PDA

View Full Version : Flowmaster 80

cdmc12
04-30-2013, 04:09 PM
For some reason my car's PO put a glasspack muffler on with a single outlet on the passenger side. I've been thinking about putting a stainless single-in, dual-out muffler in its place. I've been considering a Flowmaster 80, mostly because its the only one I've been able to find that I think will fit with the heat shield in place. The price isn't bad either, and it might even help the performance a bit (I hope). I've been listening to as many clips on Youtube as possible to get an idea of exhaust sound, but really that isn't the best way to get an idea of how the various exhausts really sound. I should also add that I don't have the coin right now to spring for a full performance exhaust swap, but something to get rid of my awful looking rusty glasspack would be fantastic.

What I don't know is how loud are the flowmaster 80s, and how tinny do they sound? I would like to avoid both of those. I tend to take my car on road trips a lot, so I would like to also avoid a drone at highway speeds if at all possible.

Also, if the Flowmasters aren't great, what do people recommend?

Farrar
04-30-2013, 04:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrOBCZWM8Zc

Ron
04-30-2013, 04:17 PM
There are several original mufflers in the For Sale section? Some look quit reasonable IIRC.

1batt4u
05-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Funny thing, I am in need of an exhaust system.

I love the sound of that DeLorean with the Flowmaster series 80 muffler.

I really want to buy Josh's SW exhaust system, really love the setup, but not crazy about the sound. Wonder if the guys that make them for him can easily make the setup inside like flowmaster series 80?

uhhair
05-03-2013, 12:28 PM
That's Justin Mettee's DMC. I've heard it in person at least 100 times, and it's probably one of the best exhaust notes I've seen on a delorean so far. Very deep, about the closing thing you'll get to your car sounding like the time machine in BTTF. As far as tinny, I don't think it's tinny AT ALL. I've ridden in it at highway speeds though and it's pretty quiet to be honest. It's also very affordable.

Farrar
05-03-2013, 01:26 PM
I agree, it sounds great. If I can swing it, it might be my next muffler. Does anyone here know off hand if the Flowmaster 80 mates up with the rest of DMCH's "Performance Exhaust"?

uhhair
05-03-2013, 06:04 PM
I'll get Justin to post on here about this. I know he got his really cheap, but he did all the welding himself, so I don't know how it fits, etc.

cdmc12
05-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Wow, this all sounds fantastic! If it sounds that great outside, and its not too loud in the cabin, that seems like the perfect choice.

Thanks for the help guys, and I'm really looking forward to what Justin has to say! :D

jmettee
05-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Yep, that's me. No real drone at all at highway speeds. It's noticeably louder than stock below 2000 rpm, but is quiet by 3000. Tone is deep & not tinney at all. I've heard many of the vendor mufflers & they all have a bit of a tinney/raspy sound that I don't care for.

jmettee
05-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Not the same as being in person, but this might give an idea of the interior sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgHJb-P_WEE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

mluder
05-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Yep, that's me. No real drone at all at highway speeds. It's noticeably louder than stock below 2000 rpm, but is quiet by 3000. Tone is deep & not tinney at all. I've heard many of the vendor mufflers & they all have a bit of a tinney/raspy sound that I don't care for.

That sounds great - Definitely adds a little something to a car that looks like it should come with that sound.

What exhaust headers are you using?
Is it a twin cat set up?

Cheers
Steven

jmettee
05-06-2013, 07:26 AM
That sounds great - Definitely adds a little something to a car that looks like it should come with that sound.

What exhaust headers are you using?
Is it a twin cat set up?

Cheers
Steven

Stock exhaust manifolds & I replaced the original CAT with the "modern performance" one from Hervey. So I basically replaced the existing CAT & muffler with an updated CAT & performance muffler. The oem muffler is VERY restrictive.

mluder
05-06-2013, 01:56 PM
So... Is there a specfic item or model number in the Flowmaster 80 series that fits the DeLorean?

How much customization comes off the stock headers throught the cat, etc?

Finally, can you give me a ballpark of what you paid? I'm in need of some exhaust work and was thinking of going DPI or even the performance system from DMCH but I really can't afford it right now.

Cheers
Steven

jmettee
05-06-2013, 09:33 PM
I cobbled various exhaust fittings together to make it work....also learned to weld on my own. Not the prettiest welds, but it's sufficient. I had to make my own hangers for it too. Muffler was about $120 or so, tips & other pipe sections probably another $50-$75. I did my own work, so I had no labor costs.

My setup completely replaces the muffler & modifies nothing else. I connected right into the stock CAT.

mluder
05-07-2013, 12:46 AM
I cobbled various exhaust fittings together to make it work....also learned to weld on my own. Not the prettiest welds, but it's sufficient. I had to make my own hangers for it too. Muffler was about $120 or so, tips & other pipe sections probably another $50-$75. I did my own work, so I had no labor costs.

My setup completely replaces the muffler & modifies nothing else. I connected right into the stock CAT.

Thanks for all the info...

So it sounds like something any competant muffler shop can do if they know how to fabricate new pipes and hangers. I have zero welding skills so...

Did you have a specific model number for the muffler you used?

Cheers
Steve

jmettee
05-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Sorry, forgot to post the part number. Flowmaster 42583
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh...0V8&orig=42583

mluder
05-07-2013, 06:09 PM

Thanks.

Steven

cdmc12
05-07-2013, 06:29 PM

Awesome! Thanks for all your help! This should be a really cool upgrade :)