PDA

View Full Version : General Screws below shifter

Jimmyvonviggle
06-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Those two exposed screws below the shifter always bugged me. It seems strange and unfinished. Today I went to the hardware store and picked up some screw caps. I think it looks better.

Has anyone else done anything to hide these screws?

Mark D
06-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Those screws were looking a little worn on my car so I replaced them with new ones...that helped them blend in a little but the screws are still pretty obvious.

If the phillips pan head screws really bug you there are a few other options besides the plastic caps that surround the whole screw head like you have shown. If you switched to a socket head cap screw they make plastic dome caps that fit into the hex opening of the cap screw.

http://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110300239770/

Or you could countersink the mounting plate and use a flat head screw instead.

Dangermouse
06-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Has anyone else done anything to hide these screws?

No, but I'm definitely going to now. They look so much better :biggrin:

Jimmyvonviggle
06-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Those screws were looking a little worn on my car so I replaced them with new ones...that helped them blend in a little but the screws are still pretty obvious.

If the phillips pan head screws really bug you there are a few other options besides the plastic caps that surround the whole screw head like you have shown. If you switched to a socket head cap screw they make plastic dome caps that fit into the hex opening of the cap screw.

http://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110300239770/

Or you could countersink the mounting plate and use a flat head screw instead.

Those caps have a lower profile but I find they tend to pop off.

Nicholas R
06-06-2013, 12:29 AM
My hardware store sold the screws in black so I just replaced them. They look pretty good now.

Dangermouse
06-10-2013, 11:38 AM
It just struck me that if the aftermarket SS shifter plate was a half inch longer it would cover those holes altogether.

Well, not cover them, per se, but the mounting screws for the shifter place could also be the mounting screws for the whole thing, if you know what I mean.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-10-2013, 04:08 PM
It just struck me that if the aftermarket SS shifter plate was a half inch longer it would cover those holes altogether.

Well, not cover them, per se, but the mounting screws for the shifter place could also be the mounting screws for the whole thing, if you know what I mean.

You are right, that would have been the best solution.