PDA

View Full Version : General Engine Cover Latch Modification

Ryan King
04-28-2013, 09:05 PM
So if you're like me, which, many people are, then your stupid piece of crap engine cover latch never popped right. So today my friend Chris and I went down to the local junk yard to peruse. I had an idea that maybe I could find a better latch to use for my engine cover

I immediately went to the Saturns. I figured they would have the simplest and most robust latch compared to most other cars. I ended up pulling a trunk latch off a 93 Saturn. It was held in by 2 bolts, just like ours, and the spacing was just like ours. And with a little modification with two brackets, it fits perfectly and works just as it should. The engine cover pops up. Finally. Here are the following photos of my modification. Feel free to post questions if you have any.

Old latch for reference -

New Saturn Switch installed. I wish I had been taking photos as I went, but I wasn't sure if it was going to work out.

I like that with this new latch, I don't have to use that piece of bent metal to help secure the latch cable to the fiberglass of the rear fascia.

I was able to cross over the bolt pieces from the original latch to use on the new modified brackets. I also snagged an extra spring off of another Saturn to make sure I had enough pop

And here is the backside. It's crude, but it works!

Nicholas R
04-29-2013, 01:32 AM
Wait, you're having trouble with the later style latch?? :confused:

Man, I searched for years just trying to find a later style latch to replace my early style. The early style is a true nightmare. Ever since I got the later style, it's worked great.

Still, this is a pretty cool find. If I hadn't found a later style latch earlier this year, chances are I would have headed to U-Pull-and-Pay this week to get the same latch you're showing here. Any chance you can get a part number or at least what model and year car it's from? This would be a great item to add to the crossover parts list! :thumbup:

Ryan King
04-29-2013, 01:42 AM
Wait, you're having trouble with the later style latch?? :confused:

Man, I searched for years just trying to find a later style latch to replace my early style. The early style is a true nightmare. Ever since I got the later style, it's worked great.

Still, this is a pretty cool find. If I hadn't found a later style latch earlier this year, chances are I would have headed to U-Pull-and-Pay this week to get the same latch you're showing here. Any chance you can get a part number or at least what model and year car it's from? This would be a great item to add to the crossover parts list! :thumbup:

The Latch is off the trunk of a 93-94 Saturn 2 or 4 door. Its really basic. I dont have a part number.

I dont know what style latch I had. All I know is it just never worked right. I tried Lubricating it, adding springs, adjusting like crazy. No luck. I paid 8.99 for it at my local yard. All I had to do was widen out the part where the pull wire goes to fit the plastic piece into place. And make the brackets so I could use the existing holes in my rear fasica without any extra drilling or modification.

LordFly
05-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Is the problem everyone has just with the fact that the cover doesn't pop up when the latch is released? Because if it is, you guys are really over complicating the solution. My car has a foam/rubber pad. Was on the car when I got it. I assumed it was stock. It works great.

refugeefromcalif
05-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Here's a couple pics of the underside of 6599's engine cover.

I only have 2 little Threaded bumpers on each end and have no problem with it Popping Up when I pull the inside handle. (After I've opened the louvers from the outside).

They remind me of the Bumpers on each end of the hood.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19141&d=1368921218

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19140&d=1368921119

Maybe later Vin's. had something different?

George

DMC5180
05-27-2013, 12:42 PM
The Latch is off the trunk of a 93-94 Saturn 2 or 4 door. Its really basic. I dont have a part number.

I dont know what style latch I had. All I know is it just never worked right. I tried Lubricating it, adding springs, adjusting like crazy. No luck. I paid 8.99 for it at my local yard. All I had to do was widen out the part where the pull wire goes to fit the plastic piece into place. And make the brackets so I could use the existing holes in my rear fasica without any extra drilling or modification.

I wonder how adaptable that assembly would be for the TRUNK latch. I've never liked the way the factory set up works.

refugeefromcalif
05-27-2013, 06:21 PM
I wonder how adaptable that assembly would be for the TRUNK latch. I've never liked the way the factory set up works.

+1!
I Hate how opening my trunk is a 2 handed operation. :angry:

George

Patrick C
05-27-2013, 08:33 PM
+1!

George

Time for a new latch spring or doubling up on the springs. It should not be a 2 handed operation when properly set up.

DMC5180
05-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Time for a new latch spring or doubling up on the springs. It should not be a 2 handed operation when properly set up.

I have the heavier spring on my latch. Which does pop it up. However it also bares more pressure on the latch hook which adds to sawing action of the hook on the loop when releasing it. It also adds excess drag pressure on the release cable which we know is prone to fatigue breaking at the handle. It's just a crappy latch system.

DeLorean03
06-28-2013, 01:04 AM
I know I showed up late to this party, but I have been fiddling with this particular part of the car quite a bit lately. I have tightened the cable, moved the engine stopper's length all over the place, moved the engine cover latch's length all over the place, cleaned the latch/lock, and installed a new spring - all to no effect.

My thought: why not just bend or grind this lil' part in the red circle out of the way:

If you were to do that, wouldn't that long arm push continuously against the engine striker latch (hollow triangular piece in the lower engine cover) and lift the lower engine cover properly?

I am planning on trying it. I am willing to take the risk as I know this particular part is not available. Anyone see any major reason why I shouldn't try it before I permanently modify a NLA part?

pk2678
06-28-2013, 01:32 AM
+1!

George

I installed the Trunk Latch Pop-Up Kit from DeLorean Parts Northwest (http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K1023DP&Category_Code=). It works good.
This is how it looks like:

No additional force required when pulling the hood release cable. But the adjustment screw with spring is outside the housing.

--Peter

jawn101
06-28-2013, 01:47 AM
I installed the Trunk Latch Pop-Up Kit from DeLorean Parts Northwest (http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K1023DP&Category_Code=). It works good.
This is how it looks like:

No additional force required when pulling the hood release cable. But the adjustment screw with spring is outside the housing.

--Peter

Hmm... Wonder if that would work on the engine cover too?

SS Spoiler
06-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Wow. great minds think alike. When I saw the photo of the trunk latch, I went out to look at mine. It is almost exactly what I did four years ago, when the spring broke. Tobys looks much more elegant.