PDA

View Full Version : General Speedo Angle Drive and plastic hub issue

fnzen
05-24-2011, 11:28 PM
I know this has been discussed before but need help

I have a new plastic hub but the inner cable of the angle drive is actually worn round so it doesnt catch the square in the hub

I have tried jamming some tape into the square but that still doesnt make it hold. I guess I could glue it BUT ...

Can I just replace the cable in the angle drive?

Chris 16409
05-25-2011, 03:26 AM
I have a new plastic hub but the inner cable of the angle drive is actually worn round so it doesnt catch the square in the hub

I've never heard of that happening, but the tip of my old angle drive shaft actually broke off! The dust cap is supposed to be the first component to fail to prevent damage to the other speedometer drive parts.

Can I just replace the cable in the angle drive?

Not usually unfortunately. Harvey claims that his new angle drive has this ability. You may need a new angle drive.

stevedmc
05-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Harvey claims that his new angle drive has this ability. You may need a new angle drive.

Hervey's new angle drive does have this ability. When I compared my old DMCH part to his I noticed that the metal shaft on his was also longer than the DMCH one. My whole problem with the houston part was the shaft wasn't making a connection in the cap. The longer shaft corrected this for me.

fnzen
05-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks Ill get Harveys

DeLorean03
05-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Before shelling out any money, I would do one thing. Get a drill with no drill bit and place it on the angle drive cable. Tighten the end of the drill down so it grabs onto the angle drive cable. Have someone watch the speedometer - or place mirrors to where you can see the speedometer - and start the drill (counterclockwise). The speedometer needle should move. If it does, bad dust cap. If it doesn't, something else has gone awry - at that point - probably your angle drive.

I would do that just to be safe so you know without a shadow of a doubt that it is just a worn angle drive cable.

stevedmc
05-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Before shelling out any money, I would do one thing. Get a drill with no drill bit and place it on the angle drive cable.

This is basically what I did with my old houston unit. I was perplexed because I turned the cable/shaft by hand and the speedometer moved. So i figured my angle drive was good. I put the dust cap back on and the speedometer would work for a few minutes before loosing its function again. I was once again perplexed because the dust cap didn't appear to be stripped and I even wrapped electrical tape around the cap to make sure it was tight.

I ordered a new angle drive from Hervey even though I knew my houston one was turning when I inpected it by hand. Without two in my possesion at once I would have never noticed the DMCH unit was too short. The short cable just wasn't able to stay seated in the dust cap.

DeLorean03
05-25-2011, 04:28 PM
And as a side note:

When I got my DeLorean, my dust cap slid right in and out of the wheel hub, and it worked with no problem. When I had to finally order a new one this year, I thought something was wrong with my new one. I could get about 3/4 of the cap in, and then the rest kinda "hung out" and wouldn't fit in the wheel hub. I thought for sure I had gotten a bad one. IN FACT, this is the way it is meant to go on the car.

What I did was put the cap on by hand until it "hung", and then I took a flat-headed screwdriver and gently pushed the hanging edge into the wheel hub. As I did this, the dust cap "popped" right into place. As a kind word of advice, I would keep a flat head screwdriver in your trunk just in case you have to get the angle drive back out.

ssdelorean
05-25-2011, 09:17 PM
I just love angle drives :angry:

:)