PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first DeLorean

forvalaka
07-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Hello. I'm new to this site and spent the past 24 hours or so reading up. I've wanted a DeLorean since I was a kid and I'm finally in a place where I can buy one. The one I'm looking at is here: http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1981_DeLorean_DMC+12_197647865_1

I plan to go up and test drive it soon. Heres the thing, I'm a therapist and science fiction writer, I don't know much about cars let alone classic cars. But I don't want that to stop me from owning the car of my dreams, I want to learn. So here are my questions:
Does anyone know about this particular car? What questions should I be asking the owner? Wheres a good place in Atlanta to get it serviced?

This will be my only vehicle until I get it paid off. I only drive about 120 miles a week or so, mostly working from home. Thanks guys!

Dangermouse
07-20-2013, 08:34 AM
As the car is listed at a Used Car dealership and they think its an 8 cylinder I am not sure you will get many details of the cars history from them.

Ask for some pictures of the underside. Ask when it was last driven (look at the carfax report also). It is a low mileage example so if it hasn't been driven for years it may not be the best choice to immediately press into daily driver service.

Most local owners do their own work but some places will work on parts of the car - basic mechanical, replacing parts etc

Good luck in your search.

RammJaeger
07-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Forvalaka,

I actually live in the same city that you do, Woodstock, GA. I own a Delorean along with several other classic cars and I've done a cap decent amount of work on my cars. I might be able to go up there with you to take a look at the car. I'll pm you my contact information. I'll let you take a look at my Delorean if you'd like as well.

John

Soundkillr
07-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Ill sell you mine for 40k :)
Deloreans can be good cars, but you need to check that frame for rust. Also when you drive it check for hesitation. Let it sit hot for thirty minutes and make sure it starts back up with no problem. I sure one of us in sedoc could go look at it.

DL4567
07-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Hmmmm... I would be very careful with that car. First, they're asking too much if it needs a bunch of work. They play it off like it "only" needs some fluids changed, "check" the hoses (AKA replace the hoses), "adjust" the brakes (AKA do brake work and replace parts). And the fact that they say it's been stored for years is not good.

This could very well be a great car if the right work is done to it, but don't expect that to be easy or cheap. It will most certainly be more difficult than they make it out to be, and will be more extensive than just the hoses and brakes. As-is, it won't be a reliable daily driver.

I've seen many examples of cars sell on here in the low-$20s with extensive work histories that are maintained and ready to go. $27k is way too much for a car that's been sitting.

Silverbullet
07-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Adjust the brakes?.....Really how do you do that?... My guess is it needs new Master, Flex hoses, rebuilt calipers... and the Gas Tank cleaned out, new acumulator, filter, rebuilt fuel distributor, and injectors...As well as all new cooling hoses.... about $10,000 later, it could be a daily driver.... Ask me how I know.

Not to be a buzz kill, cause I think you should get a Delorean... but you should think of a cheap beater that runs for a 2nd car...

Craig

Ron
07-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Deloreans can be good cars, but you need to check that frame for rust. Also when you drive it check for hesitation. Let it sit hot for thirty minutes and make sure it starts back up with no problem. I sure one of us in sedoc could go look at it.
I agree! ...and the last thing any DeLorean needs is to set up a long periods of time -- several years!?!

I suggest asking yourself what kind of dealer wouldn't, "check the hoses", "change the fluids", "adjust the brakes" (yeah right), and give it a good clean up before it went up for sale...
Then if you aren't looking for a turbo car, like Bens, I can hook you up in the same price range. :deviltail:

All new door seals after the new paint, stainless shifter plate, and cleaned up inside since these pics (Note it is an 81 too but with the correct grooved and flapped hood;-) http://dmctalk.org/album.php?albumid=108

refugeefromcalif
07-20-2013, 05:08 PM
All new door seals after the new paint, stainless shifter plate, and cleaned up inside since these pics (Note it is an 81 too but with the correct grooved and flapped hood;-) http://dmctalk.org/album.php?albumid=108

Ron, Your link doesn't work?

George

LordFly
07-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Me too! ;)

Jimmyvonviggle
07-20-2013, 06:59 PM
I think this car as your first or main car, as you pay it off might be a problem. If you have to make payments and repairs at the same time, that might be difficult. Be honest with yourself and how much you can afford, as these cars are money pits. I don't want to discourage anyone, but take it slow.

Ron
07-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Ron, Your link doesn't work?

George??? Under my profile in Albums
THX!

EDIT: It helps when you tick the "Public" radio button:rolleyes:
Should work now....