PDA

View Full Version : Bannings***Split From Increasing DeLorean values.***

lindbergh
04-14-2013, 12:03 PM
OUCH!!!! It appears the OP got perm. banned. Man, that's hardcore.

eagle-co94
04-14-2013, 12:18 PM
I think there should be a list or a thread started somewhere showing the screennames that have been banned and why. That way the rest of the forum members can be sure that the forum rules are being adhered to and bans are not the result of differing opinions or getting butt-hurt.

lindbergh
04-14-2013, 12:36 PM
^x2. Maybe the mission statement should be changed to remove the 'and debate'.

Welcome to DMCTalk.org: an open forum dedicated to the discussion and debate about our beloved sports car the DeLorean, . . .

Ron
04-14-2013, 12:51 PM
OUCH!!!! It appears the OP got perm. banned. Man, that's hardcore.
The OP was recently banned short term for previous violations of the rules, after several warnings, which he ignored and threatened to just make new accounts if banned.....
IHMO, it is not hardcore to then ban someone for making off topic, political/anarchial posts (which are deleted before many see them...) in an obvious attempt to belittle another member.
He had his chance, and then some.

I think there should be a list or a thread started somewhere showing the screennames that have been banned and why. That way the rest of the forum members can be sure that the forum rules are being adhered to and bans are not the result of differing opinions or getting butt-hurt. Posting the hows and whys (or leaving most posts violating the rules) would make the rules set up to keep things DeLorean oriented, civil, and "clean", etc all but useless. It would probably cut down on a lot of the threads being pushed off topic, trashed with debate -- so much for rules on those eh? :facepalm:
Anyway, the Admin/Mod team has posted several times asking members to PM one of us if there are any questions about bans...

^x2. Maybe the mission statement should be changed to remove the 'and debate'.

Welcome to DMCTalk.org: an open forum dedicated to the discussion and debate about our beloved sports car the DeLorean, . . .Debate is good and solicited -- Just not political or religious oriented debates. (Including those where some like to walk along or drag one foot all-the-way-down the line. :wink: )

================

Again, keep in mind that you don't see a lot of the posts before they are deleted. We try to get people to calm down and play along, repetedly -- sometimes they just don't want to play ball...

thirdmanj
04-14-2013, 01:14 PM
He was banned because he just couldn't resist making a political quip to insult another member. He'd been banned for it (temporarily) before. He had it comming.

eagle-co94
04-14-2013, 03:50 PM
If the mods are open to answering questions about bans offline then that would satisfy my curiousity. I've seen on several forums where mods rule with an iron fist and ban anyone that disagrees with them. I was recently banned from a forum for calling out a mod for violating the unwritten rule I was accused of, overposting. I never got an explanation how answering a lot of questions that had gone unanswered meant overposting.

Ron
04-14-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm back.

And in style too!

You must be an idiot. If you think that my last posts were offense then you are a loser and can't live in the real world.

You probably think that you are some internet guru and drive around in a DeLorean because you are sooo cool and get to ban members of a board that most of the world knows nothing about. Get real, the world does not care.

I am sorry that you were picked on in high school but get over it.

You can ban my ass foreve but I already have another handel that I use and have been using since mid 2012. You will never find it and I am on it weekly, so oh well. BTW, I use that when I am at Starbucks and other places so good luck with that IP address too.

Here is some free advice. Chill out, don't worry about people upsetting your little democratic board and make sure to drive the D often because it is fun!

Peace out

Sean

PS- I honestly think that you are giving me a hard time because I am black. I am going to check into that and if that is the case you and your board are screwed!

Farrar
04-14-2013, 07:47 PM
FWIW, I think the moderators here have been pretty even-handed overall. A price-fixing scheme would have sent up a red flag for me, and if someone decides to violate rules which are plainly and clearly posted, then someone can expect to get banned. I've been on other forums where there's more flamebait and in-jokes than information. That gets very old very fast and frustrates anyone who comes to your site in search of something useful. I may not like everyone on DMCTalk and not everyone here may like me, but I came back because I think it's the best forum on the web for DeLorean info and keeping up with other owners. It's not perfect, but it's free, so what more can we ask for?

Thus endeth my $.02.

Farrar

thirdmanj
04-14-2013, 07:50 PM
And in style too!

Somebody should give him Bill R's email. I bet they'd get along very well.

sdg3205
04-14-2013, 07:54 PM
The race card.... really?!

My default assumption is everyone here is a white nerdy guy.... like me. I guess we should all feel terrible about my assumptions, playing the white nerdy guy race card 'n all.

Jonathan
04-14-2013, 08:12 PM
FWIW, I think the moderators here have been pretty even-handed overall. A price-fixing scheme would have sent up a red flag for me, and if someone decides to violate rules which are plainly and clearly posted, then someone can expect to get banned. I've been on other forums where there's more flamebait and in-jokes than information. That gets very old very fast and frustrates anyone who comes to your site in search of something useful. I may not like everyone on DMCTalk and not everyone here may like me, but I came back because I think it's the best forum on the web for DeLorean info and keeping up with other owners. It's not perfect, but it's free, so what more can we ask for?

Thus endeth my $.02.

Farrar

Well this thought above is up to 4 cents because I agree completely with everything Farrar here said.

Especially about the moderators being fair part. Somethings you like and something you don't. I'm happy though that they give you the opportunity to find out what flies and what doesn't, get some time to cool off if needed, and recognize not everyone is cut from the same cloth (and won't handle various comments the same way as someone else might).

Fair is key. Knowing you are pushing your luck and continuing to be a child means you're gone and shouldn't be surprised about it.

Farrar
04-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Somebody should give him Bill R's email. I bet they'd get along very well.

We'll see -- they're on an e-mail list together.

OverlandMan
04-15-2013, 09:50 AM
The race card.... really?!

No kidding. I like how he threatened Ron on the PS by saying if that's the case you and your board are screwed.

What a joke.

Mike C.
04-15-2013, 10:39 AM
I 've just seen this, as I have just returned from the Celebration Exotic Car Festival weekend.

I'm not going to re-open all unnecessary of this topic except to say that comments like:

seanroth: You can ban my ass foreve but I already have another handel that I use and have been using since mid 2012. You will never find it and I am on it weekly, so oh well. BTW, I use that when I am at Starbucks and other places so good luck with that IP address too.

and the attitudes of persons like this are what drive people away from DMCTalk.

We have banned persons from this forum for one reason or another, and it's never after one offense. It's those select few that decide that warning after warning after warning does not apply to them and continue to either badger persons on the board, troll for a response, or continue to make snide remarks--including those going political, or showing general disrespect for another forum member or members, we finally have no choice but to issue bans.

With that being said, persons like seanroth or steve rice (and no, I have no problem calling people out at all) who have nothing better to do with their lives except create new logins with the sole intention of disrupting the forum and causing a disruption by carrying on the same attitudes and activities which caused their bans in the first place are the number one thing we as Administrators and Moderators have to deal with.

For whatever reason, these trolls have nothing but a need to disrupt the information flow this forum provides. If these persons were such delorean enthusiasts, why not just participate on the forum properly and CONTRIBUTE, rather than be a distraction and tear down the hard work that others have put forth in an effort to help out? No, instead these persons feel that it's 'fun' to be complete internet assholes (for lack of a better term) by constantly trying to rejoin a community they were banned from FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS.

The sad truth is, if one of them bothered to apologize and make some kind of good faith gesture, I would have had no problem with allowing them to come back to the forum on a moderated basis, and then if no further issues, restore them to active status. But instead, they decided to make multiple logins in order to make immature posts like what you've seen in this thread, or in one case, posting a video of them creating a fake login in order to post on DMCTalk, thinking they were being funny or creative.

Unfortunately, until these people figure out they are not wanted here, they are going to keep disrupting real member's activities, and for that I apologize.

ccurzio
04-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Well said, Mike.

Nicholas R
04-15-2013, 01:35 PM
I used to moderate a forum a few years back and it was always the same. Banned folks always thought they could get away with other handles. Thing is, even under another name they couldn't hide the fact that it was them and always got caught.

Honestly, if they started another name, stayed below the radar, and never got caught, I never cared because it meant they weren't disrupting the forum. I never hunted ip addresses or anything. As far as I was concerned, if you could make another name and actually contribute to the forum positively then who cares. But they never could; they always slipped up and it would come out who they were and they'd get banned again (not even as much because it was that person but because of the kind of crap they'd be pulling again).

Granted that was the kind of forum where nobody really knew each other in the real world. Anonymity was easy. Obviously it's even more difficult to stay anonymous here when so many people know each other in the real world. Plus things like VINs, locations, actual names, etc. really help identify one another.

Edit: this is my 1234th post! (Only excited because I missed all my other milestones, lol)

Ron
04-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Well said, Mike.
That's why he gets the big bucks..

sdg3205
04-15-2013, 09:14 PM
That's why he gets the big bucks..

Raises for everyone!