PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Better Battery Option(s) Than Optima

NightFlyer
06-30-2013, 04:35 PM
As many already know, I'll finally have the opportunity to pull my D out of winter hibernation within the next couple weeks. After 10 years, the flooded lead acid AC/Delco that came with my D upon purchase has finally refused to take a decent charge, thus necessitating the purchase of a new battery.

Searching the threads, I see that many here seem to prefer either the Optima Red or Yellow top, however, I just can't bring myself to buying a battery that is now being exclusively manufactured in Mexico - especially at the price that Optima wants for one of their batteries!

I know that DMCH and its affiliates like/push Interstate Batteries, and while I don't have a problem with Interstate Batteries per say, I'm not a huge fan of parent/manufacturer Johnson Controls' outsourcing practices.

And as the battery is actually located within the passenger compartment of the car, I like the idea of going with an AGM or gel battery as opposed to a traditional flooded wet cell, as out-gassing potential is significantly reduced. Interstate's MT7 AGM lists at a whopping $502.95 and has an MSRP of $269.95!

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ntk~SearchGroup|78+agm7|3|,Arpp ~12,A~Part+Number,N~4294784989-4256630784-4256630783-2147384903-4256630782-2147384906,Nr~AND%28P_unique_id%3aInterstate+Batte ries+AMT7-78+MT7-78%29

While Odyssey Batteries (manufactured by EnerSys here in the USA) are clearly the current pinnacle/Cadillac of car batteries, spending over $150 for a car battery seems a bit much to me, not to mention that the side posts on their batteries have had issues with premature failures. But, for those interested, here's the links:

Odyssey Battery 78-PC1500 - $259.95 w/ free shipping -
http://www.directcycleparts.com/electrical-ignition-batteries-odyssey-odyssey-battery-pc1500-p-3850.html

Sears DieHard Platinum (same thing, different label) - $183.99 promotional price plus core/enviro fees where applicable -
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-automotive-battery-group-size-34-78dt-price/p-02850090000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=02850090000P&kispla=02850090000P

After studying the available options at length, I finally made my decision and purchased a Duration Extreme (a Blain's Farm and Fleet house brand) AGM Yellow Cycle for $124.99 plus tax with core:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/661612-duration-agm-yellow-cycle-commercial-battery.html#.UdCLRtjHzXR

It's also available in Red Cycle design for $114.99 plus tax with core for those interested:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/661619-duration-agm-red-starting-automotive-battery.html#.UdCPJdjHzXQ

This battery is actually made by East Penn Manufacturing Co., Inc. right here in Lyon Station, PA, USA. It's practically identical to the Sears DieHard Advanced Gold AGM and Duracell AGM (also both made by East Penn), only with slightly better specs and a lower price.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanced-gold-agm-battery-group-size-78/p-02850778000P?prdNo=50
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-automotive-battery-group-size-78dtagm/prod3590233.ip

Don't pay more for a sticker with a brand name on it when underneath that sticker, they're basically an identical product, made by the same company. And please buy made in USA whenever possible :thumbup:

Hope this assists those who are looking for a new battery for their D make the best choice possible!

Bitsyncmaster
06-30-2013, 05:39 PM
I just got a DieHard battery at Kmart (they own Sears now) for about $80. I think the normal price was $105 and that included the core charge. I don't get why they (interstate) are making almost all their batteries with fill caps that you need to keep filled.

NightFlyer
06-30-2013, 07:25 PM
I just got a DieHard battery at Kmart (they own Sears now) for about $80. I think the normal price was $105 and that included the core charge. I don't get why they (interstate) are making almost all their batteries with fill caps that you need to keep filled.

Dave, is your Die Hard a traditional flooded lead acid battery, and if so, where was it made?

Bitsyncmaster
06-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Dave, is your Die Hard a traditional flooded lead acid battery, and if so, where was it made?

Do not know. It is completely sealed which is what sold me on it. This one is in my Malibu which has a battery cover over it. You really can't find a battery these days for much less than $80.

DMC5180
06-30-2013, 07:53 PM
The DIE HARD is a sealed "Maintence Free" Flooded battery. Just like the old Green dot A/C delco maintenance free batteries.

Ron
06-30-2013, 08:11 PM
FYI- You could still pop the two long "caps" off of them and add water...

NightFlyer
06-30-2013, 08:19 PM
The DIE HARD is a sealed "Maintence Free" Flooded battery. Just like the old Green dot A/C delco maintenance free batteries.

OK, so even though it's advertised as being "maintenance free" / "completely sealed," it must still have vents on it right?

I know that the standard Die Hard and Die Hard Gold (but NOT the Advanced Gold AGM) batteries are made by Johnson Controls, just not sure where they're made.

I used to have a '97 Buick Riviera that had the battery mounted under the back seat. It had a cheesy plastic vent tube that ran to a hole in the floor pan just below the mount location. Needless to say, when I went to change the battery on that car, which was a Green Dot A/C Delco "maintenance free" / "completely sealed" battery, I discovered a pile of rust with the back seat seat-belt bolts severely degrading.

AGM and Gel batteries tend to out-gas less than traditional flooded lead acid batteries - even the "maintenance free" / "completely sealed" types. Again, I personally prefer the AGM / Gel type battery for this very reason, especially seeing as how our batteries are located in the passenger compartment and aren't directly vented (even with a cheesy plastic vent tube) to the exterior atmosphere (at least as far as I know anyway).

Notifier
06-30-2013, 09:59 PM
I know Johnson Controls manufactures a bunch of batteries under a variety of name brands here in Middletown DE. I've been in the plant and they take the raw materials, make the battery case, stamp out the lead plates, fill and charge the batteries, and finally label them. Dirty, dirty, job that I wouldn't want to have!

NightFlyer
07-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I know Johnson Controls manufactures a bunch of batteries under a variety of name brands here in Middletown DE. I've been in the plant and they take the raw materials, make the battery case, stamp out the lead plates, fill and charge the batteries, and finally label them. Dirty, dirty, job that I wouldn't want to have!

There's no question that JC manufacturers many of their batteries right here in the USA, however, they also import a fair number of their batteries as well from their foreign production facilities. They've also recently been on an outsourcing and foreign investment kick. Case in point is Optima. Prior to the acquisition by JC, all Optima batteries were made in Colorado. Shortly after the acquisition, JC shuttered the Colorado plant and now all Optima batteries are made in Mexico. Not to mention that over the last 5 years, JC has invested nearly $3B in opening and expanding production facilities in China.

East Penn only produces here in the USA and exports their products - no imports. They also make an exceptional battery at a competitive price. They've earned my business!

Here's the specs on the Duration Extreme AGM Yellow Cycle that I purchased, for those interested:

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 785
Cranking Amps (CA at 32F): 970
Reserve Capacity (RC): 120
20 Amp Hour Rate: 75
Weight: 42.5 lb

David T
07-01-2013, 11:22 AM
The Delorean is not such an exotic or unusual application that it requires anything more than a good, ordinary lead-acid plate type battery. Any premium branded name is more than enough. Interstate is among them. If you do not allow them to be drained more than 50%, never deep cycle them, keep it fully charged, keep them from freezing, and replace it after around 7 years, they will all last. One way to extend the life of a battery is to always keep it fully charged with a battery tender or similar device if the car is not being used. If your battery is out-gassing a lot it is either defective, being overdrained or overcharged.
David Teitelbaum

BTTF-1
07-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I put a DIE HARD sealed "Maintence Free" Platinum battery in my D. What I like about Die Hard's is that they last a long time. My Truck is on it's third Die Hard. The Truck turns 20 in October. I put a new one in two years ago. I have them in all 4 cars of mine.

Just a thought!
ED

Exolis
07-01-2013, 12:33 PM
The Delorean is not such an exotic or unusual application that it requires anything more than a good, ordinary lead-acid plate type battery. Any premium branded name is more than enough. Interstate is among them. If you do not allow them to be drained more than 50%, never deep cycle them, keep it fully charged, keep them from freezing, and replace it after around 7 years, they will all last. One way to extend the life of a battery is to always keep it fully charged with a battery tender or similar device if the car is not being used. If your battery is out-gassing a lot it is either defective, being overdrained or overcharged.
David Teitelbaum

^^ This nails it on the dot. A battery is a battery, some suppliers have different shapes for their plates and materials and such. If you buy an USA made super battery or a cheap china made battery, they both will need to be replaced if not taken care of properly. Depending on quality will basically make it live longer.

I've always been impressed with JCI, comparing their batteries with Exide, the quality, durability and reliability is a lot better in JCI Batteries. Die Hard is just a brand under Sears Holding Corporation that many other Suppliers like JCI produce.

Not to get into a debate or anything, but outsourcing is a very common thing in the Automotive Industry, the Hemi Engine for example is essentially made in China and Mexico.

NightFlyer
07-01-2013, 01:47 PM
I put a DIE HARD sealed "Maintence Free" Platinum battery in my D. What I like about Die Hard's is that they last a long time. My Truck is on it's third Die Hard. The Truck turns 20 in October. I put a new one in two years ago. I have them in all 4 cars of mine.

Just a thought!
ED

ED - I covered the Die Hard Platinum in my original post - didn't you read it?

They're an advance AGM battery made by EnerSys for Die Hard in Warrensburg, MO, USA. They're essentially a relabeled Odyssey Battery. Probably the best car battery one can buy today, however, as I explained in my original post 1) they're very expensive with the Group 78 ranging in price from $183.99 (limited time promotional) to $259.99, and 2) the Die Hard labeled models have several reports of premature side post failure on the Group 34/78 DT - read the reviews on the Sears link contained in my original post.

Also, EnerSys recently opened their first Chinese production facility - an omen of things to come from EnerSys...

Ron
07-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Missing posts?
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?116-No-political-religion-posts-or-threads-PERIOD!

NightFlyer
07-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Missing posts?
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?116-No-political-religion-posts-or-threads-PERIOD!

I fail to see how the discussion taking place was political. Ideological, yes, but political - certainly not. Perhaps the term "political" can be better defined to prevent future alleged forum rules violations.

And if the discussion does somehow qualify as being "political," then I must ask how this entire thread was allowed to remain, despite it's clearly "political" connotations:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?6964-Just-to-put-things-in-perspective

Thanks!

Ron
07-01-2013, 07:22 PM
I fail to see how the discussion taking place was political. This is because you don't see where things go between visits and it is deleted....
See PM
THX!

NightFlyer
07-01-2013, 08:03 PM
This is because you don't see where things go between visits and it is deleted....
See PM
THX!

Sorry, that last post was made before I saw the PM.

Feel free to delete.

outatym2001
07-04-2013, 03:39 AM
ED - I covered the Die Hard Platinum in my original post - didn't you read it?

Nightflyer thanks for the comprehensive description on the current state of car batteries available.
Yes, I do believe ED did read your post and I believe he was just giving a shout out about how great the Sears Die Hard Platinum battery is. Sure they are expensive and last time I checked the price seems to go up every other year.
I’ve had the Die Hard Platinum battery in my daily driver DeLorean for five years and two months and it’s still going strong. When/if it ever dies I will buy another one. I looked for my receipt but couldn’t find it and I believe I paid about $189.00 before Washington state sales tax. Sears currently says, “Four-year free replacement and 100-month pro-rated manufacturer’s warranty.”

NightFlyer
07-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Nightflyer thanks for the comprehensive description on the current state of car batteries available.
Yes, I do believe ED did read your post and I believe he was just giving a shout out about how great the Sears Die Hard Platinum battery is. Sure they are expensive and last time I checked the price seems to go up every other year.
I’ve had the Die Hard Platinum battery in my daily driver DeLorean for five years and two months and it’s still going strong. When/if it ever dies I will buy another one. I looked for my receipt but couldn’t find it and I believe I paid about $189.00 before Washington state sales tax. Sears currently says, “Four-year free replacement and 100-month pro-rated manufacturer’s warranty.”

Several purchasers of the Die Hard Platinum group 34/78 DT have reported premature failure of the side terminals, which is my biggest concern about this battery - check the reviews on Sears' website. 7 out of 24 reviews, or 30%, have reported this problem.

To date, I've been unable to find a negative review about an AGM battery manufactured by East Penn, including the Die Hard Advanced Gold AGM Series (not the regular gold series). If you're interested in saving $43 and getting near equivalent performance and a near identical warranty, 36 month free replacement and 100 month pro-rated, you may want to check out the Advanced Gold AGM:

http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanced-gold-agm-battery-group-size-78/p-02850778000P?prdNo=46

David T
07-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Several purchasers of the Die Hard Platinum group 34/78 DT have reported premature failure of the side terminals, which is my biggest concern about this battery - check the reviews on Sears' website. 7 out of 24 reviews, or 30%, have reported this problem.

To date, I've been unable to find a negative review about an AGM battery manufactured by East Penn, including the Die Hard Advanced Gold AGM Series (not the regular gold series). If you're interested in saving $43 and getting near equivalent performance and a near identical warranty, 36 month free replacement and 100 month pro-rated, you may want to check out the Advanced Gold AGM:

http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanced-gold-agm-battery-group-size-78/p-02850778000P?prdNo=46

The biggest reason for premature failure of side terminal batteries (the terminals themselves) is from overtightening the fastener. Doesn't surprise me it's Sears, they have kids putting them in and they want to be sure they get it TIGHT!
David Teitelbaum

NightFlyer
07-04-2013, 03:48 PM
The biggest reason for premature failure of side terminal batteries (the terminals themselves) is from overtightening the fastener. Doesn't surprise me it's Sears, they have kids putting them in and they want to be sure they get it TIGHT!
David Teitelbaum

True, but sometimes the factory battery cable connectors necessitate a tight connection in order to get a proper seat. Several GM and Chrysler vehicle's I've personally owned were like this.

Bitsyncmaster
07-04-2013, 05:28 PM
I use a bolt and nut on my D battery terminals. That way the bolt is threaded all the way in with no pressure and the nut clamps the lugs tights.

David T
07-04-2013, 10:39 PM
I use a bolt and nut on my D battery terminals. That way the bolt is threaded all the way in with no pressure and the nut clamps the lugs tights.

You are still applying pressure on the case when you tighten the nut. What you are doing does not prevent you from overtightening and damaging the battery terminal and the case. If you cannot get a good connection without overtightening the screw you should replace the terminal end on the cable or the whole cable. Make sure the terminal on the battery is clean and shiny and the threads are in good shape. If you are leaking acid or the terminal gets corroded it means the terminal was overtightened and now the battery case seal is leaking. There is no way to fix it except to replace the battery. The other failure mode is sudden and complete loss of power because the battery terminal has broken from the plates inside. Again, because the terminal was overtightened at some point in the past.
David Teitelbaum

DMCMW Dave
05-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Not mine but for a customer - he requested an Optima Battery. That brand.

I don't normally sell them and my normal battery guy said it would take a few weeks. (!?). So I go get one from Pep*Boys, listed online as an Optima dealer. After taking few days to get there (I insisted on the no-top-terminal size 78 battery), I picked up and installed it in the car. No start. Argh. . . Put AGM charger on it, after a short while "Bad BAT". Then I noticed the 4/11 sticker on the side of the battery. Yes - they sold me a THREE YEAR OLD battery. All batteries are date coded, make sure anything you buy is fresh.

Of course it went back.

Something to watch for, and if you really want a fresh Optima battery, order it from them directly. But I'm sure there are better options.

We normally sell standard Interstate batteries and have no problems with them.

D Knight
05-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Dave, call oreilly on the optima. It's usually in stock and they are rotated every month to be sure that getting an old one will never happen.

On another not I've had an Exide AGM die prematurely on me. I put an optima in and here we are 9 years later and it still starts fine. I'm expecting it to die this year. But you never know.

-D Knight-

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Not mine but for a customer - he requested an Optima Battery. That brand.

I don't normally sell them and my normal battery guy said it would take a few weeks. (!?). So I go get one from Pep*Boys, listed online as an Optima dealer. After taking few days to get there (I insisted on the no-top-terminal size 78 battery), I picked up and installed it in the car. No start. Argh. . . Put AGM charger on it, after a short while "Bad BAT". Then I noticed the 4/11 sticker on the side of the battery. Yes - they sold me a THREE YEAR OLD battery. All batteries are date coded, make sure anything you buy is fresh.

Of course it went back.

Something to watch for, and if you really want a fresh Optima battery, order it from them directly. But I'm sure there are better options.

We normally sell standard Interstate batteries and have no problems with them.

Optimas are made in Mexico JUNK! Your customer would have gotten more satisfaction by flushing their money down the toilet.

Yeah, that's right - I said it :deviltail:

But I'm only being completely honest here.

Your customer would have been better off getting the Interstate AGM from you - it's a much higher quality battery, rivaling the top rated Odyssey.

But I understand your position - anything for a customer, even when they're wrong... :p

BTW - You can charge an AGM with a regular charger - just make sure that you're not putting more than 14.4V into the battery via the charger.

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Dave, call oreilly on the optima. It's usually in stock and they are rotated every month to be sure that getting an old one will never happen.

On another not I've had an Exide AGM die prematurely on me. I put an optima in and here we are 9 years later and it still starts fine. I'm expecting it to die this year. But you never know.

-D Knight-

Although most Exides are made in USA, they aren't very good batteries, as they're made of significantly inferior components. Exide repeatedly lowered the quality of their components, as they were more interested in spending their money on NASCAR sponsorships and attempting to stave off having to file for bankruptcy protection (I believe that the latest filing was either their third or fourth). It's a shame too, as they had some pretty neat ideas, such as infusing the AGM plates with graphite.

Thus, I cannot in good conscience recommend any Exide battery.

For a good and high value made in USA battery, I highly suggest anything made by East Penn Manufacturing Co. If money is no object, then Odysseys are the current king. My third option would be anything made in USA by Johnson Controls (this includes many Interstate branded batteries).

DMCMW Dave
05-18-2014, 04:42 PM
But I understand your position - anything for a customer, even when they're wrong... :p

BTW - You can charge an AGM with a regular charger - just make sure that you're not putting more than 14.4V into the battery via the charger.

Sometimes. I had him go buy the Optima himself, I'll install it. I'd rather do it that way anyway so he can deal with (any) warranty issues locally. The battery in the car is OK so I have no problem otherwise running the car.
-------------------------
My charger has an AGM setting.
-------------------------
PS - we had another car come in here with a 2-year old Optima that was dead. They agreed to warranty the battery. It only took 4 MONTHS to get a replacement. Luckily the car was here for the winter anyway, but I can't imagine waiting for 4 months for a daily-driver battery.

I've never tried Interstate's AGM but it's probably a good battery. I've had zero issues with their conventional batteries. It's a very good company to deal with.

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 05:27 PM
My charger has an AGM setting.

Sounds like a very nice charger :thumbup:

I use an old Sears branded roll around from the early '80's, long before AGMs existed on the consumer market anyway. The 12V setting on it actually outputs right around 12Vs, thus no worries on AGMs.

The thing you have to look out for is many of the cheap (ie made in China/Taiwan/Philippines/etc) chargers, and especially the so-called fast chargers/boosters, that are on the market nowadays will actually output in excess of 16V. While this won't necessarily damage a traditional flooded lead acid battery, it will wreck an AGM or gel cell battery in as little as a single charge at such voltages. AGMs should never be charged at a voltage in excess of 14.4V, and even that isn't ideal, but tolerable. For maximum life expectancy, AGMs prefer a nice and consistent (regulated) 12V.

PS - we had another car come in here with a 2-year old Optima that was dead. They agreed to warranty the battery. It only took 4 MONTHS to get a replacement. Luckily the car was here for the winter anyway, but I can't imagine waiting for 4 months for a daily-driver battery.

I've never tried Interstate's AGM but it's probably a good battery. I've had zero issues with their conventional batteries. It's a very good company to deal with.

WOW - What a nightmare! Hard to believe, given that Optima is owned by Johnson Controls, same as Interstate. Two different names/divisions under the same parent corp, and yet totally different customer service experiences. Optima wasn't like that when they were independent and made in Colorado - back then, it was very customer responsive. Johnson Controls essentially bought the name/status/reputation, cheapened the product and labor (by moving the plant to Mexico), increased production capacity, and kept a somewhat premium price on the product. Brilliant business - until a majority of your customer base catches on. Unfortunately, in the current state of our nation, consumers just don't pay attention anymore like they used to... but I digress.

The Interstate AGM actually has a higher list price than the competing Odyssey. Not sure what the authorized retailer's wholesale or list price is, but it's a very expensive battery. I know of only one person (not a DeLorean owner) who is running one, and he couldn't be happier with how it performs. It does weigh a TON - so if weight is any indication of quality (as it used to be), then I have no reason to doubt his claims of success :biggrin:

Bitsyncmaster
05-18-2014, 05:41 PM
To get a full charge on a battery you need greater than 12 volts. I usally use my bench power supply and set the voltage at 13.5 or a little less. With that voltage I can see the current drops to almost zero when the battery is fully charged. That way I can just leave it on charge and not worry about overcharging. When your battery is low the current can exceed 5 amps with that setting so I set the max current to 5 amps. I charge through the cig liter so don't want more than 5 amps there.

hmcelraft
05-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Optimas are made in Mexico JUNK! Your customer would have gotten more satisfaction by flushing their money down the toilet.

Yeah, that's right - I said it :deviltail:

But I'm only being completely honest here.

Your customer would have been better off getting the Interstate AGM from you - it's a much higher quality battery, rivaling the top rated Odyssey.

:rolleyes1: Stay calm amigo

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 05:46 PM
To get a full charge on a battery you need greater than 12 volts. I usally use my bench power supply and set the voltage at 13.5 or a little less. With that voltage I can see the current drops to almost zero when the battery is fully charged. That way I can just leave it on charge and not worry about overcharging. When your battery is low the current can exceed 5 amps with that setting so I set the max current to 5 amps.

Correct - my trusty old Sears on the 12V setting is actually outputting 12.7V, which is why I said 'around.' It also allows you to set the maximum current. I like using 5 amps as the ceiling on current as well, as I prefer to trickle charge :thumbup:

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 05:51 PM
:rolleyes1: Stay calm amigo

I'm calm - I just don't like current Optimas and am not afraid to say it. I've had too many friends and family get burned by their inferior product sold at a near premium price.

Made in Colorado USA Optimas are a different story though - they were a good battery (if not the best at the time).

DMCMW Dave
05-18-2014, 06:02 PM
WOW - What a nightmare! Hard to believe, given that Optima is owned by Johnson Controls, same as Interstate. .
:

Actually Interstate is not "Owned" by Johnson - Johnson is the subcontract manufacturer. Among others.

Michael
05-18-2014, 06:25 PM
I have had my car 5 years now, and on my second Yellow Top. The first one(bought new by me) lasted about 2 years. I have not been impressed with them at all. When(notice I didn't say "if") this battery fails prematurely, I will be getting a nice top of the line Interstate rather than pay the pro-rate warranty cost on another Optima. I have never been afraid to spend money to insure that I get top quality, and since my car doesn't get driven daily, I wanted the best battery I could get.

I have since learned the best is not always the most expensive. I will never buy another Optima.

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 06:39 PM
Actually Interstate is not "Owned" by Johnson - Johnson is the subcontract manufacturer. Among others.

True that - I totally forgot about the actual relationship between Interstate and JCI. :thumbup:

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 06:50 PM
I have had my car 5 years now, and on my second Yellow Top. The first one(bought new by me) lasted about 2 years. I have not been impressed with them at all. When(notice I didn't say "if") this battery fails prematurely, I will be getting a nice top of the line Interstate rather than pay the pro-rate warranty cost on another Optima. I have never been afraid to spend money to insure that I get top quality, and since my car doesn't get driven daily, I wanted the best battery I could get.

I have since learned the best is not always the most expensive. I will never buy another Optima.

If you want the best, Odyssey is the current king of the crop.

The Interstate AGM would be the second best (they might even be made by EnerSys for Interstate - don't really know much about them and info is scarce).

If you're looking for best value for your dollar though, then an East Penn AGM is hard to beat. I'm very happy with my house brand labeled East Penn AGM (Duration Extreme - Blain's Farm and Fleet), but am admittedly only going on my second year with it in the DeLorean. Others on the forum have reported being very happy using the Duracell and Sears Die Hard labeled AGMs from East Penn for many multiple years.

DMCMW Dave
05-18-2014, 07:20 PM
If you want the best, Odyssey is the current king of the crop.

The Interstate AGM would be the second best (they might even be made by EnerSys for Interstate - don't really know much about them and info is scarce).

IIRC Interstate Rep called his version an "Enersys" so that's probably it. It was about the same price as the Optima. He said that they "could get" Optima but tried to talk me out of it. I should have listened. . . .

Nicholas R
05-18-2014, 07:36 PM
I have one of the Duracell AGM batteries from SAMs. It replaced my Optima red top that died a month after the warranty ran out. The Duracell has been great. Not sure how long the Optima was going out for but it would periodically have too little output to mesh my starter and flywheel. Ever since the Duracell, boom, perfect start every time. Had to replace my trucks 10yr old factory battery last month and went with another Duracell (not the AGM though). I love them; priced well and a warranty as good as optima.

Bitsyncmaster
05-18-2014, 07:58 PM
What gets me mad about batteries is they are making them with caps so you have to top them off with water every so often. That was not so bad in old cars but todays cars have a battery box that is a little work to remove just to check the level.

Of course the price jumped suddenly years ago. That was a shocker. You could pick up a $40 battery at Kmart or Sears. Now with core charge it's tough to find one less than a $100

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 07:58 PM
IIRC Interstate Rep called his version an "Enersys" so that's probably it. It was about the same price as the Optima. He said that they "could get" Optima but tried to talk me out of it. I should have listened. . . .

That makes sense. So, essentially, the Odyssey Extreme 78-PC1500, Interstate MT7-78, and Die Hard Platinum 34/78DT are pretty much the same batteries, with just minor variations. All are made by Enersys and a top quality battery. Note that many users of the Die Hard Platinum 34/78DT have reported issues with faulty side terminals, thus it's probably best to stick with the Interstate or Odyssey, although users of the Die Hard Platinum on this forum have reported positively on them.

All 3 have a 48 month (4 year) free replacement warranty.

Odyssey Extreme 78-PC1500 http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_battery_specs.aspx

CCA: 850
Reserve Capacity (minutes): 135
Weight: 49.5 lbs

Interstate MT7-78 http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ntk~SearchGroup|78+agm7|3|,Arpp ~12,A~Part+Number,N~4294784989-4256630784-4256630783-2147384903-4256630782-2147384906,Nr~AND%28P_unique_id%3aInterstate+Batte ries+AMT7-78+MT7-78%29

CCA: 800
Reserve Capacity (minutes): 115
Weight: 47.5lbs

Sears Die Hard Platinum 34/78DT http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-automotive-battery-group-size-34-78dt-price/p-02851090000P?prdNo=39

CCA: 740
Reserve Capactiy (minutes): 135
Weight: 53lbs

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 07:59 PM
I have one of the Duracell AGM batteries from SAMs. It replaced my Optima red top that died a month after the warranty ran out. The Duracell has been great. Not sure how long the Optima was going out for but it would periodically have too little output to mesh my starter and flywheel. Ever since the Duracell, boom, perfect start every time. Had to replace my trucks 10yr old factory battery last month and went with another Duracell (not the AGM though). I love them; priced well and a warranty as good as optima.

That's East Penn quality and value - good stuff :thumbup:

Same battery that I have - only real difference is the case and label.

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 08:03 PM
What gets me mad about batteries is they are making them with caps so you have to top them off with water every so often. That was not so bad in old cars but todays cars have a battery box that is a little work to remove just to check the level.

Of course the price jumped suddenly years ago. That was a shocker. You could pick up a $40 battery at Kmart or Sears. Now with core charge it's tough to find one less than a $100

AGMs are sealed / maintenance free.

If you fry one after the warranty has expired, it's possible to pull the caps, refill with distilled water, and possibly revive them, however, you're on your own when attempting this.

Core charges on car batteries are often a function of government regulation as opposed to retailer policy.

David T
05-18-2014, 11:09 PM
The Optimas have a spotty record. I hear of some that have no problems for many years and some bad right out of the box. Some last a year or 2 and die. You pay a premium for them and do not get a whole lot for it. A Delorean will work just fine with a plain old lead-acid battery as long as it is well made. Interstate has a good reputation and you can expect the battery to last at least 5 years if you don't overcharge it, freeze it, or let it go dead. P J Grady had problems with them and could not recharge them. The Optima rep told him to go out and buy a $200 battery charger which needed an electrician to install a 220 V plug to power it. He no longer encourages customers to get an Optima battery. At one car show there was a rep from Optima trying to squash rumors of how bad the Optimas are. Damage control. Spend your money somewhere else and just get a regular battery. Sears often has good sales, they have a very liberal pro-rata policy and you can go to any Sears in the country as long as you have the sales receipt. In many States you need to return the core or they hit you with a big core charge. The State's way of encouraging you to recycle and a way for them to make more money! If you don't use the car over the winter, remove the battery and charge it once a month for 1 day. Keep it in a warm place on a piece of wood. Have it tested every year and figure replacing it after 5-6 years.

Mark D
05-19-2014, 02:54 PM
I chose to go with an Interstate battery because of a work related discount I got...I got it direct from an Interstate retail shop an not from a big box store. I've been told that they use fresh lead and not recycled. Does anyone know if that actually makes a difference?

David T
05-19-2014, 03:24 PM
I chose to go with an Interstate battery because of a work related discount I got...I got it direct from an Interstate retail shop an not from a big box store. I've been told that they use fresh lead and not recycled. Does anyone know if that actually makes a difference?

Lead is one of the MOST recycled (and recyclable) metals in the world. If it is properly recycled there is nothing wrong with it. It is when it is smelted and or recycled and they do not remove all of the impurities that you can have a problem.

NightFlyer
05-19-2014, 04:01 PM

Interstate is just a brand label - they don't actually manufacturer any of the products that carry their name. Instead, they contract with manufacturers such as JCI (Johnson Controls) and Enersys, to produce products to their specifications or standards.

Whether only fresh lead is used in their batteries, I honestly couldn't tell you. As David said, it's not so much about whether the lead is recycled that defines the quality of a good battery, but rather the purity of the the lead used in the final product. One of Enersys' (Odyssey, Die Hard Platinum, Interstate MT7, etc) big selling points is that they only use 99.99% pure lead, whereas much of the competition only refines to their lead to a 95% purity or even openly use a lead alloy, such as the lead alloy that is found in nearly all Exide batteries.

If you want pure lead, then there's no beating an Enersys battery.

OverlandMan
05-26-2014, 01:38 PM
So after a winter of not driving my car due to my fuel system rebuild, I tried charging my Autozone/Oreilly battery that was in the car when I got it 2 years ago and it won't take a charge.

I thought I would search and peruse through related threads on this topic and came across this one. Lots of good info here... but one thing I didn't see discussed unless I missed something, is what about those of us who only drive our cars 2,3, maybe 4 times per month? Is AGM or lead acid technology better for infrequent drivers? I know most battery people will say letting the cars sit and not run will kill any battery over time, but my question is what's the best option for this scenario?

And no, I'm not planning to spend more than $150 on a battery.

DMCMW Dave
05-26-2014, 02:32 PM
I thought I would search and peruse through related threads on this topic and came across this one. Lots of good info here... but one thing I didn't see discussed unless I missed something, is what about those of us who only drive our cars 2,3, maybe 4 times per month? Is AGM or lead acid technology better for infrequent drivers? I know most battery people will say letting the cars sit and not run will kill any battery over time, but my question is what's the best option for this scenario?

Get a really good battery tender-type charger. "Battery Tender" or "C-TEK" are good ones.

Also get a battery disconnect of some type, they last a lot longer if not keeping the radio/clock etc. alive.

David T
05-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Get a really good battery tender-type charger. "Battery Tender" or "C-TEK" are good ones.

Also get a battery disconnect of some type, they last a lot longer if not keeping the radio/clock etc. alive.

The way to keep a battery in good shape for a long time is to:
Never let it freeze
Never let it get too hot
Never let it discharge a lot or often
A battery is not like a sponge, if you deep cycle it often or do not keep it fully charged you reduce it's capacity and it's life. If you are not using it often disconnect it and charge it for 1 day every 30 days. If the car is in storage the battery should be removed. Under the best circumstances a battery is not meant to last more than 5 years.

OverlandMan
05-26-2014, 03:57 PM
The way to keep a battery in good shape for a long time is to:
Never let it freeze
Never let it get too hot
Never let it discharge a lot or often
A battery is not like a sponge, if you deep cycle it often or do not keep it fully charged you reduce it's capacity and it's life. If you are not using it often disconnect it and charge it for 1 day every 30 days. If the car is in storage the battery should be removed. Under the best circumstances a battery is not meant to last more than 5 years.

Right... and I got that. But what type of battery is typically better for infrequent use, AGM or flooded lead-acid? Or does it matter?

Also, anyone installed a battery cut-off cleanly in their DeLorean? I'd like to see a pic if anyone has one? I assume you cut off the (+) side.

DMCMW Dave
05-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Right... and I got that. But what type of battery is typically better for infrequent use, AGM or flooded lead-acid? Or does it matter?

Also, anyone installed a battery cut-off cleanly in their DeLorean? I'd like to see a pic if anyone has one? I assume you cut off the (+) side.

You can cut off the plus side. It's easier to get to and not much danger of a short from the other side still being connected. The instructions will typically tell you to put it on the negative side as this reduces the danger of a short in a typical installation in the engine compartment.

We sell this one but there are others.

For example:

IMO the battery technology will not make a difference. If you discharge either type and let it sit like that, it will fail.

DMC5180
05-26-2014, 06:33 PM
IMO the battery technology will not make a difference. If you discharge either type and let it sit like that, it will fail.

Failure is pretty much guaranteed in this circumstance.

Dave's cut-off switch has extended my (RED TOP) battery several driving seasons since installation and religious use of it. Prior to that I was always having short life issues, which were solely MY fault for NOT properly taking care of my battery in the off season.

At least now if I forget to do an off-season maintenance charge the battery is still nearly full come spring just being disconnected 5 months.

OverlandMan
05-26-2014, 06:40 PM
Excellent info and pics. Thanks guys

NightFlyer
05-26-2014, 06:56 PM
A battery designed for deep cycling will offer you the best benefit.

The technology used in the construction of the battery really doesn't make a difference in the regard to which you inquired. The primary reason I like an AGM in our application is less potential for outgassing, as the compartment is right below the electrical brain center of our cars, and acidic gasses tend to corrode and tarnish metals.

If you're leaving the battery in the car, then the best options are a cut-off and/or a tender, as already discussed.

OverlandMan
05-27-2014, 09:25 AM
A battery designed for deep cycling will offer you the best benefit.

The technology used in the construction of the battery really doesn't make a difference in the regard to which you inquired. The primary reason I like an AGM in our application is less potential for outgassing, as the compartment is right below the electrical brain center of our cars, and acidic gasses tend to corrode and tarnish metals.

If you're leaving the battery in the car, then the best options are a cut-off and/or a tender, as already discussed.

Hey Josh - how do you like your yellow-cycle Duration Extreme from Farm & Fleet? I was looking around with those links you provided and all I can find currently is a red-cycle @ $130 from that vendor.

NightFlyer
05-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Hey Josh - how do you like your yellow-cycle Duration Extreme from Farm & Fleet? I was looking around with those links you provided and all I can find currently is a red-cycle @ $130 from that vendor.

So far, so good. I ran it down pretty low (didn't pull it in time over winter storage, and it got COLD here), but she charged right back up without issue and is holding just fine :thumbup: Only my second year with it thus far, but so far, so good! When running it last year, I never noticed light dimming from system drain, and I'm still running the Ducey alternator.

I noticed that Farm & Fleet was no longer carrying the Duration Extreme yellow cycle - that sucks!

But not to fear, the same battery is still available, and at close to just as nice of a price, $139.95, from Battery Service Corporation under the 'Yellow Dog' label. IMHO, this battery would suit your needs/wants/desires perfectly and I don't think you'll find a better match for the money:

http://www.batteryservice.com/products_final.aspx?Manufacturer=Yellow+Dog&ModelNumber=9A78DT

http://www.batteryservice.com/images/products/big/9A78DT.jpg

OverlandMan
05-27-2014, 04:34 PM
So far, so good. I ran it down pretty low (didn't pull it in time over winter storage, and it got COLD here), but she charged right back up without issue and is holding just fine :thumbup: Only my second year with it thus far, but so far, so good! When running it last year, I never noticed light dimming from system drain, and I'm still running the Ducey alternator.

I noticed that Farm & Fleet was no longer carrying the Duration Extreme yellow cycle - that sucks!

But not to fear, the same battery is still available, and at close to just as nice of a price, $139.95, from Battery Service Corporation under the 'Yellow Dog' label. IMHO, this battery would suit your needs/wants/desires perfectly and I don't think you'll find a better match for the money:

http://www.batteryservice.com/products_final.aspx?Manufacturer=Yellow+Dog&ModelNumber=9A78DT

http://www.batteryservice.com/images/products/big/9A78DT.jpg

Excellent - thanks for the feedback and info sir. I'll be ordering one in the next day or two so hopefully I'll be in business by the weekend. :thumbup:

Exolis
05-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Why exactly would a Deep Cycle be better? Certain application of some sort?

OverlandMan
05-27-2014, 05:16 PM
Why exactly would a Deep Cycle be better? Certain application of some sort?

As I understand it, and others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, a deep cycle battery has a better chance of recovering/recharging from significant discharge. I'm guessing there's other stuff too but that's at least what I've read in the past.

NightFlyer
05-27-2014, 05:21 PM
As I understand it, and others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, a deep cycle battery has a better chance of recovering/recharging from significant discharge. I'm guessing there's other stuff too but that's at least what I've read in the past.

You got it - they're designed to withstand the rigors of being deeply discharged and then fully recovering (kind of like a lithium based rechargeable used in mobile electronics) multiple times. Although it's still best to prevent deep discharges when ever possible to enjoy the maximum longevity of the battery.

In the past, the trade off was that deep cycles weren't capable of providing the CCA power of a standard cycle battery, however, designs and technology have advanced to the point where you can now have both in a single package :thumbup:

I run deep cycle batteries in all my vehicles.

Bitsyncmaster
05-27-2014, 05:27 PM
If you leave your stock D for 2 or 3 months without running that will drain about half the charge.

You can also leave a light on accidentally and drain the battery quickly.

OverlandMan
05-27-2014, 05:35 PM
If you leave your stock D for 2 or 3 months without running that will drain about half the charge.

That makes me feel better. I was thinking I had a problematic draw somewhere. Now I know I just have a problematic automobile. :smile:

NightFlyer
05-27-2014, 05:52 PM

When I finally pulled my battery during this last winter's hibernation, after about 3 months of -30F ambient temps, it didn't have enough charge left in it to operate Tomcio's LED door lights, but it was still registering some negligible voltage (it wasn't pegged to 0).

I trickle charged it for roughly 30 hours. She's been holding 12.8V just fine ever since the charging - that's East Penn quality and value :thumbup:

Flash66
06-04-2014, 04:48 AM

Very true!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk