PDA

View Full Version : Flux3d's LED CLock

OverlandMan
07-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Full review can be seen here: http://dmctx.blogspot.com/2013/07/led-clock.html

I'm very happy with this solution.

flux3d
07-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the great review. What can I say I'm thrilled that your so pleased with it and it looks great in those pics . looks like you havea very nicely presented car as well.

Anyone wanting one of these please pm me or email me [email protected].

$105 including postage and packaging.

I'm also looking into creating a version with smaller digits similar to the original size on the OEM clock. I'll pay on here wheni have stock ready.

DeLorean03
07-03-2013, 10:08 PM
PM answered and sent (:.

DeLorean03
07-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Jeff,

Did you use the original wires where the OEM clock plugged in as your ground and ignition sources? If not, where did you tap in for each respectfully? I ordered one of these from Mark, and just wanted to ask ahead of time. Thanks!

OverlandMan
07-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Jeff,

Did you use the original wires where the OEM clock plugged in as your ground and ignition sources? If not, where did you tap in for each respectfully? I ordered one of these from Mark, and just wanted to ask ahead of time. Thanks!

Jeremiah - I sent you a PM regarding this. In short, yes I cut the plug off the dead original clock and spliced it into my new one (only needing the ground and the keyed hot).

DeLorean03
07-10-2013, 06:28 PM
I just got my unit in today. Man, this sucker is beefy. Mark did a spectacular job with this clock. I can't wait to install it in a lil' while.

Definitely worth the money on build quality alone.

DeLorean03
07-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Just wanted to take a moment and share in this thread. I just got done installing mine, and man, this was well worth its money. The numbers are crazy-big, ultra-bright (LED powered), and clearly readable. The design is darn stout; Mark did a flipping fantastic job. $105 was a steal for this.

Seeing as how this was a prototype, when he gets to making the production version (smaller digits and 12 hour time instead of military 24 hour time IIRC), I highly recommend picking one up!

flux3d
08-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback. I've tried to make them as strong as possible, so its great to know people appreciate the build quality. In my book if you're going to make something you make it as well as you can.

Thanks for the pictures Delorean03. Looking at them it seems like the horizontal position could do with some adjustment. I designed it so that you can move it horizontally to get the best fit for the display. Its held in position by the top plate and a polypropylene wedge which may have comes loose in transit.

Looking good though!

The new units are just about there and should be ready to order before the week is out.

DeLorean03
08-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the pictures Delorean03. Looking at them it seems like the horizontal position could do with some adjustment. I designed it so that you can move it horizontally to get the best fit for the display.

Looking good though!

The new units are just a

Yeah, when I had that ground joint go bad, I learned that really quickly ;). Will be taking new pictures again when it gets re-installed.

MikeWard
08-06-2013, 03:36 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback. I've tried to make them as strong as possible, so its great to know people appreciate the build quality. In my book if you're going to make something you make it as well as you can.

Thanks for the pictures Delorean03. Looking at them it seems like the horizontal position could do with some adjustment. I designed it so that you can move it horizontally to get the best fit for the display. Its held in position by the top plate and a polypropylene wedge which may have comes loose in transit.

Looking good though!

The new units are just about there and should be ready to order before the week is out.

Is there a confirmed feature list for the new versions? I know the size of the display is being made smaller.

Are you also incorporating the dimming function?
12 hour time format?
Programming the clock per OEM with the 2 pegs per the original?

Shep
08-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Just got done installing mine yesterday. I got the blue "prototype" version ($20 extra for blue), and damn it looks sharp! Very bright, fits like a glove, easy to set, truly spectacular!

http://vin559.com/images/work_done/clock/resized/flux3d_clock_02_640.jpg

http://vin559.com/images/work_done/clock/resized/flux3d_clock_01_640.jpg

I'm extremely satisfied with this unit. Today was the first time I drove since installing the clock, and I actually used it for once! :giddy: It's awesome to finally have a clock with battery backup that's always reliable. No more checking my phone! It only has two wires, so it uses zero power when the key is off, even with the battery connected. Could not have asked for a better unit.

It doesn't come with a plug, so you have to splice the wires manually (use insulated plugs so you can disconnect it later if need be). I disconnected the rheostat and used a current tester to check when each wire got power, cross-referencing the car schematic for accuracy. The original clock has four wires as follows:

Black - Ground
Green - Keyed hot (gets power when key is turned to "accessory")
Red - Power from rheostat (left of the clock)
Purple - Always hot

This clock comes with two wires, black and red. I connected the blacks together and the car's green to the clock's red, and it works like a charm! The blue gives it that more modern touch, and really "pops" against the black interior. Cannot recommend this highly enough! :thumbup:

flux3d
08-15-2013, 04:54 AM
Here is the new version of the clock. The new version features a smaller display which is more in keeping with the size of the original OEM clock.

New smaller display
battery backup when the clock is off
Time adjustment with a single button
bright and clear display
solid construction
24H clock
available in green and blue

The new versions are $125, which includes postage to the US via recorded, signed for air mail.

In addition I'm also offering a new service where text or an image/design can be laser etched onto the lower part of the clock lens to customise the look of the clock. All you need to do is send me an image (black and white best) or the text you want adding to the lens. $25 extra for this service. I'll be doing a sample soon and will upload pictures for everyone to see.

Either contact me through here, or at [email protected]

flux3d
08-15-2013, 04:58 AM
for some reason the thumbnails of the pictures didn't show on here, so here they are.

Oh, and forgot to say Shep the interior is looking very sharp indeed! Love the look of everything you've done. Top notch work there. Interesting stereo you have there as well. Does it pop out or something?

Patrick C
08-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Looks great! Do you have any plans to make a 12 hour version?

flux3d
08-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Not at the moment. Everything else electrical is 24H, so not to sure of the benefit (other than being more OEM). Maybe in the future I'll engineer a 12H dim-able version, but not right now. I know people have asked for it, but most of the clock modules seem to be 24H, so it would mean a completely new PCB and circuit. I'm looking into it, but its not a priority right now.

What I'm saying is don't wait around for a 12H version as I'm unsure if/when it will be developed.

Shep
08-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Oh, and forgot to say Shep the interior is looking very sharp indeed! Love the look of everything you've done. Top notch work there. Interesting stereo you have there as well. Does it pop out or something?Thanks! :) It's actually a two-part thing; the bottom half is a slide-out cupholder, and the top half is a slide-out drawer. I never listen to the radio anyways, so I opted to switch it for a cupholder (which means, thanks to your clock, my power draw with the key off is now zero! :yesss: )

flux3d
09-10-2013, 05:16 PM
he units are selling fairly quick, both here in the USA and in Europe, and I'm thrilled with the feedback from people so far. With Autumn and Winter approaching, and the inevitable various jobs that will probably be keeping me busy (VOD cleaning and possibly another mk2 VW golf project to keep me busy) I'm reducing the price of the clock units to $105, which as always includes postage and packaging!

The stock I have left is as follows:

12 X Green smaller (OEM size).
3 X Blue smaller (OEM size).
2 X Green larger sized digits.

First come first served on these, especially the blue smaller units, which have proved popular.

Message me on here or [email protected] if interested.

andy blackmon
09-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Monday I installed the new clock ----black to black and red to red. The dang clock was on all the time. I read Shep post yesterday and went back and put the red on the clock onto the green wire, he was right . The clock now is on only when the key is on-----thank you Shep for the info. I love the blue clock it matches all the other blue things I have installed.

Shep
09-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Monday I installed the new clock ----black to black and red to red. The dang clock was on all the time. I read Shep post yesterday and went back and put the red on the clock onto the green wire, he was right . The clock now is on only when the key is on-----thank you Shep for the info.No problem! Glad I could help :thumbup:

Mike F
09-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Just finished installing mine. The fit and finish of this part is fantastic. Looks like it came from the factory!

flux3d
10-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Thanks Mike for the kind words. I tried to make it as good (if not better...) than the original. So far the feedback has been awesome. Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

I have a few still left, so if people want them let me know...

On another note I'm working on a rear brake strip light to fit to the louvers. It'll be using two strips of red surface mounted LED's and a custom lens assembly, and will fit either side of the central strut on the louver. Watch this space for details of a prototype.

Mark

dmruschell
11-26-2013, 12:35 AM
As soon as there's a 12 hour version of the clock, you'll be getting my money. I just witnessed an install of your current offering, and it looked great!

flux3d
01-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Hi guys. I've decided, as a kind of late January sale, to reduce the cost of these units down to $95. This includes post and packaging to the USA. This might be you're last chance to get hold of one of these clock for a while. I've not ordered in any more parts for these versions, and the new version has had to take a back seat due to demands of work. (always the way huh). Therefore I'm clearing all my stock of these units that I have.

I have:-

8 small green, OEM LED clocks

1 small blue OEM LED clock

3 larger size green LED clocks

1 larger size blue LED clock

Once these are gone they are gone, and at present I have no intention of making any more for a while, so get in quick!

message me on here, or email me at [email protected]

FPBBrandon
01-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Hi guys. I've decided, as a kind of late January sale, to reduce the cost of these units down to $95. This includes post and packaging to the USA. This might be you're last chance to get hold of one of these clock for a while. I've not ordered in any more parts for these versions, and the new version has had to take a back seat due to demands of work. (always the way huh). Therefore I'm clearing all my stock of these units that I have.

I have:-

8 small green, OEM LED clocks

1 small blue OEM LED clock

3 larger size green LED clocks

1 larger size blue LED clock

Once these are gone they are gone, and at present I have no intention of making any more for a while, so get in quick!

message me on here, or email me at [email protected]

In for one small green, money sent. Very excited!

tyb323
01-16-2014, 05:13 PM
I got mine a few months ago (the one dmruschell is talking about). One note to buyers, don't be a goof like me and overtighten the clock! I broke the plastic on one side, but glue has set everything right! It's nice to have a working clock!

Jonathan
01-22-2014, 09:46 PM

Just out of curiosity, is this picture of the backside of the clock that Mike posted how they adjustment button wires were intended to be routed? Mine were not tucked in like that when it arrived. I am wondering also if when the wires get tucked in to the back cavity whether it will firm or snug up the fit of the button itself as mine has a fair bit of room to move when you press on it. It's a good fit but just an extra mm or whatever of space and the button board moves slightly when you press it and I wasn't sure if this was the way it is or not.

If anyone has other photos of one not yet installed that could show a few more angles of the wiring or the button from the side perhaps I'd like to see how mine differs and what I can do to correct it. I haven't ruled out that the package was opened by our friends at the border/customs and they were effing with it, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet.

Mike F
01-22-2014, 11:31 PM
I couldn't remember off the top of my head if the wires were like that when it arrived or if I did that, so I went back and looked at the pics I took after unpacking it. The wires were tucked in just as they are in the pic above. Just figured I'd check and make sure for you.

Jonathan
01-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Ok, thanks Mike. I think I can handle tucking the wires in to match that. Mine was routed over and around the acrylic, so I'll take the top off and route it under to get to the switch/button location. I'll see if the extra thickness of wiring being in there firms up how well the button sits in its place. Thanks.

flux3d
02-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Well, it's been nearly a year since the whole "clock gate" sarga and my I thought I'd put an idea out to everyone. I now have access to a 3D printer, and was thinking about creating a new clock based around similar electronics as before. Indeed, similar to this clock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1-Blu...item4abaa780a9

Now, let me make it very clear, for fear of starting up another "flame him" thread, this would be me importing the clock electronics and putting them into a really nice, quality, perfect fitting, new clock module and selling it for about the same price as before. Yes, it would mean importing the PCB ect from China (which lets face it most companies do anyway), but after doing loads of research the electronics just can't be found anywhere in the UK or Europe for this, unless I order a bespoke PCB. If this is what you want then Rob has a clock which is made from the ground up and is also a great product. Looking at this module it would have:

12/24H functions.
Volt meter
temp sensor
original style "two" button function.

But, would not have display dimming...

What do people think?

Lwanmtr
10-10-2015, 06:16 AM
As long as it works well, installs easily and doesnt cost a million quatloos should be fine...even with chinese bits....hehe.