PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Springs

SIMid
05-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Hi everyone,

My D should be arriving some time towards the end of June and I do know she has the "high nose" issue.

So I'm looking into options regarding the different springs available on the market.

Can owners post up side profile pics of the aftermarket springs they have used for comparison? Eibach, Delorean Performance Parts, etc. and also how they perform?

Someone suggested that I should reset the standard springs to my desired ride height, but altering spring compression might cause an issue with the handling....?

Thanks everyone. :)

fnzen
05-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Martins springs are great!

foreman
05-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Martin's springs being Delorean Performance Parts?

i've been wondering about the springs available from DPP. i bought shocks from there and they are great. just wanted to see what the ride height looked like before buying and installing

fnzen
05-25-2011, 12:53 AM
No Martin dba Delorean UK

http://www.delorean.co.uk/

Chris 16409
05-25-2011, 01:56 AM

I have Martin's springs as well, and I really like them. Your front end seems to sit a bit lower than mine though. What kind of shocks do you have. My friend had similar results with Hervey's Easy riders. I have SPAX fitted.

SIMid
05-25-2011, 03:10 AM

Are the rears stock springs fnzen?

Nice height in the front though! :D

SIMid
05-25-2011, 03:11 AM
Martin's springs being Delorean Performance Parts?

i've been wondering about the springs available from DPP. i bought shocks from there and they are great. just wanted to see what the ride height looked like before buying and installing

+1 and comparison with Eibachs too. :p

sdg3205
05-25-2011, 11:07 AM
+1 for Martin's springs.

Reasonably priced even with shipping and a perfect ride height.

After 2 weeks I've got about 1 inch above the front tire and 1.5 inches above the rear (with stock rears and stock girlings all around).

fnzen
05-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Are the rears stock springs fnzen?

Nice height in the front though! :D

The picture has rear w/ stock springs and stock girlings, this has been fixed with SPAX all around and rear shock set at lowest thread.
I need to post recent pictures.

Grover
05-25-2011, 05:32 PM
I just installed PJ Grady's Springs. He had a new batch made up. I really like the stance it gives, and with the new rubber, it will prob. settle another 1/4 inch. Whenever I am home again I will take a picture.

Update, FYI, the total drop he states is around. 1 1/4 inches.

DMCNY
05-25-2011, 07:23 PM
I've got Martin's front springs in my car, and absolutely love them.

Stock shocks front and rear and stock coils rear.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/andygarand/Picture003-1.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/andygarand/Picture001-1.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/andygarand/Picture004.jpg

DeloreanJoshQ
05-26-2011, 08:05 PM
The picture has rear w/ stock springs and stock girlings, this has been fixed with SPAX all around and rear shock set at lowest thread.
I need to post recent pictures.

I am looking forward to seeing these pics fnzen...
What is the gap in inches at the rear with the Spax shocks?

Right now I have lowering springs on the front (don't know who's) w/Grady nitro-filled shocks and stock rear springs and shocks...I have 2" gap between top of tire and top of wheel arc in the front and 2.5" in rear...I would like to lower the rear down .5" to match the gap with the front....

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/222692_10150578241830696_671145695_18477688_440607 4_n.jpg

thegovernor9912
05-27-2011, 07:28 AM
The ride height with the spax shocks in the rear will vary since they are adjustable. Marty Mier's KYBs are adjustable as well. The girlings are not.

Front ride height is dependant only on the spring, the shock has nothing to do with it.

SIMid
05-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Just had a look at PJ Grady's website to see if he had a pair of front springs, nothing listed.

Alex Brooks
05-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Won't changing the front springs and leaving the 30 year old ones back not do much in way of handling? Yeah it will look better but, I just think it is something that should be done all the way around or not at all. But I guess they I never got a round to doing it.

Ryan King
05-30-2011, 06:53 PM
I have Hervey's shocks and Martin's front springs. I also moved my original front springs to the rear end of the car. You can see my set up here -

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?111-Shocks-Spax-vs.-Eibach-vs.-DeLorean.eu-vs.-MidState

About halfway down.

SIMid
05-30-2011, 06:57 PM
So the fronts can be placed on the rears? Wow! Never knew that!

Ryan King
05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
So the fronts can be placed on the rears? Wow! Never knew that!

I thought I'd give it a shot, and it worked out perfectly! I didn't even have to compress it. I still need to get my car aligned, so I haven't gotten to fully experience it yet.

SIMid
05-30-2011, 09:27 PM
I thought I'd give it a shot, and it worked out perfectly! I didn't even have to compress it. I still need to get my car aligned, so I haven't gotten to fully experience it yet.

What about the rebound rate and handling? Wouldn't the front springs be tuned for the weight of the car, so adding another couple hundred of kilos would effect the performance of the front spring in the rear? Looks wise, looks great, but I'm unsure about the performance of the springs itself. :confused:

Grover
05-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Just had a look at PJ Grady's website to see if he had a pair of front springs, nothing listed.

His site has been wacky since the upgrade. Give him a call, he has slot of improved parts that aren't listed on the site.

DMCMW Dave
05-30-2011, 09:34 PM
What about the rebound rate and handling? Wouldn't the front springs be tuned for the weight of the car, so adding another couple hundred of kilos would effect the performance of the front spring in the rear? Looks wise, looks great, but I'm unsure about the performance of the springs itself. :confused:

This was part of the "cut n swap" modification that was very common in the 80s. Folks would take the front springs and put them on the back, which would lower the rear of car. The rear would be a bit strange because the spring rate is lower but the shocks were still stiff.

They would then take the old rears, and cut off a coil, and install them on the front. This would lower the front an make the spring rate much higher. All in all a pretty sketchy mod but the price was right.

Usually cars done like this look very slammed in the front.

SIMid
05-30-2011, 10:35 PM
This was part of the "cut n swap" modification that was very common in the 80s. Folks would take the front springs and put them on the back, which would lower the rear of car. The rear would be a bit strange because the spring rate is lower but the shocks were still stiff.

So in general, the handling was acceptable?

louielouie2000
05-30-2011, 11:40 PM
So in general, the handling was acceptable?

I had a "chop & swap" car. It definitely rode a bit harder in the front, but otherwise, you couldn't tell a difference in the handling. It was however a pain to drive the car on anything other than flat pavement. Even modestly sized speed bumps were big problems. The guy who bought my D ended up putting Eibach springs on the car.

Here's what the car looked like with the chop & swap springs: (ignore younger, dorkier me in the driver's seat :lol:)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/26829_1373490933737_1125706093_31133174_4109160_n. jpg

SIMid
05-31-2011, 03:21 AM
(ignore younger, dorkier me in the driver's seat :lol:)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/26829_1373490933737_1125706093_31133174_4109160_n. jpg

:lol:

Looks great though, love to have it that low!

Getting a price on a set of Eibachs + Postage and waiting for PJG and Martin's to get back to me with prices.

So if I went with PJG or Martin's then I should chuck the fronts onto the rears then? Or will she sit too low at the back? Dont really want to pay $$ to realise she's not sitting right at the end of the day.

delornut
06-01-2011, 10:46 AM

They would then take the old rears, and cut off a coil, and install them on the front. This would lower the front an make the spring rate much higher. All in all a pretty sketchy mod but the price was right.

Usually cars done like this look very slammed in the front.

I guess I qualify as an old timer as I've had my DeLorean for over 30 years. Early on this was the only option to lower the car. I did the chop and swap to a few DeLoreans and the strange thing was that even though the same amount was cut from the rear springs prior to moving them to the front, some cars sat much lower when done. I've seen that with some of the newer after market springs as well. I've heard some of the under bodies were heavier than others depending on which mold was used but that may be more speculation than fact.

Bruce Benson

DCUK Martin
06-01-2011, 01:17 PM
It's very definitely the case that not all cars behave the same with identical springs.

I'm so glad people enjoy driving their cars with my front springs installed. The aim was always to improve handling as well as appearance.

I'm currently out of stock and unless I start getting a lot of enquiries, I'm unsure whether to invest in a further batch. This is partly due to the variable results with identical springs and partly due to not being able to meet the same price point thanks to an increase in UK sales tax and an increase in price from the manufacturer.

fnzen
06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
:lol:

Looks great though, love to have it that low!

Getting a price on a set of Eibachs + Postage and waiting for PJG and Martin's to get back to me with prices.

So if I went with PJG or Martin's then I should chuck the fronts onto the rears then? Or will she sit too low at the back? Dont really want to pay $$ to realise she's not sitting right at the end of the day.

With Martins , although I guess they are a rare animal now, you keep your rear springs on and use ajustable shocks to lower.

Evildeli
06-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I've got Martin's front springs in my car, and absolutely love them.

Stock shocks front and rear and stock coils rear.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/andygarand/Picture003-1.jpg

That's how I wanna set mine up. Martin's fronts/stock shocks.

dmc6960
06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm currently out of stock and unless I start getting a lot of enquiries, I'm unsure whether to invest in a further batch.

Well that is certainly unfortunate, I for one absolutely love the springs. Whats the final breakdown on the numbers produced? How many in Europe? How many in US?

Jim Reeve
DMC6960

Jeremy Popp
06-06-2011, 03:21 PM
I am looking forward to seeing these pics fnzen...
What is the gap in inches at the rear with the Spax shocks?

Right now I have lowering springs on the front (don't know who's) w/Grady nitro-filled shocks and stock rear springs and shocks...I have 2" gap between top of tire and top of wheel arc in the front and 2.5" in rear...I would like to lower the rear down .5" to match the gap with the front....

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/222692_10150578241830696_671145695_18477688_440607 4_n.jpg

Josh, I think you have Grady's lowering springs for the front of that car, but I can't be certain. I know that's what I have, and I seem to remember cliff having the same set-up on that. Then again, he may have changed them around a bit, he has more sets of springs than anyone I know.

Grover
06-06-2011, 04:38 PM
BTW, what is the "standard" gap for the rear? I put Spax in and I measured to have it sit as close to the stock shock retainer for the spring. It looks a bit high, and I forgot to measure what it was stock.

DCUK Martin
06-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Well that is certainly unfortunate, I for one absolutely love the springs. Whats the final breakdown on the numbers produced? How many in Europe? How many in US?

Wow.... thanks for the ringing endorsement http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/images/smilies/t.gif (can we have this smiley too please, I love it!)

55 pairs made, 3 sets subsequently replaced. I couldn't tell you exactly how many went where but I reckon most went stateside.

I'll probably have another set comissioned in a month or two. I want to make sure I have all my bases covered with regards the occasional car which drops too low, and also to make sure the manufacturer sorts out the tolerance issues I had. The cost is also an issue. I had a happy price point including shipping, now the cost, UK sales' tax and shipping have all gone up.

DeloreanJoshQ
06-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Josh, I think you have Grady's lowering springs for the front of that car, but I can't be certain. I know that's what I have, and I seem to remember cliff having the same set-up on that. Then again, he may have changed them around a bit, he has more sets of springs than anyone I know.

Yes, you are right, they are Grady lowering springs...

Farrar
06-09-2011, 11:24 PM
FWIW, here's mine with Eibachs all round.

Shocks are John Hervey's "Easy Rider" installed in 2008.

Farrar

Rich
07-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Can owners post up side profile pics of the aftermarket springs they have used for comparison? Eibach, Delorean Performance Parts, etc. and also how they perform?

Someone suggested that I should reset the standard springs to my desired ride height, but altering spring compression might cause an issue with the handling....?

You're right, skip the spring-compressor ride-height fix. The resulting spring rate is unchanged and the wheel travel is lessened so the risk of bottoming out the front end goes up. Same goes for chopping the coils.

Here are before-after photos. OEM vs. the Eibach setup with DMCH shocks all around. Since the rear ride height is adjustable via the shocks the car is set such that the rear crossmember is at same height as front, ditto for the body tub jacking points. Adjustable rear lower links bring the camber into spec. In both photos the fuel tank is full and the car is otherwise empty.

Handling is much improved with flatter cornering, reduced understeer and reduced bump-steer.

h22wut
07-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Does anyone have any info on coilovers for the Delorean? I think the springs are cool, but I have a strong need to go lower than they provide. An adjustable coilover, or even airbag setup would be ideal for what I'm looking for in the car.

TTait
07-31-2011, 04:31 AM
Does anyone have any info on coilovers for the Delorean? I think the springs are cool, but I have a strong need to go lower than they provide. An adjustable coilover, or even airbag setup would be ideal for what I'm looking for in the car.

If you want to go lower than the aftermarket springs allow, I'd suggest keeping the steering wheel straight, and never turning it. The front wheel will end up hitting the underside of the fender eventually.

Maybe if you put some custom 12" or 13" wheels on the front you could do something...

TTait
07-31-2011, 04:35 AM
BTW, what is the "standard" gap for the rear? I put Spax in and I measured to have it sit as close to the stock shock retainer for the spring. It looks a bit high, and I forgot to measure what it was stock.

From memory, from 5 years ago or so, the top of your adjustable spring perch is 5.5" up the shock for stock ride height...

I think...

DCUK Martin
07-31-2011, 05:47 AM
Does anyone have any info on coilovers for the Delorean? I think the springs are cool, but I have a strong need to go lower than they provide.

Self contained spring/damper units are not feasible on the DeLorean without modification.

SIMid
07-31-2011, 06:49 AM
FWIW, here's mine with Eibachs all round.

Shocks are John Hervey's "Easy Rider" installed in 2008.

Farrar

Thats the height im looking for. Be the same with stock shocks?

stevedmc
07-31-2011, 02:33 PM
For what it's with I had Eibach springs on the front with Spax shocks. It was too low for my taste so I replaced the Eibach spring with stock and simply loaded the trunk with tools. Now I have a set of Eibach springs that I am not using. I paid $400 for them and am considering reasonable offers.

h22wut
07-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Self contained spring/damper units are not feasible on the DeLorean without modification.

That's pretty much what I figured. I'm sure many will not like it, but I plan on fitting air ride to the car, and a set of low offset wheels, and pretty much sitting it on the ground when parked.

As great as coilovers are, they are a pain to deal with when you ride super low to the ground. Air suspension has come far enough I believe to have a comfortable ride while still allowing the travel.

Farrar
08-01-2011, 10:22 AM
That's pretty much what I figured. I'm sure many will not like it, but I plan on fitting air ride to the car, and a set of low offset wheels, and pretty much sitting it on the ground when parked.

Ask this guy how he did it.

Farrar

BK2DFUTR
08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey thats my car... of course air ride is possible and I believe I am the only one so far who has done it on a delorean. If you want the car to sit on the ground like I have it in the picture you will have to make modifications to the car. I ended up doing air ride cause I found that all the lowering springs that are available don't lower the car enough for my satisfaction 1.5 - 2 inches lower max. Coilovers can be done and bolted on easier but then again like stated above its more of a hassle to adjust and once its set your always at that one fixed setting and not really adjustable anymore for convience unless you want to always redo your alingment. If you want coil-overs or air be prepared to spend $$$$ or if you want a quick simple fix then replacement springs are the best choice for the car.

JMLaux
08-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I'll probably have another set comissioned in a month or two. I want to make sure I have all my bases covered with regards the occasional car which drops too low, and also to make sure the manufacturer sorts out the tolerance issues I had. The cost is also an issue. I had a happy price point including shipping, now the cost, UK sales' tax and shipping have all gone up.

If you do happen to make any more of these I would love to be first in line for them before I miss out completely :D

h22wut
08-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Hey thats my car... of course air ride is possible and I believe I am the only one so far who has done it on a delorean. If you want the car to sit on the ground like I have it in the picture you will have to make modifications to the car. I ended up doing air ride cause I found that all the lowering springs that are available don't lower the car enough for my satisfaction 1.5 - 2 inches lower max. Coilovers can be done and bolted on easier but then again like stated above its more of a hassle to adjust and once its set your always at that one fixed setting and not really adjustable anymore for convience unless you want to always redo your alingment. If you want coil-overs or air be prepared to spend $$$$ or if you want a quick simple fix then replacement springs are the best choice for the car.

Holy crap this community is freaking awesome! I've been drooling over that picture of your car forever! You have a pm lol