PDA

View Full Version : General Do I have a clutch problem

scotstern
07-06-2013, 01:09 AM
On several occasions I have had great difficulty getting the car in gear. I have a braided clutch line and it was installed with a new master cylinder and slave by DMC OC. Now, that was about 8 years ago but I have not driven the car more than 1,000 miles in the past 8 years. The car has a total of 13,000 miles on it. Here is the issue.

Tonight and several other times, I have not been able to get it in gear. If you "pump" the clutch a few times that has worked and it has allowed me to get it in gear. Once it is in gear and running no problem. It will work flawlessly and continue to work flawlessly. It only seems to happen after it has been sitting for a few weeks and only on start up. All other times it is fine.

There are no leaks, the reservoir is full and the fluid is clear. I am guessing that the master cylinder is leaking internally but that is only speculation on my part. I need expert advice as I do not want to be trapped somewhere. The clutch pedal feel seems to be normal.

Thanks,

Scot

vwdmc16
07-06-2013, 02:16 AM
In my experience yes a failing master will with do that, since your car is driven so little that failure is not uncommon.

Has the vehicle had any service since it went to DMCca? its recommended to flush brake fluid every 3 years, driven or not to keep the system in top shape. Id say flush and bleed the system as a cheap possible fix. That may give it new life but possibly it needs a new Master and/or slave.