PDA

View Full Version : Well... I'm here!! :D

Nicholas R
06-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Hello all! You may or may not know me. My name is Nick and I've got the DeLorean with the LS1 engine in it.
:wave2::wave2::wave2:

Over the last 4 years or so I've had my car to and from Florida several times. I attended the Celebration car show in 2010, DCS in 2012, and have lived here off and on since 2008. In the past this was always temporary and I'd later end up back in Cincinnati, OH.

I recently got my Masters in Mechanical Engineering and then accepted a job as a Mechanical Engineer for Walt Disney World working specifically on their rides and attractions.

Originally I wasn't planning on having my car down here until much later in the summer, however; last weekend I had to fly back to Ohio unexpectedly for Cliff Schmucker's funeral. Instead of waiting until later in the summer like I had planned, I decided to get a one way ticket and drive the car back down. The car made the trip great and aside from several spots of heavy rain, the trip was uneventful. I'm currently located pretty close to WDW obviously.

Here's a couple photos of my car in it's new home:

This move is a permanent one so for the most part, goodbye DCO and hello DCF! (Dont get me wrong, I still love all the DCO members and we'll all certainly stay friends, but the events will be more quite a bit more difficult to attend :wink:)

Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and find out how I could be added to any mailing lists or contact lists for gatherings and events.

Hope to see you all soon!

:partyhat::driving1::wrenchin::partyhat:

Chris Burns
06-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Welcome to Fl Nick! Not too far away from me!!:biggrin:

Spittybug
06-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Oh man..... Mechanical engineer at WDW. My son is thinking he wants to be a ME and he would wet his pants working there! (I might too...)

I need to stay in your good books. One day I really, really, really want to get a behind the scenes tour of that place. Call me weird (or call me a Delorean owner), but the "how" of WDW is just as fascinating if not more so, than the actual visit.

Good luck with the new job! Oh, BTW, although the Sterling didn't end up in Houston due to the parking lot status of my house, I kept conversing with Elaine and she told me a man and his teenage son bought it recently as a father-son restoration. She was happy it was going to a good home. Man, that would have been a fun project!

DeLorean937
06-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Warm Welcome to You!! Look forward to meeting you at some of the tech sessions and DCF events!! Let me know if you ever make it down to Sarasota and i'll be more than happy to show you the town!!

SS Spoiler
06-08-2013, 12:41 AM
I'm with you spitty, the behind the scene tour is great. My company sent us down to the Disney Institute for some corporate rah rah that included the back story. Did you know there is an underground city running everywhere. The laundry is unique. Looking at the bags of laundry rolling overhead reminded me of the Monsters INC movie. The guide said your exactly right, I was just about to tell the group but you beat me to it. Maybe Nick can set up a DeLorean group rate after he settles in. Well worth it.........

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT

Nicholas R
06-08-2013, 02:07 AM
The laundry facilities are indeed very impressive, if nohing else just because of the volume of laundry. I think there are now 24 Disney resorts on property all requiting fresh laundry; that plus all the employee uniforms. unbelievable facilities. The "underground city" is only under the Magic Kingdom. It is pretty impressive though. I used to have a desk down there as an intern a few years ago. I still know the tunnels pretty darn well. I'll just be in an office building behind the scenes though, going into the parks when necessary.

I always wondered what happened with the Sterling Spittybug. Bummer you couldn't swing the deal but it sounds like hopefully it went to a good home. That's still the only one ive ever seem in person.

whocruiser
06-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Good news, so glad the drive down went well and that you managed not to be too swamped by Hurricane Andrea. I guess I'll see you (and park with you too) next Saturday at Hurricane Who's Summer Night, for less rain & more fun. And for anyone else "who" may want to come out and join Nicholas, myself, and more than a few others, we are going to this:

http://www.hurricanewho.com/2013/04/hurricane-whos-summer-night-2013/

Ozzie
06-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Welcome to Florida Nicholas.
Cool job, btw!
We met briefly at DCS in Orlando; you, my son ('85 Supra guy), and I were fellow judges.

Hope you make the best of year round, often pretty decent, driving weather.

Morpheus
06-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Glad to have you in town, Nick! I'm sure we can look forward to some great DCF get togethers in the coming months.

Farrar
06-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Slightly off topic, but I hope to visit you guys some day. I have family in Jacksonville and (soon) Altamonte Springs. Congrats on the move, Nick!

Iceguy
06-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Welcome Nick, Awesome to have another D in town. I have read your blog and look forward to meeting you & seeing your car in person.

Beachdrifter
06-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Welcome to Florida! Lots of things to do, and lots of fun.

I actually live in Kissimmee because of my work, not too far from Disney, but keep my Delorean garaged in Melbourne area. Hopefully we can maybe get a nice tech session later this year, and get a large group of DMC owners together.

-Randy

Nicholas R
06-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Welcome to Florida! Lots of things to do, and lots of fun.

I actually live in Kissimmee because of my work, not too far from Disney, but keep my Delorean garaged in Melbourne area. Hopefully we can maybe get a nice tech session later this year, and get a large group of DMC owners together.

-Randy

I hope so too!

Is there a list anywhere of upcoming events or anything? I checked the DeLorean Club of Florida website but the events dont list anything after the Celebration Carshow 2012.

Thanks!

Evildeli
06-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Welcome Nick. My younger brother works for Disney. Does something with programming rides and then I tune him out for some reason. Must be a brother thing :) I swear he's explained it to me 10 times and I forget almost instantly.

Beachdrifter
06-28-2013, 08:39 PM
I hope so too!

Is there a list anywhere of upcoming events or anything? I checked the DeLorean Club of Florida website but the events dont list anything after the Celebration Carshow 2012.

Thanks!

I don't know any off the top of my head, but usually this time of year things are kind of calm when it comes to car shows or tech sessions. Heat and sun is too much. But I imagine October time frame will probably be something that will pop up.

Lenny
06-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Nick,
Are you an Imagineer? Is that a generic title or a title that specific people earn?

My wife and I watched a 2 hour special on Modern Marvels about the creation of Disneyland and Disney World. We go to Disney a lot, of course we live in Florida and it's only a 1.5 hour drive. We like it so much we bought a time share so we can pass it down to our grandchildren.

We are coming up the week after the 4th. I'll be at a conference but my wife and granddaughter are going to do the parks. I was going to bring the D but we don't have underground parking where we are staying. When we go to the Car Show at Celebration I stay at Animal Kingdom so I can park underground.

Congratulations on your new job and welcome to Florida Summers.

Nicholas R
06-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Thanks! I am not an imagineer. Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is its own company that deals primarily with the creative aspects of the parks and resorts. All imagineers dealing with rides are located in Glendale California. That being said, we do work closely with WDI, especially on new rides because of the familiarity we have with the resort. I deal with just Walt Disney World, specifically the Rides in the 4 parks from the mechanical perspective. We design changes and improvements on pretty much any long term project.

Anyway like I said, any group gatherings I want to know about. I'm itching to work at a tech session or something!

sphiend
07-03-2013, 07:56 PM
I hope so too!

Thanks!

Not to crash your thread but you are only 7 hours from Con '13 and the parade could always use a Doctor in a D.

Nicholas R
07-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Lol, I was 7 hours away when I was in Ohio too, just on the other side. I'm still trying to work out whether or not I'll be at DC this year. I hope so, just not positive yet.

Presicion25
07-09-2013, 09:19 PM
I'm a former member of DCF and owner of a Delorean as well. I must say, That's some NICE work! Its reminiscent of a guy in Florida named Eddie who used to drop Supra engines into DMC-12's also. I wonder how the would drive would be with that kind of power in it? :hihi2:

I just noticed my name on the left says veteran but my join date was actually back in 2005 even though it says 2012. lol

Nicholas R
07-09-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm a former member of DCF and owner of a Delorean as well. I must say, That's some NICE work! Its reminiscent of a guy in Florida named Eddie who used to drop Supra engines into DMC-12's also. I wonder how the would drive would be with that kind of power in it? :hihi2:

I just noticed my name on the left says veteran but my join date was actually back in 2005 even though it says 2012. lol

I remember Eddie. When Eddie put his car up for sale, Cliff Schmucker sent me to go check out the car because I was down here at the time. Cliff ended up buying it sight unseen based on the photos I sent him and the conversations we had. It is indeed a very cool car.

AdmiralSenn
07-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Welcome back!

Mike C.
07-20-2013, 07:15 AM

That's because it's a different board since then :) Back then we were .com, now we have become .org