PDA

View Full Version : Those of you who have run or are running an MSD igintion box(ex. Digital 6, etc.)??

DeloreanJoshQ
07-05-2011, 09:26 PM
I have a couple questions for those of you who have run or are running an MSD ignition box(ex. Digital 6, etc.). What has been your experience with it after hooking it up? What did you notice different?

I talked to a MSD rep today and was told that the Digital 6 will work with any odd-fire motor. It is part number 6520 and runs $300.

I was also curious on how you hook it up to the distributor, resistor, coil, and tach wires with the Delorean Bosch set-up. I am assuming you must hook the tach up to the box (I believe gray wire).

Thanks!

Josh Q

content22207
07-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Any breakerless ignition controller that can interpret the magnetic pickup signal from our distributors should work. I just happen to currently be running a Ford ignition module on my car no problem (temporarily testing it for another owner). In my case, these are wires into the Ford module:
- 12v power supply
- ground
- distributor pickup out
- distributor pickup in
- negative side of coil
The module also has a wire that is ordinarily connected to the starter trigger circuit, but it is loose (Bosch harness does not include that signal -- car is starting just fine without it).

Bill Robertson

content22207
07-05-2011, 10:56 PM
MSD wiring instructions: http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/6420_instructions.pdf

These are already available in the stock ECU harness connector:
- Red (Green)
- Black (White/Slate)
- Violet (outer braid of shielded cable, labeled "16" on the harness connector)
- Green (inner wire of shielded cable, labeled "15" on the harness connector)

Stock ECU Harness uses 16 gauge wire -- don't know if it's adequate for MSD's 12 gauge Red and Black.

I have no idea why Orange is even necessary, but it should be easy enough to run to the coil.

Bill Robertson

dhaney
07-13-2011, 10:37 PM
I have a couple questions for those of you who have run or are running an MSD ignition box(ex. Digital 6, etc.). What has been your experience with it after hooking it up? What did you notice different?

On the old forum someone did some testing and I think even some dyno testing with the Nology set up and the stock ignition on the same car and found no advantage. In fact if I recall correctly the Nology system actually cost the car a few hp, not something you would want in a car that MIGHT be putting 90hp at the wheels on a really good day.

Dan

stevedmc
07-13-2011, 11:08 PM
On the old forum someone did some testing and I think even some dyno testing with the Nology set up and the stock ignition on the same car and found no advantage. In fact if I recall correctly the Nology system actually cost the car a few hp, not something you would want in a car that MIGHT be putting 90hp at the wheels on a really good day.

Dan

For what it's worth I installed MSD wires and a high performance coil about 6 months ago and left everything else alone. I didn't notice any improvement in gas mileage

Thi past weekend I rewired my resistor to give 12v to the coil and gapped my plugs to .05. I have already notice an improvement in gas mileage. Say what you want but I've seen results.

Disclaimer: Me and my car both like carbs and spec .01 exhaust systems.

content22207
07-13-2011, 11:39 PM
The problem is the antiquated .024" plug gap. The flame front is simply too small. As this SAE research paper clearly shows, increasing spark plug gap increases combustion efficiency: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?652-Running-a-DeLorean-on-Ford-Ignition&p=7222&viewfull=1#post7222.

A stock Bosch coil, powered by the stock resistor grid, does not produce enough voltage to reliably jump a larger plug gap. If you are going to increase the plug gap, you must increase secondary voltage, which entails upgrading to a higher winding coil, powered by more than 6-8 volts.

Bill Robertson