PDA

View Full Version : Woodward Dream Cruise August 17, 2012, Detroit, MI

NightFlyer
06-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Who plans on attending the Woodward Dream Cruise 2013? This year's cruise is on August 17. Here's the official website for more details:

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

Flint is also doing its annual 'Back to the Bricks' show and cruise, August 13-17, which in many ways is even better than Woodward IMHO. Here's the official website for more details:

http://www.backtothebricks.org/

For the last several years, area DeLorean clubs have worked out an arrangement with the planning committee to take over the frontage lot of the Bloomfield Hills Mercedes Benz dealership on Woodward Ave for a mini DeLorean car show.

A trip to the old QAC in Troy is also currently in the planning stages.

If anyone was traveling and needed a place to stay overnight, I can provide free lodging (I do have a cat) and overnight indoor parking for several cars.

I'm located about 100 miles, an 80 minute drive, from Detroit in Sunfield, MI, and will be attending both events with #1798.

So who's going?

Exolis
06-27-2013, 01:18 PM
I will be there, not sure if it will be with 16619. Most likely will drive it during the week up and down.

Never heard of the Flint cruise, will look into that.

NightFlyer
06-27-2013, 03:17 PM
I will be there, not sure if it will be with 16619. Most likely will drive it during the week up and down.

Never heard of the Flint cruise, will look into that.

Excellent - look forward to meeting you there, hopefully with 16619 :thumbup:

propony
06-27-2013, 04:42 PM
I have done Woodward for the last 8 years, but only twice with the D. We have also visited the QAC in Troy. Driving tours are great fun. Tony and Rich, from the Chicago area are a wealth of information, and you can't find nicer guys. Tim, from Ann Arbor, has located several historically significant DeLorean supplier, vendors, and other contractors involved in the development of our cars, and lead a really cool tour 2 years ago. Tony brought car 520 (i think...) that was the Detroit auto show car.
I am in Battle Creek, I am surprised our paths have never crossed. Looking forward to meeting you. I should be there with 5778.
As a side note, have you ever been to the Gilmore car museum? The Mad Dogs and Englishmen car show usually brings out 4 cars from the area. Maybe you could look into joining us there.
Curt

NightFlyer
06-29-2013, 01:30 PM
I have done Woodward for the last 8 years, but only twice with the D. We have also visited the QAC in Troy. Driving tours are great fun. Tony and Rich, from the Chicago area are a wealth of information, and you can't find nicer guys. Tim, from Ann Arbor, has located several historically significant DeLorean supplier, vendors, and other contractors involved in the development of our cars, and lead a really cool tour 2 years ago. Tony brought car 520 (i think...) that was the Detroit auto show car.
I am in Battle Creek, I am surprised our paths have never crossed. Looking forward to meeting you. I should be there with 5778.
As a side note, have you ever been to the Gilmore car museum? The Mad Dogs and Englishmen car show usually brings out 4 cars from the area. Maybe you could look into joining us there.
Curt

Unfortunately, I haven't made it to many events/shows since moving to Michigan, but I hope to change all that this year! Right now, my car is still awaiting wake-up from winter storage back in Wisconsin. She'll positively be in Michigan near the end of July though, if not before (getting time off to do it, in between cleaning up the yard and doing house work/maintenance has been difficult to say the least)!

I've never been to the Gilmore museum. The only car museum I've been to in Michigan is the RE Olds museum in Lansing. I'll have to check out Mad Dogs and Englishmen - maybe I can make it to one or both, with or without my D.

Look forward to meeting you at Woodward for sure though :thumbup:

DMC5180
06-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Nightflyer, where in Wisconsin were at before you moved to Michigan?

NightFlyer
06-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Nightflyer, where in Wisconsin were at before you moved to Michigan?

Hey Dennis,

I was previously located in the Burlington area, Racine County, Wisconsin.

DMC5180
06-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Hey Dennis,

I was previously located in the Burlington area, Racine County, Wisconsin.

Cool, My company has done some testing down at the MGA proving grounds. I assume a new job took you to Sunfield?

NightFlyer
06-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Cool, My company has done some testing down at the MGA proving grounds. I assume a new job took you to Sunfield?

I'm familiar with MGA, and used to deliver there all the time.

Actually, school took me to Lansing. A job is what convinced me to stay in the area, and cheap real estate and low property taxes (not to mention very few neighbors) is what caused me to settle my homestead in Sunfield :smile:

I had a friend who was pulled over and issued a 'display of power ticket' for spinning his tires in Reedsburg, but that was 14 years ago. Man, I'm getting old...

Ron
06-29-2013, 09:25 PM
I had a friend who was pulled over and issued a 'display of power ticket' for spinning his tires in Reedsburg, but that was 14 years ago. Man, I'm getting old...
Back in the day, Woodward was THE place to drag race...You could run for $100 a gear all night, until they learned your car. (We would just go to Gratiot Ave for a few weekends until they learned it there, then spend the next dropping it into another body. Next. lol)
They called it "Exhibition of Horsepower" back then.

NightFlyer
06-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Back in the day, Woodward was THE place to drag race...You could run for $100 a gear all night, until they learned your car.
They called it "Exhibition of Horsepower" back then.

Be nice to be able to meet you at Woodward this year... so, do you plan on coming?

Ron
06-29-2013, 09:51 PM
I really don't know...I've been trying to go for the last few years but I always seem to get tied up here in GA. I have a sister that lives right there which I would stay with, but she is coming down here to see our mom... but she has said that before LOL

NightFlyer
06-29-2013, 09:57 PM
I really don't know...I've been trying to go for the last few years but I always seem to get tied up here in GA. I have a sister that lives right there which I would stay with, but she is coming down here to see our mom... but she has said that before LOL

If you do decide to come, you should also consider checking out Flint's 'Back to the Bricks', just prior to Woodward. In many ways, it's actually better than Woodward IMHO. I'll be going to both, so if you do come and would like to coordinate, just shoot me a message 8)

DMC5180
06-29-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm familiar with MGA, and used to deliver there all the time.

Actually, school took me to Lansing. A job is what convinced me to stay in the area, and cheap real estate and low property taxes (not to mention very few neighbors) is what caused me to settle my homestead in Sunfield :smile:

"Display of power ticket" Never heard of that one before. But then I was never a fan of prematurely wearing my tires out even when I had a car that could do it.

Ron
06-29-2013, 10:10 PM
If you do decide to come, you should also consider checking out Flint's 'Back to the Bricks', just prior to Woodward. In many ways, it's actually better than Woodward IMHO. I'll be going to both, so if you do come and would like to coordinate, just shoot me a message 8)Will do!
Actually, my brother-in-law mentioned 'Back to the Bricks'.

NightFlyer
06-29-2013, 11:33 PM
"Display of power ticket" Never heard of that one before. But then I was never a fan of prematurely wearing my tires out even when I had a car that could do it.

Apparently it was a violation of a local ordinance. At the time, my friend had a '93 Camaro Z28 with the LT1 and always drove it with a very heavy foot. Back then, I don't think he ever kept a car long enough to wear out the tires, despite how he drove his cars.

Back then, I had a '93 Cadillac Eldorado ETC - first year for the 305bhp 4.6L NorthStar V8. I used to joke with him all the time that despite him having over a full liter more of displacement, my Caddy actually made 5 more bhp than his Camaro. I actually ended up owning 4 of the final gen Eldorados in all, and still own one to this day. Too bad the NorthStar developed head gasket issues from the head bolts pulling out of the block with thermal expansion. Of course, a time-sert corrects this, but is such a major PITA!

DMC5180
06-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Apparently it was a violation of a local ordinance. At the time, my friend had a '93 Camaro Z28 with the LT1 and always drove it with a very heavy foot. Back then, I don't think he ever kept a car long enough to wear out the tires, despite how he drove his cars.

Back then, I had a '93 Cadillac Eldorado ETC - first year for the 305bhp 4.6L NorthStar V8. I used to joke with him all the time that despite him having over a full liter more of displacement, my Caddy actually made 5 more bhp than his Camaro. I actually ended up owning 4 of the final gen Eldorados in all, and still own one to this day. Too bad the NorthStar developed head gasket issues from the head bolts pulling out of the block with thermal expansion. Of course, a time-sert corrects this, but is such a major PITA!

The wife has a 95 Eldorado with A ton of miles on it now but is still a nice driver. (96-99) were the worst years for head gasket issues. Apparently the early Gen Northstar did not suffer from the pulling head bolt threads.

NightFlyer
06-30-2013, 12:47 AM
The wife has a 95 Eldorado with A ton of miles on it now but is still a nice driver. (96-99) were the worst years for head gasket issues. Apparently the early Gen Northstar did not suffer from the pulling head bolt threads.

I owned a '93, '94, '95, and '96. The only one I kept was the '95, although my favorite was the '93. The '96 experienced the typical head gasket issue due to the magically lifting head bolts - actually there's a really fun story involving the trading in of that car for my first Chrysler 300, but another time perhaps. I also don't care much for the 'updated' interiors of the '96 on up - it felt cheaper to me and I preferred the grandpa leather to the European style perforated leather. Thus, of the last gen Eldorados, I only really like the '92's (that still had the 4.9L HT engine) - '95's.

Plus they're great in snow and survive salted roads pretty well.

DMC5180
06-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Plus they're great in snow and survive salted roads pretty well. Yeah, ours did remarkably well going way past the typical 10 year rust rule. This past year seemed to be really hard on the old girl. Our first signs of real rust started showing this spring. The wife loves the car, but hates that it's beginning to show it's age, because it's still such a nice driving car.

back on topic, I went to Woodward in 2011. Had great time. It was pretty cool seeing different cars cruising the streets. Not sure if we will do it this year or not.

NightFlyer
06-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Yeah, ours did remarkably well going way past the typical 10 year rust rule. This past year seemed to be really hard on the old girl. Our first signs of real rust started showing this spring. The wife loves the car, but hates that it's beginning to show it's age, because it's still such a nice driving car.

back on topic, I went to Woodward in 2011. Had great time. It was pretty cool seeing different cars cruising the streets. Not sure if we will do it this year or not.

Well, if you didn't do 'Back to the Bricks' as well in 2011, then you have an excuse to come out this year for something new, right :yesss:

Hope you do decide to come, as I'd love to meet you and your D!

DMC5180
06-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Well, if you didn't do 'Back to the Bricks' as well in 2011, then you have an excuse to come out this year for something new, right :yesss:

Hope you do decide to come, as I'd love to meet you and your D!

Did you make it to the DMCMW Open House this year? Where and when is "back to the bricks" held?

NightFlyer
06-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Did you make it to the DMCMW Open House this year? Where and when is "back to the bricks" held?

Unfortunately, I didn't make the DMCMW Open House this year, although I really wanted to - perhaps next time.

'Back to the Bricks' is held in Downtown Flint, MI, and has scheduled events August 13-17. I usually only attend on the day before Woodward, or on the 16th this year. The cruise extends out into the suburbs surrounding Flint and is pretty kick-butt, as it's more of a dusk/night cruise.

Here's the link to the official website for more info:

http://www.backtothebricks.org/

08-13-2013, 07:37 PM
I am going to try to pop in on my way back to Toronto from DMC Midwest. I will be picking up my car from there in the early afternoon (hopefully)
and that may put me at the Mercedes Dealership around 9pm.. Will you guys still be there?

Rich W
08-13-2013, 08:11 PM
See the official 2013 Woodward Dream Cruise thread here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7807-Woodward-Dream-Cruise-August-17-2013

NightFlyer
08-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone with this thread. If the mods want to merge with the official thread, that's fine by me...