PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Anyone have a 5 sp Gear Shift Lever they want to sell??

Jeffu
06-22-2013, 12:19 PM
I know it's probably a long shot.....But does anyone have a gear shift lever they would like to sell? Mine broke....:what_the: Let me know, thanks!!

pk2678
06-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Can it be welded?

Peter

Dangermouse
06-22-2013, 02:25 PM
In the event that you don't find one from a forum member, there was a thread on here recently about another member who broke one and it was noted that an Esprit one works well

Search for "esprit" and you will find the thread and a link.

Jeffu
06-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Can it be welded?

Peter

Possibly?? I can do a lot of things "mechanical wise", but welding is not one of them. I might look into it if I can't get a replacement.

Jeffu
06-22-2013, 02:36 PM
In the event that you don't find one from a forum member, there was a thread on here recently about another member who broke one and it was noted that an Esprit one works well

Search for "esprit" and you will find the thread and a link.

Great tip! I will dig for the link. thanks!

Jeffu
06-22-2013, 02:42 PM
BTW, some people tend to think this failure is due to "too aggressive, or hard" shifting. I do not believe this to be the case. However, yes it is likely that too much stress could cause the failure. It's just my opinion that this is just a weak point in the lever where the pin goes through..... I never shift aggressively. In fact, my shifter broke when I was attending my 2nd car show. I was being directed to park by the organizers when they told me to back into my staging area and the lever just broke off in my hand...LOL.

Dangermouse
06-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Two identical failures in a month! Josh should stock up on these ASAP ;)

Kenny_Z
06-22-2013, 02:45 PM
I think but I'm not positive that Lokar does custom orders. I've heard it in passing but I can't find any sources. If all else fails they might be able to produce one but it probably won't be cheap. http://www.lokar.com

1batt4u
06-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Two identical failures in a month! Josh should stock up on these ASAP ;)

He should in S/S, polishes as an option for those with the shift plate.

Jeffu
06-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Well, I decided to just have one machined. I think it turned out great! Had it in less than 24hrs. Cheaper than having to order it overseas.

Mark D
06-27-2013, 07:38 PM
You should see if anyone else is interested and do a small group buy. If they're priced reasonably I'd be in for one.

r00b
06-27-2013, 08:05 PM
I'd want one without the hole, how about welding something in the place of the roll pin.

DMC5180
06-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Is it Stainless? If so, I'd be interested in one. I had been planning on doing one for myself for cosmetic reasons. That one appears to be dead ON. From the looks of it, it was done on a CNC lathe. Therefore the programing is done and easily repeatable at minimum setup cost. What diameter is the material stock?

Bitsyncmaster
06-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Is it Stainless? If so, I'd be interested in one. I had been planning on doing one for myself for cosmetic reasons. That one appears to be dead ON. From the looks of it, it was done on a CNC lathe. Therefore the programing is done and easily repeatable at minimum setup cost. What diameter is the material stock?

SS would be more prone to breaking at the same place. I would think you could come up with a smaller hole for the roll pin and design a new pin.

LEVY
06-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Well, I decided to just have one machined. I think it turned out great! Had it in less than 24hrs. Cheaper than having to order it overseas.

Was it hardened after it was machined?

I would think it needs to be hardened to avoid bending.

LEVY

DMC5180
06-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Stainless is tough material. Machinist hate it because it has gummy properties. I highly doubt you could bend a half inch stainless shaft with your hand that is that short. The factory steel shaft ( probably mild steel btw) is prone to fatigue stress fractures. Stainless is less likely to fatigue so easily due it's toughness factor

dvonk
06-27-2013, 11:35 PM

mmm, that sure is pretty. :hihi2:

Jeffu
06-28-2013, 09:43 AM
You should see if anyone else is interested and do a small group buy. If they're priced reasonably I'd be in for one.

It's possible. I would have to see what the interest would be from people.

Jeffu
06-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Yes it's SS. In looking at it, it appears dead on to me! Not, sure what the diameter is but I will put the caliper on it this weekend. It's the same diameter as the old shifter.

Jeffu
06-28-2013, 09:48 AM
mmm, that sure is pretty. :hihi2:

Thanks!

ramblinmike
06-28-2013, 09:49 AM
It's possible. I would have to see what the interest would be from people.

I am more than interested. Post a price!

Kenny_Z
06-28-2013, 12:36 PM
That's a beautiful piece. I'm interested as well.

Notifier
06-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Also interested, my shift lever is getting chewed up by my stainless steel shift plate. The shift plate looks nice but is murder on the shift lever.

Jeffu
07-02-2013, 02:51 PM
"I am more than interested. Post a price!"

"That's a beautiful piece. I'm interested as well."

"Also interested, my shift lever is getting chewed up by my stainless steel shift plate. The shift plate looks nice but is murder on the shift lever."

Well, obviously with the PM's that I have received and comments like these above there appears to be an interest from others who would like to obtain a replacement/spare shifter lever. Let me re-connect with the machnist that made mine and see if I can find out what he would charge me for a bulk order. After I have that I can get back with everyone. Thanks for your patience!