PDA

View Full Version : Ever had to turn down a job offer?

Kenny_Z
07-05-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm not good with rejecting people so this was difficult. I was approached by a company several times over the passed couple of months. Twice by recruiters and once by a former coworker. My manager accepted another job and left the company. The sudden instability and direction had me accept an interview from the new company on Monday. I enjoyed the interview, the job, and the people. One of the CEOs was the main reason they were trying to recruit me. The only real problem for me was the drive, almost two hours one way depending on traffic. The office closer to me wasn't the one they would want me to work from. They made me an offer on Tuesday for more than I make now but the cost of gas negated any benefit. On Wednesday I received word from my current company that my new boss is someone I have enjoyed working with in the past and knows how valuable I am. So I went from a very unstable department with an uncertain future to something I can see myself settling into again. Yesterday was a holiday so I had to wait until today to contact the prospective office and decline their offer. I tried to do it in the most polite and political way possible. After all, I might find the need to work with them in the future.

I think if it wasn't for that drive I'd probably take the offer but that coupled with the new manager and stable work environment I can't see myself leaving.

ccurzio
07-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Good for you, man. It takes balls to turn good opportunities down to stay on the road where you want to be.

Years ago a friend of mine was angling to get me on for a 3 month contract job with a DoD contractor. I'd be living in Abu Dhabi for 3 months, working every third day setting up network security infrastructure for several different sites, all for a little more than half of the yearly salary I had at my then-current full-time job. I turned it down, and then immediately went to my boss and told him the story and why I chose to stay with the company. Not 10 seconds after I left his office, he was on the phone to HR to tell them the story and to make sure I get taken care of. I got a pretty nice raise that year.

It would have made for a nice cushy contract and I'd have gotten to see a country I'd never seen and get paid a shitload of money to do it, but it was a short-term contract and I didn't feel comfortable abandoning a company I'd enjoyed working for with people I liked doing what I like to do.

Bitsyncmaster
07-05-2013, 02:51 PM
You can suggest the new company pay for your move to the new location if that's what you want to do.

Alan
07-05-2013, 04:28 PM
If you're sure you don't want to leave your current company now that the manager has changed, then you know what you need to do. If, on the other hand, you might still entertain leaving, there are options.

Everything's negotiable. If you want to go but aren't happy with the salary after taking into account the increased cost of gas, lay out the numbers for the new company and explain to them that it's necessary for you in order to take the position with the longer drive. That way, if the new company comes across with another, better offer you can factor out the cost of the drive. If you go that route, I strongly suggest you do your best to steel your resolve to go and let the offer make the decision. If they come across with a number you have in mind beforehand, you go. If not, you stay.

On the other hand, if you have decided to stay in your current position, I'd thank the new company for the opportunity. Explain that things have changed at your current job and you have a better opportunity and have decided to stay. Let them know you take their time seriously and didn't intend to waste it. That way, hopefully they'll realize you weren't looking frivolously but that things did change for you.

I tend to be a straight shooter and hope people will respect me for it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. About a year and a half ago I was in a very similar position. I stayed at my current job. I called to tell the prospective employer my decision and it went badly. Steel yourself that that, too. Sometimes people aren't as professional as you are or as they should be. Keep yourself professional and you don't have anything to apologize for.

I'm still at the job I stayed at and have advanced. Staying can be the right decision.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

DMCMW Dave
07-05-2013, 04:31 PM
--I called to tell the prospective employer my decision and it went badly. Steel yourself that that, too. -.

That just reinforces your decision as being correct. You probably don't want to work for someone like that!

Alan
07-05-2013, 04:39 PM
That just reinforces your decision as being correct. You probably don't want to work for someone like that!

Good point. I meant to mention that and than forgot. Yes, if they react badly, probably not much of a burnt bridge.

Farrar
07-05-2013, 05:21 PM
I had to turn down a job offer recently. Had I not longer goals in mind for my career, it would have been a pretty sweet gig. I would have been a big fish in a small pond. (That has its drawbacks as well as its benefits, actually -- I don't really like being the big fish. But that's another story.) Although the salary was comparable (when you factor in cost of living), and I knew and liked the boss, I didn't feel like uprooting my significant other, and the benefits package was lacking compared to the job I have. It's the first time I've ever turned down an offer. It felt strange, but I felt fully justified in doing so, and nonetheless celebrated the fact that I was offered a job, when just a few years ago I was applying for gigs all over the country, getting interviewed, and then never picked up. I look at it this way: I made a lasting impression on someone. That's worth raising my glass to, in my opinion.

Kenny_Z
07-05-2013, 06:05 PM
I made sure to be professional when I turned it down. One, it's just my nature and two, this area is very small. I was surprised at the number of people the general manager heard my name from. I even Googled a few of "how to" articles on turning down a job offer.

The salary isn't a big selling point for me. If the job had been at the local office I would have taken the job on the spot for what I make at my current company. However, with the announcement Wednesday of my new boss and his plans for this group I'm in place for more challenging work which is way more interesting than my current position. The hours I spent tracking a rogue multicast stream was much more enjoyable than the half hour I spent with the coffee shop owner explaining how outlook express worked.

I'm happy with my current decision and hope that no bridges have been burned. The only contact I had at the company was HR so I didn't speak with anyone I interviewed with. Being a holiday I wasn't surprised that none of them were in the office but a little disappointed I couldn't gauge any reactions. It probably wasn't the best timing but interviewing around a holiday kinda throws a wrench into everything. Plus I thought it was better to get it off my chest now instead of having it hanging over me all weekend.