PDA

View Full Version : What holds the panel around the shifter down besides the two screws in the rear?

eagle-co94
07-04-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm pulling interior parts and I'm obviously missing something. Can anyone clue me in? Once that's off I'm also pulling the center armrest and console and can use some advice on that too. I've already got the two bolts under the console tray removed.

sdg3205
07-04-2013, 07:12 PM
just the HVAC panel!

Dangermouse
07-04-2013, 07:14 PM
On my auto, it was just those two screws. The plate may be stuck so pull it a little to the rear.

There are 6 bolts that hold the center console in, as well as two more screws at the front footwells. The other 4 bolts are under the shifter plate

davidhamblyn
07-04-2013, 07:14 PM
just the HVAC panel!

Superglue in mine, would you believe!

Wasnt me!

Michael
07-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Actually there are two small "tabs" on each side of the center console located about where the clock/rheostat is. They are covered, so not very noticeable. This along with the HVAC panel and the 2 screws hold everything together. The HVAC control panel has to seat just right against the metal radio mount for it to block out the light leaks at night. I used a combination of adhesive black felt and black paint to finish mine out(those light leaks bugged me)

Now if you are talking about the auto shifter trim plate, it snaps in place....but most of them are broken.

eagle-co94
07-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I got the "quadrants" out around the shifter handle very carefully. The AC panel was also pretty easy. I got the radio loosened but can't go any further until the console is out. There was some soft epoxy holding the radio trim on so there may be something holding the "front panel" (108240) on so I'll just take it easy. Last thing I need to do is break something.

Thanks for all the quick replies! I wasn't sure if everyone was outside enjoying their freedom or not. I just fired up the grill, meat is about to go on and I'll be done with 10077 shortly as I'm letting the sun limit my activity and then it's time to light the stump and get ready for fireworks! There's a tree stump in the back yard that will become my fire pit once I'm done burning from the inside out (self consuming fire log).

DMC5180
07-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm pulling interior parts and I'm obviously missing something. Can anyone clue me in? Once that's off I'm also pulling the center armrest and console and can use some advice on that too. I've already got the two bolts under the console tray removed.

In addition to the A/C panel, the front part of the console panel has 2 smooth stud pins that fit into One-way Gripping retaining clips. They can be a bugger to get loose. Wiggling and wrangling with it usually will get them to let go. Typically the clips will fall out (under the metal frame of the console).

Two screws one on each side behind the knee pads attaching a L-bracket to the knee pad.

eagle-co94
07-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks Dennis, that's exactly what my problem is. At this point I'm out of daylight so I'll tackle that tomorrow. BBQ & explosives time!

Ron
07-04-2013, 09:25 PM
If it is loose, note that there are two places for screws near the front of the panel. I can't remember if I had to tap them out...could be where the pins Dennis mentioned go.

Anyway, you can use them to simply sturdy things up...or with the stainless "glue on" DOMOCO plate with a little work.

This is on my early style VIN, if it matters.

ccurzio
07-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Just those two screws. The front part pops and secures under the AC controls panel.

eagle-co94
07-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Those two studs were the problem. They were holding on for dear life but I got my door panel removal tool in there and they finally popped. Now the entire center console and everything attached to it is out. The initial goal was so I could pull the A/C panel and all controls for someone. I didn't realize I was in for such a battle!

Jonathan
07-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Didn't see this thread in time, but you look like you got it under control.

Another thread on a similar subject with some photos is here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7205-Center-Console-Removal