PDA

View Full Version : LED door and side marker lights

Tomcio
04-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Hello everyone,

I came up with an idea for a high quality LED replacements for the door lights and side marker lights. Other lights will follow if this project works out.
I have designed a custom circuit board that replaces the original light bulb and provides comparable amount of light while using a lot less power and creating very little heat. I have made a sample set to test the idea and see how it turns out. I am very pleased with the results.
I would like to go ahead with the project and start production but I need to know if there's enough interest out there. The more orders I get the lower the final price will be. With 10 orders a complete set of six door lights or four side marker lights will cost $80 with free shipping.

Door lights:
Custom circuit board with four LEDs with three chips each for a total of 12 LEDs in each light:
18402 18401 18405 18400 18404

Each light needs just 0.67W for a total of 4W for all six lights! That's less power than just one original bulb! This means you can leave the doors open at shows without worrying about your battery dying.
They provide uniform brightness from about 10 to over 35 volts. The power is controlled by an IC mounted on the board.
There are no tools required for installation. Just remove the bulb and install the new board. That's it.

Side marker lights:
Custom circuit board with six LEDs with three chips each for a total of 18 LEDs in each light:

Each side marker light needs about 1W of power and provides uniform brightness from about 9 to 35 volts. The power is controlled by two ICs.
In this case the installation is more difficult as the backing of the light will need to be cut off. The original socket requires just a small round hole. The new board is the size of the center section and the backing needs to be cut off.

Please let me know if there is any interest. If this project works out there is a plan to make interior dome lights, front turn signals and rear light assemblies. If the rear lights are made it will be a full replacement. There is a plan to make an exact replacement of the entire assembly as cutting and retrofitting the OEM lights would be too complex. Just sticking a LED bulb replacements doesn't guarantee good results. With a whole new assembly the possibilities are endless.

Check out my little site for more details. Link in my signature.

Keep in mind that the lights are NOT AVAILABLE yet. This is just an idea for a product. With enough people interested I will make it happen.

Domi
04-21-2013, 04:55 PM
This project sounds really good :thumbup2:
Sure, I will be interested by the doors lights.
About side markers, I'm sure yet. It will be nice to see a picture in dark to see if the light is fine or not.
About the rear light, definitively yes!
I always dreamed about all the red part to be light on, and more powerful when you hit the brake.
It will be nicer in the dark if we could see a bigger light, like for example on old Trans-Am.
Keep us in touch about this one!
Many thanks ;)

Tomcio
04-21-2013, 05:33 PM
This project sounds really good :thumbup2:

About side markers, I'm sure yet. It will be nice to see a picture in dark to see if the light is fine or not.

About the rear light, definitively yes!
I always dreamed about all the red part to be light on, and more powerful when you hit the brake.

Thanks Domi!

It's difficult to take a good picture in the dark.... especially because my car is in pieces and I can't even install the battery at this time. This project is in very early stages of development at this time but I will try to get some before and after pictures when it advances a little more.
Anyway, the side marker lights are the proper color as per regulation and the brightness is adjusted to be the same as the OEM light bulb. I used a lux meter to measure the light intensity of the bulb and then adjusted the LED current to get the same brightness.

For the rear I have some wild ideas... One idea is to make the lenses colorless... Frosted glass look. Then I was thinking about doing the OEM pattern or lighting up everything red. Then when the turn signal comes on the two outermost blocks would flash amber-off-amber and return to red. With reverse on the innermost blocks would turn on cool white and return to red when out of reverse. As I said, the possibilities are endless....

Domi
04-21-2013, 05:39 PM
All right, thanks for the information.
Count me in for the doors light to begin ;)

For the rear I have some wild ideas... One idea is to make the lenses colorless... Frosted glass look. Then I was thinking about doing the OEM pattern or lighting up everything red. Then when the turn signal comes on the two outermost blocks would flash amber-off-amber and return to red. With reverse on the innermost blocks would turn on cool white and return to red when out of reverse. As I said, the possibilities are endless....

That's awesome!
I hope you'll be able to do this project, it sounds really cool!
Everything red, and then the color change is a wonderful idea :thumbup2:
But you need to make a modification to the lenses?
If you do red the brake and light, it's already a big improvement I think.

DMC5180
04-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Good to here from you Tom. You've been off the grid for awhile. Keep up the good work. I've had your heated mirrors installed for 6-7 years now. :thumbup:

Lukas
04-21-2013, 08:05 PM
I'd be very interested in any taillights you could come up with. Although I don't mind the original look (amber, red and white), I think less colours (all red, or at most red and white) would give a cleaner and more modern look.

I have seen some D's with tinted taillights which also have a similar effect. I haven't seen any with a clear or all-red version.

There are so many possibilities for the rear lights, so any order could be difficult to satisfy everyone.

Another suggestion - what about clear front indicators (with an amber bulb behind). What about using this new 3D printing everyone is talking about?

Tomcio
04-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Good to here from you Tom. You've been off the grid for awhile. Keep up the good work. I've had your heated mirrors installed for 6-7 years now. :thumbup:

Dennis, I'm here and I am on the grid, but I am a fan of the DML email format. I've been on the DML since 1998. I didn't really have time to participate on the DMC Forum.
I'm really glad you like the mirrors! Thank you. This has been my first addition to the DeLorean but I hope it's not the last ;) Now I'm into the LED lights. I just love LEDs ;)

I'd be very interested in any taillights you could come up with. Although I don't mind the original look (amber, red and white), I think less colours (all red, or at most red and white) would give a cleaner and more modern look.

The way I see it is that D has no color. When you look at a picture of a D you don't really know if it's a color or b&w photo unless you look at the lights. I would like to remove the color altogether. Make the car colorless. I think it would look really good with the rear lights all grayish-white frosted glass lenses that light up all red with color change for amber turn signal and white reverse lights.
It will be a while before I'll have a working prototype as I do not like to cut corners. If I'm to make rear lights I need to make sure they are compliant with all the rules and regulations and they provide the necessary light output. People usually drive too close behind a D so a good brake light is a must.
I already have all the info regarding the required color and brightness for all the outside lights on a car for Europe and the USA.

Another suggestion - what about clear front indicators (with an amber bulb behind). What about using this new 3D printing everyone is talking about?
I'm working on the same "frosted glass" design for the front indicators. With amber LEDs of course. Stay tuned...
3D printing is great for prototyping but not for actually producing any usable components. This is especially true for a light lens. It just doesn't work like this... at least the 3D printers that I had experience with. It's meant to produce a model that you can touch and look at from all angles and then you can make the final product based on this data. You can't just print a lens or a whole light that you could install on a car. Not yet at least...

Lukas
04-21-2013, 09:04 PM
The way I see it is that D has no color. When you look at a picture of a D you don't really know if it's a color or b&w photo unless you look at the lights. I would like to remove the color altogether. Make the car colorless.

What about doing the same thing for the side marker lights?

I know that they incorporate coloured retroreflectors at either end, with a clear center section for the light. I imagine you would lose the red/amber reflector, and just use a white one in it's place?

john 05141
04-22-2013, 03:32 AM
My doors have LED's and they are not too bad.
I never put LED's in the sidemarkers becasue LED was too weak.
I'd like to see a picture inthe dark with a comparisson too, I'm interested.
also for the rear lights.

Jan

Tomcio
04-22-2013, 05:40 AM
What about doing the same thing for the side marker lights?

I know that they incorporate coloured retroreflectors at either end, with a clear center section for the light. I imagine you would lose the red/amber reflector, and just use a white one in it's place?

It is an option to remove the reflector and just install a frosted glass lens but then lighting up just the center would not make much sense. I think that we would need to make a circuit board the length of the entire light with one row of LEDs. It can be done.

My doors have LED's and they are not too bad.

LEDs get brighter every day it seems. I'm using type 5050 with three chips in each. With four in the door light I get a total of 12 LEDs and 18 LEDs for the side markers. That provides enough light.
Will a picture of both OEM and LED side marker on my desk be enough? I can't do it on a car.
Here's a comparison of the bulb and LEDs:

I'll try to take a picture of both side by side turned on. I'll post pictures tonight.

DMC5180
04-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Will this LED installation require cutting the OE bulb socket from the harness and installing a mating connector on the harness or just plugging in a wired BA9 base into the OE socket then putting protective sleeve over that connection?

Tomcio
04-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Dennis,
I haven't decided on the connection yet. I would like to use the original socket for ease of installation and to keep the harness intact. On the other hand the original socket is usually rusted so badly that it needs to be replaced anyway. In that case I would recommend using "super seal" plug and socket as they are far superior to anything that was used in the '80s.

Take care!

Chris4099
04-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Are the side marker lights polarity specific? If so, they won't work with those of us that have them modified to blink with the turn signals. I currently have LED bulbs in them now but they must have some sort of rectifier as they work with the polarity in any direction.

Tomcio
04-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Chris,
I can add a bridge rectifier to the circuit to make them work with reversing polarity. That is not a problem.
Is there a schematic for this mod? I would like to see how it's done to make sure the lights work in all setups.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Chris4099
04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Here's the guide on how to make them blink:
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/markerflash.html

Usually done on the front markers, but I've known a few other D owners that have also done this to their rear markers too.

Tomcio
04-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Jan

Jan,

Here are three pictures of the lights, LEDs on top and OEM bulb bottom. They are both connected to the same power supply set at 12.5V
It's difficult to get a good picture of a light in darkness. The difference in brightness is caused by adjusting the camera. The voltage to the lights was not changed.

Shep
04-23-2013, 12:10 AM
I can add a bridge rectifier to the circuit to make them work with reversing polarity. That is not a problem.If you could do this for both the amber and red side markers, I would be VERY interested in getting a set of these. Even more so if you could offer an option with a more diffused look to it so it looks like one uniform light rather than six dots like it does now. If you can get the diffused look for the door lights as well, I'd be interested in those too :thumbup:

john 05141
04-23-2013, 05:17 AM
I like what I see. I like the sight of that with the 6 lightpoints, looks modern.
I have replaced my sockets 2 years ago, but I cut the cables and solder the wires. I do not like connectors, certainly not there.
Also I have a system to make the sidemarkers in the front blink.

So if they work with the blinkers, and they are plug and play (I wil solder the lights anyway) I'm in on it.

btw, my 2 year old sockets do not seem so new anymore. My car hardly sees rain, and is always parked indoors, so I welcome an improvement there.
I always applaud people comming up with new things to improve the Deloreans!

What did you make for the taillights?
Welmoed and I tried the star-light LED for the rear. The arms pop open thru springs and fill the lens with LED's. Great idea, but it turned out to have some defects in it becasue both Welmoed and I had to remove them. (supplier SBL was correct enough to reimburse them)
Jan

Tomcio
04-23-2013, 06:51 AM
If you could do this for both the amber and red side markers, I would be VERY interested in getting a set of these. Even more so if you could offer an option with a more diffused look to it so it looks like one uniform light rather than six dots like it does now. If you can get the diffused look for the door lights as well, I'd be interested in those too :thumbup:

Of course I will make them for both front and rear - amber and red. Right now the first prototype board is amber but red will soon follow. I want to offer a complete set.

For a more diffused effect I mention replacement lenses on my site. With the replacement lens you don't have the # effect. The lens I have right now gives pretty good results but it's not 100% uniform. I will do some more tests with different materials for the lens. Here's what I have now:

I will experiment with the side markers as well.

I like what I see. I like the sight of that with the 6 lightpoints, looks modern.
How can I keep everyone happy ;)

I have replaced my sockets 2 years ago, but I cut the cables and solder the wires. I do not like connectors, certainly not there.
Also I have a system to make the sidemarkers in the front blink.

So if they work with the blinkers, and they are plug and play (I wil solder the lights anyway) I'm in on it.
I don't like those old connectors. They are not sealed, water gets in - trouble...

What did you make for the taillights?
Jan

For the taillights I will use a custom circuit board with four chip super flux LEDs. This is what they look like:

I already did one set of taillights and turn signals for a trailer... as a test. They came out perfect. The LEDs are extremely bright. Nissan 350Z uses the same LEDs and they are BRIGHT! For the reverse lights I want to use six chip super flux LEDs. They should provide plenty of light for reversing.
But that is still a future project. Right now the door lights are on the bench with side markers to follow. Then I plan on doing front indicators for the US and Europe with amber and white parking lights. Taillights are at the end of this queue.

DMC5180
04-23-2013, 09:11 AM
The OE sockets are Steel and prone to rusting. I think a standard 2 pin OE style (church window) connector with dielectric grease applied to the pin connections would suffice. However, if you want a more sealed style connector. You could use GM Metri-pack sealed connectors. Those assemblies are rather long but designed to be sealed and you can do the dielectric grease with them too.

Mark D
04-23-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm interested in a set of the door lights. I have some older LED's currently installed and I don't like the small dot of light they produce in the center of the lens. These look much better!

How much clearance is there behind the stock lens and the new LED's? I'd be interested in trying to install a thin layer of diffusing plexi behind it to get even better uniform lighting while still having the stock appearance when not lit.

Bitsyncmaster
04-23-2013, 05:44 PM
I did custom door LEDs 6 years ago. Maybe you can get some ideas to try looking at what I did. The LEDs available now are so much better.

Try flipping your stock lens over (smooth side in).
Paint the black rubber inside the holder silver.

I removed the socket so I could place the circuit board as far from the lens as possible. But yours is a plug and play unit which most people like. Also if you rotate your board, you get what looks like more dots.

I also made LEDs for the rear tail lights installing three circuit boards.

Shep
04-23-2013, 05:54 PM
For a more diffused effect I mention replacement lenses on my site. With the replacement lens you don't have the # effect. The lens I have right now gives pretty good results but it's not 100% uniform. I will do some more tests with different materials for the lens. Here's what I have now:

I will experiment with the side markers as well.Looks great to me! Count me in :)

The door lights I actually really like being white when off too. Blends in well with the stainless if you have them turned off while the doors are open.

How can I keep everyone happy ;)How about offering two styles for the buyer to choose from: one diffuse, and one like the first ones you posted? ;)

Tomcio
04-24-2013, 05:46 AM
I'm interested in a set of the door lights. I have some older LED's currently installed and I don't like the small dot of light they produce in the center of the lens. These look much better!

How much clearance is there behind the stock lens and the new LED's? I'd be interested in trying to install a thin layer of diffusing plexi behind it to get even better uniform lighting while still having the stock appearance when not lit.
Mark, that is exactly what I wanted to avoid - small dim point of light in the middle of the lens. That is why I decided to go with a custom circuit board.
There is about 10mm (sorry, the metric system is so much better ;)) from the top if the LED to the bottom of the lens. There is plenty enough space to install some kind of diffuser.

I did custom door LEDs 6 years ago. Maybe you can get some ideas to try looking at what I did. The LEDs available now are so much better.

Try flipping your stock lens over (smooth side in).
Paint the black rubber inside the holder silver.

I removed the socket so I could place the circuit board as far from the lens as possible. But yours is a plug and play unit which most people like. Also if you rotate your board, you get what looks like more dots.
6 years in LED development is ages! It seems that they come out with new, brighter, better LEDs every few days. One of my suppliers here in Poland has a white LED with output about 10% brighter than D2S HID burner. Amazing!
I don't like the idea of flipping the lens around. It would be a dirt catcher ;)
Painting the inside of the light is a good idea but I wouldn't expect a huge improvement. The circuit board covers the entire bottom surface so the only improvement would be on the sides of the light.
I prefer the plug-and-play approach for ease of installation and ease of returning the car to stock condition.

Looks great to me! Count me in :)

The door lights I actually really like being white when off too. Blends in well with the stainless if you have them turned off while the doors are open.

How about offering two styles for the buyer to choose from: one diffuse, and one like the first ones you posted? ;)
Yeah, but why would you have them turned off? If one light needs only 0.67 watts and all six lights will use only 4 watts there is no need to turn them off. Remember that one W5W bulb uses 5 watts! This means that all six LED lights in both doors would use less power than just ONE bulb. Leave them on!
The first one that I've posted was with OEM lens. I will offer the boards only and diffused lenses as a separate part. You either get the boards and use stock lens or order the boards and diffused lenses.

Tomcio
04-24-2013, 06:13 AM
Hello everyone,

I apologize for posting a reply to my own post but I feel that this should be posted as a separate message.

The production of my LED door lights has begun. There is enough interest in the project to move it forward.
I have already ordered the ICs and should receive them today. The LEDs should be shipped tomorrow and I should get them very soon. There is a waiting list for the circuit boards though. The company making those can't stop production just for me... there is a queue. The lead time is about 10 - 14 days.
I will post updates on the progress on the DML and DMC Talk.

Shep
04-24-2013, 10:08 AM
why would you have them turned off?I disconnect my battery when doing electrical work, and being white when off, the color alone would be an instant indicator of whether or not the battery is connected :)

Tillsy
04-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Painting the inside of the light is a good idea but I wouldn't expect a huge improvement.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14338&d=1350991817

Farrar
04-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Some exciting news for fans of LEDs: Cause of LED Efficiency Droop Finally Revealed (http://engineering.ucsb.edu/news/699).

Tomcio
04-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Chris,

Nice pictures!
Yes, painting the inside white or silver will make a big difference with stock bulbs or single point LEDs. I don't believe it will make a huge difference with my square boards though. The LEDs are in four corners of the light shining forward so there won't be very much light to reflect off the sides. I might be wrong of course... I have some aluminium foil and I will try it out when I get a chance.

Bitsyncmaster
04-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Chris,

Nice pictures!
Yes, painting the inside white or silver will make a big difference with stock bulbs or single point LEDs. I don't believe it will make a huge difference with my square boards though. The LEDs are in four corners of the light shining forward so there won't be very much light to reflect off the sides. I might be wrong of course... I have some aluminium foil and I will try it out when I get a chance.

It helps because the light refected off the lens gets bounced back.

Tomcio
05-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Just a quick update on the status...
Door lights:
The ICs and LEDs have already arrived. I'm still waiting on the resistors. The PCBs have been ordered but it will be another two to three weeks before delivery. Once all the components are here I will need a few days to complete the assembly and then I will start taking orders for the kits.

Side markers:
The schematic has been completed and tested. I am currently working on the PCB design which has been changed significantly. I will receive a test sample with the door light boards to see how it works. For now the design includes 8 instead of 6 LEDs with 3 chips each for a total of 24 LED chips in each light. It was brought to my attention that the OEM bulb provides some lights to backlight the reflector sections. The new design addresses this with two LEDs on each side. There will be four LEDs directed straight out and two on each side to backlight the reflective sections. This should provide a much better effect.
Each light will consume 1.4 watts and will provide full brightness from about 9.5V all the way up to well over 30V.
For those using the side markers as turn signals - I will include a special connector to make the light work with reversing polarity. There is a side effect of using this connector though. It will raise the minimum full brightness voltage by about 1V. This means that 100% brightness will be achieved at about 10.5V and above. Nothing really to worry about because if you get to that voltage the dimming side markers will be the last thing you will worry about ;)

I have added a status info on my site, so anyone awaiting news about this project can simply check the progress there. I will be updating the status as information becomes available. You can find the link in my signature below.

Farrar
05-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Are these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/251198702960) your handiwork?

Shep
05-07-2013, 04:49 PM

18894I'd guess not due to January purchase dates and shipment from Hong Kong ;)

Farrar
05-07-2013, 05:01 PM
I'd guess not due to January purchase dates and shipment from Hong Kong ;)

He could have outsourced the labour... :P

Tomcio
05-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Nope, that's not me. I use different LEDs (3 chip each) and the current is controlled by an IC. These boards seem to have a simple resistor.
A resistor will control the current correctly at a single voltage point. I don't like that idea since voltage varies wildly in a car. Anything from 11 to 15 volts is acceptable with spikes to over 30V. A resistor is a "static" device and can't cope with changing voltage. That is why I decided to use ICs that control current from 9 to 37 volts.
I do not outsource the work. Only the ICs and LEDs are imported. The boards are made here in Poland and entire assembly is carried out by me.

Domi
05-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Any update on the availability?
Thanks!

Tomcio
05-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Domi,

I'm still waiting for the boards. They should be arriving pretty soon as they promised to complete the work at around this time.
I will let everyone know when I have some news. For the small updates you can visit my website where I've added a table with status for every step of the production. I have all the parts needed except for the boards. At this moment I have enough LEDs, regulators and resistors to assemble about 50 boards. By the time the boards arrive I should have all the parts for the first run of 25 sets of door lights. That is 25x6 = 150 boards!

I will post pictures once I have the boards. There were some changes and improvements made. This will be a final design, version 2.0.
I don't want to spoil the anticipation, so let me just say that the pictures you have seen were of board v. 1.0. There were a few changes after that. After v. 1.5 I decided to go to production with 2.0. All together there were about 10 versions from the first crude drawing to the final product. The improvement is significant! Just wait for the pictures and I'm sure you'll agree that it was worth the wait ;)
Yeah, I know, I could have done it sooner/quicker but.... I'm a perfectionist. I want to make sure that when I'm done there will be no room for improvement.

Domi
05-29-2013, 01:01 PM
All right, thank you for your answer.
Don't worry I'm not in a big hurry, take your time :smile:

Tomcio
06-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Hello everyone,

This is just a quick update.
The new boards have arrived and I'm VERY pleased with how they came out. As I said before, it was worth the wait!
I'll post some pictures later on tonight.

Now, for the assembly. It is going to be a slow process as there are many small components that I will have to assemble by hand. It would be great to use a professional pick-and-place machine but the cost was way too high. So, I chose manual assembly. Cheaper but slower. And the fun begins....

Stand by for the pictures.

Domi
06-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the news ;)

Tomcio
06-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Here's the picture I promised:

As you can see there are three colors. Red, yellow/amber and white. The first two are self explanatory colors. The last one could be either but it is mostly for colors other than the standard two. An example will be a purple / UV set that I will be making for one of my customers.

The side marker boards are also here. I will take a picture of that shortly.

Domi
06-02-2013, 04:45 PM
PCB looks awesome!

Tomcio
06-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks Domi. This is a much better version than the first prototype.

Here's a picture of the side marker boards:

This board went through a major redesign. The original 6 LED version went to 8 LEDs. The power consumption is 1.4W per light with the same voltage range of 9 to 30V.
The small boards on both sides will be standing up on the ends of the main board and the two LEDs on each board will provide light to the reflectors on both sides. The original prototype had six LEDs pointing forward with no illumination to the side reflectors. With this new design the light should look a lot better, larger and more evenly lit.

As soon as I assemble the first boards I will take some pictures of the complete lights. It's not easy to take a picture of a light in darkness but I will do my best. Just keep in mind that when you look at the pictures you see them as my cheap camera sees them. Human eyes don't work like digital cameras. In reality the single points of light are not as visible and the surface appears a lot more evenly lit.

Hope you like 'em...

dvonk
06-03-2013, 02:07 AM
these look pretty incredible... :thumbup:

Starglider
06-03-2013, 02:36 AM
Looking forward to these. What did you think about putting some side facing LEDs on the end of each marker board, to illuminate the rest of the plastic?

NightFlyer
06-03-2013, 03:00 AM
Wow - these are looking awesome!

Count me in :thumbup:

john 05141
06-03-2013, 04:20 AM
I also like to see that working!

Jan

Tomcio
06-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Looking forward to these. What did you think about putting some side facing LEDs on the end of each marker board, to illuminate the rest of the plastic?

In the original design most of the light goes forward through the center of the light but some light goes to the sides and illuminates the reflector sections on both sides. My prototype board did not direct any light to the sides as this was just a first prototype to test the brightness and color of the light. I did think about side facing LEDs though. As it turns out the LEDs I have are bright enough and four facing forward is enough. Then there are two on each side for the reflector sections. I'll take some pictures soon to show the difference.

Domi
06-03-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm really impressed, even the side marker look awesome.
I'm sure to buy you the pcb for the doors, and now I think I will buy you even the side markers!
I'm curious to see a pictures into the dark when you'll find some time of course ;)

Tomcio
06-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Here's another quick update...

I have assembled the first boards by hand... yeah, it's a real joy soldering those SMD components ;)
I have ordered a soldering station because this is the only way this can be done properly.
In the meantime here are the pictures I promised:
Door boards with components:

Side marker board with components fully assembled:

Side marker light with the new board design:
Please notice how the side facing LEDs light up the reflectors on both sides of the lens.

I did not assemble a red side marker board as I will do it once the soldering station arrives here and I can do it properly. So, no pictures of the red side marker... at the moment.

The colorless "frosted glass" lenses for the door lights have arrived. The were laser cut and the dimensions are exactly the same as the original colored lenses. I really like the cut lines that the laser creates. It's so nice and smooth.

That's all for now...

dmc6960
06-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Very nice! Love it!

dvonk
06-06-2013, 04:01 AM
+1! i will be ordering both sets for future use. let us know when they are ready! :wiggle:

Mark D
06-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Looks great, nice job soldering all the surface mount LEDs too. I'm in for a set of these when they become available.

1batt4u
06-06-2013, 03:18 PM
When will they be ready?

Domi
06-06-2013, 05:32 PM
I'll definitively order both set too, doors and side markers, they're awesome :thumbup:

Shep
07-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Any updates on this? I checked your site, but it didn't seem to have an updated status of how this is progressing. I'm very interested in buying both sets so I can finally plug my door switches back in and go 100% LED on the exterior :)

Tomcio
07-03-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm still here and still working on assembling the lights. I know it's taking longer than I had hoped for but it's a lot of work and my eyes are not as good as they used to be...
I will let you all know when I'm ready. For now I have to ask for a little more patience.

Domi
07-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the news ;)

refugeefromcalif
07-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing when they will be available also. :)

Take your time and get them right.

George

Shep
07-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Take your time and get them right.Indeed! I (and I'm sure the rest of us as well) would much rather have it take longer and be done right than be rushed and sub-par! ;)

Tomcio
07-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Indeed! I (and I'm sure the rest of us as well) would much rather have it take longer and be done right than be rushed and sub-par! ;)
Shep, there is no such thing as "sub-par"! ;)
Seriously, if you get something from me I always make sure it is absolutely top notch.

I will let you all know when the lights are ready. It is a lot of work and so it will be some time before they are all done and tested. I will test each and every light.

Domi
07-20-2013, 04:10 AM
I saw on your website you received the electronics component and you're about 10% of making them.
Good luck for all the job, and take your time!

Tomcio
07-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Yeah, it took a long time to get those little resistors. I chose a 1% tolerance and those are mostly special order. There was some delay in getting the parts from my supplier but they are finally all here. The assembly is going at full speed now and you should see the numbers change pretty often. I will be updating the progress as it happens. It's a lot of work...

Stay tuned...

NightFlyer
08-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Always willing to wait for quality!

My money's ready for whenever they're ready!

Tomcio
09-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Hello everyone!

It's been a long time since my last update but I finally have some good news for all that are interested in this project.
First of all I feel that I owe you an apology. This project has taken a lot longer than I had hoped for. The reason for this is the number of lights and components that they require and the fact that I do all this work by hand in my free time. Those tiny surface mount components are meant to be installed by a machine. It takes a long time if you do it by hand. I'm sorry for keeping you waiting for so long.

Here's where we are right now.
The board assembly is almost complete and I'm in the final stages right now. All soldering had been finished today. All that remains is a good cleanup and waterproofing. All boards will receive a coat of special transparent urethane lacquer that will make them waterproof. The connector and the socket (part of the car) is not waterproof, of course, but if you happen to get some water inside the light it will not affect the boards.

LED door lights in numbers:
Assembled - 50 sets
Red lights - 100 pcs.
Amber lights - 200 pcs.

That corresponds to:
300 circuit boards
1200 LEDs
300 current regulators
300 resistors
600 connector boards - cut, glued, soldered to form 300 double sided connectors
40 grams of SMD solder paste

Every LED and every board has been tested after every production step. Yes, I know this is an overkill but I want to make sure that everything is just perfect.

I'm expecting to finish the boards very soon. I'm shooting for the next weekend as this is when I do most of this work. I will keep you updated!

Domi
09-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the good news :yesss:
Don't worry about the delay, we all know that a home made PCB is a lot of time and patience.
Anyway, count me in for a set please when it will be available ;)

Tomcio
09-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Don't worry about the delay, we all know that a home made PCB is a lot of time and patience.

The PCB is made professionally by a PCB manufacturer. It's really difficult to get the same quality results with home made PCBs. The home made part is the assembly.

Anyway, count me in for a set please when it will be available ;)
You got it! ;)

Today I had some free time and I've decided to keep this project going. All the red boards have been washed in a special PCB cleaning solution in an ultrasonic cleaning bath, dried and given two coats of clear coat lacquer. They should be all nice and dry tomorrow.

The yellow boards are next in line...

Chris4099
09-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Maybe I missed it but did you ever redesign the side marker lights to work regardless of the polarity so they are compatible with the flashing modification?

Shep
09-16-2013, 08:49 PM
count me in for a set please when it will be available ;)Count me in too, with the frosted glass lens kit! :biggrin:

Starglider
09-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Maybe I missed it but did you ever redesign the side marker lights to work regardless of the polarity so they are compatible with the flashing modification?

This is easily fixable with a couple of relays, which will also make the markers flash in sync.

NightFlyer
09-16-2013, 09:58 PM
My money is ready and patiently waiting.

Looking forward to this product :thumbup2:

Tomcio
09-17-2013, 07:20 AM

Chris,

This problem has been addressed and the solution is very simple. For those interested I will offer a different connector that will make the light work regardless of polarity.
There are a couple of details that still need some work. I need to finalize the rear plate design and electrical connector. The plate is not a problem and just needs some fine tuning. For the electrical connector I still have to decide if the light will be hard wired into the car or if I should use bulb base connector. I would definitely prefer the hard wired option but it will be more difficult to install and will require cutting and soldering some wires. Plug-and-play option would be much easier to install but would not be waterproof and that might be a problem... you know, rusted bulb sockets are pretty common in those lights. Maybe we should vote for which option to choose?

Chris4099
09-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Great! I look forward to hearing more details when available. As for the connector, a hardwired version would be best but maybe you can offer different options. Maybe also include an option for a weather tight connector that can be used in place of the old bulb holder. That will allow the lights to be easily removed so the panels could then be taken off.

Thanks for the updates!

Tomcio
09-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Maybe also include an option for a weather tight connector that can be used in place of the old bulb holder. That will allow the lights to be easily removed so the panels could then be taken off.

I have considered using a "super seal" type connectors. They are pretty much 100% watertight and are used by car manufacturers for connections in the engine compartment for things like fuel injectors, cooling fans and so on. The problem is that they will require a special crimping tool and that might be a problem. Using a bulb base so it can be plugged into the existing socket would not be watertight and it will corrode. We'll choose the best option when we get to it. I think we'll go with the super seal plugs and installation will involve a visit at the nearest car stereo specialists.

Here's another picture for all to enjoy... an army of 100 red LED door lights all finished and ready. At the top you might see six "special order" boards - Ultraviolet / black light. The yellow boards are taking a cleaning bath right now ;)

Domi
09-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Amazing picture, really beautiful PCB :aniclap:

Michael Babb
09-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Very cool seeing all of those put together. Love seeing the ones at the top. :)

Cannot imagine the time involved to do all of that work - thanks again!

Mark D
09-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Cool photo of the massive cache of finished red PCB's.

Whats the current estimate for when these will be available for purchase?

Tomcio
09-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys!

As for the ETA, the last batch of the yellow boards is in the wash and I have already started applying the waterproofing to the first batch. I will try and finish them over the weekend. Then I will need a day or so for packaging. I should be ready to start shipping them out in about a week... hopefully... if everything goes to plan. Two weeks tops. I hope you can wait that long ;)

Lukas
09-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Connector options would be nice, but that would create more work/cost for Tom? I'd really like a plug and play solution (a connector that would just plug into the existing socket).

Tomcio
09-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Hello everyone!

If you enjoyed my last picture, you will really like this one:

The assembly process is complete!

Right now I'm in the process of packaging the boards into sets in preparation for shipping. I need a few more days and I will be ready to start taking orders.

Domi
09-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Awesome job, Congratulation :thumbup:

Mark D
09-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Nice work, that photo is epic!

Waiting patiently for details on price and when they'll be available to ship. :headbang:

Tomcio
09-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Hello everyone!

This is the post you have all been waiting for ;)
The first batch of the LED door lights is finished, packed and ready for shipping. If you are interested here are the details:

The price for a set of 6 LED door lights (2 red and 4 yellow (amber)) is $80 US with free worldwide shipping.
At this time I have 30 sets available.
I also offer a set of frosted glass effect laser cut custom lenses. They are $20 for a set of 6 lenses.
The door lights can be used with OEM colored lenses or the new custom lenses. The choice is yours.
At this time I only have 20 sets of lenses available.

LED lights only - $80
LED lights with custom lens kit - $100
Free worldwide shipping.

I take PayPal.

I will NOT be adding a "Buy now" buttons to my site as I have a very limited number of sets. With the current interest I might run into a situation where I end up with more orders than I can fulfill. You will have to send your payments manually. My email to be used with PayPal is dmctom at gmail.com.

This message will be posted on the DMCTalk forum and on the DML.

If you have any questions you can post them here or you can contact me directly at my gmail address.

Bitsyncmaster
09-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Do the lens have a diamond pattern or are they just flat inside and outside? Hard to tell with a photo but do the frosted lens disperse the light better at all angles (looking at them not directly)?

Domi
09-28-2013, 08:06 AM
Hello Tom,
I just sent you the money for: LED lights only - $80
Thanks again!
Dominique

Tomcio
09-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Do the lens have a diamond pattern or are they just flat inside and outside? Hard to tell with a photo but do the frosted lens disperse the light better at all angles (looking at them not directly)?

The "frosted glass" lenses are flat / smooth on both sides. With the diamond pattern on the OEM lenses you get the # sign effect. With smooth lenses the light is almost evenly spread across the surface. In the picture of the frosted lens you can still see where the LEDs are on the board. In reality the surface is more evenly lit and actually looks better. This appearance doesn't change when looking at the light from different angles. This is because the surface of the lens is smooth. So, regardless of the angle from which you view the light it still appears the same - smooth and even.

refugeefromcalif
09-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Just sent my payment for a set of lights and lenses.

(I'm hoping you can get on the side marker lights when you get a chance)... ;)

George

Tomcio
09-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Just sent my payment for a set of lights and lenses.

(I'm hoping you can get on the side marker lights when you get a chance)... ;)

George

I got your payment and the number of sets available was updated to 27.

Now that the door lights are done I will start working on the side marker lights. The boards are ready and most of the electronic components are already here. I will start the assembly soon. I still have to work out the details of the back plate for the light. I will be posting updates here.
The door lights will give you an idea of how the side marker lights will look - the brightness and color of the light. I use the same LEDs for both the door lights and the side marker lights. Once you get your first set you can decide if you like them and if you are interested in the other lights. To be honest I'm pretty confident that once you get the door lights you will want the side markers as well. I'm really proud of how they turned out. ;)

Tomcio
09-28-2013, 06:40 PM
I have just received a question about the door lights that I feel anyone should know the answer to.

Q: Are they plug-and-play or do they require some wiring modification?

A: They are 100% plug-and-play and no modification is required.
The modules have a small connector board attached that is the same width and thickness as the bulb base and they plug into the socket just as the bulb does. You simply pull the old bulb out and plug the new LED light in. That's it!

Here are three pictures of one of the yellow lights showing the connector board. Enjoy:

One VERY IMPORTANT NOTE to anyone that will be installing my LED lights:

DO NOT USE PLIERS OR TWEEZERS TO INSTALL THE LED LIGHTS!

Plug the boards in with your fingers. Just align the connector board with the socket inside the light push the module all the way in.
This is very important as pliers might damage the clear protective coating and cause a short that will damage the light! Remember, this is an electronic circuit and you have to keep metal tools away from it.

And one more note:
This is an electronic circuit that requires correct polarity to work. If you plug the light in and it doesn't work simply remove it, turn it 180 degrees and plug it back in. Reversed polarity will not cause any damage but the light will not come on.

Mark D
09-29-2013, 01:33 AM
Paypal sent.

Domi
09-29-2013, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the advices :thumbup2:

Starglider
09-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I've sent $100 for the lights + lenses via PayPal.

Still interested in the side markers as well when they're ready. I already have LED lights in there, but yours look like they have a better light distribution.

Tomcio
10-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Hello everyone,

I would like to let you know that all orders have been shipped today! I sent a private email to everyone who ordered a set along with the shipping label number and expected delivery time. If you have ordered a set and don't see a message from me please check your spam folder as some spam filters can sometimes be trigger happy.

Important note about my custom lens kit:
The lenses have a protective film on both sides. The film is blue in color and needs to be peeled off before the lens is installed. The film prevents scratches during shipment. Once the protective film is removed the lens is colorless with frosted glass appearance.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Chris 16409
10-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Just want to let you know, I've sent you a payment. Thanks.

kobachi
10-02-2013, 02:01 AM
How does the brightness of the frosted+LED solution compare to the original OEM lamps?

Tomcio
10-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Just want to let you know, I've sent you a payment. Thanks.

Got it! I sent you a confirmation email. Your order will go out today.

How does the brightness of the frosted+LED solution compare to the original OEM lamps?

The LED lights produce about the same amount of light as the original bulbs. With OEM lens the brightness is about the same but light distribution is different due to the design of the light - four points of light instead of just one bulb.
The frosted lenses absorb a small amount of light so the overall light output will be slightly lower. BUT, the difference is very small and you will not see it unless you compare the two lights side-by-side.
The first sets will start arriving very soon and we'll surely see some reviews from owners.

Tomcio
10-02-2013, 04:40 PM
I've tried to take a picture showing the difference between setups. It's very difficult to take a picture of a light but it should be enough to give you an idea.
From left to right:
LEDs with custom lens, LED with OEM lens, regular bulb with OEM lens.
After looking closely at all three lights together I have to say that I was wrong and actually the OEM lens absorbs more light than the frosted glass one. So the custom lens with LEDs is the brightest. Bulb and LEDs with OEM lens is about the same brightness but because of different light source the bulb appears brighter. OEM bulb is just a single point of light (100%) while LEDs have the same amount of light divided into four points of 25% each. My LUX meter says the brightness of the entire light is about the same for the bulb and LEDs with OEM lens.

Michael Babb
10-03-2013, 11:04 AM
I've tried to take a picture showing the difference between setups. It's very difficult to take a picture of a light but it should be enough to give you an idea.
From left to right:
LEDs with custom lens, LED with OEM lens, regular bulb with OEM lens.
After looking closely at all three lights together I have to say that I was wrong and actually the OEM lens absorbs more light than the frosted glass one. So the custom lens with LEDs is the brightest. Bulb and LEDs with OEM lens is about the same brightness but because of different light source the bulb appears brighter. OEM bulb is just a single point of light (100%) while LEDs have the same amount of light divided into four points of 25% each. My LUX meter says the brightness of the entire light is about the same for the bulb and LEDs with OEM lens.

It may just be me, but I really like the LEDs with the OEM lens. I think it looks pretty cool with the cross pattern. Cannot wait to play around with these on my car.

Bitsyncmaster
10-03-2013, 12:50 PM
It may just be me, but I really like the LEDs with the OEM lens. I think it looks pretty cool with the cross pattern. Cannot wait to play around with these on my car.

I have to agree for now. But I ordered a set of his frosted lens so I can compare the look with my LEDs.

NightFlyer
10-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Did the price go up $25 (USD)?

NightFlyer
10-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Just placed my order for the door light kit only - price was $105 though, not $80. I don't mind paying for quality, just wanted others to know that it would appear that the price went up.

Looking forward to getting these and installing them! :thumbup:

Tomcio
10-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Did the price go up $25 (USD)?

Yes, unfortunately I had to raise the price to $105 for a set.
I did my initial calculation in May and since then my costs have gone up. The price for the IC (controls the current for LEDs) went up by 25%, shipping costs have gone up by 50%! and the exchange rate has changed. US Dollar value is dropping fast! I wanted to keep my promise for those that backed my project from the beginning but I just can't keep the price below my costs. So, after the first week, when the sales died down I had to bring the price up. I hope you will understand my decision.

NightFlyer
10-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Yes, unfortunately I had to raise the price to $105 for a set.
I did my initial calculation in May and since then my costs have gone up. The price for the IC (controls the current for LEDs) went up by 25%, shipping costs have gone up by 50%! and the exchange rate has changed. US Dollar value is dropping fast! I wanted to keep my promise for those that backed my project from the beginning but I just can't keep the price below my costs. So, after the first week, when the sales died down I had to bring the price up. I hope you will understand my decision.

Completely understand - no problem at all for me anyway. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a paypal glitch or something like that.

I look forward to getting and installing the kit!

rdarlington
10-05-2013, 05:50 PM
I really like your product but it doesn't make any financial sense when compared to the $15 LED kit from delorean.com. I too am an electronics designer and understand what goes into product development. I really like these but not for $105. Then again, that $25k car in my garage didn't make any sense either.

-Bob

Tomcio
10-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Completely understand - no problem at all for me anyway. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a paypal glitch or something like that.
Josh,
No, it wasn't a glitch as you can see the prices on my site ;)
Anyway, I would like to offer you a deal. Since you placed your order before I had a chance to post to the forum I would like to split the price increase in half with you. So, I'll send you $12.50 with your order. How's that ?

I really like your product but it doesn't make any financial sense when compared to the $15 LED kit from delorean.com. I too am an electronics designer and understand what goes into product development. I really like these but not for $105. Then again, that $25k car in my garage didn't make any sense either.
Bob,
This project definitely does not make any financial sense. Things like this never do. This is more of a contribution to the DeLorean community than a way to make a living. I've spent many hours assembling the boards for the fun of it. I could have hired a company to do the assembly for me but the quote for using a pick-n-place machine literally frightened me. So, I did all the assembly myself. This is a small quantity project and those are expensive. If we were to make 100,000 boards the price would be a lot lower.
You can't really compare my kit with the DMCH kit as they are completely different. It's cheap because of several reasons:
1. It's made in huge numbers
2. It's made in China
3. It's made of just three components - a few LEDs, a single resistor and a simple housing.
4. It's not DeLorean specific! They have flooded the world with those cheap lights... any car, any make, any model
Yes, they work. Yes, they use LEDs. Yes, they use a lot less power. But they give poor results in general (when something is good for everything it's usually good for nothing) and they burn out surprisingly quickly. I've got two LED bulbs of similar design for my parking lights (for my daily driver) and they lasted for about two weeks before burning out. A resistor can't control the current with voltage in a car.
There is no circuit board which is the main component of the final price, soldering is very simple with just a few leads bunched together and a simple resistor to control the current. In my design I wanted to make the best I could and not the cheapest as I can't beat Chinese prices but I can beat their quality. With my lights you get better light distribution, longer life due to stable current control and wide voltage operation. I guarantee 100% safe operation up to 30 volts.
This is a custom made, high quality product for one car and one application only.
I hope this explains the differences between the two products.

NightFlyer
10-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Josh, No, it wasn't a glitch as you can see the prices on my site ;)
Anyway, I would like to offer you a deal. Since you placed your order before I had a chance to post to the forum I would like to split the price increase in half with you. So, I'll send you $12.50 with your order. How's that ?

Sounds good - I appreciate that, even though it isn't necessary. The reason I purchased your lights was for the high quality. And I'm always more than happy to pay a fair price for a high quality product. I'll be sure to do a write-up review with pics and post here and on DMCToday.com :thumbup2:

Chris 16409
10-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Tom, I forgot to ask, will these still draw less power than incandescent bulbs and not drain the battery if the doors are left open? Thanks.

NightFlyer
10-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Tom, I forgot to ask, will these still draw less power than incandescent bulbs and not drain the battery if the doors are left open? Thanks.

Not to step on Tom's feet at all, but I figured I'd help him out.

The stock/OEM incandescent bulbs are rated at 5W each x 3 in each door x 2 doors = 30 Watts

Tom's LEDs are rated at .67W each x 3 in each door x 2 doors = 4.02 Watts

So yes, by running Tom's LEDs, you can leave the doors open for several hours and not have to worry about excessive battery drain.

Tomcio
10-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Chris,

All the technical info is listed on my site but here are the basics.
Each OEM light bulb consumes 5W of power. If you open both doors you will have six door lights on consuming a total of 30 Watts. That is a significant amount of power!
Each of the LED lights of my design consumes 0.675W. For both doors (6 lights) the total power consumed is equal to just 4 Watts!
I short, all 6 lights consume less power than ONE OEM bulb!
With my LED lights installed you can safely leave both doors open for a whole day at a car show.

NightFlyer, You beat me to the finish line because I was on the phone ;)
To run down a 65Ah battery OEM lights will need just 27 hours. My lights will run for over 200 hours.

Michael
10-06-2013, 01:02 PM
That's a good looking product you have there! I like the way you package it too....very professional

I think the main difference between the two LED kits is not the current draw or the lifespan. I have had my DMC LED kit in my car for almost 5 years now, and I haven't had one go bad yet...and my doors stay open a lot. The thing about the socket LED's that superbrightleds and DMCH sell is the light distribution. The LED bulbs that I have, even though the SMDs are multi directional, only light up a small spot on the reflector. Yours however lights up the entire lamp housing...which looks nice. The spot doesn't really bother me though, not enough to change out the lamps.

What I really like is your LED side marker lamps....nice design.

refugeefromcalif
10-06-2013, 01:27 PM
To run down a 65Ah battery OEM lights will need just 27 hours. My lights will run for over 200 hours.

This must be assuming that the interior lights are not On at the same time or, are also LED's.

George

Tomcio
10-06-2013, 01:45 PM
That's a good looking product you have there! I like the way you package it too....very professional

I think the main difference between the two LED kits is not the current draw or the lifespan. I have had my DMC LED kit in my car for almost 5 years now, and I haven't had one go bad yet...and my doors stay open a lot. The thing about the socket LED's that superbrightleds and DMCH sell is the light distribution. The LED bulbs that I have, even though the SMDs are multi directional, only light up a small spot on the reflector. Yours however lights up the entire lamp housing...which looks nice. The spot doesn't really bother me though, not enough to change out the lamps.

What I really like is your LED side marker lamps....nice design.

Michael,
Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate your comments.
The current draw should be about the same for both kits. It really depends on the number of LED chips. My light has 12 LED chips. I don't know how many LEDs they use. As for the lifespan, they use a resistor to limit the current and by design this is a passive component. As you know a resistor cannot compensate for changing voltage so it has to be calculated for the highest voltage it will ever see. That also means the light output (brightness) will change with changing voltage. I chose an active component, an IC that keeps the current constant at varying input voltage. Anything from 10.5V all the way up to 37V is fine and the light output will not change. I guess the low voltage typically experienced in a DeLorean works in favor for those lights. I wanted to make sure that my lights are pretty much bulletproof.
As for the light distribution, well, you're right ;)

Tomcio
10-06-2013, 01:49 PM
This must be assuming that the interior lights are not On at the same time or, are also LED's.

George,
Yes, this calculation is for the door lights only. I don't offer any solution for the dome lights... yet ;)
This is a purely mathematical calculation of a perfect or ideal battery going from 100% charge to completely empty. As "perfect" doesn't really exists this is just a way to visualize the difference between OEM bulbs and my LED modules.

Domi
10-06-2013, 03:28 PM
I received my Led this Saturday, and all I can say is that this kit is awesome, even the box is a collector itself :thumbup:
Thank You for the nice job ;)

Bitsyncmaster
10-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Got the new frosted lens. They do look nice but I'm still undecided if I want the even lighting or the star pattern I get with OEM len. As far as being a safety light probably the OEM lens is maybe more of a warning (not to bump your head).

I did file the sharp edges on my test lens so it would install easy and not cut the already hard rubber of the light.

Tomcio
10-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Hello everyone,
The choice has been made for the type of connector that will be used in the upcoming side markers. I definitely did not want to keep the original socket as it is a very bad design prone to rusting out. I had to use something that will be watertight. I have chosen a "super-seal" type connectors. There will be some modification required to the wiring on the car and installation will mean cutting off the original bulb socket and soldering two wires per light. The solution to that will probably be a special barrel connector that just needs to be heated up with a lighter. This solders the wires and shrinks heat-shrink tubing around the joint in just one step. This will make the installation as easy as possible. I will need to test those barrel connector though. I need to make sure they can stand up to the elements.
Here's a picture of the connector that will be used:
From left to right:
Plug, yellow sealing rings, pins for both sides, socket.
All wires will be crimped and sealed to make the installation easier.

Bitsyncmaster
10-08-2013, 05:52 AM
Hello everyone,
The choice has been made for the type of connector that will be used in the upcoming side markers. I definitely did not want to keep the original socket as it is a very bad design prone to rusting out. I had to use something that will be watertight. I have chosen a "super-seal" type connectors. There will be some modification required to the wiring on the car and installation will mean cutting off the original bulb socket and soldering two wires per light. The solution to that will probably be a special barrel connector that just needs to be heated up with a lighter. This solders the wires and shrinks heat-shrink tubing around the joint in just one step. This will make the installation as easy as possible. I will need to test those barrel connector though. I need to make sure they can stand up to the elements.
Here's a picture of the connector that will be used:
From left to right:
Plug, yellow sealing rings, pins for both sides, socket.
All wires will be crimped and sealed to make the installation easier.

I've found those shrink type connectors with internal solder ring require a lot of heat. So they work fine when the wires are teflon (can take the heat) but with PVC insulation, it will melt before the solder flows. Do some testing before you decide on these parts.

DMC5180
10-11-2013, 01:31 AM
The Metri-pack (AkA) weather-pack is definitely the best choice for a sealed connector. One word of caution though, If for some reason you ever have to de-pin the housing You need to be creative with a micro screwdriver or get the the actual release tool (pick) Packard 12094429 terminal release tool. I have this tool and find it very useful for de-pinning the LUCAS (church-window) connectors also.

I have to Agree with Dave on the use of solder splice connectors. I actually replaced both front Marker sockets earlier this year. I ended up just soldering and covering the splice with heat shrink.

Shep
10-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Just finished taking pictures of the installation of mine. I got the frosted glass lenses as well. Figured I'd post them here for comparison purposes:

Garage lights off:
http://vin559.com/images/work_done/led_conversion/door_lights/resized/led_door_lights_01_640.jpg
http://vin559.com/images/work_done/led_conversion/door_lights/resized/led_door_lights_02_640.jpg

Garage lights on:
http://vin559.com/images/work_done/led_conversion/door_lights/resized/led_door_lights_03_640.jpg
http://vin559.com/images/work_done/led_conversion/door_lights/resized/led_door_lights_04_640.jpg

LED's disconnected:
http://vin559.com/images/work_done/led_conversion/door_lights/resized/led_door_lights_05_640.jpg
http://vin559.com/images/work_done/led_conversion/door_lights/resized/led_door_lights_06_640.jpg

The "four dot" effect you get with the OEM lenses is drastically reduced. It's not eliminated entirely (the first picture shows it most accurately), but frankly it's a hell of a lot more evenly distributed than anything you can get with the OEM lenses. Very satisfied with this product. And I finally don't have to worry about disconnecting/reconnecting the bulbs and/or battery any time I go to car shows! Definitely worth every penny ;)

I have to agree with Michael, the packaging was very professional. It looks like something DMC would've handed out at employee outings back in the day. It gave me a spot to put the OEM bulbs too.

Tomcio
10-11-2013, 08:00 PM
That is a very nice review Shep. Thank you.
I would like to note one thing. The color of the lights, because of the limitations of the digital cameras, looks a little pale. In reality the LEDs that I have chosen for this project comply with US and ECE colors for outside automotive lighting.

US regulations are:
Amber 590 - 600nm
Red 610nm and above

ECE regulations are:
Amber 588 - 595nm
Red 610nm and above

The LEDs used are:
Amber 592nm
Red 622nm
So, they are within limits for wavelength (color). The color with the OEM lens is a little deeper but overall light output is slightly lower.

It would be great if we could get more reviews with pictures from others. I still have 25 sets left I would love to see them go so I can move on to other projects.

One of the members emailed me with an idea of using two lenses together to get even better light distribution while keeping the stock look. The main reason why I used the custom lenses was to get the colorless and technical appearance seen in the last two pictures in the post above. The DeLorean is black and white and the only color is in the lights. I always wanted to remove the color from the car. The idea for two lenses will keep the stock look and not the colorless idea that I had in mind but it does provide very interesting results. Here's what it looks like:
Those two pictures show the same light but with different camera settings. The picture on the left is closer to reality. The four points of light are still visible but barely. One drawback of this setup is that overall light output appears slightly lower compared to the OEM lens alone. This might be due to the fact that the light is evenly distributed without "hot spots" and just appears slightly dimmer. I will try to get some measurements with my lux meter to confirm this.
To get this effect I trimmed the frosted lens small enough so it sits just below the OEM lens but big enough so it's a tight fit and the lens doesn't rattle around.
What do you think? If anyone is interested I can have the lenses laser cut to the new size.

Shep
10-12-2013, 11:17 AM
The color of the lights, because of the limitations of the digital cameras, looks a little pale.I played around with the exposure settings when I took the pictures, and the only ones that had accurate color were the ones where the door wasn't even visible. All you can see is the light surrounded by black. The first picture you posted is close to what I wound up with when I did that:

http://vin559.com/images/work_done/led_conversion/door_lights/resized/led_door_lights_07_640.jpg
http://vin559.com/images/work_done/led_conversion/door_lights/resized/led_door_lights_08_640.jpg

They're almost too bright to get a good picture of!

One of the members emailed me with an idea of using two lenses together to get even better light distribution while keeping the stock look.I have to say, I actually like that look. I prefer the uniform color of the plexiglass lenses alone, but for those that want to keep a stock look, it definitely distributes the light more evenly. :thumbup:

refugeefromcalif
10-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Here's a preliminary test of my new Tomcio lights in Outside daylight.
I'll try to get pics after dark for an Outside brightness comparison.

Bottom door light. Stock lens, DMCH Upgrade LED bulb.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22488&d=1381690494

Front door light, Ditto old DMCH LED bulb.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22489&d=1381690648

New Tomcio LED with the frosted lens.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22490&d=1381690772

New Tomcio LED with stock lens.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22491&d=1381690924

I can't wait to see them in the dark, and compair their brightness VS. the stock lens.

George

Mark D
10-14-2013, 01:16 PM
My set of LED door lights arrived the other day..... I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the boards. Installation only took a few minutes.

One thing I decided to do was install a thin sheet of HDPE (aka milk jug plastic) behind the stock lenses. It helps disperse the light from the four LED clusters and ends up with an effect sort of half way between what is seen above with the thick frosted lenses and the # pattern of the stock lenses alone.

I'll post up a few pictures soon. Overall these new LED boards look much much better than the old style LED 'bulbs' that produce a small pinpoint of light in the center of each lens.

Michael Babb
10-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Got mine about a week ago, but have been out of town. Going to try and get everything installed tonight (and remember the "special order" that Tom mentioned? I hope to have pics of these installed soon:) !!!)

dvonk
10-14-2013, 09:16 PM
...remember the "special order" that Tom mentioned? I hope to have pics of these installed soon:) !!!

ooh, i am very curious as to how those look. :hihi2:

Mark D
10-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Here are a few pics of how they turned out w/ a thin sheet of HDPE behind the stock lenses.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22557&d=1381799218

These photos shows the left half of the lens with the plastic sheet behind it and the right half of the lens normal. It's actually tougher to photograph than I thought, but there is a noticeably more dispersed pattern of light vs the distinct four dots of light.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22562&d=1381799248
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22560&d=1381799238
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22559&d=1381799228

Stock lens and no diffuser
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22555&d=1381799206

Stock lens with HDPE diffuser behind it
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22552&d=1381799184
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22551&d=1381799180

and the DMCH LED's they replaced.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22550&d=1381799176

Michael Babb
10-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately only had time to install in a single door before it got too dark last night . . .so I need to do the other side and find a nice dark place to take some better pictures. BUT . . the LEDs that I have are ultraviolet (blacklight) and I think they turned out very nicely. :)

dvonk
10-16-2013, 04:05 AM
whoa, those are crazy awesome. :headbang:

Tillsy
10-16-2013, 06:06 AM
What would be killer is for two RGB versions - one defaults to red and one defaults to amber.

Feed a signal on them to indicate show/party mode and they ever so slowly fade through the whole RGB spectrum. Slow enough that you don't immediately spot it, but that when you look back every so often you swear it was a different colour but not entirely sure. Similar effect I do with lighting around my BBQ, looks fantastic and puzzles the crap out of people :)

NightFlyer
10-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Hey Tom,

Just wanted to let you know that I was finally able to stop by my post office and pick up the LED door light kit. Everything looks GREAT - seriously VERY IMPRESSIVE! I hope to get them installed in the next couple days. When I do, I'll be sure to post a review with comparison pictures both here and on Today :smile:

Thanks again!

Tomcio
10-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Hello everyone!

I have had some trouble with my website in the last few days. There was some strange error in the DNS configuration and the traffic was routed improperly. After a few days of fighting with the DNS and a heated email exchange with my domain provider I finally got everything straightened out and my site is back to normal.
So, if anyone has tried accessing my website in the recent days and got some strange page or a "redirect loop", please accept my apology. It's all fixed and you are welcomed to visit my site today.

NightFlyer - I'm still waiting to see some pictures of your installation! ;)

NightFlyer
10-30-2013, 11:21 PM
NightFlyer - I'm still waiting to see some pictures of your installation! ;)

I'll get to it before the end of this coming weekend - promise :thumbup:

Domi
10-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Didn't find time to install mine either, but soon :)

NightFlyer
11-05-2013, 05:37 AM
As promised, here is my review of this most excellent product:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?8529-Tomcio-LED-Door-Lights&p=124999#post124999

Tomcio
11-06-2013, 02:29 PM
That is a very nice review! Thank you for the kind words!

BTW, I still have 25 sets left and I'm still hoping to recover my investment so I can move on to other projects. If anyone is interested in getting a set please visit my site or contact me directly.

Michael Babb
11-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Sorry for the delay in adding my review to the mix. I have added that at http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?8529-Tomcio-LED-Door-Lights

Preview: Tom's stuff absolutely rocks!

NightFlyer
11-06-2013, 04:53 PM
1) I absolutely HATE crap made in China. Only if an alternative doesn't exist will I actually purchase a good made there, as doing so supports exploited labor, horrid to non-existent environmental standards, and a wholly unfair competitor that mocks free market principles while participating in the system. Not to mention that Chinese crap is usually cheap for a reason - it sucks and is of an inferior quality. Personally, I'd rather spend more, obtain less, procure quality products that actually stand for something, and maintain my principle. If there weren't people like me out there, we'd have virtually no manufacturing left in our own country today.

Tomcio's LEDS are made and assembled in Poland, using primarily Polish sourced components.

2) Yes, they're expensive, but no more so than the CREE sourced LEDs (made primarily in Racine, WI, USA) that I previously purchased for the tail-light assembly (turn signal, brake lights, running lights, and backup lights). For reference purposes, DeLorean03 previously posted a video comparing my CREE LEDs to a cheap Chinese alternative. People can decide for themselves.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7302-LED-Tailight-kit&p=111816&viewfull=1#post111816

3) Because the SMD's of Tomcio's LEDs are spaced out in the shape of the lens, and the high quality of the 5050 chips used, they accomplish a light fill equivalent to that of higher element hemispherical (diode) or tower style Chinese LEDs - which of course equates to super low power consumption. Typical 9 SMD element Chinese LED has a power draw of 1.5 Watts or greater. A 12 SMD element will draw 2 Watts or greater. Tomcio's LED draw just .675 Watts each.

Total power consumption of 9 element Chinese LEDs / 12 element Chinese LEDs VS Tomcio's LEDs:

9 Watts / 12 Watts VS 4.05 Watts

Chinese LEDs are also often not power regulated, and thus suffer a short life span - one could conceivable end up spending the same amount or more over a life-time of having to replace inferior Chinese LEDs vs just purchasing a Tomcio set today.

4) Tomcio's LEDs are a limited run custom made-to-application product. Comparing them to a generic universal LED is like comparing apples to oranges IMHO...

5) Tomcio is known for investing his own money in bringing unique ultra high quality products to the very small/limited DeLorean market - just like Bill R and Dave M. Supporting him today allows him to continue to develop even more great products for our cars in the future.

6) As others have pointed out above, Tomcio also sells an optional laser cut frosted lens kit that compliments the LED set. They can be used either with or without the stock lenses to provide a uniform lens light dispersal. Others have also had success using the plastic from generic milk/water jugs to accomplish a similar effect (something I plan on trying in the future). You can also paint the interior of the housing silver or line it with aluminum foil to direct even more light out the lenses (again, something I plan on trying in the future).

So, there's my two cents worth...

djdogbone
11-06-2013, 07:01 PM
These work great!

Bitsyncmaster
12-07-2013, 06:59 AM
You state power Power consumption above 10.5V - 0.675 watts. So is your circuit a constant power or constant current? Just curious which switching regulator you are using to get constant power.

Tomcio
12-07-2013, 08:48 AM
You state power Power consumption above 10.5V - 0.675 watts. So is your circuit a constant power or constant current? Just curious which switching regulator you are using to get constant power.

Dave,
The IC provides constant current to the LEDs. Above 10.5V the LEDs are supplied with about 94% of their rated power. Each light is limited to about 56 - 57 mA on the input. With the help of some simple math the actual power consumption is:
at 10.5V and 56.5mA the P=0.593W
at 11V and 56.5mA the P=0.621W
at 12V and 56.5mA the P=0.678W
at 13V and 56.5mA the P=0.734W
at 14V and 56.5mA the P=0.791W
In case of the DeLorean door lights I have never seen the voltage go above about 12V. This is because of long and thin wires and many connections on the way. So, for simplicity I have chosen the value that is most common and accurate. If you decide to use the lights in a truck with 24V system (which you can do safely) the power consumption will be higher.
at 24V supply the total power consumption will be around 1.35W
This is a constant current circuit as LEDs require. There is a negative temperature coefficient built into the regulator so if things heat up too much the IC will lower the current to protect the LEDs.
I hope this answers your question.

Bitsyncmaster
12-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks. I was guessing you were running constant current draw on the input power but always saw your specification as watts.

Tomcio
12-07-2013, 11:00 AM
I decided to use watts as power consumption in watts is a much more common value than current. Since the power doesn't change that much in the narrow voltage range the lights will experience I thought that this is just easier. In reality it is a constant current circuit but for simplicity I used power value.
For the really technical guys the specs are:
Supply voltage: 10.5 - 35V
Current is constant in that range at 56.7mA
Long time operation above 30V is not recommended because the IC will have to dissipate a lot of heat. This circuit is designed to operate in a typical 12V automotive circuit.
BTW, the IC is a linear type. The power savings from using a switching regulator were too small to make it worth the trouble.

Domi
12-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Finally find time to installed your led door light, those are really great :thumbup:

Starglider
12-16-2013, 01:05 AM
What's the story on the side markers? Still looking into the mounting hardware?

Tomcio
12-16-2013, 03:02 PM
What's the story on the side markers? Still looking into the mounting hardware?

I had to put this project on pause for a while... had to take care of some family business (a member of my family has passed away). Now that I am back I will get back to the side markers and will start assembly very soon. The mounting plate is pretty much complete and I will have to do some testing to make sure it doesn't interfere with any parts of the fender. As soon as I confirm good fit and function I will start the production. I will keep you informed on the progress here. I will be updating my website as well.

I apologize for keeping everyone waiting...

Domi
12-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Sorry to read you such a bad news about your family, my condolence.

Starglider
12-17-2013, 05:35 AM
I apologize for keeping everyone waiting...

No need to apologise, it's not as if you promised everyone a particular date. Product development has to happen in its own time, as many other DMC part vendors have demonstrated... :)

Tomcio
12-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Thank you guys.

Yes, product development always takes longer than expected. There is a Murphy's law that states: If you expect a project will require a certain amount of time, then take that time and multiply it by 2, add 30%, add 25 and the result will equal roughly half of the actual time required ;)
Then there are things you don't expect like death in the family... I had to go to Italy to take care of some legal matters. Believe me, legal matters in another country are an absolute nightmare!
Good thing I didn't take any early payments from anyone ;)
I'll get them ready... eventually.

BABIS
02-03-2014, 06:59 PM
finally I have this awesome upgrade in my hands!
I opted for a led door lights kit along with a custom lens kit 2 (the one with which you keep the original door lenses)
can't wait to mount them ;)

(the custom lenses still have the plastic protective layers, their real color is much more icy)

Tomcio
03-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Hello everyone,
After a long time I am again working on the side markers. I just went through a series of mishaps... bad soldering paste (didn't work at all), bad batch of LEDs (destroyed during shipping) that I had to return and an SMD oven going crazy on me... I just got a new soldering paste (tested and confirmed perfect) straight from Japan, a new batch of LEDs and my oven recalibrated to show real teperatures (it was reading 40C above actual).
So, it's back to work now! The assembly of the boards should take the next two weeks or so. The rear aluminum bracket designed is finished and 240 brackets were ordered.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress.

Thank you for your patience.

Mark D
03-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the update, I'm still very interested in a set of these.

Tomcio
03-03-2014, 01:55 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words so... here's a few thousand worth for you all ;)

Side markers, main boards assembled...
25838 25839

Side boards, waiting for LED installation...

LEDs are in the oven being baked in preparation for soldering.
I have just received the material for the rear mounting plate. I will deliver it to the machine shop later this week to have the plates made.
More updates to follow...

Domi
03-03-2014, 02:06 PM
It's beautiful :thumbup2:

Starglider
03-05-2014, 02:06 AM
Looking good

Tomcio
04-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Time for an update... I apologize to everyone who is waiting for my LED side marker lights. As always things are never going according to plan. At least I didn't take any deposits... Anyway, the work has been very slow this past month and not much has been done. I got all the LEDs installed and tested. The next step is assembly of the side boards to the main board. This should be done very soon, like, this week. I'm still waiting for the rear plates to be made. My machine shop is just as good with deadlines as I am ;) Once those are done I will have to drill and tap some tiny M2 holes (5 per light). Then the plates will need one more step - anodizing to make them stand up to the elements.
More updates will come as new information is available.

Thank you for your attention.

SIMid
04-09-2014, 06:23 PM
I see so much potential in a rear light cluster LED Boards ..........

Patrick C
04-09-2014, 07:37 PM
i see so much potential in a rear light cluster led boards ..........

Yes!

Tomcio
04-09-2014, 08:12 PM

Yeah, me too!
That's why I've spent some $400 on 4 chip red and yellow and 6 chip white LEDs recently.
So many LEDs, so little time...

Tillsy
04-09-2014, 11:43 PM

DMCH were working on that a few years back - apparently the individual squares of the tailight animated as it lit up.

Project seems to have reached the same stage as the new binnacles...

SIMid
04-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Yeah, me too!
That's why I've spent some $400 on 4 chip red and yellow and 6 chip white LEDs recently.
So many LEDs, so little time...

I can see what you are up against! Too many projects!

What would look nice (haters are going to hate), each square light to light up like the Audi TTs. It would add a little modernisation to the rear end at night.

Tomcio
04-22-2014, 06:32 AM
I can see what you are up against! Too many projects!

What would look nice (haters are going to hate), each square light to light up like the Audi TTs. It would add a little modernisation to the rear end at night.

Is this what you're thinking about?

What I want to achieve is a smooth backlight with no visible points of light. I don't like those LED taillights where you can see each individual LED. I'm going to use a diffusing lens to get the right effect - smooth and even light.

But, for now I'm back to working on the side markers. I'm so sorry for keeping everyone waiting for so long.
The assembly is a very time consuming process... I post some pictures of the progress later tonight or tomorrow night.

Lukas
04-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Hey Tom, now that you're progressing further along with the side markers, do you have any more info on the connector type? A while back there were some comments about either hardwiring or using the bulb base so it could be removed later...

Tomcio
04-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Hey Tom, now that you're progressing further along with the side markers, do you have any more info on the connector type? A while back there were some comments about either hardwiring or using the bulb base so it could be removed later...

I've posted a while back about the connector choice. In case you missed it I'll say it again.
The lights will come with a super-seal type connector with pre-installed wires. One side of the connector will be attached to the LED board and the other side will come with pigtails that will need to be hardwired to the original wires on the car. I will supply the hardware necessary to make those connections.
I chose this hardwired option because of the harsh environment in which those lights have to reside. There is water, dirt, ice, snow, salt... The original bulb sockets are just so poor that they will never provide good electrical connection. The light will be removable in case you need to replace it or remove the stainless panel but one side of the connector will always stay with the car.
If someone really wants to keep the original bulb sockets you'll be able to solder a bulb base onto the pigtails that I will provide with the kit. I will certainly encourage everyone to use the hardwired option though.

This is the type of connector that will come with my side markers:
The are very reliable, water proof and easy to disconnect if needed.
BTW, those super-seal connectors are already here waiting to be assembled.

refugeefromcalif
04-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Tom, I think it goes without saying that many of us are waiting for these marker lights. :wave2:

Take your time and get them right, (when you can).

George

SIMid
04-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Is this what you're thinking about?

What I want to achieve is a smooth backlight with no visible points of light. I don't like those LED taillights where you can see each individual LED. I'm going to use a diffusing lens to get the right effect - smooth and even light.

Yes! Similar to those. In a grid format, it would look really different, but modern at the same time. Diffused light would look much nicer than a direct LED bulb. Probs I have seen are that they aren't as bright.

One project at a time! :tongue:

Tomcio
04-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Yes! Similar to those. In a grid format, it would look really different, but modern at the same time. Diffused light would look much nicer than a direct LED bulb. Probs I have seen are that they aren't as bright.

One project at a time! :tongue:

This is a picture of an Audi TT so it must be it ;)
Diffused lens will always lower the actual light output of the source (LED in this case) but the LEDs I got are bright enough. They are actually insanely bright for a low power LED. It's a super flux LED with 4 actual chips inside. I did some initial testing and they should be as bright as any other taillight on a modern car. I'm comparing them to my Nissan 350Z that has LED taillights and they are just as bright. But yes, you're right... one project at a time ;) And speaking of projects it's UPDATE TIME!

My "strawberry flavored" boards are assembled. Oh boy... it's a slow process and my eyes are somewhere behind my ears now :8ball: At least that's what it feels like after a few hours of staring at those boards up close.

I will post some pictures with the LEDs powered on tomorrow.
My phone used to take such nice pictures but Google recently "upgraded" my Android camera software and it's so bad now... Tomorrow I'll use my real camera.

john 05141
04-24-2014, 05:29 AM
wow that is nice, love to see more!

jan

Domi
04-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Agreed, this is really nice PCB :thumbup2:

Tomcio
04-24-2014, 07:04 PM
As promised, here are the pictures of the red boards...
The completed red side marker board:

Powered on (slightly dimmed for the camera):

Powered on at full brightness (the light overwhelms my camera):

Fully assembled red side marker

I have updated my website with new pictures of the red lights. If you don't see the new pictures please check back later. The server needs a little bit of time to see the changes. Thanks.

Domi
04-25-2014, 02:49 PM
I really like the result of the light, that's awesome :thumbup:

Mark D
04-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Those look really great 8)

I like how the LEDs on each side light up the full length of the lens. It seems like it does a better job than the stock bulb.

These boards will be offered already installed into new lenses, correct? My current lenses are starting to get a little faded and cracked right near the bulb so I was going to replace them anyway, but if the LED kits will come with new lenses then that will kill two birds with one stone.

Otherwise I it won't be a problem to buy just the board/backing plate kit and install them into new lenses. Do you plan on making an installation write up available?

Tomcio
04-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Those look really great 8)
These boards will be offered already installed into new lenses, correct?
Otherwise I it won't be a problem to buy just the board/backing plate kit and install them into new lenses. Do you plan on making an installation write up available?

Thanks Mark. Yeah, I'm very happy with the amount of light they provide. Compared with the regular 5W bulb the center section is about as bright but the reflector sections are brighter. So, the LEDs will provide more uniform light. There are 6 LEDs providing light to each side reflector - type 5050 LEDs have 3 chips each. There are 24 LED chips in each light.

I do not plan to offer complete lights but I will offer installation if you send your lights in. I'm not sure if guys in Houston would be very happy if I came in and bought 40 sets of side markers. Besides, a set of side marker lights with gaskets is listed for $121.21 here:
http://store.delorean.com/p-10213-marker-light-and-gasket-kit.aspx
I'm making 40 sets of the side markers and that means 121.21 x 40 = $4848.40. With shipping it will easily be over $5000. Sorry... But, if you'd like to get a set and send it to me I'll install the lights and send it back to you. I haven't thought about how much it will cost but I'm thinking that $20 - $25 for installation including return shipping should be fair.

I will offer the boards with aluminum backing plate and wires installed. The light will have one side of the connector permanently attached. The other side of the connector will come with pigtails for attaching to the car. The light has a small round opening for the OEM bulb socket and that is too small for any kind of LED board. Because of that some cutting will be needed. This is what it looks like:
Rear of the side marker as it is on the car (notice the small round opening for the light socket):

This is how the light needs to be modified - rear plate is cut off:

Closeup view of the new opening:

Here's a view of how the LED board goes in:

This is how the board fits into the opening:
Please note that the aluminum rear plate is missing from the pictures. I still have not received it from the machine shop. The rear plate will be attached with three 2mm screws - that is what the three holes are for.

I will make a step-by-step installation guide similar to my Extended convex mirror installation guide. I will include pictures of every step and required measurements where needed. No special tools will be needed. What you will need is a phillips screwdriver, a Dremel type tool with cutoff wheel but a small metal saw should work just fine, a pair of pliers to cut the OEM light socket off and crimp the new connector on, some silicone glue to seal the light and a gas lighter for the supplied heat shrink tubing.
Hope this answers your questions...

Domi
04-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Sometimes, the round opening is not rounded anymore because of heat bulb.
So, no more trouble with your Led kit :thumbup:

Tomcio
04-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Hello everyone,
LED door lights are currently SOLD OUT! My last set from the first batch was just sold today.

If anyone is interested in getting a set they will be available again. I still have some boards and components waiting to be assembled, enough for a few sets. I cannot tell you when they will be available because I hate missing deadlines ;)
I will post another update when they are ready. There's also a limited number of white boards that I will assemble when I find some time... They will use the same LEDs and will work pretty much the same but might provide a slightly more uniform light. I'm thinking about using white boards with clear lenses so the insides of the lights are visible. That might be interesting... I will let you know. There's also another idea for the lenses. Something more high-tech looking but still diffused.
For now the side markers are on the workbench.

Mark D
04-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the detailed explanation on the side markers. It looks like a simple modification so I should have no problem doing it myself. I appreciate the offer to send in the lenses and have you modify them to fit the new boards though. I'm sure there will be some people looking for a plug and play option that will take you up on your offer.

I can't wait until these are complete and ready to ship. Your progress posts are really interesting to follow :thumbup:

Tomcio
05-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Hello everyone,
I didn't post any updates because I was working on an issue with the side markers... I feel I owe you all an explanation. I'm having trouble with my latest batch of LEDs. I wasn't happy with the number of them failing my tests and I'm just not sure of their quality. I might have to start over and replace all LEDs now. For you it means that it's going to be a while before the side markers are ready. For me it means a LOT of work and a whole lot of money lost. My supplier did admit that there might be a problem with this batch but will not accept returns. Even though the product is faulty they don't want to hear about it... nice. Needless to say I will not deal with this supplier anymore. The LEDs came from a reputable manufacturer and the issue was probably caused by how the LEDs were stored by the supplier.

Anyway, I'm sorry but the side markers will be delayed. There's no ETA right now. I will post an update when I resolve this issue. I just don't want to release a product that isn't what I want it to be.

Sorry...

Domi
05-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Don't be sorry, it's not your fault.

Bitsyncmaster
05-19-2014, 04:55 PM
There is also a lot of counterfeit parts these days. You need to get a supplier that has purchase data on record (ISO certified) but that will probably cost you more for the parts.

I bought some MOSFETs that were marked exactly like the real parts and even the shipping tubes had manufacture marking exactly correct. They did not even come close to data sheet specifications.

Domi
08-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Tom, I know you are very busy with the door struts project, but may I ask if you have any update about the side markers?

Tomcio
08-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Hi Domi,
As you know the side markers were all soldered together and disaster struck. I had to take them apart and start over. I managed to return the LEDs and got a full refund. Then I got a new batch of LEDs from another vendor and they are from a different manufacturer. The problem now is that I have to clean up all those boards and start assembly all over again. Yeah, I got busy with other things in life... door struts being one of them. I got so upset that I just had to get away from all those LEDs. It seems that I had some bad luck with my DeLorean projects... first the bad LEDs and now the bad door struts. At least I got my money back for the LEDs. The door struts is a different story.
Anyway, I plan on getting back to this project soon. I will be going out of town for a few days soon but I'd like to start soldering the LEDs once I get back.

Tillsy
08-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Bugger - been waiting on this, had a feeling the door struts were taking priority :(

Understand the need to walk away from frustration though - never a good thing to keep at it when you're like that.

Domi
08-22-2014, 12:57 PM
All right, thank you for your answer.
Take a break and take your time, I'm not in a big hurry!

Starglider
08-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Well, I am up for two sets now as getting my DMC-12 on the road has been delayed and they would also be good for my DeLorean-themed trailer.

Domi
01-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Tom, do you have any update on this project?
Many thanks ;)

Tomcio
01-12-2015, 02:35 PM
No updates... sorry.
I have to take care of other things in life for now. This project is on hold. I will let everyone know if anything changes.

Sorry, but my health comes first. Then there is that deal with my DeLorean workshop. Ugh... bad times.

Domi
01-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Don't be sorry, take care of your health first, this is more important.
Hope everything will be fine for your health and workshop.

Tomcio
09-23-2015, 06:23 AM
Hello everyone,

After a long delay I finally have an update for everyone interested in the LED door and side marker lights.

My health issues are under control now and I am back to normal life again... so...

I am getting ready to start assembly on the next batch of the door lights.
As you might know there was an issue with some LEDs from my first batch. Unfortunately some lights with the bad LEDs were shipped and some of you might actually have them on their cars. The issue was a manufacturing fault where the aluminum substrate inside the LEDs was not cleaned properly during the production (original LED manufacturer). This caused a slow corrosion which would become visible after about two months of use. This was something I could not have seen at the time of assembly.
New batch will be using LEDs from a different manufacturer - higher quality, much nicer and a little brighter. They were a bit more expensive but I will keep the original price for the lights - the prices are NOT going up!

If you currently have my LED lights in your car and you notice that some of them are not as bright as they used to be or that they are out completely, don't worry. Once the new batch becomes available I will send a replacement set to anyone that asks for one. All I ask for is that you send the old lights back to me. I will let everyone know when I'm ready to send replacements.
BTW, if your lights stopped working for any reason, any cause, just let me know and I will send you a replacement. Let me say this again - if my LED lights are not performing as promised, I will replace them at no charge! Doesn't matter what happened! Even if you have tried powering them from a wall socket (VERY BAD IDEA) you still get a free replacement.

If you are interested in getting a set for your car, just keep an eye on this thread or check my website for updates.

The side marker LED lights will go on the bench as soon as the door lights are all done. I have all the necessary components ready and I just need to assemble the boards. One component that I will not make myself is the aluminum backing plate used for attaching the board to the side marker housing. That will be manufactured by a machine shop.

If you're interested, please hold on until I post that the lights are ready to be shipped!
Please keep in mind that this is a one man operation done in my spare time - expect delays ;)

Thank you and stand by for the next update!

Domi
09-23-2015, 03:32 PM
Hello everyone,
My health issues are under control now and I am back to normal life again... so...

I'm glad to read you're felling better now, health is the most important :thumbup2:

iflights
09-23-2015, 04:50 PM
I'm glad to read you're felling better now, health is the most important :thumbup2:

In total agreement with that sentiment and very happy to get an update on the status of your efforts, so thank you Tom.

mr_maxime
09-23-2015, 09:09 PM
How much does a set of marker light leds cost?

refugeefromcalif
09-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Hello everyone, My health issues are under control now and I am back to normal life again...

Great to hear that you health is back on the Upswing!
The door LED's that I got from you have been flawless since I installed them. (I'm now waiting for the LED side marker lights).

George

Tomcio
09-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Thank you for the kind words guys! I appreciate it a lot. I believe that I'm too young for any serious health issues and it appears that this was a glitch in my software/hardware that I got in my original code (genes) - sorry, this is a geek in my speaking up here ;) Fortunately it appears that this was just a temporary issue... but it did look very serious.

How much does a set of marker light leds cost?

mr maxime,
A set of six LED door lights is $80 with FREE worldwide shipping. I believe that you should not pay more just because you live further away from me, so I cover the difference.
I offer replacement lenses as well and they are $20 for a set of six. Again, shipping is free. There are two options for the lenses - they either replace the OEM colored lenses or they work with the original lenses. In the first case you get more light with slightly less saturated colors and even light distribution. The second option gives you an OEM look but without the distinct point of light. The light is very even with nicely saturated color but light output is slightly less. May I suggest that you visit my website at:
http://www.deloreana.com
I have posted some pictures of the lights and lenses with full description.

BTW, my products are guaranteed for life!

Thanks!

iflights
01-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Tom, any updates on your projects you want to share?

Tomcio
01-28-2016, 08:23 AM
Tom, any updates on your projects you want to share?

All projects are on hold... we have some serious health issues in the family plus I had to relocate my DeLorean shop to a new place. The good news is that everything seems to be on a right track now and I should get back to "normal" soon.
Meanwhile I'm slowly working on a new batch of LED door lights. They use the same boards and the same design but the LEDs are much higher quality and slightly brighter.
The side markers are still on hold... just don't have the time to get back to it. Hopefully, if everything works out I might be able to get this project moving again soon. Unfortunately I can't say what soon means. I'm doing my best, I promise.

Mark D
01-28-2016, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the update Tom. Family and health definitely come first!

Tomcio
05-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Hello everyone!

After a long silence on my part I'm finally able to come to you with some good news.

A new batch of LED door light is available. They use the same boards made in 2013 but the LEDs come from a different manufacturer. They are of much higher quality than before. If you are interested you can order a set right now on my website. I have a limited number of sets available as I am still battling a mysterious illness which leaves me very little time and energy to do something DeLorean related.

I apologize for the delay to everyone who has been waiting for a set of LED door lights or side marker lights. I had to take care of my health first or there would be no one to actually finish the projects ;). After a recent week long stay in a hospital I believe I will be coming back to the world of the living... It appears that all this was just a simple medical case easily treated with simple medication. A stupid flu "leftovers" that took out almost six months of my life. It was just a matter of a correct diagnosis.

Again, 8 sets of the new-and-improved LED door lights are available for order through my website!

Thanks!

Mark D
05-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Glad to hear things are looking up for you Tom!

The set of LED lights I bought from you a few years back still look as great as the day I installed them. I'm also running your extended convex mirrors which is possibly my favorite modification I've made to my car. Hopefully your dealings with poor health are behind you and the best is yet to come.

Tomcio
05-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Glad to hear things are looking up for you Tom!

The set of LED lights I bought from you a few years back still look as great as the day I installed them. I'm also running your extended convex mirrors which is possibly my favorite modification I've made to my car. Hopefully your dealings with poor health are behind you and the best is yet to come.

Thank you Mark!

It's really great to hear (read) that my products make you enjoy the car even more!
Hopefully I'll be able to get back to "normal" life soon and resume work on the side markers, gas springs and another great project that's been in the works for a while now. I just need to add some finishing touches and it might actually be ready for a great reveal ;)

With the current medication I'm suppose to feel much better within a week (fingers crossed) and should be back to normal in two weeks. A piece of advice from someone who just experienced something I've never ever dreamed about - do not underestimate the flu! I was told that I'm lucky it didn't attack my heart as it so often happens. Who would've thought... a stupid flu.

Thanks guys!

BTW, I don't believe the lights will last very long. I already received two orders! Thanks guys!

Domi
05-04-2016, 01:10 PM
I'm glad to read your health is going back to normal life :thumbup2:

iflights
05-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Just installed my LED door lights. Love them. So much better than the 5 points of light LED which was previously in there. Glad I got a set while available. They look spectacular while in "parade mode" using Dave's light relay substitute.

Looks like a couple of sets might still be available on Tom's site deloreana.com.

Peripatetic
07-18-2016, 11:34 PM
Wow.

Just wow.

I bought these when they were restocked and then I procrastinated like my life depended on it. Then I remembered the con was this week so I installed them.

They're brighter, more colorful, and the coolest part is the first third of the door opening at night. It lights up the asphalt in a really impressive bright swoosh.

dtavres
12-16-2016, 05:32 AM
A set of six LED door lights is $80 with FREE worldwide shipping. http://www.deloreana.com

Hi Tomcio (http://dmctalk.org/member.php?1554-Tomcio),

Will you have these back in stock anytime soon? OR, if you aren't going to make more, is there a parts list to build my own?

Thanks!

DavidProehl
12-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Installed a set of your door lights today, I love them! I got them last night as a Christmas present from my mom, apparently she bought the last set. She said your customer service was impeccable, very responsive to her emails.

Here are some install pictures and before/after shots.

The box, very nice presentation:

Red light, before (traditional LED) and after (Tomcio LEDs):

The diffusers were sold out, so I used lighting gels, commonly used for photography and stage lighting, to make my own by cutting squares and taping them in my lenses:

No gel:

With gel:

Here are the amber lights before and after:

Great product! Very happy!

Christian Dietrich
12-31-2016, 05:36 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161231/d46008660496ed63091e113b2302efef.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161231/fa0e84323cef9a7cd6662e1707297394.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161231/b5016b5726c1438e151637d32f6c4cc1.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161231/f8859e63c01be455d9a4bd3243fcdc57.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161231/7bf884863fa35a3521629b6f7f37c9a2.jpg
My son and I installed my Christmas present for the wife last night! I love the wide stripe banner and goes great with the body wide stripe!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

rossmilstein
04-29-2017, 04:11 PM
All good stuff. Did you make the windshield banner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christian Dietrich
04-30-2017, 05:54 AM
All good stuff. Did you make the windshield banner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No.. Its actually from DeLorean.eu

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk