PDA

View Full Version : How to remove FRONT fascia

1batt4u
05-22-2013, 04:59 PM
So I got the rear fascia removed.

Now I have been fighting to get the front fascia off.

Removed: Radiator assembly, radiator duct, spoiler, grille, turn signals, all bottom bolts connecting to fenders and fiberglass body.

Headlights are off, except for the headlight bracket piece on both sides of car.

I'm guessing I remove the top nuts inside the bumper, but the headlight brackets are in the way to remove some nuts.

Any ideas??

1batt4u
05-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Other than the top nuts inside the bumper, any other nuts/bolts I have to remove to get bumper out?

Is there another easier way of removing fascia as a whole?

1. I started with bottom, removed all bolts on spoiler, removed spoiler.

2. Pulled front grille off.

3. Removed headlights and metal pieces.

Kenny_Z
05-22-2013, 06:50 PM
There are phillips head screws that you may have to remove the hood to access. I used a 1/4 wrench, a little electrical tape, and a phillips bit to make a tool to unscrew them. However, mine were not rusted so they came out easily. If yours are rusted then you may have to remove the hood to keep from damaging the screw heads.

From that point there are 2 bolts that are on either side of the fascia even with the bumper. They go into the fender. This means you will have to pull the fascia out (away from the car) to get the bolts to clear the fender. I used an angled pick to pull the fascia. I switched to a very small prybar to spread the force on the fascia. I didn't want the pick to tear the it. Very important, do not pry against the stainless. You want to gently pull out the fascia.

You can see what the inside of the fascia looks like here:
http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/Projects/fascia21.jpg

1batt4u
05-22-2013, 11:16 PM
I removed 98% bolts/nuts! All I have is the 2 nuts to removed from both sides of fascia.

The ones on top of headlight brackets, any ideas??

Kenny_Z
05-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Ah, I remember those now. I know I removed mine without removing the headlight brackets. I can not remember how though...I want to say I used a couple of box end wrenches.

BABIS
05-23-2013, 09:16 AM
is it possible to remove the headlight brackets without removing the front fascia?

1batt4u
05-23-2013, 11:28 AM
is it possible to remove the headlight brackets without removing the front fascia?

No. From what I see, they are fastened in 3 places: 2 nuts on the sides, which I took those off, and one screw on top, which the fascia has to be removed, because the screw starts from the fiberglass on top and goes down into the headlight bracket holding it in place.

DMCMW Dave
05-23-2013, 12:08 PM

Yes the screw on top is accessible thru a hole in the fascia reinforcement

1batt4u
05-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Yes the screw on top is accessible thru a hole in the fascia reinforcement

Ok checked up on it. I thought all those screws were just for the fascia reinforcement.

How in the world do you remove those 2 screws?? Nothing fits in there, tight space.

1batt4u
05-23-2013, 05:09 PM
So I tried everything possible, don't know how to remove those 2 screws to remove headlight brackets.

Any ideas as those 2 screws are holding me back all day from removing front fascia.

Thank You!

Kenny_Z
05-23-2013, 05:49 PM
As soon as I get off work I'll go out to the car to take a look to see if I can figure out where you're stuck. I'm a little lost.

In the meanwhile, have you read this? http://delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com/2013/03/removing-and-reconditioning-front-and.html

1batt4u
05-23-2013, 08:48 PM
As soon as I get off work I'll go out to the car to take a look to see if I can figure out where you're stuck. I'm a little lost.

In the meanwhile, have you read this? http://delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com/2013/03/removing-and-reconditioning-front-and.html

That was actually helpful!!

I will give it a try tomorrow!!

Thank you!!! 8)

Kenny_Z
05-23-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm glad that link worked. I got distracted when I went out to look at the car. I found a week old kitten stuck in my parts van. I had to free him, clean him up, and then find his mother. Thankfully I found her and she happily took the little one back.

1batt4u
05-23-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm glad that link worked. I got distracted when I went out to look at the car. I found a week old kitten stuck in my parts van. I had to free him, clean him up, and then find his mother. Thankfully I found her and she happily took the little one back.

Cool! We got a few cats around neighborhood, but damn raccoons keep chasing them. I can here them at nights fighting.

1batt4u
05-30-2013, 12:01 PM
So, yesterday finally removed bumper, by removing hood first, was very easy. Had my brother help me hold and lift hood. Hood is very light!! I remember we lifted my old Trans Am hood, was so heavy.

captainneo
03-08-2021, 07:05 PM
sorry to bring up an old thread. But i'm trying to get my front end off. I have the bottom spoiler off. I have the top trunk screws out. I have the bottom 2 side studs pulled out, but I cannot separate the top of the facia far enough away from the quarterpanel to get in there. is there a trick to this? it will not budge. I cannot even get a flat head screw driver in between, it's so tight. Plus my corner cracked a bit when I pulled the bottom stud out on one side. :/

captainneo
03-08-2021, 07:13 PM
Heres pics on where im stuck. And the crack that formed on me.

captainneo
03-08-2021, 07:45 PM
seems like something is holding the top corners in. but all the screws i'm able to see, seem to just be for the fender, but not attached to the fascia.

MrChocky
03-11-2021, 09:56 AM
seems like something is holding the top corners in. but all the screws i'm able to see, seem to just be for the fender, but not attached to the fascia.

Having just done this myself, I'm somewhat stumped. Unfortunately the pictures on line about how to do it have expired or the instructions aren't clear.

There's two things though - the fender-most screws in the top visible in the trunk (of the 7 total), but these are obvious and I imagine you have these.
Otherwise, is the inside edge caught up on the buckets/brackets/bezels of the outer headlights? You might want to remove these first and maybe you can
see - I know they are a PITA to get out with the fascia on.

That said, the effort of removing everything, replacing hardware, repairs, paint was huge, but I'm really glad I did it.