PDA

View Full Version : For Sale 1981, no gas flap, gray interior, 5 speed. $14k

jdavies77
06-17-2013, 11:30 AM
As seen on Ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-DMC-Delorean-5-spd-gray-leather-engine-gone-through-21k-miles-/370832384359?ru=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=370832384359&_rdc=1&forcev4exp=true

I think the price is very fair considering you get a running, driving D with all good body panels and a decent interior. Basically it's road ready and I've put about 300 miles on it in the past 2 months.

Here's what I've done:
New DMC door struts
Replaced both drive and ac belts
Removed intake and cleaned valley and replaced all gaskets, hoses and clamps with new parts.
Replaced the missing vent on the rear louver
Replaced Otterstat
Flushed and filled radiator/system

Here's what I've been told the previous owner did: (He had the car for a total of 1,000 miles as the second owner)
Updated coolant system with stainless tank and bleeder valves
New tires
Had heads resurfaced and reinstalled
New clutch pressure plate
He said he had the lower end of the motor gone through as well, but I don't have a way to confirm as he didn't have receipts. His mechanic told me the motor was taken out and shipped off before he reinstalled it, so I can only assume the story to be true. Regardless, I know the heads were done and the motor runs great.

Here's what it needs:
Exterior:
DMC logo for grille
Mesh missing below the fascia, I never noticed it until today
Windshield
Has aftermarket antenna

Interior:
Dash is cracked, the binnacle however is in good shape with no cracks ($300)
All gauges work, even the clock
Drivers seat is torn behind left shoulder ($600)
Rear defrost switch is bad ($39)
radio does not power on (aftermarket)
Heat does not blow hot (the blower motor blows air, I also noticed some hoses not connected under the dash, but I haven't tackled this one)
Driver door arm rest although there, is mounted poorly with screws, also needs the pull strap. I believe I saw on under the hood.
Passenger door courtesy light contact switch is bad.
Steering column sits low, upon looking under the dash, the firewall bushing is good, the wobble comes from behind the knuckle where a rubber grommet connects the shaft
Shifter boot is cracked and peeling ($88)

Engine/Drivetrain:
engine cover prop bracket is missing, the slide is there, but no bracket (presently has a hook on the bottom of the louver that holds the cover up.
I replaced the otterstat, but when the temp hit 220 I turned the car off. Some say the gauge might be slightly off, I didn't want to test my luck so the otterstat is presently bypassed.
engine compartment light doesn't function

I think I've done a pretty good job explaining everything that I know to be issues with the car. I have a source that can ship the car to Chicago for $250. So if someone wanted me to ship it there so a windshield can be installed by DMC Midwest, then have the car picked up from there, it would probably save on shipping costs from MN as Chicago is on the main route.

Please let me know if there's any specific pics you'd like to see. I know there's plenty of my car floating out there, didn't think it made sense to reload the forum with them.

jdavies77
06-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Steering column sits low, upon looking under the dash, the firewall bushing is good, the wobble comes from behind the knuckle where a rubber grommet connects the shaft

I replaced the otterstat, but when the temp hit 220 I turned the car off. Some say the gauge might be slightly off, I didn't want to test my luck so the otterstat is presently bypassed.

I tinkered with the car a bit today and now have the fans kicking on at 208 degrees as they should, otterstat is no longer bypassed.

I also managed to wedge myself under the dash and the wobble in the column comes from the bushing that goes through the firewall being obsolete. It was there, until I put my finger on it and it split in half. A new bushing through DMC is $16.95 and a whole lot of fun to do.

Still working on the no heat issue. The hose that is disconnected is about 8 inches long and looks like a "J" under the dash. Air is coming from the hose and I see where it goes into the motor, but the air blowing out is still not warm.

lkn4ubl
06-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Just as an FYI, I replaced the bushing in my car in 10 minutes without any tools using a technique one of the DMC shops is using (I don't recall where I saw it). I bought a new rubber bushing from DMC Houston, sliced it open on one side, lubricated it with white lithium grease, and pushed it in with a lot of cursing while trying to put my 200lb. frame underneath the dash. Far easier than removing the steering column. It has been fine since March.

ThomHart
07-01-2013, 09:02 AM
PM'd but did not get a reply. Interested in car if still available.

jdavies77
07-02-2013, 03:37 PM
PM'd but did not get a reply. Interested in car if still available.

Sorry for the delay, the car was sold last week to a 22 yo in North Dakota