PDA

View Full Version : General Battery Leak in Delorean

mikego_34
06-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Hello all, I recently had a battery spill in my Delorean with a standard lead acid battery, some leaked into the back of the passenger seat area on the carpeting. So I went off to cleaning the mess by utilizing baking soda to neutralize the battery acid. My question to all would be do you guys think there will be any long term effects on the surfaces (carpet, floorboard, battery compartment area) that were in contact with the battery acid? Just for the heads up I caught the leak pretty much right when it happened because I've installed a cutoff switch for the battery so I always see the battery compartment area.
Thanks in Advance,
Mike

DMCMW Dave
06-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Hello all, I recently had a battery spill in my Delorean with a standard lead acid battery, some leaked into the back of the passenger seat area on the carpeting. So I went off to cleaning the mess by utilizing baking soda to neutralize the battery acid. My question to all would be do you guys think there will be any long term effects on the surfaces (carpet, floorboard, battery compartment area) that were in contact with the battery acid? Just for the heads up I caught the leak pretty much right when it happened because I've installed a cutoff switch for the battery so I always see the battery compartment area.
Thanks in Advance,
Mike

I see many cars with destroyed carpet and plywood from battery acid, but it's more long-term issues. If you got it really cleaned up and neutralized quickly it should be OK. It will not hurt the fiberglass.

Exolis
06-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Long as you have it all cleaned up, there won't be any Battery Acid left. How did the spill happen?

Jonathan
06-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Just a thought on the carpet cleaning... the passenger seat comes out suprisingly easy if you hadn't already done that and wanted to clean any of the carpet or floor board under the seat and near the battery compartment. Just four nuts and bolts that are accessible from underneath the car (on the outside) and you don't generally need to even lift the car up to get a wrench on them.