PDA

View Full Version : very informal get-together in New Orleans - July 25

Farrar
07-09-2013, 12:44 PM
My employer has a monthly series where the public gets to know radio hosts in an informal setting. It's held at a local upscale bar, where people come and listen to you chat on stage for a half hour, followed by an audience Q&A. I couldn't think of anything to talk about, so someone said "How about your DeLorean?"

Two other local owners will join me, so we'll have two (or maybe three) DeLoreans in attendance. I'll try to get some pictures.

And just for fun, here's the radio spot I produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_CSTb8RVBA

Oliver Holler
07-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Nice! I just learned something new about you! Great recording!
Wish I were closer- I'd show up!
Oliver

Farrar
07-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks, Oliver! How close will you be?

refugeefromcalif
07-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I didn't see a Date for this get together in your first post?

George

Farrar
07-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Sorry. It's July 25, like the 30-second spot says.

refugeefromcalif
07-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Sorry. It's July 25, like the 30-second spot says.

I'm sorry I didn't check out the spot you posted. My main source of online access at home is Dial-Up. :dead:

I'll Fire up the iPad and watch it.

George

DMCMW Dave
07-10-2013, 08:40 PM
My main source of online access at home is Dial-Up. :dead:

They still have that? ? ? :what_the:

Farrar
07-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry I didn't check out the spot you posted.

I was hoping you could see the preview image, which has the date in it.

However, now that I look at it, there's no indication from my caption what the date refers to. Big goof on my part! Sorry!

refugeefromcalif
07-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Yep. That's All my home 'puter has access too. :(
I Do have LTE on my iPad though, and 4G on my iPhone. (I just can't use them much at home, Low signal in my area).

George

Kenny_Z
07-10-2013, 09:22 PM

The ISP I work for had a site close to Duncanville. We had to bundle 4 T1s just to get decent service to the site. We couldn't get a larger trunk from any provider. It's no wonder the site kicked us out after 6 months of 200 people sharing about 5 megs.

Farrar
07-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks to whomever put "July 25" in the subject heading of this thread. :)

Farrar
07-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Here are the pictures I took. Video to follow.

dvonk
07-27-2013, 01:07 AM
giggity.

Roman Legion
07-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Wish I could have been there, but that is way too far for an informal get-together.

Dangermouse
07-27-2013, 03:12 PM
That car has spelled DMCTalk wrong ;)

NightFlyer
07-27-2013, 11:45 PM
That car has spelled DMCTalk wrong ;)

You know you want to join... :biggrin:

Roman Legion
07-28-2013, 02:27 AM
You know you want to join... :biggrin:

He is holding out joining until you sweeten the deal with a copy of a certain movie..lol

NightFlyer
07-28-2013, 10:15 AM
He is holding out joining until you sweeten the deal with a copy of a certain movie..lol

That movie is only good as a substitute for Pawn Stars. :tongue_stick:

Roman Legion
07-28-2013, 05:20 PM
That movie is only good as a substitute for Pawn Stars. :tongue_stick:

You mean prawn stars right? :confused2:

Dangermouse
07-28-2013, 05:58 PM

Why, do all new members get a copy?

Signed by Chad?

Roman Legion
07-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Why, do all new members get a copy?

Signed by Chad?

No, due to budget cuts and the order being wrong, we are giving free copies of Paint your wagon, signed by someone nobody has ever heard of off the street.

Farrar
07-29-2013, 12:42 PM
In case anyone was still interested at all in the event, I'm working on getting the video to YouTube later today or tonight.

refugeefromcalif
07-29-2013, 07:06 PM
In case anyone was still interested at all in the event, I'm working on getting the video to YouTube later today or tonight.

Without pics and video, it didn't happen... :drummer:

George

Farrar
07-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Axe and ye shall recede, or something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LUg9hzK3Ao

Farrar
07-29-2013, 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqRCxZxRSoI

Sorry the folks in the audience didn't have microphones.

Spittybug
07-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Axe and ye shall recede, or something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LUg9hzK3Ao

Could Steve and Bill have been any more negative on our cars? Seriously? Farrar, I'm disappointed in your choice in panel guests.
There are plenty of folks that could point out the shortcomings of the car while still maintaining a modicum of respect for what is an automotive icon.
They said nothing to endear me to their cause.
Sorry.

Farrar
07-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Farrar, I'm disappointed in your choice in panel guests.

I'm sorry, but did you volunteer? I don't remember you saying you would drive down here.

You're disappointed in the fact that these two people volunteered to appear with me in public for no compensation whatsoever. Okay, fine. These were the guys who were available. The other two people bailed on me. Everybody knows that Steve likes to bash the DeLorean and act like a moron, and everybody knows that Bill likes to bash the car and act like a know-it-all. You asked for the video. Now you're disappointed. How am I supposed to feel about that?

There was no "cause," by the way, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. The purpose of this monthly gathering is not "support a car marqué," but "meet the DJ." I resisted until the last possible moment to appear, because I really dislike speaking extemporaneously. I was given the get-together in June, and I had two guests to talk with me about music education in New Orleans public schools. Unfortunately, the host of a national radio program came to town in June, and I got bumped to July. This meant I had no guests, because my guests were both educators and were taking their summer vacation after July 4. At the beginning of June, a staff meeting was held wherein I admitted I had no clue as to what topic I should have for my appearance. "What about your car?" someone suggested. I agreed, and tried to rustle up some guests. I started with four and ended up with two.

I should have known that, after going to the trouble of videorecording it, getting the audio from the radio station so it would be intelligible, marrying the two together, and uploading the edit to YouTube, that I'd get bitched at for my efforts on others' behalf. Unfortunately, sometimes I am an optimist.

Edit: I find it very, very sad that people assume that I agree with 100% of everything my friends say and believe. If that were true, I would have no friends. Instead, I have friends, and other people lump me in with them, and I am suddenly not a good guy when one of my friends says something offensive. Very sad indeed.

Spittybug
07-29-2013, 10:33 PM
I apologize for the one line that you personally can take offense to; the one you quoted.

The rest was a reflection of their demeanor, their words and their attitudes towards the car. The cause to which I refer is their anti-DMCtalk website. Of course you cannot control what other people will say.

For the record I don't recall any calls for volunteers however....

And I have never said you aren't a good guy. :smile:

Farrar
07-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Sorry. I guess was expecting "Thanks for going to the trouble of recording and uploading this, Farrar, so the rest of us could see and hear it." So I was somewhat taken aback. I guess I'll take it down. No one seems to care about it now that it's up, so it was a wasted effort.

DrJeff
07-29-2013, 11:30 PM
A show just on Steve's antics would have been worth a hoot... ghost peppers, noddle baths, pimp suits...:)

As someone from N. Ireland I always have a funny reaction to 'foreigners' trying to explain what N. Ireland was like at the time. I didn't live in Belfast, but I did live in Derry (or LondonDerry) which by some accounts was just as bad. I give the lads their dues in the video that they made an attempt to set the context of auto manufacturing in N.Ireland obviously just based on what they have read, heard, and old videos.

To get a car production plant for a new make from ground-breaking to production in 2 years is nothing short of amazing and speaks very well of all the DMC employees involved, both the locals and the DMC employees that came to N.Ireland at the time (a brave bunch).

For me personally, I don't mind the car's quirks one little bit, because when I'm working on it I think back to the lads who put it together 30 years ago. (I even like to swear in a Belfast accent in case in helps). To me its a testament to their dedication and hard work and I'm very proud to be an owner (and also modernizer) of the car. What amazes me as I learn more is just how many things they got right in the time they had to design and build the car.

The video was entertaining, perhaps more so for those of us on the forums that can interpret the quips given the interesting personalities that uttered them.

SamHill
07-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Thanks for putting in the time and effort to share this, Farrar. It is true that the best thing about the community is the people you meet in person, and nice that you all emphasized that point. You represented the community and the car for all its lovable foibles exceedingly well.

Dangermouse
07-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Farrar, thanks for posting it.

How many people in the audience asked about Flux Capacitors?

Farrar
07-30-2013, 10:16 AM
There were about eight people in the audience. No one asked about flux capacitors.

The video is not publicly listed; only people with the link can view it. So basically just people on DMC car forums.

I do apologize for the gaps in our knowledge... but we're enthusiasts, not historians, and fortunately, the audience knew this. But as an aside, I do think it's interesting that DeLorean owners are expected to know all about John DeLorean, the company, and the car. I wonder if owners of any other classic car are expected to know as much about their car's history, design, etc. The next time I see a classic Mustang, I'm going to ask the driver who designed and engineered it, where it was built, why it's famous... ;)

sean
07-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks for posting Farrar, I enjoyed it and honestly didn't think it was that negative just honest in a biased kind of why. I also mean this in the most hetero way as possible, the voice is awesome.

Farrar
07-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Ha! Thanks, Sean.

30 minutes goes very fast. There was a lot I wanted to say that I didn't have a chance to. I'd say "maybe next time," but there won't be one. LOL

Mike C.
08-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks for posting Farrar, I enjoyed it and honestly didn't think it was that negative just honest in a biased kind of why. I also mean this in the most hetero way as possible, the voice is awesome.

Agreed. Just watched the whole thing. Thought it was well done. Good job sir