PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to destroy your DMC? Here is a good place to start...

Gary Weaver II
07-16-2013, 08:59 PM
This has been a long time coming, but I've finally managed to get a portion of my BTTF-D CAD Files somewhat organized and publicly posted.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxYREvtB-VxPMjlaUE8zWnJFdmc/edit?usp=sharing

If you are wanting to start a BTTF Conversion and have the ability to fabricate your own stuff from CAD files - this is a great starting point.

The file is by no means "perfect", but it is mostly what I've used over the last 10 years to do my own car. I'm hopeful that it will be useful to anyone that needs it.

Gary Weaver II

thirdmanj
07-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Love the thread title, dude. :aniclap:

Delorean Industries
07-16-2013, 09:13 PM
I thought for sure I was going to see a D being loaded into a Pennsylvania Crusher with a forklift.

Delorean Industries
07-16-2013, 09:16 PM
After seeing BTTF on the big screen over the weekend I think I want to build one. But just one and to a horrible car that has no other fate but a part out.

Gary Weaver II
07-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Love the thread title, dude. :aniclap:

I thought that would be appreciated :)

Just wanted to add...

The file is by no means "perfect", but it is mostly what I've used over the last 10 years to do my own car. I'm hopeful that it will be useful to anyone that needs it.

The file will be routinely updated as I go through my files and receive future input from other builders using the DWG. I'll be posting updated versions to my facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/BTTFP...06706976118774

This file is all BTTF-DeLorean related. CADs for some of my other BTTF Projects may be incorporated in the future.

StainlessBullet
07-16-2013, 11:32 PM
I'll be posting updated versions to my facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/BTTFP...06706976118774

Got another link? The link you posted won't open for me.

Gary Weaver II
07-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Got another link? The link you posted won't open for me.

Oh, not sure what's up with that. You can search "BTTFParts - Time Machines and More" on facebook. That should bring it up.

BTW, contrary to some reports you may hear on Facebook, the file is clean. It's amazing what lies some people will come up with when they need too.

-Gary

StainlessBullet
07-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Oh, not sure what's up with that. You can search "BTTFParts - Time Machines and More" on facebook. That should bring it up.

Ok, I found the page using the search. Thanks

Nicholas R
07-17-2013, 06:01 AM
The link worked for me but I have Autocad and solidworks. I'm not sure what other programs will open a .dwg file. Thanks for posting!

nullset
07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Awesome Gary. Thanks for sharing!

I've been wanting to do my own construction, but couldn't find anyone willing to share dimensions. It was really disappointing, as not everyone has as much access to the original cars as some builders seem to.

--buddy

StainlessBullet
07-17-2013, 01:56 PM
The link worked for me but I have Autocad and solidworks. I'm not sure what other programs will open a .dwg file. Thanks for posting!

The link for the .dwg file worked for me also. I was referring to the facebook link for the other files. I just used the search function on facebook and found the page, so it's all good now.

Totally 80s
08-20-2013, 03:02 AM
Anybody have any idea what a decent welder would charge to put the rear part of the car together if you had it CNC cut? Maybe Gary could guesstimate?

Gary Weaver II
08-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Years ago when I had parts waterjet cut they were running about $750-$800 a set - this was just for the cutting.

My first set was cheaper since I hand sheared all my vent parts. However, what I saved in cutting costs was offset by the welding costs. I think I paid $500 to have my first set welded up nearly 10 years ago. After that I plucked down a few thousand for my own MIG welder and just did it myself since I could use the welder for stuff other than just Time Machine bits.

Your best bet would be to find a fabricator local who can do TIG welding on aluminum and show him some pics of the finished vents so he can give you an estimate. You will find that most welders will get a kick out of it (if they haven't done one before) and may give you a good price just to be able to work on the project.

-Gary

Timebender
10-03-2013, 04:13 PM

Illustrator, and it should work in AutoCAD- also DWG is used by the CNC machines.

bcarreras
05-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Years ago when I had parts waterjet cut they were running about $750-$800 a set - this was just for the cutting.

My first set was cheaper since I hand sheared all my vent parts. However, what I saved in cutting costs was offset by the welding costs. I think I paid $500 to have my first set welded up nearly 10 years ago. After that I plucked down a few thousand for my own MIG welder and just did it myself since I could use the welder for stuff other than just Time Machine bits.

Your best bet would be to find a fabricator local who can do TIG welding on aluminum and show him some pics of the finished vents so he can give you an estimate. You will find that most welders will get a kick out of it (if they haven't done one before) and may give you a good price just to be able to work on the project.

-Gary

Hi, Gary...I got the parts cut...I was wondering if you had any pics of the rear deck part built? I am trying to figure out how it all fits together. Thanks! - Brett

Nicholas R
05-15-2014, 11:27 PM
Has anyone ever had a set made out of stainless? I know it'd be heavier but it certainly be easier to weld. Just curious.

Shep
12-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Just wanted to post an update here: it took me a while, but I finally managed to convert this file to a DXF file for those without AutoCAD. It now opens with many free programs such as LibreCAD (which I personally use). Mirrored on my site below. I labeled it "01" just in case more are released, but as of yet this is the only one I believe. Do correct me if I'm wrong though! ;)

The unfortunate part is that it doesn't really have all the dimensions for everything (I was looking for something in particular that wound up not being on here), but for what it does have, it's very detailed.

http://shep.zone/publicdox/BTTFParts_DXF_01.dxf

Galt
12-22-2014, 02:18 PM
I thought it was going to be somebody handing their keys to VideoBob.

I thought for sure I was going to see a D being loaded into a Pennsylvania Crusher with a forklift.

Gary Weaver II
12-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks for making that conversion. Anything that helps others get the info is greatly appreciated.

You are correct. There has only been one version to date of the DWG file posted. Since I've posted it, I've worked with a couple others in the community and we've made a couple of additions and tweaks. There were a few parts missing only because I always fabbed them out in my garage and never wrote them down or put them in the file.

In addition to the new parts, I'm also trying to include some parts ordering and construction info into the file - or I may create a PDF sheet with some of that info. It's really just going to depend on how much time I want to put into all of it before I close up shop after the first of the year.

I also found out there was a scaling problem when I exported from my non-autodesk CAD software. It was exporting at 1" equals 1' instead of a true 1:1. Not that big of a problem if you know your way around cad, but still annoying.

I'm hoping to post an updated version in the next few weeks and will be sure to let everyone know when it's up.

Thanks again for the support and helping everyone out with the DXF Conversion.

Gary

Just wanted to post an update here: it took me a while, but I finally managed to convert this file to a DXF file for those without AutoCAD. It now opens with many free programs such as LibreCAD (which I personally use). Mirrored on my site below. I labeled it "01" just in case more are released, but as of yet this is the only one I believe. Do correct me if I'm wrong though! ;)

The unfortunate part is that it doesn't really have all the dimensions for everything (I was looking for something in particular that wound up not being on here), but for what it does have, it's very detailed.

http://shep.zone/publicdox/BTTFParts_DXF_01.dxf

Shep
12-23-2014, 05:43 AM
Thanks for making that conversion. Anything that helps others get the info is greatly appreciated.

You are correct. There has only been one version to date of the DWG file posted. Since I've posted it, I've worked with a couple others in the community and we've made a couple of additions and tweaks. There were a few parts missing only because I always fabbed them out in my garage and never wrote them down or put them in the file.Not a problem! I figured while I was at it, I might as well host it too. I was actually looking for the flux band measurements (front and both rear). I'm not sure if that's the right name for the part, but it's the part that goes right in front of the bumper with perforated aluminum, acting as its own bumper of sorts. I believe those are more or less hand crafted, but wasn't sure on the exact measurements.

If you update the file at all, I can convert it again and hoat the new version alongside the old one. :thumbup:

Gary Weaver II
12-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Gotcha. There will never be measurements of the flux bands in the file. You nailed the reasons why. They are very individual to each car and even the slightest difference in installation or fabrication can make or break the conversion. I've always left that up to each individual builders style and tastes.

When I repost the adjusted file, I'll see about saving it out as a DXF as well.

-Gary

Not a problem! I figured while I was at it, I might as well host it too. I was actually looking for the flux band measurements (front and both rear). I'm not sure if that's the right name for the part, but it's the part that goes right in front of the bumper with perforated aluminum, acting as its own bumper of sorts. I believe those are more or less hand crafted, but wasn't sure on the exact measurements.

If you update the file at all, I can convert it again and hoat the new version alongside the old one. :thumbup:

Gary Weaver II
01-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Just wanted to give an update on this mess. It's been very slow going, but i'm making progress. With the help of a few others, we're working on a few new additions to the CAD File

Screen Accurate Part II and III TCD Enclosure (which was used in the A-Car restoration). Drawn from the original unit in the C-Car after filming.

Minor Tweaks to the overhead console set. I'll also be including a flat for the switch banks if you don't feel like taking forever to drill the LMB boxes.

The Robinson Gyro Mount on the rear deck. Not a 100% dead-on copy, but simplified a bit to be scratchbuilt (I'm still tweaking it a bit here and there with new info).

Still a TON more to do and as I said, it's taking a ton of time to get dialed in.

However if you have any questions about the project, please feel free to ask away. These days there is nothing too terribly secret about all this mess. I'm happy to help.

-Gary

Silkie
01-12-2015, 03:39 PM
So Looking Forward to this!

Gary Weaver II
01-12-2015, 04:12 PM
I'm trying to get an update done as fast as I can. It's been terrible weather for getting anything done around here and now my home computer has developed some sort of "issue". Still trying to diagnose that problem, but hope to have a substantial update soon.

-Gary

Silkie
01-13-2015, 05:30 PM
I'm trying to get an update done as fast as I can. It's been terrible weather for getting anything done around here and now my home computer has developed some sort of "issue". Still trying to diagnose that problem, but hope to have a substantial update soon.

-Gary

No Problem. This is going to be well worth the wait!

mr2nut123
01-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Do you have a cad for an overhead console yet Gary?

Gary Weaver II
01-22-2015, 11:53 AM
It's in the masterfile. Flat plans for the main plate and even the switch housings if you have a shop good enough to bend them up and don't feel like trying to cut out the LMB Heeger boxes.

I should have a better updated version of the file up within a week or two. I still have the computer issues at home so I'm trying to update the file at my office. It's very slow going at the moment. Sorry about the delays.

-Gary

mr2nut123
01-22-2015, 11:56 AM
It's in the masterfile. Flat plans for the main plate and even the switch housings if you have a shop good enough to bend them up and don't feel like trying to cut out the LMB Heeger boxes.

I should have a better updated version of the file up within a week or two. I still have the computer issues at home so I'm trying to update the file at my office. It's very slow going at the moment. Sorry about the delays.

-Gary

No worries Gary. I (like most others) really do appreciate this info. It's how this 'hobby' should always be :-)

aotmfilms
05-01-2015, 05:17 PM
No worries Gary. I (like most others) really do appreciate this info. It's how this 'hobby' should always be :-)

I disagree Nut, but thank you Mr. Weaver for your diagrams. I hope that in the next year to be able to replicate them on my own without help. Everybody has a dream and some of us do not have the ability that Mr. Weaver, Mr. Moseley or Mr. Coulumbe have.

I applaud your workmanship Sir.

Mr. Nut. Building BTTF cars is like singing. I can build a BTTF mod but I may just fook it up and will need some help, just like I can sing but its like two cats fooking. ;)

Gary Weaver II
05-01-2015, 09:58 PM
I don't follow... What did you disagree with Nut about?

I disagree Nut, but thank you Mr. Weaver for your diagrams. I hope that in the next year to be able to replicate them on my own without help. Everybody has a dream and some of us do not have the ability that Mr. Weaver, Mr. Moseley or Mr. Coulumbe have.

I applaud your workmanship Sir.

Mr. Nut. Building BTTF cars is like singing. I can build a BTTF mod but I may just fook it up and will need some help, just like I can sing but its like two cats fooking. ;)

mr2nut123
05-02-2015, 05:56 PM
I don't follow... What did you disagree with Nut about?

I'm also extremely confused at that post too, lol! I have huge respect for Gary and the time (years) of research and CADs, as well as most other builders. His videos clearly show he's a fan and not a business man. Do what you enjoy, and the money will follow is probably a motto well suited :-)

videobob
05-02-2015, 09:11 PM
I am not disparaging Gary's work or discounting his level of passion, I just want to point out that in the 10 plus years that he has been in the hobby, or rather in business, he has sold as many as 6 Delorean Time Machines I believe,
several kit versions of the cars and countless parts runs. Based on the stuff I know about I would guess he has done minimally $300,000 or more in sales over the years, that is just based on things that I know are public.
Private sales could approach up to half a million over the 10+ years.
Just pointing out that he does make profits from the hobby just as I do, as Bruce and Danny do and others who have built and sold BTTF merchandise.
I am not putting this down at all, I think it is great and it just goes to show that the there are a lot of fans of this movie willing to spend money on these things.
My point in this really is, just because we sell this stuff doesn't mean we are any less of a fan.
Some of us have made this love for the Delorean and the Time Machine our life's work.
Nothing wrong with that at all, no matter how much some of us disagree with each other personally.
Under the skin we are all the same BTTF geeks.
- VB

Gary Weaver II
05-02-2015, 10:04 PM
There is sooo much wrong with this whole post, I don't even know where to start. More importantly I'm not really even going to bother to respond to this bullshit. Best I can imagine, this must be what Bob tells himself before he goes to sleep at night so he can feel justified in all the crap he does to me and others in this hobby.

Welcome to planet Bob. Where everyone apparently makes an insane shitload of money.

Gary

-sent from my solid gold iPad :)

I am not disparaging Gary's work or discounting his level of passion, I just want to point out that in the 10 plus years that he has been in the hobby, or rather in business, he has sold as many as 6 Delorean Time Machines I believe,
several kit versions of the cars and countless parts runs. Based on the stuff I know about I would guess he has done minimally $300,000 or more in sales over the years, that is just based on things that I know are public.
Just pointing out that he does make profits from the hobby just as I do, as Bruce and Danny do and others who have built and sold BTTF merchandise.
I am not putting this down at all, I think it is great and it just goes to show that the there are a lot of fans of this movie willing to spend money on these things.
My point in this really is, just because we sell this stuff doesn't mean we are any less of a fan.
Some of us have made this love for the Delorean and the Time Machine our life's work.
Nothing wrong with that at all, no matter how much some of us disagree with each other personally.
- VB

Shep
05-03-2015, 05:28 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/kzo7i.jpg

ccurzio
05-03-2015, 08:11 AM
I don't understand the amount of mud slinging and drama that comes as part of being in a prop building community. The Knight Rider replica community has a stupid amount of drama and turmoil inside of it, and it's ridiculous. And here we have it in the DMC BTTF community.

Good god people, they're fucking CARS. THAT'S ALL. Get over yourselves and stop shitting all over people who really, really don't give a shit about how big your particular dick is on any given day.

Tamir A.
05-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Hey Bob,

Let's do everyone on the forum a favor and throttle back on inciting more BS threads on your beef with other BTTF replica manufacturers, whether "fair" or "not fair" in your mind OK? I realize this beef goes deep and as someone who has been in this community for a very long time I couldn't be more bored by it. I don't know or care about all of the details of he said she said. all I want to do is maintain a place where folks can come and be civil. And civil doesn't mean liking the other person, but let's stop the poking and prodding.

T.

- VB

videobob
05-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Wait a second, I didn't sling any mud or make any insults of any kind, I only stated some publicly known facts.
I am in no way disparaging Gary's work or person.
Is it shameful for Gary, or anyone to admit they sold some cars and stuff?
That was my only point, that MR2NUT is suggesting that Gary only operates as a "fan", as though it were philanthropy and in truth he continues
to sell props and car parts through his facebook page to this day, posting photos of large parts runs to private clients.
Unless he is going to state that all of these items are donations I would have to guess that he gets paid for them.
I hope he does, he deserves to get paid, no one should work for free, I don't.
I am just pointing out that the main people in this game, who's name we all know, do it and have done it for the purpose of profits.
In the last 10 years all of us "builders" have sold a combined possibly 50 cars and who knows how many parts?
That is at least 2 million dollars worth of stuff, somebody made that money and it wasn't all me.
There is no insult or mud slinging in any of that statement, I just want people to have perspective when forming opinions.

Gary Weaver II
05-04-2015, 08:24 AM
"I am sick and tired of this pattern of abuse.
People, like myself, post an innocent thread, void of insults or drama,
then some asshole troll starts making snide and abusive comments,
making accusations, spreading false lies with thier own agenda to promote themselves or another vendor, etc."

Your words not mine.

Perhaps you should try to follow them yourself before you go off on everyone else who is allegedly out to get you.

-Gary

ccurzio
05-04-2015, 09:33 AM
For fuck's sake.

Gary Weaver II
05-04-2015, 10:28 AM
I couldn't agree more...

-Gary

ccurzio
05-04-2015, 10:43 AM
I couldn't agree more...

-Gary

No, see... you're not in a position to agree because you're contributing to the mess. And you just did it again after getting provoked by Bob who was ALSO told to cut it the fuck out.

This thread is no longer about your very cool CAD files, it's now a pissing contest. Nobody else wants to see it. Go pee in PM.

Gary Weaver II
05-04-2015, 11:25 AM
I haven't contributed squat to this pile. This is totally and completely on Bob's shoulders. I haven't instigated anything with this hunchbacked, suspender wearing loser in over a year since he threatened me via email and attacked me via Facebook with photoshopped photos of my daughter.

At that time this asshole had the nerve to accuse me of beating my children via e-mail (among other things). Right then and there I decided this lowlife p.o.s. was beyond deranged and I saw no positives in interacting with such a damaged individual - if only for my family's safety. I live within a 2 hour car drive of this psycho and he HAS ambushed us at events in Dallas and other places in the past - then publicly gloated about it online. Just what would you or anyone else have me do?

If anyone thinks this BTTF crap stays only online or on the message boards they are even more deluded than Bob appears to be. This asshole THRIVES on bringing shit into the public venue. He's a narcissistic, reality-tv wannabe. Normal interaction with regular people is physically and mentally impossible for him.

If the MODS would actually do something about him instead of letting him continue unabated with his repetitive bullshit then perhaps things may actually get better and we can participate without worrying if Bob was going to come and crap in the various threads.

The mods are the ones who have told him specifically and repeatedly to stop. He keeps doing it and they don't do anything.

I HAVE taken to the Mods via PM - MULTIPLE TIMES - In the last few days and apparently they want to do nothing to decisively stop his little one man reign of terror.

If Bob's earlier bullshit had been removed from this thread then perhaps, just perhaps, things would be different. Instead it was allowed to stay.

The "blame the victim" mentality here at DMCTalk really needs to stop and Bob needs to quit getting third, fourth, and fifth chances at being a decent contributing member of society. There comes a point where you have to realize that you can't fix stupid.

Wild and inaccurate speculation about my personal finances in some attempt to paint me as something I'm not has NOTHING to do with a simple thread about information. It should have been removed from the start, but the Mods left it here.

Somehow expecting me not to respond to something that I feel is that much of a personal attack is fallacy. I've learned at great personal cost that NOT responding to the bullshit on the internet is just as damaging as a full on flame war. Better to at least have your side of the argument out there than leave a silence which leaves a one-sided narrative open to misinterpretation.

I'll propose a deal with everyone here.

If the Mods think my response to this latest round of unprovoked bob-shit is uncalled for, then you have my wholehearted support and permission to ban my account from this board forever. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it and then you will still probably be stuck with VB. That's a prospect which I just find personally hilarious and ironic.

Damn, go for the hat trick and ban us both. If that's the price it would take to get him out of here for good, I'd happily take the fall.

-Gary

Farrar
05-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Hey you guys! There's this really cool thing ...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34221&stc=1

Shep
05-04-2015, 12:17 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/l1cu3.jpg

Both of you. Seriously. Enough is enough, all I'm seeing is two quote-unquote "victims" who are also the aggressors. Each of you has said things that both pinned the blame on and provoked the other party. it's like my old forum admin days all over again, and that forum was predominantly adolescent males with very few adults, but I saw this same exact crap all the time. "He said" "she said" "But I only did it because" "Why can't I?" I mean c'mon guys, you are ADULTS. Grow up already and learn to coexist. Nobody's here to cater to your every concern, but that doesn't mean you can verbally duke it out in a public forum either.

EDIT: Not you Farrar. Snuck in that post on me, didn't you? ;)

Farrar
05-04-2015, 03:56 PM
EDIT: Not you Farrar. Snuck in that post on me, didn't you? ;)

Not on purpose, I promise. :)

Tamir A.
05-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Looks like nobody can move on from this. I'm locking this thread as it's digressed into crap that has nothing to do with the original subject. Anyone else who wants to publicly piss and moan on about this stuff will be put on the moderated list immediately for the foreseeable future. Doesn't matter about right or wrong, just don't want to hear it anymore in the public. I told you to take it to PM already and yet it continues.

T.