PDA

View Full Version : Members List

Dangermouse
07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Are you planning to increase the "searchability" of the members list?

One used to be able to sort the list by VIN, posts, join date, most recent activity, etc. I would also like to be able to sort by location (State/Country anyway)

Mike C.
07-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Since things such as locations, vin#'s, interests, etc... are user entry fields, you can not sort by them because people can pretty much enter anything they want. (Ex... for VIN, they can write "purple pandas" instead of a number)

You are able to search by things such as names, post counts, join dates, and last time visited.

I turned on a couple more selections. I know the spacing on the column is slightly off.

GS450-Junkie
07-08-2011, 09:47 PM
So, I'm sure there are some familiar users from the old forum who don't even realize that the new one is up and running..... anyone care to chime in who ?? How do we get ahold of them ?

Dangermouse
07-08-2011, 10:37 PM
If you google 'DMCTalk' it now brings up DMCTalk.org, so I presume those missing will work it out.

Haven't seen MauiBarber, joeyGowdy, conundrum, mark v, dmcvegas, to name a few from memory

Mike C.
07-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Conundrum is on here, just not posting much.

mark V. hasn't posted much in the past couple of years because he's into the Vettes now.

Dangermouse
07-13-2011, 02:27 PM
can you squeeze the VIN on there somewhere, even if it isn't sortable?

Mike C.
07-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I had to turn it off because for the reason listed above, all the extra characters besides the 5 vin numbers stretch the columns waaay too much. If you look at some people's fields, they have multiple cars listed, and some people have descriptions they have typed in there, making the fields multiple sizes.

Dangermouse
07-13-2011, 04:51 PM
I had to turn it off because for the reason listed above, all the extra characters besides the 5 vin numbers stretch the columns waaay too much. If you look at some people's fields, they have multiple cars listed, and some people have descriptions they have typed in there, making the fields multiple sizes.

gotcha.

How was it done on the old forum?

Mike C.
07-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Unfortunately none of us did the setup on the old forum.

DMCVegas
10-17-2011, 01:51 PM
If you google 'DMCTalk' it now brings up DMCTalk.org, so I presume those missing will work it out.

Haven't seen MauiBarber, joeyGowdy, conundrum, mark v, dmcvegas, to name a few from memory

Well now since I was searching for some Open House Pics and then on a whim decided to see if my name has popped up, I found this thread. So I decided to register in order to respond.:doorpeek:

The truth is that up until right now, I hadn't even bothered to register on the new DMCTalk because I didn't want to be apart of this particular DeLorean community. When it comes to automotive boards online, since participating on DMCNews since back in '96 there was always a type of etiquette that was present where if someone was having a problem you helped them by finding out what the issue was. Especially when it came to members who were having such a frustrating time that they became angry. Since that time that same etiquette has appears on numerous other message boards and the like that I've either directly participated in or just lurked around where I read old threads that answered my questions. From my regular American Fords & Chevys, to what you'd think would be snobbish Jaguar owners, I found people who were like how DeLorean owners used to be. Or at least how the people on DMCTalk are NOT.

Now I don't know if DMCTalk has suddenly changed for the better. I did see a new notice stating that Religious and Political Threads are not allowed, that's nice. But the fun is just gone. I'm not seeking a way to be a source for info, but I do know what it's like to be in the dark about things due to an absence of knowledge so I've always tried to help others. That to me has always been rewarding to help out people like I myself received help. Political opinions, personal preferences, etc., I don't care about. What I always did pursue however was bad information, and fought that with a passion. Of course other trolls would then follow suit and jump into what quickly became a melee whose only goal was to win an argument at any cost. When something becomes more of a burden, when the fun is gone out of it, what's the point anymore?

Since DMCTalk.com went away, I've since moved 1,800 miles, the wife and I are still adjusting, and I'm honestly a bit of a recluse. Couple that with the rotten taste that DMCTalk left in my mouth and I'm just really not willing to participate here again. Right now I like DMCHelp since with technical questions it's just business. I'll get factual data for factual questions. I and the other sporadic posters don't get bullied and browbeaten about the questions that are asked. A question about a poorly running engine doesn't get it's answer obfuscated with trolls about K-Jetronic, A/C questions don't get slammed with anti-reliability tirades, and someone who needs help with a radio doesn't suddenly get lectured about keeping the car stock. It just stays simple because the trolls get properly filtered out.

Maybe my position will change in the future, I don't know. I'd have to lurk moar around here to see if the hostility has finally gone.

Anyhow, I do hope that everyone here does have a pleasant, fun experience. That's what it's all about.

:blackeye:

sean
10-17-2011, 02:07 PM
If you find you cant stomach us anymore let me know and I'll remove your account so you are not tempted in the future. I hope you find some enjoyment here but from the sounds of it you are so bitter from whatever happened in the past that it may not be possible. I am glad to have you back but if this is your perspective on things perhaps you shouldn't be back, maybe it's to soon. If you feel attacked, publicly or PM'd, let me Mike or Tamir know.

Maybe my position will change in the future, I don't know. I'd have to lurk moar around here to see if the hostility has finally gone.

Anyhow, I do hope that everyone here does have a pleasant, fun experience. That's what it's all about.

:blackeye:

DMCVegas
10-17-2011, 04:06 PM
If you find you cant stomach us anymore let me know and I'll remove your account so you are not tempted in the future. I hope you find some enjoyment here but from the sounds of it you are so bitter from whatever happened in the past that it may not be possible. I am glad to have you back but if this is your perspective on things perhaps you shouldn't be back, maybe it's to soon. If you feel attacked, publicly or PM'd, let me Mike or Tamir know.

Well, perhaps you are right. Maybe it is too soon. I can say however that strolling through quite a few threads here that I've noticed the tone of the conversations has done almost a complete 360ยบ. I'll go ahead and give things a shot though. I'm not here to start a fight, let alone tattle on anyone simply because they have a different opinion. Thank you for the welcome, I do appreciate that. It is good to be back.

Dangermouse
10-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Not to start a DMCVegas fan club, or anything, but I always appreciated your posts in the past. Welcome back.

DMCVegas
10-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Thank you, I honestly do appreciate it. Likewise it has felt good to be back and start talking with everyone again. Especially after moving 1,800 miles and trying to settle in. But that's a whole other story.

Thanks, man.

TTait
10-19-2011, 02:43 AM
Its 1000% better without the political posts. Granted you didn't have to go there, but sometimes running across someones post would inadvertently change the way you saw them, kind of like walking in on your grandparents having sex.

DMCHELP is a nice board, but not too helpful if you want info on a Hervey part, etc.

Hope you find a place here that makes you happy. If you are here looking for info and don't find it, go ahead and start a thread - hopefully you will be happily surprised.

Tom