PDA

View Full Version : General Matching RWL Tires In Original Sizes

NightFlyer
06-01-2013, 02:09 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new set of tires for my D so that I can finally stop driving on the original Goodyear NCTs (in the hopes of preserving them indefinitely into the future), which currently have approximately 16,000 miles on them.

Anyway, I'm looking at picking up a set of the Mastercraft Avenger G/T RWL tires in the original sizes. They are made by Cooper and appear to be exactly the same as their Cooper Cobras, albeit with a different brand name on them.

Front:
Part # 39704
Sidewall RWL
Size P195/60R14
Warranty 50000
Speed Rating T

Rear:
Part # 39712
Sidewall RWL
Size P235/60R15
Warranty 50000
Speed Rating T

http://tirebrokers.info/avenger-g-t-tires-fort-wayne-in

Anyone here currently running these tires or the Cooper Cobras, and if so, what do you think about them.

I'll probably pick up a set within the next couple weeks.

Jacko
06-01-2013, 06:54 AM
I have a set of Mastercraft Avengers on 4915 and had about 6000 miles on them before I shipped her to DPI a year ago. I had no issues with them during that short period of time. I know I turned the RWLs in on the rears but honestly don't remember if the fronts had RWLs ... hell, I don't remember what 4915 looks like! I paid about $650 for the set.8)

Michael
06-01-2013, 08:01 AM
My Cobras do fine but the thing with my car is with the Eibach suspension and the louder interior noise from the stage II, any ride quality and road noise issues these tires may or may not have is lost. I will put it this way, I could tell no difference between the Michelin Pilots and the Coopers in my car...but I know there is one.

The fact that you found a set of matching tires alone is hard enough, but in RWL too? I'm tempted to buy a set and just hang on to them.
Mine have around 6-7k on them now and they are wearing nicely, with no stepping out etc. although I realize this has more to do with alignment settings and driving style than tire quality. I can't comment on wet weather, but I'm not afraid to get "spirited" in the curves and I've never had a complaint.

Again original matching tires are very very hard to find...in fact if your quest was like mine, they were easy to find, but when I went to order they were out of stock. So if you really can get these, and original size is important, jump on them. I'm not a RWL fan myself, I think it detract from the "class" of the car, but there is always the option of turning them inside out.

uhhair
06-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Definitely follow up when you get them and let us know if they both have RWL. As far as I thought, there was no matching brand left that had them?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new set of tires for my D so that I can finally stop driving on the original Goodyear NCTs (in the hopes of preserving them indefinitely into the future), which currently have approximately 16,000 miles on them.

Anyway, I'm looking at picking up a set of the Mastercraft Avenger G/T RWL tires in the original sizes. They are made by Cooper and appear to be exactly the same as their Cooper Cobras, albeit with a different brand name on them.

Front:
Part # 39704
Sidewall RWL
Size P195/60R14
Warranty 50000
Speed Rating T

Rear:
Part # 39712
Sidewall RWL
Size P235/60R15
Warranty 50000
Speed Rating T

http://tirebrokers.info/avenger-g-t-tires-fort-wayne-in

Anyone here currently running these tires or the Cooper Cobras, and if so, what do you think about them.

I'll probably pick up a set within the next couple weeks.

NightFlyer
06-01-2013, 02:10 PM
I have a set of Mastercraft Avengers on 4915 and had about 6000 miles on them before I shipped her to DPI a year ago. I had no issues with them during that short period of time. I know I turned the RWLs in on the rears but honestly don't remember if the fronts had RWLs ... hell, I don't remember what 4915 looks like! I paid about $650 for the set.8)

A year at DPI :shock:

What exactly are you having Josh do to your car?

NightFlyer
06-01-2013, 02:19 PM
My Cobras do fine but the thing with my car is with the Eibach suspension and the louder interior noise from the stage II, any ride quality and road noise issues these tires may or may not have is lost. I will put it this way, I could tell no difference between the Michelin Pilots and the Coopers in my car...but I know there is one.

The fact that you found a set of matching tires alone is hard enough, but in RWL too? I'm tempted to buy a set and just hang on to them.
Mine have around 6-7k on them now and they are wearing nicely, with no stepping out etc. although I realize this has more to do with alignment settings and driving style than tire quality. I can't comment on wet weather, but I'm not afraid to get "spirited" in the curves and I've never had a complaint.

Again original matching tires are very very hard to find...in fact if your quest was like mine, they were easy to find, but when I went to order they were out of stock. So if you really can get these, and original size is important, jump on them. I'm not a RWL fan myself, I think it detract from the "class" of the car, but there is always the option of turning them inside out.

Thanks for the info on your Coopers! Appreciate it.

While it looks like the rears are only available in RWL, the fronts are apparently offered in both RWL and BW fashions:

Front:
Part # 39721
Sidewall BW
Size P195/60R14
Warranty 50000
Speed Rating T

After looking around further, I'm afraid that you may be correct about the 'out of stock' nature of some of these tires. I'll contact the place in Fort Wayne, IN, on Monday, see what I can find out, and update this thread accordingly.

BTW - Best of luck with trading your Volvo for a D! :biggrin:

NightFlyer
06-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Definitely follow up when you get them and let us know if they both have RWL. As far as I thought, there was no matching brand left that had them?

Will do!

Michael
06-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Will do!

Yes if they have them I will get a set. Might be 3-4 years before I need them, and by then the hover conversion will be available, so I may be wasting my money.

DMC5180
06-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Yes if they have them I will get a set. Might be 3-4 years before I need them, and by then the hover conversion will be available, so I may be wasting my money.

No need for tires, Your Hover conversion is available today. http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=616

Jacko
06-01-2013, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=NightFlyer;105805]A year at DPI :shock:I originally sent 4915 to DPI to have the clutch throw out bearing (and the clutch) replaced. Josh went over her with a fine tooth comb and presented me an estimate of nine pages (single spaced) with a VERY big number at the bottom. So I turned her over to him for refurbishment which included a galvanized frame, spec II engine, ceramic coated headers, new transaxle, complete engine cooling system (fans, hoses, powdercoated pipes), everything new or refurbished in the suspension (all powder coated). Basically everything that needed looking at on a car with 365K miles on it. After 32 years of ownership it's tough not having her for almost a year ... I sure will be glad to get her back. :driving1: I wanna go driving :driving1:

sdg3205
06-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Rear cobras with RWL are still available. Front cobras were discontinued and the last few years they did not have RWL, only earlier 195s did.

SS Spoiler
06-02-2013, 01:08 PM
rwl's?

sdg3205
06-02-2013, 01:28 PM
rwl's?

Raised white letters, good sir!

NightFlyer
06-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Rear cobras with RWL are still available. Front cobras were discontinued and the last few years they did not have RWL, only earlier 195s did.

Yeah, I saw that. The tires I'm looking at specifically are the Mastercraft Avenger G/T's made by Cooper. Original sizes, both front and back, in RWL. The tread pattern appears to be exactly the same as that which is found on the Cobras, and the specs and warranty also appear to be exactly the same between the two model lines.

I don't know if the tire shops that show the Avenger G/T's line in their catalogs just haven't updated their websites and they're really out of stock, or if a few shops still have a large selection of the Mastercraft's available. I'll find out on Monday from the place in Fort Wayne, IN, and update in this thread.

If not, I'll probably end up going with the Falken ZIEX BSW.

NightFlyer
06-03-2013, 05:50 AM
OUT OF STOCK :frown:

See my other post with a list of currently produced/available matched sets.

I ultimately decided to go with the GIUGIARO DESIGNED Vredestein Sportrac 5.

http://www.vredestein.com/car-tyres/summer/sportrac-5/info/

After all, a car designed by Giugiaro deserves to have a tire designed by Giugiaro, right? :biggrin:

Farrar
06-04-2013, 06:14 PM
It seems to me that "Raised White Letters" are mentioned on DMCTalk about as often as "hot start problem." Whenever someone mentions them, I expect the Hallelujah Chorus to start playing.

Tire paint has been around for years. Why not just paint the letters in yourself? :hmm: