PDA

View Full Version : Bob Brandy's Delorean spotted in Illnois at a cruise in.

Chris Burns
05-29-2013, 04:41 PM
This is Rover V8 powered DMC with the custom windows. I got these off of flickr.com.

Domi
05-29-2013, 04:44 PM
I think this one was into an old delorean world magazine, but I don't remember if it has all the bttf things?

Farrar
05-29-2013, 04:47 PM
"Mr. Fussion"?

:huh:

dvonk
05-29-2013, 05:07 PM
"Mr. Fussion"?

of course, it goes with the Flux "Capacitator."

DeLorean00
05-29-2013, 05:11 PM
What is going on with the stainless? In the first photo the hood looks really shiny almost like its clear coated or something.

thirdmanj
05-29-2013, 05:31 PM
"Mr. Fussion"?

:huh:

Yeah. How does that happen? :headscratch: you think they'd check something like that.

DMCMW Dave
05-29-2013, 05:59 PM
What is going on with the stainless? In the first photo the hood looks really shiny almost like its clear coated or something.

The car is actually clear-coat painted. Bob did it because I liked the effect.

Yeah. How does that happen? :headscratch: you think they'd check something like that.

He spelled "Mr Fusion" wrong on purpose as, at the time, he was worried about someone complaining about trademarks regarding the movie. This car is probably one of the very first reproduction BTTF cars, I believe it was built in the early 1990s.

StainlessBullet
05-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Anyone else notice the door windows? I wonder if they roll down or pop off?

DMCMW Dave
05-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Anyone else notice the door windows? I wonder if they roll down or pop off?

They roll down. Polycarbonate, but they go fully down.

Rich W
05-29-2013, 06:42 PM
He spelled "Mr Fusion" wrong on purpose as, at the time, he was worried about someone complaining about trademarks regarding the movie. This car is probably one of the very first reproduction BTTF cars, I believe it was built in the early 1990s.

Bob has referred to his car (in the past and maybe still does) as the 1997 DeLorean Time Machine (TM).

Bob has a custom made TMO plate on both sides of the car, near the doors (TMO=Time Machine Option).

Bob's "full-size" DeLorean side windows are Plexi-Glass and they are Power Windows.

DMC5180
05-29-2013, 06:48 PM
He did the mod in the mid 90's. The center section is fully operational up and down all the way into the door. He recently stated that he was working on a kit option. This is something he had wanted to do early on but never got around to it. The window material is plexiglas in order to make the curvature in the channels.

Farrar
05-29-2013, 08:44 PM
He spelled "Mr Fusion" wrong on purpose as, at the time, he was worried about someone complaining about trademarks regarding the movie.

Ah, that explains why he didn't use the logo, either. Thanks!

thirdmanj
05-29-2013, 08:45 PM

Well thank goodness.

Nicholas R
05-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Anyone know which rover v8 it has? Is it the 4.6L? Also what transmission is it? A unique aftermarket automatic.

Chris Burns
05-30-2013, 12:55 AM
I believe it's the 4.6 liter. The transmission is a Porsche triptronic automatic.

Dangermouse
05-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Just dug out the old DeLoreanWorld mag where he has a three-issue article on his BTTF car build (along with the DOA disclaimer and recommendation that owners don't do this type of mod to their own car :) )

He is vague on the actual V8 used, but personally I would have expected it to be the 3.9/4.0 as it would have been much more plentiful in the US at the time. Per wiki, the 4.6 was only developed in 1995, so it is certainly possible, as Chris suggests. The article claims 260+HP, a figure that doesn't match up with any engine size.

The same article references a ZF 4+OD box, tiptronic, as Chris says, I would assume from a Porsche.

Nicholas R
05-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Just dug out the old DeLoreanWorld mag where he has a three-issue article on his BTTF car build (along with the DOA disclaimer and recommendation that owners don't do this type of mod to their own car :) )

He is vague on the actual V8 used, but personally I would have expected it to be the 3.9/4.0 as it would have been much more plentiful in the US at the time. Per wiki, the 4.6 was only developed in 1995, so it is certainly possible, as Chris suggests. The article claims 260+HP, a figure that doesn't match up with any engine size.

The same article references a ZF 4+OD box, tiptronic, as Chris says, I would assume from a Porsche.

The 3.9 was my first thought due to its abundance. Chris where did you hear that it was a 4.6? Is Bobs carbureted or fuel injection? Chris can you dig up some engine photos on it?

Also that's a cool transmission swap.

Chris Burns
05-30-2013, 03:11 PM
The 3.9 was my first thought due to its abundance. Chris where did you hear that it was a 4.6? Is Bobs carbureted or fuel injection? Chris can you dig up some engine photos on it?

Nick, here is an older article from DMC news that was written on the car when it was first built. It's a carbed 215 cubic inch V8. The article is on page 6.

http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/img/news/news20.pdf

Rich W
05-30-2013, 03:22 PM

Bob used the aluminum block Rover 215 V8 (same as the Buick 215 V8 of the 1960's and 1970's).

Almost every other car that Bob owns has a carb on the engine, so this one has a carb on it too. (American carb?)

The transmission is an early Porsche Tiptronic and it has always been "manually shifted" (no shift computer installed).

Note: The Rover 215 V8 was selected since it weighs about 55 lbs. less than the PRV (Rover 215 V8 = 320 lbs. vs. PRV = 375 lbs.)

Dangermouse
05-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Nick, here is an older article from DMC news that was written on the car when it was first built. It's a carbed 215 cubic inch V8. The article is on page 6.

http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/img/news/news20.pdf

That's the same article from DW :)

I guess it would depend on where Bob sourced his engine from.

The Rover V8 started life as the Buick V8 215 ci which is about 3.5L. Over the years it grew to 3.9L and then 4.6L fuel injected..

1997 Land Rovers had either the 4.0L or the 4.6L, so it would depend on where Bob sourced his from. If he sourced it as a carbed one, then it would obviously be the 3.5L. It's possible that he got a 3.9L and did a carb conversion.

However, in the absence of any other non-speculation I would go along with Rich ;)

Bob635
05-30-2013, 07:39 PM
The 97 Delorean Time Machine has full-size power window. I designed and build these back in the mid 90s and did an article for DW. John DeLorean called me about this design and how I did it. We had a very good conversation and he came to Cleveland to try them out. We have a video of him playing with the windows.

THE GOOD NEWS IS THE DELOREAN FULL SIZE WINDOW PROJECT IS BACK IN PROGRESS.!!!!!

I have retired this year and now have some time to get this project up and running. ;)

WE WILL HAVE A FULL SIZE DELOREAN DOOR AND WORKING FULL SIZE WINDOW AT THE "DELOREAN WEEKEND" HERE IN LAS VEGAS OCT. 3,4 AND 5. Come to Las Vegas and try this out and see the
inner working in the door.

see www.deloreanweekend.com for more information. !!!!!

In the works are 6 driver side kits. 2 are already committed for.

Shep
05-30-2013, 09:08 PM
We have a video of him playing with the windows.Any chance you can put it up on YouTube? I'd love to see that :)

Dangermouse
05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Hi Bob

We'd love to hear more about the engine size/type if you have a chance.

Bob635
05-31-2013, 10:22 AM
We have already shot some video on how to install these windows. We are working on the assembly parts right now.

We should have something up soon. I will post a link.

Bob

Bob635
05-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Hi Bob

We'd love to hear more about the engine size/type if you have a chance.

The 97 DeLorean Time Machine has an aluminum rover V8 with an Edelbrock intake manifold and larger Buick heads. It is 11:1 compression ratio. Thermoquad carb.

It has ceramic coated headers with a cross over pipe and dual exhausts. The engine and exhaust sound awesome. The front end jumps up when you nail it!

The power goes through a 4 speed ZF electronic transmission from a Porsche. HP22 E ZF 4.

Chris Burns
06-04-2013, 12:31 AM
More of the 97 Delorean Time Machine from Flickr.com

Andy
06-04-2013, 03:12 AM
Those aren't the standard headlamps, are they?

DMCMW Dave
06-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Those aren't the standard headlamps, are they?

Camaro

Patrick C
06-04-2013, 04:53 PM
we have already shot some video on how to install these windows. We are working on the assembly parts right now.

We should have something up soon. I will post a link.

Bob

Awesome!!!

Bob635
07-12-2013, 04:45 PM
On the 97 DeLorean Time Machine, we used GM 92-96 van headlights and their buckets. These headlights were slightly smaller than the stock Delorean which made maintenance much easier. You can alter the stock headlight buckets to accept these using a small round spacer glued on each back side of the headlight.
We then made a surrounding aluminum trim piece from aluminum sheet from the hardware store.

On the 2015 Electric DeLorean. we used late model (4th Generation camaro/Firebird) which were even smaller and lighter.

Bob635
07-12-2013, 04:47 PM
We have begun building the website with the information on these windows. It should be up by next week. It will be under the www.timemachineoption.com website.

Bob

Chris Burns
10-23-2013, 08:44 PM
This video of Brandy's Delorean from 1997 was recently posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I7YYiWtJMY

ALEXAKOS
10-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Oh boy....
And I thought the worst BTTF replica version I had seen was an audi 80 coupe!!!:nervous:
Didn't they watch the BTTF movies (carefully) to see what goes where and what it LOOKS like?
Feels as if hey did it out of memory.

Nice video find though.

Domi
10-24-2013, 04:23 PM
I remember that one in an old issue of DW magazine.
I wonder if the owner still own his car?

Chris Burns
10-24-2013, 04:55 PM
He does for sure and hasn't changed it much since then.

Chris Burns
01-14-2014, 11:18 AM
From a BTTF reunion in 2010.

ALEXAKOS
01-14-2014, 03:06 PM
Great pictures but awful site:( such an ugly delorean mod and a poor bttf replica!! Sorry for being so chisel hard on judging this.... I can't believe this vehicle has been vandalized that much.

Rich W
01-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Great pictures but awful site:( such an ugly delorean mod and a poor bttf replica!! Sorry for being so chisel hard on judging this.... I can't believe this vehicle has been vandalized that much.

Just to state a few points of reference...

Bob was one of the first to build his own "fan-version" of the Time Machine, back in the mid-1990's (initially completed in 1997).

Bob started with a Salvage DeLorean, unlike many of the more recent Time Machine builds that start with a good running donor.

Bob built a custom V8 DeLorean with TMO (Time Machine Option), with full-size side windows, and never meant to be screen accurate.

OverlandMan
01-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Just to state a few points of reference...

Bob was one of the first to build his own "fan-version" of the Time Machine, back in the mid-1990's (initially completed in 1997).

Bob started with a Salvage DeLorean, unlike many of the more recent Time Machine builds that start with a good running donor.

Bob built a custom V8 DeLorean with TMO (Time Machine Option), with full-size side windows, and never meant to be screen accurate.

If you consider that this is likely the first home-made time machine AND was never intended to be screen accurate AND consider he started with a salvage car AND he put his own tastes and twists into the build... I think he did a good job.

When he built this, videobob was probably pooping his diapers.

thirdmanj
01-14-2014, 09:46 PM
When he built this, videobob was probably pooping his diapers.

By some accounts, he's still doing this.

Totally 80s
01-14-2014, 11:43 PM
Why is Fusion spelled wrong on the Mr. Fusion?

Chris Burns
01-14-2014, 11:59 PM
He was afraid of copyright issues when he built the car in 1997.

OverlandMan
01-15-2014, 09:43 AM

:histerical1:

Totally 80s
01-15-2014, 11:10 AM
He was afraid of copyright issues when he built the car in 1997.

Afraid of what? That Universal would see his coffee grinder that said Mr. Fusion on it and sue him for money? What damages? What income was he making of this coffee grinder? And they would specifically sue him for the Mr. Fusion and not the entire car (which would be the real trademark infringement). It costs literally tens of thousands of dollars to sue someone for something like this. I think Universal has better things to do. I'm still confused.

One more question, is Mr. Fusion still misspelled on his car in 2014?

thirdmanj
01-15-2014, 12:44 PM

I'm sorry, that was low, and untrue. He's graduated from diapers and has moved up to DeLoreans.

ALEXAKOS
01-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Hey! That was my line!!!!:smashfreak:

Well, I understand Bob, is the dinosaur of home made BTTF replicas.
Where I am standing is that this replica was not done 20 years back and left to rot. It is being used over and over a shows and events. A little upgrade and improvement would not hurt. Hell, ALL of us in here with the Love for Deloreans have to change a screw or two to make it look as close to original as possible.
In the mean time there is loads of trivia on line on what screen accurate looks like and is made of. Bob could have tweaked a few wrong turns.

But then again that is just my opinion...:sad30:

Kane
01-15-2014, 02:50 PM
I think keeping it in its original form preserves it as an artifact of being the first fan conversion. This way everyone can see how it was done originally and appreciate the history.

However, anything outside of that context is just a bad representation of conversions.

videobob
01-17-2014, 02:55 AM

Actually I was with my first wife and engineer for a television network, but yes, I was pooping,

thirdmanj
01-17-2014, 06:01 AM
Actually I was with my first wife and engineer for a television network, but yes, I was pooping,

That is SO fucking cool.

dmcjohn
01-17-2014, 08:07 AM
I think keeping it in its original form preserves it as an artifact of being the first fan conversion. This way everyone can see how it was done originally and appreciate the history.

However, anything outside of that context is just a bad representation of conversions.

This wasn't the first fan conversion. There was a guy who converted his to a BTTF replica right around the time the first movie came out in 1985 - I remember seeing pics of this car on dmctalk before - maybe it was back in the dmctalk.com days.

Dangermouse
01-17-2014, 08:29 AM
This wasn't the first fan conversion. There was a guy who converted his to a BTTF replica right around the time the first movie came out in 1985 - I remember seeing pics of this car on dmctalk before - maybe it was back in the dmctalk.com days.

I believe that was a guy called Joe Pace.

videobob
01-19-2014, 09:41 PM
I believe that was a guy called Joe Pace.

Yes, Joe Pace in Kansas City I believe, he has a body shop.
He had contacted me about getting some parts to fix up his car.
I think there might be an article about him in an early DELOREAN WORLD article.
Some of the other notable first builders besides Bob Brandys in 1997 is a guy name Doug Vaters in 1998.
If there are others I don't know about them yet.

SS Spoiler
01-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Iv'e still got a business card From DOA '91 in Vegas with his car on it. DeLorean one had Joes car
do a "Doc Brown" exit out of their trailer as part of the show.

Chris Burns
03-02-2015, 07:30 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ponyrojo/16069028434/sizes/l

Rich W
03-02-2015, 05:14 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ponyrojo/16069028434/sizes/l

FYI, just to clarify, since the title of this thread mentions Illinois, Bob and Gail Brandys have recently confirmed
their DeLorean Time Machine will be staying in Vegas all year this year for 2015, instead of making the trek back
to Illinois for the Summer. So if you want to see the new revisions in person, you will need to head out to Vegas
this year (and maybe California later in the year, for the We're Going Back event).

aotmfilms
09-08-2015, 04:30 PM
They roll down. Polycarbonate, but they go fully down.

Do any of the vendors redo the windows like that? Just curious.