PDA

View Full Version : BTTF photo shoot

MML
04-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Was asked to help with a BTTF themed photoshoot at the weekend for a community centre fundraiser. Credit's due to the guy that organised it, he made a great effort, even dressed up as Marty McFly!

http://i.imgur.com/SfjvSrs.jpg

Nicholas R
04-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Pretty mediocre photographic paper; you cut off the guy's hair!

:wink:

john 05141
04-23-2013, 05:45 AM
Did that guy ever had hair?

thirdmanj
04-23-2013, 06:49 AM
I don't know about you, but I think he looks like a SLACKER!!

ccurzio
04-23-2013, 06:57 AM
Pretty mediocre photographic paper; you cut off the guy's hair!

Fakery, not paper. :)

thirdmanj
04-23-2013, 06:59 AM
pretty mediocre photographic paper; you cut off the guy's hair!

fakery, not paper. :)

....slacker!!

(lol, I thought he said "paper" for the longest time too.)

eagle-co94
04-23-2013, 09:34 AM
So what kind of activities are there at the "Muff Community" park?:facepalm: Besides the bald man dressing up in teenager's clothing of course...:histerical1:

MML
04-23-2013, 09:45 AM
So what kind of activities are there at the "Muff Community" park?:facepalm: Besides the bald man dressing up in teenager's clothing of course...:histerical1:

"Muff" means something else entirely in the UK, ;) but it's actually the name of a small town near me...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muff,_County_Donegal

I think the community park is a sort of playground, they want to raise money for slides, swings etc. hence the 80s theme fundraiser!

thirdmanj
04-23-2013, 09:46 AM

Maybe they have a small man made lake for recreational diving?

MML
04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Maybe they have a small man made lake for recreational diving?

Funny you mention it...
http://www.muffdivingclub.ie/

thirdmanj
04-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Funny you mention it...
http://www.muffdivingclub.ie/

No way!! HAAAAA! :hysterical:

This is hilarious. I did the same thing on another thread when a guy was talking about closing down a street in his town. I made a quip about him probably knowing the mayor... Turns out he was the Vice Mayor. :lol:

eagle-co94
04-23-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything otherwise it would have come out my nose! Thank you so much because I now have another entry to add to my Bucket List!

thirdmanj
04-23-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything otherwise it would have come out my nose! Thank you so much because I now have another entry to add to my Bucket List!

...I'm ordering t-shirts as I type.

Nicholas R
04-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Fakery, not paper. :)

@1:56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SR5BfQ4rEqQ#t=116s

Holy crap, I never knew that, lol! Mind blown... :biggrin:

Mark D
04-23-2013, 04:07 PM
I still insist that Lloyd says "air cold" and not "damn cold" when MJF asks "what? what? is it hot?"

thirdmanj
04-23-2013, 04:14 PM
I still insist that Lloyd says "air cold" and not "damn cold" when MJF asks "what? what? is it hot?"

I always heard "damn".

Soundkillr
04-23-2013, 04:58 PM
I always heard air cold as well....

eagle-co94
04-23-2013, 05:13 PM
I've always heard damn cold and I just played it back a few times to be sure. It makes perfect sense. What in the heck would "air cold" mean anyways? Sounds like gibberish not something a scientist or even Doc Brown would say.

Mark D
04-23-2013, 05:35 PM
I always interpreted "air cold" as meaning that the car had traveled so fast through the wormhole / vortex of time travel that the heat from the outer surface of the car was lost due to rapid convection. When it reappeared at the the destination time the supercooled body of the car is what caused all the condensation and ice to build up.

"Air cold" at least attempts at explaining why the car would be so cold whereas "Damn Cold" just states the obvious.

thirdmanj
04-23-2013, 06:38 PM
I always interpreted "air cold" as meaning that the car had traveled so fast through the wormhole / vortex of time travel that the heat from the outer surface of the car was lost due to rapid convection. When it reappeared at the the destination time the supercooled body of the car is what caused all the condensation and ice to build up.

"Air cold" at least attempts at explaining why the car would be so cold whereas "Damn Cold" just states the obvious.

Whoa...ahh, wow... You REALLY thought about that. ;) all this talk over "air cold" and "damn cold" is sooo Nerd Thread worthy.

I can't see how you guys are hearing "air cold"

SS Spoiler
04-23-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm hard of hearing and I read lips a lot, he's saying "cold, damn cold"

ccurzio
04-23-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm hard of hearing and I read lips a lot, he's saying "cold, damn cold"

Impressive since his mouth is facing away from the camera when the line is delivered.

Nicholas R
04-24-2013, 01:29 AM
Impressive since his mouth is facing away from the camera when the line is delivered.

Yea I just watched it. His back is pretty much completely facing the camera.

He also definitely says "damn cold".

What would "air cold" mean? At least the "mediocre photography paper/fakery" both make sense, haha. :wink: but I dont understand what "air cold" would even mean.

Mark D
04-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Back when we were working on the time machine restoration someone on the team asked Bob Gale about it and he said it was "Damn cold". I still can't help but hear air cold though, I'm not sure why. I'll have to go back and watch it a few more times.

EDIT Here is a sound clip. I can hear it both ways

http://movie-sounds.org/old-movie-samples/back-to-the-future/marty-what-is-it-hot-doc-its-cold-damn-cold

ccurzio
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I've always heard "air cold", which makes perfect sense to explain the ice buildup. Ever been on an airplane and noticed the eventual ice crystallization on the windows? Same thing. It's why they have to de-ice the wings.

I know that Bob Gale essentially wrote the movie but I still disagree with him and everyone else saying it's "damn cold". I will always insist that Doc is saying "air cold" considering the science of the scene.

thirdmanj
04-24-2013, 10:44 AM
I've always heard "air cold", which makes perfect sense to explain the ice buildup. Ever been on an airplane and noticed the eventual ice crystallization on the windows? Same thing. It's why they have to de-ice the wings.

I know that Bob Gale essentially wrote the movie but I still disagree with him and everyone else saying it's "damn cold". I will always insist that Doc is saying "air cold" considering the science of the scene.

But he's definitely saying "damn cold". I don't even think "air cold" is a scientific term for anything.

Mark D
04-24-2013, 10:47 AM
I think part of it is that CL pronounces certain words in a very unique way. He's also talking under his breath a little bit in that scene and it's muffled by the sounds of air and steam being vented off by the car. For the longest time I couldn't even hear him say "Damn" no matter how hard I tried, but if you think it in your head while listening to the audio clip it's there. If i'm not intentially trying to hear the word "damn" though my brain reverts back to hearing "air" since that's what I've always heard.

Another one that took me forever to figure out when I was a kid was when he is explaining the "Sleep inducing alpha rhythm generator" that he used to put Jennifer to sleep at the beginning of Pt II. It sounds like he's gargling a bunch of marbles in his mouth when he says it and I could never figure out what the hell he was saying.

ccurzio
04-24-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't even think "air cold" is a scientific term for anything.

Maybe not, but he still says it. :)

thirdmanj
04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Maybe not, but he still says it. :)

No he doesn't! You can clearly hear the "D" in damn when he says the line!!! ...this is madness.

Bob Gale says its "damn"
The script says its "damn"
Subtitles say its "damn"
Aaaaand, you can compare it to him (very clearly) saying "damn" at the end of the film when he's waiting for Marty to get there.

Damn it man!
http://movie-sounds.org/quotes/back-future/MARTY-What-Is-it-hot-DOC-Its-cold-Damn-cold.mp3

Mark D
04-24-2013, 11:01 AM
But he's definitely saying "damn cold". I don't even think "air cold" is a scientific term for anything.

air cold seems pretty straight forward to me... air rushing over something transfers heat. Have you never blown on your spoonful of soup to cool it off?

I'll agree that Lloyd is saying Damn Cold. You win that arguement, but WHY is the car damn cold? Because of the rush of air cooling the car as it travels through time.

thirdmanj
04-24-2013, 11:04 AM
air cold seems pretty straight forward to me... air rushing over something transfers heat. Have you never blown on your spoonful of soup to cool it off?

I'll agree that Lloyd is saying Damn Cold. You win that arguement, but WHY is the car damn cold? Because of the rush of air cooling the car as it travels through time.

I don't think they put that much thought into it. The TM leaves hot and comes in cold. They were trying to convey just how cold it was, "damn cold". I don't think they were thinking about cold air at all. Air wasn't the factor, the act of time traveling was.

SS Spoiler
04-24-2013, 11:09 AM
You're right he was facing the other way. I watched it again, of course I had closed caps on and I read the words "cold, damn cold". I always assumed I read his lips.

ccurzio
04-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Bob Gale says its "damn"
The script says its "damn"
Subtitles say its "damn"

Simple explanation: all of those are wrong.

thirdmanj
04-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Simple explanation: all of those are wrong.

OMG you're impossible! :angry_whip: so you're just going to ignore all the evidence in favor of your preconceived notion? Sounds like some other people I debate with... But I'll not go into specifics. ;)

Mark D
04-24-2013, 11:13 AM
I don't think they put that much thought into it. The TM leaves hot and comes in cold. They were trying to convey just how cold it was, "damn cold". I don't think they were thinking about cold air at all. Air wasn't the factor, the act of time traveling was.

I'll agree with everything in your last post.

... my point was that "air cold" makes logical sense from a scientific standpoint which is why there a lot of people out there that seem to hear "air cold".

I'm not arguing that he actually said "air', but rather that it's understandable that people hear it this way since it would make sense if he had.

thirdmanj
04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
I agree with everything in your last post.

... my point was that "air cold" makes logical sense from a scientific standpoint which is why there a lot of people out there that seem to hear "air cold".

I'm not arguing that he actually said "air', but rather that it's understandable that people hear it this way since it would make sense if he had.

Yeah I see how you're thinking, but I still don't think it makes any sense because again, air had nothing to do with the time travel event. That's all I was getting at.

at this point, I think Chris is just trolling me. Successfully I might add.

eagle-co94
04-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Man what a bunch of geeks we are debating over one word in a scene.

Honestly, I think it's being over analyzed. The scientific basis may have some merit, but then why would almost nothing else on the car be explained besides 88mph and 1.21 Gigawatts? Going into an explanation of cooling air would be a waste of film and honestly sounds pretty dumb.

ccurzio
04-24-2013, 11:20 AM
so you're just going to ignore all the evidence in favor of your preconceived notion?

Yup! :)

Incidentally this is probably the only instance in the whole of the universe where I completely ignore the facts in favor of my belief. In everything else, I USE facts to generate my belief.

Mark D
04-24-2013, 11:22 AM
at this point, I think Chris is just trolling me. Successfully I might add.

Yeah I kinda got that impression also :biggrin:

He's doing an air good job.

thirdmanj
04-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Man what a bunch of geeks we are debating over one word in a scene.

Oh don't I know it. We're having a full on geek circle jerk in this bitch. I've never been to one, but I think I'm getting a taste of what going to a Star Trek or Star Wars convention would be like.

Yeah I kinda got that impression also :biggrin:

He's doing an air good job.

:hysterical:

Yup! :)

Incidentally this is probably the only instance in the whole of the universe where I completely ignore the facts in favor of my belief. In everything else, I USE facts to generate my belief.
:eek7: I hate you so much right now.

ccurzio
04-24-2013, 11:25 AM
I still don't think it makes any sense because again, air had nothing to do with the time travel event. That's all I was getting at.

Actually, that isn't true. You're transitioning into a wormhole from an air-filled environment. You're jumping from 88MPH to god-knows-what-speed and then back down to 88 into another air-filled environment. Not only that, it's also safe to assume some air was dragged along with the car and then hyper-cooled. Factor all of that in with condensation, and yeah.

That's why the ice on the car is magnified a hell of a lot more compared to what you'd see on an airplane.

thirdmanj
04-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Actually, that isn't true. You're transitioning into a wormhole from an air-filled environment. You're jumping from 88MPH to god-knows-what-speed and then back down to 88 into another air-filled environment. Not only that, it's also safe to assume some air was dragged along with the car and then hyper-cooled. Factor all of that in with condensation, and yeah.

That's why the ice on the car is magnified a hell of a lot more compared to what you'd see on an airplane.

I'm done with this BTTF bukkake. ;)

Starglider
04-24-2013, 11:57 AM
I confess I always heard 'air cold' and assumed the skin was below the freezing point of nitrogen (60K ish). But on reflection that would warp (and probably crack) the panels something crazy and make all kinds of popping and squealing sounds.

Nicholas R
04-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Just for the record, if you watch the movie with the commentary Bob Gale simply states that their idea of time travel was that the car goes in hot and comes out cold. It was nothing about wormholes or air rushing past the car or anything.

He even said that in the sequels they didn't want to have to keep up on covering the car in dry ice and liquid nitrogen, so as the "cold effects" became less they said that it was somehow because of Mr. fusion.

In addition in all my classes of thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, etc. I've never heard the term "air cold." And there's definitely a D at the beginning of what Doc says.

Could it be that he says "dare cold"? I mean that makes about as much sense as a "air cold." And that sounds closer anyway :wink:

DL4567
04-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Geez Louise you guys.

It's "damn cold." Anything else doesn't make sense.

Subtitles:

http://imageshack.us/a/img687/735/damncoldcustom.jpg

OverlandMan
04-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Geez Louise you guys.

It's "damn cold." Anything else doesn't make sense.

Subtitles:

http://imageshack.us/a/img687/735/damncoldcustom.jpg

Never realized Doc wore Nike shoes as well.

DL4567
04-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Never realized Doc wore Nike shoes as well.

Yep, Nike Air Force Ones, in "wheat" color.

refugeefromcalif
04-28-2013, 04:39 PM
I've always heard it as, "Damn Cold" also.

George

Farrar
04-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Now I get the air/bukkake reference from the other thread.

Cue the slow clap.

eagle-co94
04-29-2013, 10:48 PM

Cue the slow clap.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhnXWJmKbU4

Farrar
04-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Was thinking more of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B01o2xtJwgk

thirdmanj
04-30-2013, 06:40 AM

Cue the slow clap.

Which thread?

Farrar
04-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Which thread?

This one (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?315-The-Official-quot-Funny-Stuff!-You-Have-to-See-This!-quot-Thread/page33).

thirdmanj
04-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Oh yeah...lol.