PDA

View Full Version : How To: Replace Delorean window drop glass

Chris Burns
05-29-2013, 11:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQy6sNQWdxY&feature=youtu.be

dvonk
05-30-2013, 12:50 AM
haha, i just watched the entire thing with interest before i realized that 20 minutes had passed.

good job, Josh. :smile:

DeloreanJoshQ
05-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Part two is now live if you would like to see the rest of the video, it is only 13+ minutes and shows how to replace the lock solenoid, tour of door components, and how to put the door components back together.

http://youtu.be/1SPoJrs35qw

gongloo
05-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks for posting this! I'll be attacking my windows soon -- the passenger side seems to be falling off its track and the driver's side doesn't go up or down at all.

What'd be really useful is to have all of the components out of the car and in a video clearly showing all three attachment points. Hopefully it'll become much clearer to me as I get in there.

Domi
05-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks for sharing these great videos :thumbup:

DeloreanJoshQ
05-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Thanks for posting this! I'll be attacking my windows soon -- the passenger side seems to be falling off its track and the driver's side doesn't go up or down at all.

What'd be really useful is to have all of the components out of the car and in a video clearly showing all three attachment points. Hopefully it'll become much clearer to me as I get in there.

See #5 below in the diagram, there are two vertical nuts you loosen on each guide. Directly above them you see two attachment points to the diagonal tracks. One is a rivet that pivots (at the highest point), the other is another nut that you loosen to allow adjustment. Once you look inside the door you will see how it all attaches....

http://store.delorean.com/images/Category/large/3-6-5.gif

Nick774
06-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Pretty Interesting, Would be helpful when I get to the doors. Going on 4 months waiting for my Soft Lifts from the H-man...yup justa waitin' for the mail... Any Day Meow.

6:03-6:06 Ha :bigclap:

Roman Legion
06-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Interesting video.

gongloo
06-01-2013, 03:09 PM
See #5 below in the diagram, there are two vertical nuts you loosen on each guide. Directly above them you see two attachment points to the diagonal tracks. One is a rivet that pivots (at the highest point), the other is another nut that you loosen to allow adjustment. Once you look inside the door you will see how it all attaches....

Thanks! I got in there yesterday and found the issue. The felt strip on the inside of the window had come unglued and fell mostly into the door, allowing space for the passenger window to wiggle out of the front runner, which happened when the door was once closed with the window halfway down -- slamming the door shut must have been enough force to get the plastic guide to jump off the runner. I was able to remove the window, clean it off, create a new 'felt' using a roll of adhesive velcro (and some double-sided tape for padding) and get it all back together without having to muck with the guides or alignment or anything. It was a bit difficult to finagle the window in/out but nothing too harsh.

While I was in there I replaced the soft strips protecting the outside of the window from stainless door, as those were coming off. Gross part: they were wet. I can't imagine how much mold and whatnot was growing in there, and I'm glad they're black so I'll never really know.

My passenger window now goes up and down properly, and the new 'felt' that I made looks fantastic. If I ever get back in there I'll take pictures/video to show how I made the 'felt', assuming it holds up well.

The best part: no cuts! I consider myself lucky.