journey myself, or with a friend?
I'm just curious on the most cost-effective way to move a car from Chicago to Seattle. Thanks in advance for any input you might have!I had the opportunity to ship two Deloreans to different destinations last year. One car went to DPI in Ohio and the other to PA. This is another 'you get what pay for' deals. The Ohio car went in an enclosed trailer 1000 miles and cost $1025.00. The PA car was hauled on an open trailer also 1000 miles and cost $550.00. I would have put the PA car in an enclosed trailer but couldn't get one in the time frame I wanted. Both cars arrived without issue but I worried about the PA car. A Delorean on an open trailer attracts a lot of attention.

If you call one of the carriers be prepared to be inundated with offers from other truckers. There is a clearing house of some sort that all the carriers subscribe to I think.

eagle-co94
04-14-2013, 03:51 PM
I would say DO NOT put a cover on the car for shipping. The cover will flap and bang the crap out of the body, basically polishing that spot. You don't drive a car with a cover on it, so only 1000 miles cross country should be nothing for a car. I just transported a DeLorean about 2800 miles cross country with an open car hauler and it arrived dirty, but after a bath it was fine.

eagle-co94
04-14-2013, 03:53 PM
I paid $1050 for the 2800 mile tow via uShip. The carrier was insured and I had great coverage of my own on the DeLorean so I wasn't concerned at all. Any damage in transit would have been covered, of which there was none.

-edit- This shipment was in January 2013.

DeLorean03
04-14-2013, 04:10 PM
I paid about $800 to get my car from Monroeville, AL to Dayton, OH - 617 miles - enclosed trailer - June 2012. I have the company's info at home if you need it.

DMCMW Dave
04-14-2013, 04:21 PM
I generally recommend Passport Transport Co. Always enclosed and typically the other cars on the truck are worth as much or more than the DeLorean. No affilation, just we've used them a lot and never had an issue.

The biggest problem with brokers/U-ship is that you never know who the carrier is going to be. Sometimes they are pros with an empty space on the truck, sometimes they are idiots trying to get into the trucking business. You'll get very mixed reviews because of this.

Even in a closed carrier the car may get a bit dusty on the trip, but you won't have to worry about rocks and vandalism.

refugeefromcalif
04-14-2013, 04:47 PM
I'll chime in on this.

I needed to ship 6599 to DMC Florida for warranty work and some upgrades a few weeks ago.
I did some searches on the inter-webs for transport companies but, ended up asking Tony @ DMC F who they used, And Trusted when they shipped their cars.

I ended up paying $875 for a bit over a 700 mile trip and was Very Happy with the enclosed trailer, driver and the Company that it went there in.
I wouldn't even Consider an Open trailer for my car.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18204&d=1365970870

(Of course once my car is ready, I have to pay that again to get it back to me)...

I'd recommend an Enclosed trailer and, a carrier that has their own trucks and drivers. Stay away from brokers! (If you value/love your car).

George

EDIT: Call a local DMC dealer/vender to you now, or a vender close to where you want the car moved to. See who they recommend for transporting.
Just saw Daves post. :)

eagle-co94
04-14-2013, 05:42 PM
I would only choose an enclosed carrier if the car is an investment and not driven. It would have more likelihood of being damaged while being driven then being hauled. Having said that, it's a car, and it's meant to be driven.

Shep
04-14-2013, 06:16 PM
I had mine hauled on an open transport, and I got lucky with it. It came out very dirty (but washed up fine), strange plant life in various locations, thank god it never rained on the trip since the window was stuck down and the cover the PO put on it had torn off somewhere along the way. I'm definitely going enclosed from now on.

One thing to consider about open transports: the car carriers are quite a bit taller than semi trucks. We get semis down our street all the time, and never have a problem. But when the open transport backed up into our street, he got about 100 feet before a phone line caught on the back of an SUV and he couldn't go any further. The guy was Russian, so while he spoke English, the language barrier proved difficult, and I just ended up backing it off and coasting it downhill (didn't run at the time). Here's a picture I took:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18209&d=1365977502

It's the white one level with the sideview mirrors. Thank god the PO had removed the fender antenna and laid it across the hood, or it would've snapped right off (it's a stiff mast). After I backed it off, my Dad had to hold up a fiberglass pole to raise the cable enough so the guy could leave. Apparently they keep one handy for that exact reason. An enclosed transport would not have had the same issue.

DMCMW Dave
04-14-2013, 06:53 PM
An enclosed transport would not have had the same issue.

Actually it might have, but it would only damage the truck and/or your cable TV wiring. . .

refugeefromcalif
04-14-2013, 07:00 PM
I would only choose an enclosed carrier if the car is an investment and not driven. It would have more likelihood of being damaged while being driven then being hauled. Having said that, it's a car, and it's meant to be driven.

I treat my D the same as I do All my vehicles, (that goes with anything I own), as an Investment that I want to keep in as nice of shape as possible while I own/use it.
That doesn't mean I'm going to Mistreat it, if I have $$$ to send it away for service a little Safer. (In my mind).
Dirty I don't mind but, Damaged in transit his Not an option that I'd like to happen. (Yes I know, Sh*t happens in the Best of worlds).

I drive my D more then I do my 2012 Grand Caravan because, (Like you), I believe that it's a Car and was meant to be driven.
(And it's more Fun to drive then a Mini van)... :biggrin:

I was going somewhere with this, but I had a Senior moment and my Train of thought left the station... :confused2:

George

beernpizzalover
04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
I would say DO NOT put a cover on the car for shipping. The cover will flap and bang the crap out of the body, basically polishing that spot. You don't drive a car with a cover on it, so only 1000 miles cross country should be nothing for a car. I just transported a DeLorean about 2800 miles cross country with an open car hauler and it arrived dirty, but after a bath it was fine.

Interesting...I've already purchased a car cover (with a cable tie/lock included) from the Delorean.com website. And I was already to put it to good use.
But that's some good food for thought; much-appreciated!

beernpizzalover
04-14-2013, 07:47 PM
I paid $1050 for the 2800 mile tow via uShip. The carrier was insured and I had great coverage of my own on the DeLorean so I wasn't concerned at all. Any damage in transit would have been covered, of which there was none.

-edit- This shipment was in January 2013.

Thank you for the contact name; I will Google them and get some estimates for shipping costs.
Thanks again!
Scott in Seattle

beernpizzalover
04-14-2013, 07:53 PM
I'll chime in on this.

I needed to ship 6599 to DMC Florida for warranty work and some upgrades a few weeks ago.
I did some searches on the inter-webs for transport companies but, ended up asking Tony @ DMC F who they used, And Trusted when they shipped their cars.

I ended up paying $875 for a bit over a 700 mile trip and was Very Happy with the enclosed trailer, driver and the Company that it went there in.
I wouldn't even Consider an Open trailer for my car.

(Of course once my car is ready, I have to pay that again to get it back to me)...

I'd recommend an Enclosed trailer and, a carrier that has their own trucks and drivers. Stay away from brokers! (If you value/love your car).

George

EDIT: Call a local DMC dealer/vender to you now, or a vender close to where you want the car moved to. See who they recommend for transporting.
Just saw Daves post. :)

An excellent reminder about contactiong the DMC dealers themselves to see who they recommend - and trust!
FYI, I visted the DMC (Florida) in Bonita Springs last Fall; they're some great guys down there!!

beernpizzalover
04-14-2013, 07:57 PM
I have the company's info at home if you need it.

That would be great - if you can find their name & number. No real hurry, I'm just gathering-up some estimates at this point in time.
Thanks a lot!
Scott

beernpizzalover
04-14-2013, 08:00 PM
If you call one of the carriers be prepared to be inundated with offers from other truckers. There is a clearing house of some sort that all the carriers subscribe to I think.

I think you're right! I was king of warned about the same thing a few days ago while talking to one local trucker. :)

beernpizzalover
04-14-2013, 08:04 PM
I generally recommend Passport Transport Co. Always enclosed and typically the other cars on the truck are worth as much or more than the DeLorean. No affilation, just we've used them a lot and never had an issue.

The biggest problem with brokers/U-ship is that you never know who the carrier is going to be. Sometimes they are pros with an empty space on the truck, sometimes they are idiots trying to get into the trucking business. You'll get very mixed reviews because of this.

Even in a closed carrier the car may get a bit dusty on the trip, but you won't have to worry about rocks and vandalism.

I heard Passport mentioned the other day in talking with someone else. Thanks for the back-up recommendation - and advice!

Shep
04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Actually it might have, but it would only damage the truck and/or your cable TV wiring. . .Backwards, yes. Forwards it should've been fine, as the curvature of the cab would have pushed the cable up and over the trailer. Open transports don't have that kind of luxury since the cars can get caught going either direction (VW Bus comes to mind).

Although a single-level enclosed transport would be fine wherever it goes, and there's no "elevator" necessary. More maneuverable, and you may be able to ensure that there aren't other cars to damage it. Pianos may be a different story, as Iznodmad can attest to (Shipping Wars ;) ). Depending on who you go with, this may or may not be more expensive than a double-level enclosed transport, but you get what you pay for. The cheapest prices are probably amateurs who run the risk of screwing something up and causing damage, particularly if it's their first time shipping something with wheels.

DMCMW Dave
04-14-2013, 08:21 PM
The problem with U-ship is that you are guaranteed to get the low bidder. Not always what you want for something like this.

eagle-co94
04-14-2013, 08:26 PM
That's the advantage of uShip. You don't get the lowest bidder unless you want it. You'll automatically get 2-3 bids shortly after posting an ad and then the rest will trickle in. I actually picked a shipper a couple bids above the shipper because of their length of membership with uShip, feedback rating and the fact they had insurance. The pickup and dropoff went very well and they were VERY accommodating.

Rich W
04-15-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm just curious on the most cost-effective way to move a car from Chicago to Seattle. Thanks in advance for any input you might have!

A lot of factors to consider and I have done a lot of towing over most of the continental US. Since you will need to go through the mountains
on your trip, if you tow the vehicle yourself, make sure you have plenty of size, torque and braking power on the tow vehicle and on the trailer.
Do not go for the "minimum requirements" for this type of transport, since you may need some "reserve" braking if you encounter rain and snow.

Open transport is not too bad if you are doing the transport yourself and, when stopped, you can keep a cover on the car, such as overnight.
I prefer using an open trailer with a stone shield on the front, to help protect the car from flying rocks, etc., but good oversize mudflaps help too.
Enclosed trailers are great for long distance hauls, but make sure you use a hitch with anti-sway bars and load-leveling bars, when necessary.

As for getting a good transport company to do the job for you, there are several good choices and although U-ship does have "evereyone"
bidding on transports, this also means there are some good and great companies out there that are "empty" for a return trip, so these companies
will sometimes bid low too, just so the driver will not have to "dead head" back without a load. If they can cover their fuel, they will be happy.

Good Luck with selecting your transport method.

OverlandMan
04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
$600 to ship mine from Phoenix to Dallas last summer. It was an open trailer. Worked out fine. Don't remember the shipping company I used. So many of them are brokers and not actual transport companies. Like one poster previously said, be prepared to be inundated with emails and phone calls. Once they get your info its like a pack of rabid wolves. Must be a saturated market or something...

Dangermouse
04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
As Scott is new-ish here, he perhaps missed all the shipping excitement last fall:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5121-Shipping-Wars-DeLorean&highlight=uship

Iznodmad
04-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Just when I thought everyone forgot about that. Thanks Dermot! J/k.

ArnieBrandon
04-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Take the car to Dave and have it totally checked out as you probably would do/have done by Toby anyway in Bellevue, WA. (lives in the Seattle area, purchased the car in Kansas, currently stored in Ill). Have yourself some fun by then driving the car out to the Seattle area. A two (2) day trip? The money you would spend on transport would then be spent PRIOR to moving it to Seattle, OR you could spend money on transport then have the car totally gone over by Toby. Want me to act as your agent? Maximum return/fun on your investment guaranteed. Will someone say that Toby WAS my friend?
Your Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club (PNDC) at your service.

beernpizzalover
04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Take the car to Dave and have it totally checked out as you probably would do/have done by Toby anyway in Bellevue, WA. (lives in the Seattle area, purchased the car in Kansas, currently stored in Ill). Have yourself some fun by then driving the car out to the Seattle area. A two (2) day trip? The money you would spend on transport would then be spent PRIOR to moving it to Seattle, OR you could spend money on transport then have the car totally gone over by Toby. Want me to act as your agent? Maximum return/fun on your investment guaranteed. Will someone say that Toby WAS my friend?
Your Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club (PNDC) at your service.

Wish I had a 3 or 4 weekdays to spare this Spring/Summer, but it currently doesn't look that way.
I guess it's good to be swamped at work, as opposed to the alternative...

Thanks to everyone for their transportation suggestions!
Scott H.