PDA

View Full Version : Florida to Dayton for DCS Auto Train for part of the trip?

Lenny
06-24-2013, 07:59 PM
I was just looking at the drive from Florida to Dayton, probably 16 hours or so. What about this, 1 hour drive to Sanford FL, get the Auto Train get off in Lorton, Va. drive 8 hours to Dayton.

What do you think?
8 hours vs 16 hours
500 miles vs 1000 miles

Round trip that would put 1000 less miles on the car and save 16 hours on the engine. It would probably take the same amount of time from when I would leave to get there maybe longer.

Someone did that down to DCS in Orlando how was it?

Jimmyvonviggle
06-24-2013, 08:03 PM
I know of several friends of my in laws that do this every year coming home from Florida. Since they find the trip from Florida to Montreal to much, they take the train half way and drive the rest. They seem to like it and enjoy the ride. Just make sure they can handle the size of our car.

Roman Legion
06-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Never heard of this before, how much does it cost?

dvonk
06-24-2013, 10:23 PM
...Someone did that down to DCS in Orlando how was it?

here is the thread for the Amtrak Auto Train to DCS 2012 (dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2910-Amtrak-Auto-Train-to-DCS-2012/)... maybe some of those who took it can chime in and share their experiences.

tommyrich
06-25-2013, 07:46 AM
I took the train to/from DCS 2012 with the DeLorean and I can say that it was a very postive experience. I live on Long Island and it was about a 3-4 hour drive to Lorton. They were very good with the handling of the car. We got the Roomette which converts into bunk beds at night. When you first get on the provde free snacks and wine in the club car. Dinner was very good. and they accommodations, although small, were very comfortable. It was a bit pricey (around $1100 for two, round trip including the car). But for that trip, I would definietly do it agian. There is a more expensive option of getting a full room with a priviate bathroom, or a less expensive option of coach seating/sleeping.
Tom