PDA

View Full Version : Engine Tire Un-Recommendations

Dangermouse
06-01-2013, 05:26 PM
We frequently have posts saying "what tires do you recommend?" or "I'm thinking of putting on Brand X", but with the general improved quality of tires these days, are there any specific tires that owners have used, on their D, that they wouldn't recommend?

And why?

(Ignoring such aesthetic issues as matching treads front and rear. )

thirdmanj
06-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Tried these: Hated them, can't recommend...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/02/7abasege.jpg

Dangermouse
06-01-2013, 10:26 PM
That's two BTTF jokes this evening J, you're on a roll. :)

thirdmanj
06-01-2013, 10:27 PM
:hihi2: ...on a "roll"...

Michael
06-01-2013, 11:01 PM
I eluded to this in the other tire thread, but to be more blunt...As far as Delorean's are concerned, I'm not sure there is a "bad" tire. After all just about any tire you buy today is going to be better than the NCT's of the day. Most importantly however, I doubt anyone drives their DeLorean to the limits or so much as approaching the limits to need any more performance than even the cheapest tire offers.

The issues a particular tire may have or not have are snuffed out by the car itself before any ride quality, road noise complaints, or performance pitfalls even begin rear their head. In fact I personally think the more expensive higher performance tires are worse than cheaper tires. As I said, most if not all owners drive their DeLorean somewhat carefully( I baby mine). A soft high performance tire will no doubt wear more quickly than a cheaper tire built for high mileage, especially considering we can't rotate our tires. So if we are not driving into mountain turns ala Fast n Furious why spend more money for less mileage? Even stock suspension of the day is lacking by todays standards, so will we really notice a smoother ride because we dropped an extra 200 on those luxury tires? Will the engine right behind our heads really let us appreciate that 10db drop of road noise?

I'm all about pampering my car and giving it the best of care, and to be honest I would have bought another set of Pilots if they still made them in our sizes, but with the way things are today in original size tire choices....just take what you can get and be damn happy you got that. And on that note, there is nothing wrong with dropping to a 225 in the rear and you have your choice of brands and prices of tires.

Farrar
06-04-2013, 06:06 PM
A soft high performance tire will no doubt wear more quickly than a cheaper tire built for high mileage, especially considering we can't rotate our tires. So if we are not driving into mountain turns ala Fast n Furious why spend more money for less mileage? Even stock suspension of the day is lacking by todays standards, so will we really notice a smoother ride because we dropped an extra 200 on those luxury tires? Will the engine right behind our heads really let us appreciate that 10db drop of road noise?

A million times, this! In 2008 I went to Pep Boys and asked for what they could give me in stock sizes. I didn't care that it was a store brand. It looks right and it's reasonable. And I noticed not a bit of difference from the previous tires, except they they're not as soft so they've lasted a lot longer. I'm not out there running Le Mans or anything.

valdez
06-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Do not use a wheelbarrow tire. It doesn't last long.