PDA

View Full Version : Why do they think they can get $50k for this car?

Dangermouse
07-11-2011, 09:08 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem23123bac31QQitemZ15062 9755953QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucksQQsspagenameZRSSQ3aB Q3aSHOPQ3aUSQ3a101

Am I missing something?

No turbo, no providence mentioned, not a DMCH refurb?

Could it be a D-1 refurb?

The mileage on the ad says 47k, but the autocheck report says that should be 147k

sean
07-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Because he just spent $60k having it restored. Cant you tell by the bubbling cover label:
Quality glue markings on the door:
Clean binnacle recover job:
And of course that mint engine bay with antiqued coil cover sticker and air filter box:

Seriously, I don't question he put a lot of money into it but it will have to be his loss unfortunately. At least he spelled DeLorean right!

Dangermouse
07-11-2011, 09:23 AM
It was on CL last October, and surprisingly no-one snapped it up then at the same price :facepalm:

Michael
07-11-2011, 01:08 PM
There is a big difference between a asking price and what a seller will take. He is simply suggesting a starting point for negotiations, its a smart tactic and I cant fault him for using it. If an uniformed buyer were to make a 35-40k offer, the seller would probably rip his arm off and both parties would walk away happy.

louielouie2000
07-11-2011, 10:39 PM
There is a big difference between a asking price and what a seller will take. He is simply suggesting a starting point for negotiations, its a smart tactic and I cant fault him for using it. If an uniformed buyer were to make a 35-40k offer, the seller would probably rip his arm off and both parties would walk away happy.

Precisely. I think the seller would be quite lucky to get exactly half of his asking price in today's market ($25k). It's a nice enough car, but I really can't find anything exceptional about it or it's condition to set it apart from the pack.

Dangermouse
07-11-2011, 10:58 PM

I understand the difference between "asking price" and "selling price". But I can't see anyone offering even $35k for this average car IMHO. I was wondering if I had missed something and this was a super rare car.

I simply think the CO has spent a fortune getting it refurbished at some point and whomever did the refurbishment pointed him at ads from D1 and DMCH for fully refurbished cars, and convinced him of what the car would be worth when complete.

$20k car perhaps?

Roman Legion
07-12-2011, 12:12 AM
I understand the difference between "asking price" and "selling price". But I can't see anyone offering even $35k for this average car IMHO. I was wondering if I had missed something and this was a super rare car.

I simply think the CO has spent a fortune getting it refurbished at some point and whomever did the refurbishment pointed him at ads from D1 and DMCH for fully refurbished cars, and convinced him of what the car would be worth when complete.

$20k car perhaps?

I could see asking $20k.. If I saw this upon returning to the US, I might offer $20k.. But as stated above, he is trying to get as much over true value as he/she can get..

Rhsxo
07-12-2011, 01:28 AM
I have to agree that it's not worth the Buy It Now price, but do keep in mind that it is located on the East Coast and as you know, the conditions on the East Coast are not as friendly as they are on the West Coast. Less of an inventory in the area may constitute a higher price (not $50,000 obviously).