PDA

View Full Version : For Sale For Sale: 1981 Delorean 5 speed, gray leather, 21k miles, only 200 miles on motor

jdavies77
04-16-2013, 04:01 PM
I figure I will offer my car to the true enthusiasts before throwing it to the dogs on Ebay.

I purchased this car on a whim and found out that although it's always been a dream to own one, it's better to consult the better half and get permission than to hear weeks of bickering about how one can afford such a car but can't afford simple things for the kids..whoops.

So here goes, everything I know, working on getting the receipts to back up what I've been told.

This car as purchased new in Anchorage Alaska in 1981, it spent a short stint there and was then hauled to San Diego in 1983 where it would it's permanent outdoor home for the next 20+ years.

In 2008 the original owner passed away and his nephew purchased the car and had it hauled to Arizona. His first trip out (mind you, the car hadn't been driven in 5 years) was left with him stranded with a blown head gasket. Money being no object for this guy, he shipped the car to MN where he had his Chevy dealership use Delorean parts from DMC and rebuilt the motor from the ground up. (working on receipts) He then took the car back to Arizona where not even 200 miles on the motor the intake started to leak through a little pinhole, the leak made it's way to built up oil and caught the muffler on fire. The car remained running the whole time and the fire was put out immediately, some electrical tape took a beating as did the rear left side vent on the louver. Everything else was in tact so the owner then shipped the car back to MN where they fixed the leak on the intake.

Recently he purchased a 1972 Olds Cutlass convertible with the 442 w130 package (the Judge, only 2 made) and decided it wasn't worth sending the car back down to Arizona where it would just sit in storage. (oh to have too many cool cars huh?)

As far as the car goes: 1981, 5 spd, gray leather, no gas flap, 21k original miles, drivers seat has a tear in it behind where your left shoulder rests, the dash is cracked and faded from the sun and has a carpeted pad over it. The seats themselves are dingy fro being old as is the carpet. (A set of new seat covers is $599 from DMC) The shift boot for the 5 speed is loose and the steering column itself feels as if it is low and wobbles around in the bushing. (feels like a tilt steering in low position, probably needs a new bushing)

The weather stripping is cracked and faded and the windshield also is cracked from the rear view mirror snapping off. ($450 for the windshield, $260 for a weather strip kit)

Both door struts are weak, they can lift the door up, but not hold it at the 90 degree angle. The aftermarket radio also does not come on, it does come with a replacement radio that's in the trunk. Both power windows function correctly as does the blower motor for the heat. Brake light flickers on and off from the E-Brake lever not going down completely and the drivers door light also stays on from a bad sensor I believe.

The car runs amazing and I was told the clutch was recently rebuilt along with the motor. The tires have like new tread on them and other than a few minor scratches and one pea sized ding on the driver fender, the body is near perfect. (front fascia has a little sun warpage if you really want to get picky, can only be noticed when sitting in the car. The left side vent to the rear of the louvers is missing and the left strut on the engine cover is not as strong as the right so it opens slowly favoring one side. The "DMC" on the front grille is also missing.

Everything I've mentioned would be easily less than $2,000 in parts to redo and have a $25k car, I however need to sell and get my investment back before I find all of my belonging in the front yard.

I think I've covered the car to the best of my ability with the limited experience I've had with it for the past month. Please feel free to ask any questions and I would be more than happy to send pics. Please no low ball offer, I watch Ebay and even ones that won't start or are wrecked can still get $12k +, just looking for the best offer I can and save on the hassle of Ebay, shipping and cashiers checks.

Thanks!!

Dangermouse
04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
I

I think I've covered the car to the best of my ability with the limited experience I've had with it for the past month. Please feel free to ask any questions and I would be more than happy to send pics.

Can you post a price too, please, to keep with the rules of this section. We aren't an auction site :)

I take it that you are the current owner, yes? Does it have a clean title?

Some pics posted here would generate a lot more interest, particularly of the areas in need of work.

OverlandMan
04-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Everyone is going to want to see pics so post those ASAP. Also, assuming the car is in MN in accordance w/ your profile location? What's your asking price? I think that's required per the forum rules.

dmc6960
04-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Being a well seasoned owner from the Minneapolis area I'd be willing to inspect this car for any parties considering a purchase.

jdavies77
04-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Can you post a price too, please, to keep with the rules of this section. We aren't an auction site :)

I take it that you are the current owner, yes? Does it have a clean title?

Some pics posted here would generate a lot more interest, particularly of the areas in need of work.

Asking $18k, knowing that with the motor work already being done and the body being as nice it is, it only really needs interior work. With that said, $2-3k will easily have a $25k car. Obviously most people know this, but I'm not out to shoot myself in the foot when I could put the money into it and have a much better resale value and some profit to boot. That being said, I don't think the significant other is willing to wait for my procrastination for said items to be fixed.

The title is clean and clear and in my name.

I just dropped the car off for an interior and exterior detail. So the only pic I have is one from my cell phone the other day. But I guess something is better than nothing.

I'll try and swing by the detail shop on the way home and get a full pic, this pic shows the small pea sized dent just behind the decal

jdavies77
04-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Being a well seasoned owner from the Minneapolis area I'd be willing to inspect this car for any parties considering a purchase.

When I get it back from being detailed I'll have it in my warehouse in Spring Lake Park, I'm there weekdays from 9-5pm, I'm more than happy to have you come in and check it out and encourage it as you can probably give much better detail then I can as I am a newbie.

Thanks!!

jdavies77
04-16-2013, 05:26 PM

Although not a pic of my car, this is the vent that is presently missing. DMC has it priced at $37.

Ron
04-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Missing posts? -- Click Here (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5614-For-sale-section-rules-please-read-before-posting!!)

jdavies77
04-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Here's some better pics:

The center console is actually in really good shape other than the shifter bezel. The dash has glue on it from the carpeted cover being glued down. The engine cover is cracked on the left side as shown in the pic. The car didn't leak at all while being washed.

Questions on here will be answered as quickly as I can, otherwise you can email or private message me. Thanks!!

OverlandMan
04-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Wow....that seems really high for a car in need of that much work. That black stripe on the hood is nasty as well.....
I may be a newbie here, but if this is what sells for 18k....then mine must be worth twice that.

Just my .02

This is a great example of a troll post. This thread is about a car that is for sale by the OP. No reason to comment further unless you're interested in the car or the OP has broken a forum rule, etc.

Come on guys

jdavies77
04-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Wow....that seems really high for a car in need of that much work. That black stripe on the hood is nasty as well.....
I may be a newbie here, but if this is what sells for 18k....then mine must be worth twice that.

Just my .02

As stated, I am asking $18k, nothing said the price was firm.

Also, please follow the ruls as outlined on this forum.

3. A person may sell their item for whatever price they want. Please do not make any comments about their asking price being too high. If no one buys it, the seller can lower their price.

8. Members: STOP posting remarks like "free bump,good guy or good item”. If you are NOT going to purchase the items listed. Remarks like "you can get it cheaper at so and so place" are NOT allowed.
Again, do not post a question or remark if you do not intend to buy the item.

Michael
04-24-2013, 12:02 PM
This car is listed on eBay as just being sold for 13.5k. Was this your ad?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-DMC-Delorean-5-spd-gray-leather-fresh-motor-org-20k-miles-no-reserve-/370799196084?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123&item=370799196084&forcev4exp=true

Dangermouse
04-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Hood matches and VINs match, so i would say YES (in case the OP doesn't return now that his pockets are full of cash :) ).

Dangermouse
04-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Hole in his pockets.

Relisted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370803326602