PDA

View Full Version : Deloreans with some non-standard extra's

john 05141
05-16-2013, 03:42 AM
Every time I see something out of the ordinary on a Delorean I take pictures of it.
I tought I'd be cool to make a thread about it.
The airbag is just a joke of course.

Jan

Mark D
05-16-2013, 08:44 AM
That heads up display is prety sweet, got any more info on that?

wrkey
05-16-2013, 08:58 AM
What's the device by the headlamps?

ccurzio
05-16-2013, 09:30 AM
What's the device by the headlamps?

My best guess would be a speed gun jammer.

Ryan S.
05-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Or a Headlight Washer Nozzle?

Dangermouse
05-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Or a Headlight Washer Nozzle?

That's what it is. Very common in Europe

Andy
05-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Isn't a headup display suppose to be transparent with only the speed visible? That black 'bit' would be very irritating after a while I think ...

What's the 'airbag' originally? Some sort of car cover?

cybercusp
05-16-2013, 12:18 PM
There's a speedo app for iphone with a heads up speedometer feature. It's called "SpeedHUD". Just sit the ;iphone on the bottom lip of the binnacle with the app running so the screen reflects onto the binnacle; it reflects the digital speed readout perfectly into the binnacle's clear plastic. I used it when my angle drive was out and got hooked on it. Nothing to install other than laying your phone on the lip of the binnacle.

Domi
05-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Interesting pictures, thanks for sharing ;)

eagle-co94
05-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Look at GM products for the last 10 years or so, specifically Pontiacs and higher end cars. The systems can be removed and adapted to other cars.

Jonathan
05-16-2013, 03:41 PM
There's a speedo app for iphone with a heads up speedometer feature. It's called "SpeedHUD". Just sit the ;iphone on the bottom lip of the binnacle with the app running so the screen reflects onto the binnacle; it reflects the digital speed readout perfectly into the binnacle's clear plastic. I used it when my angle drive was out and got hooked on it. Nothing to install other than laying your phone on the lip of the binnacle.

How is the data usage on this? I currently get 500MB a month and use very little of it (normally on WiFi). I wasn't sure if GPS apps chew through data as I only have used a golf GPS app in the past and it chewed through my battery before I could use it enough to see how the data usage was. At least in the car you can plug it in to keep it charged.

cybercusp
05-16-2013, 03:44 PM
How is the data usage on this? I currently get 500MB a month and use very little of it (normally on WiFi). I wasn't sure if GPS apps chew through data as I only have used a golf GPS app in the past and it chewed through my battery before I could use it enough to see how the data usage was. At least in the car you can plug it in to keep it charged.

I have a data plan for the phone and I never went over my limit. I dont believe GPS will count towards your data usage. I agree on the battery usage, fortunately I have a data cable to my stereo that double as the charger so it was never an issue and I usually have my phone plugged in; iphone seems to be a power hog for me.

pezzonovante88
05-16-2013, 04:16 PM
What's the 'airbag' originally? Some sort of car cover?
The DMC car cover tote-bag.

elfking
05-16-2013, 05:49 PM
I'll try and get some pictures this evening but one of the previous owners attempted or did add cruise control to my D.

Looks like its out of some 80's Chevy / GMC looking at the Dana control box & lever they added on the steering column... I am planning on removing it when I have some free time! :lol:

Starglider
05-17-2013, 12:48 AM
I have a data plan for the phone and I never went over my limit. I dont believe GPS will count towards your data usage.

Correct, GPS doesn't use the mobile data connection at all and will in fact work in areas where you have no mobile signal (but can still see the GPS constellation).
GPS speedos are convenient but there's an annoying lag to the speed output, that's why I went for a conventional digital speedo.

I considered putting headlight washers on, but there's no easy way to combine it with streamlined headlight covers. :)

john 05141
05-17-2013, 03:55 AM
The head up display was installed by Deloman in Germany. the black area is not as bas ad it looks in the pictures however.
The headlight washer is indeed common there, to rinse the snow off the headlights.
The "airbag" isd the bag to house the carcover. It was brand new, and it looked like an airbag, so I tought I coud fool some people with it.

Jan

Bitsyncmaster
05-17-2013, 04:04 AM
GPS speedos are convenient but there's an annoying lag to the speed output, that's why I went for a conventional digital speedo.

Get a GPS with accelerometers and that problem goes away.

Dangermouse
05-17-2013, 08:15 AM
One of the guys in Ireland came up with this a few years ago. Much better access:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19098&d=1368792881

Kerichbe
05-17-2013, 09:00 AM

Tried this out last nite, great app! Did notice one quirk. I set my phone in the binnacle with the HUD displaying onto the tach area, the tach every minute would fluctuate wildly and then settle down. Moving the phone 2 inches to the left cured the issue. Iphone 4 antenna curse ?

dmc6960
05-17-2013, 09:45 AM
I considered putting headlight washers on, but there's no easy way to combine it with streamlined headlight covers. :)

What about tiny jets pointing sideways out towards the headlight covers inside the grill slots? May not work at a standstill but could work at speed.

elfking
05-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Cruise control!

Mark D
05-17-2013, 12:08 PM
One of the guys in Ireland came up with this a few years ago. Much better access:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19098&d=1368792881

How would you get a fuel filler way up in there to refuel?

Michael
05-17-2013, 12:21 PM
How would you get a fuel filler way up in there to refuel?

Off hand, I would say the hood is just resting in place. He probably had to take it off for some reason and thought he would just mess with people's heads. Then again, he is a DeLorean owner, so it's entirely possible he is a little quirky.

cybercusp
05-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Tried this out last nite, great app! Did notice one quirk. I set my phone in the binnacle with the HUD displaying onto the tach area, the tach every minute would fluctuate wildly and then settle down. Moving the phone 2 inches to the left cured the issue. Iphone 4 antenna curse ?

Glad you liked the app! I thought it was pretty cool too. That's weird about the tach fluctuation..I checked again and didn't see it but I have the iPhone 5. I agree it could be the antenna.