PDA

View Full Version : My Conversion So Far

Brisfx
06-07-2013, 01:50 AM
This is the stage my car is at. Still haven't drilled any stainless apart from the t panel.19690

Kenny_Z
06-07-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm guessing double sided tape holds the bands on? I've always though a good glue or tape would be a better alternative.

Brisfx
06-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Yes

I drilled the t panel but none if the other stainless, couldnt bring myself to do it. Found these small clips with an adhesive adhesive backing

Kenny_Z
06-07-2013, 11:32 AM
I don't blame you at all. The conversion looks good. Did you do anything to the inside?

Nicholas R
06-07-2013, 04:21 PM
I am very impressed! The idea of a non damaging conversion is super appealing to me! At some point in the future I still want to try to create a reversible exterior replica that could be swapped on or off the car in a matter of 1-2 hours.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-07-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm guessing double sided tape holds the bands on? I've always though a good glue or tape would be a better alternative.

+1. I don't know how anyone can bring themselves to drilling holes.

Ryan King
06-08-2013, 02:28 PM
+1. I don't know how anyone can bring themselves to drilling holes.

I had to do it for the holes on my luggage rack...and even that hurt my insides a little bit.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I had to do it for the holes on my luggage rack...and even that hurt my insides a little bit.

That's different, and some might say acceptable.

jackb
06-09-2013, 12:06 AM
That's different, and some might say acceptable.
It hurt me a little too drilling the mounts for my luggage rack. Permanant is permanant.

mr2nut123
06-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Looks awesome! You even have a pioneer speaker on your emitter :wink:

thirdmanj
06-11-2013, 11:15 AM
It would be neat to design a temporary back piece that looks like the BTTF mods that utilized the luggage rack. The rest of the Time Machine wiring gear could be applied with 3m tape or something.

Ron
06-11-2013, 05:57 PM
It would be neat to design a temporary back piece that looks like the BTTF mods that utilized the luggage rack. The rest of the Time Machine wiring gear could be applied with 3m tape or something.
Sounds like Bill has a new record to break on video!
(I just know I'm going to regret that...)

thirdmanj
06-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Sounds like Bill has a new record to break on video!
(I just know I'm going to regret that...)

I don't get it. I'm slo

Ron
06-11-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't get it. I'm slo The first one went to the bit bucket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq7KCLkq76M

Starglider
06-12-2013, 05:18 PM
I am very impressed! The idea of a non damaging conversion is super appealing to me! At some point in the future I still want to try to create a reversible exterior replica that could be swapped on or off the car in a matter of 1-2 hours.

This has been done; P J Grady Europe (i.e. Chris Nicholsson) produced a pair of screen accurate exterior prop kits that use existing mounting points, no new holes required.

TripleZeroFilms
08-14-2013, 11:46 AM
This has been done; P J Grady Europe (i.e. Chris Nicholsson) produced a pair of screen accurate exterior prop kits that use existing mounting points, no new holes required.

Wow. I checked out their page and it looks incredible (especially for something non-damaging). Their whole website seems outdated though, and the "store" doesn't even work. I wonder what they were (are?) charging for that kit.

Starglider
08-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Their whole website seems outdated though, and the "store" doesn't even work. I wonder what they were (are?) charging for that kit.

Yeah, I keep bugging the owner about that. As I understand it he was working with someone who did the site for him but the relationship lapsed some years ago and it hasn't been maintained since. P J Grady UK is still going strong though. I'm considering having at least the flux bands made in the spring, if you're interested I could ask for a quote for two sets. They're the tricky bit; making the rear deck use existing mounts is relatively straightforward.

ALEXAKOS
08-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Doing Great!
I have a different plan.
Magnets. Yes I know it wont' hold on SS. That is why I am going to place galvanized metal sheets glued on to the interior of the panels.

My plan is a replica / stock conversion in 25 minutes on and off.

Where did you get the Mr. fusion base?

TripleZeroFilms
08-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I keep bugging the owner about that. As I understand it he was working with someone who did the site for him but the relationship lapsed some years ago and it hasn't been maintained since. P J Grady UK is still going strong though. I'm considering having at least the flux bands made in the spring, if you're interested I could ask for a quote for two sets. They're the tricky bit; making the rear deck use existing mounts is relatively straightforward.

PM Sent.

In this day in age, it's hard to run a business with no/limited web presence - especially one dealing with such a specialty market. How long ago did they come up with this kit anyway? I don't recall ever having heard of it before now despite all the BTTF Replica builders in the US. You'd think a non-damaging conversion would give them a run for their money (even if it is only an exterior one).

Starglider
08-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Magnets. Yes I know it wont' hold on SS. That is why I am going to place galvanized metal sheets glued on to the interior of the panels.

Be careful, any movement of the exterior parts could easily scratch up or remove the grain on the stainless.

How long ago did they come up with this kit anyway?

I think Chris said 2006, though don't quote me on that.

I don't recall ever having heard of it before now despite all the BTTF Replica builders in the US. You'd think a non-damaging conversion would give them a run for their money (even if it is only an exterior one).

I suspect demand is greater now than it was then, also Chris tends to focus on new practical projects in front of him rather than do sales/marketing etc on existing ones.

ALEXAKOS
08-15-2013, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=Starglider;116665]Be careful, any movement of the exterior parts could easily scratch up or remove the grain on the stainless./QUOTE]
I am on it with felt in between;)