PDA

View Full Version : Watsonville Airshow 2014

Rich
07-21-2013, 01:00 PM
During the registration period for the Cops 'n' Rodders show we got a personal invitation to have NCDMC'ers participate in the 2014 Watsonville Air Show. Still in the planning stages, the airport manager hopes to theme it around Back to the Future.

It's not for the upcoming August show, it's for the one in August, 2014, the show's 50th Anniversary. With the usual warbirds, demo flying and fun.

No need to reply - it's tentative, we don't know how many cars they want, it's over a year away and he knows how to reach us. Plenty of time to polish your Flux Capacitors, gang.

jawn101
07-23-2013, 12:25 AM
This sounds too cool Rich. Keep us informed!

Nuclearbacon
09-03-2013, 08:19 PM
YES! How cool would that be! Runways are fun to drive on :)

dmc3130
10-13-2013, 06:10 PM
During the registration period for the Cops 'n' Rodders show we got a personal invitation to have NCDMC'ers participate in the 2014 Watsonville Air Show. Still in the planning stages, the airport manager hopes to theme it around Back to the Future.

It's not for the upcoming August show, it's for the one in August, 2014, the show's 50th Anniversary. With the usual warbirds, demo flying and fun.

No need to reply - it's tentative, we don't know how many cars they want, it's over a year away and he knows how to reach us. Plenty of time to polish your Flux Capacitors, gang.

Keep us posted on this one. Would be and awesome time to get together and maybe do the 17 mile drive that John has always wanted to do!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::biggrin:

jawn101
10-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Keep us posted on this one. Would be and awesome time to get together and maybe do the 17 mile drive that John has always wanted to do!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::biggrin:

Hell yeah!! I do wanna do that at some point :)

Hand-Schaub
10-25-2013, 08:10 PM
I'll be game for this event.

jawn101
10-27-2013, 01:13 PM
I'll be game for this event.

Hey man, is your car on the road now?? We haven't heard from you in a while! :)

Hand-Schaub
10-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Well, yes and no... It's smogged and running well but I did not send the registration yet. I will be updating soon but soooo many things have been going n I have not had time!

Rich
02-24-2014, 07:33 PM
This sounds too cool Rich. Keep us informed!

As requested, here is an update. New dates for this airshow, no longer in August.

At Bruce's suggestion I checked with our contact there who told me the show will be on Sat. and Sun., October 11 and 12, 2014.

The theme is going to change a bit - he still wants DeLoreans there.

More as things develop.

dmc3130
02-24-2014, 09:02 PM
As requested, here is an update. New dates for this airshow, no longer in August.

At Bruce's suggestion I checked with our contact there who told me the show will be on Sat. and Sun., October 11 and 12, 2014.

The theme is going to change a bit - he still wants DeLoreans there.

More as things develop.

Thanks for the update... Looking forward to this one!!!!!:woot:

Rich
05-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Attention NCDMC-ers:

D's on the taxiway in Watsonville this October!!

Updates on this event per a phone call with the show organizer today:

1. While the Watsonville Fly-In is a 2-day affair the Car Show that goes with it is held on the first day, Sat., Oct. 11.
2. The BTTF show theme has been dropped - we go in as regular entries. This is non-judged and all entries are welcome.
3. It will be their 50th Anniversary bash and they'd love to have a group of D's on hand
4. $50 Car Show entry fee includes 2 adult admissions, T-shirt, raffle tix and goodie bag.
5. Entertainment plus lots of food for sale and, of course, there'll be an airshow above us!!

I haven't got a bead on the exact hours but plan on all-day and plan on seeing some great hardware on the ground and in the air.

10 entry forms are in the mail to me. Start clearing your calendars. I'll request a show of hands and send them out sometime in June. Our friends without D's are welcome to join with their favorite other car, as usual!

Registration closes in early Sept. or after 200 cars sign up, whichever is first.

Hand-Schaub
05-29-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the update - sounds really cool!

Bruce Johnson
05-30-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm in and when he's done I'm still bringing Doc!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ9GF-v9ymc

ccurzio
06-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm in and when he's done I'm still bringing Doc!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ9GF-v9ymc

Hello, nightmares.

Bruce Johnson
06-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Could be worse....

Rich
07-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Update:
The entry forms are now online for this event. Let's show some stainless and some gullwings at a carshow-airshow!

Those who want to show their car at the Carshow at the Watsonville Fly-in and Airshow can download and print an entry form and send it in to the show organizer with the entry fee.

Please also post here if you register. We might organize something drive-wise depending on who's coming in from which area. Keep in mind that we may need to be on the tarmac early - arriving as a group's always a good idea, too. Details later.

Fly-In & Airshow main page: http://watsonvilleflyin.org/index.php
Car Show Registration form: http://watsonvilleflyin.org/pdfs/FlyInCarShowFlyer2014.pdf
Car Show main page: http://watsonvilleflyin.org/car-show.php

I'm planning to attend. Note that the entry form says it's for cars 1976 and older - we will be an exception.

Bruce, there's plenty of room for you to bring Doc along! He'll love the planes there.

Details below are still accurate.

Attention NCDMC-ers:

D's on the taxiway in Watsonville this October!!

1. While the Watsonville Fly-In is a 2-day affair the Car Show that goes with it is held on the first day, Sat., Oct. 11.
2. The BTTF show theme has been dropped - we go in as regular entries. This is non-judged and all entries are welcome.
3. It will be their 50th Anniversary bash and they'd love to have a group of D's on hand
4. $50 Car Show entry fee includes 2 adult admissions, T-shirt, raffle tix and goodie bag.
5. Entertainment plus lots of food for sale and, of course, there'll be an airshow above us!!
Our friends without D's are welcome to join with their favorite other car, as usual!

Registration closes in early Sept. or after 200 cars sign up, whichever is first.

Bruce Johnson
07-31-2014, 12:14 AM
We're in (Doc and I that is)

Bruce

Rich
08-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Bumping this invitation and sharing recent details, mostly about show arrival and departure times for the Oct. 11 event.

Arrival: Cars can enter from 7:30-9:30AM and it's not very strict. If somebody needs to arrive after 9:30AM then Bill will get you in. There is a pancake breakfast there at 8AM, cost $8.

Grouping the NCDMC cars: We can have the cars together as long as we know how many spots to arrange for in advance. That may help anybody who needs extra time getting there that morning.

The car show starts around 10AM and the airshow starts at 11:00 or 11:30AM.

Departure time: The show runs "all day" which to me means you can leave when you like.

PM me if you are having trouble getting hold of the entry form from their website.

Bruce Johnson
08-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Kyle and I will be there in our cars. Is that 3 cars so far?

Bruce

Rich
08-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Kyle and I will be there in our cars. Is that 3 cars so far?

Bruce

As far as I know we're at 3 so far, including me.

Did I mention the tethered hot air balloon and helicopter rides available on Sat. AM for those who want some aerial photo action?

Am looking forward to seeing the 2 P-51 Mustangs they say will be at the show. And the NCDMC crew and cars, of course.

Everybody remember that your Car Show entry fee covers 2 adult admissions to the airshow - next to our cars - ($40 value) plus a T-shirt and goodie bag.

Bruce Johnson
08-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Now there's a photo op!

dmc3130
08-17-2014, 11:52 PM
I'm checking my schedule....It's soccer time for my girls, but we haven't got the game schedule yet. But we hope to make it......

Stephen

Bumping this invitation and sharing recent details, mostly about show arrival and departure times for the Oct. 11 event.

Arrival: Cars can enter from 7:30-9:30AM and it's not very strict. If somebody needs to arrive after 9:30AM then Bill will get you in. There is a pancake breakfast there at 8AM, cost $8.

Grouping the NCDMC cars: We can have the cars together as long as we know how many spots to arrange for in advance. That may help anybody who needs extra time getting there that morning.

The car show starts around 10AM and the airshow starts at 11:00 or 11:30AM.

Departure time: The show runs "all day" which to me means you can leave when you like.

PM me if you are having trouble getting hold of the entry form from their website.

Rich
09-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Update:
As of this week we have Kyle, Bruce, David and me making a tentative total of 4 cars, plus Doc.

If anyone else can join in just let us know. As far as I know it's not too late to register.

Remember, the deal is that the car show is at and during an airshow. You register and you get 2 admissions to both.

I'll PM the attendees about final info as it comes in - we'll figure out how to get a group parking area in the show.

DavidProehl
09-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Somehow this is the first I'm seeing the DMCTalk thread, but I'm definitely going to be there as you mentioned in your previous post. Looking forward to it!

spedlot
09-24-2014, 05:04 PM
I would love to go as it's fairly close to me 2 hours away. However my car is down at the moment and won't be fixed until December. Maybe next year.

Sent from my time machine

Rich
10-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Fun in the sun at Watsonville last Saturday:

3 DeLoreans - all '81 5-speeds showed up, attended by Doc Brown himself as well as owners Kyle, Bruce and Rich (and Kyle's sisters, too). David's D decided it needed it's charge-bulb-fuse circuit looked at, delaying his arrival beyond the entry window.

It was a fun crowd with plenty of folks enjoying the cars as well as admiringthe remote-controlled animatronic talking (!) Doc that Kyle and Bruce debuted there. Great Scott!! See photos.

The show was pretty cool, including aerobatic/formation/warbird antics overhead. The finale included 6 - yes 6 - P-51 Mustangs, a P-40 Warhawk and an F6F Hellcat all in the air at one time along with AT6 trainers making a splendid racket.

Some of you remember this posted originally as a potential BTTF-themed show. A trademark issue arose and they canned it. There was word floating around from the management Saturday that they've since sorted out the issue with the studio such that they may go with the Back to the Future show theme NEXT year. So all you NCDMCers keep early October open in '15.

31162 31163 31166 31170 31169
31168 31167 31171 31172

Rich
10-13-2014, 11:11 PM
And my favorite photo from Bruce showing Doc doing what he did best on Saturday:

Bruce Johnson
10-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Kevin had to work that day and was on assignment for the Sentinel:

Classic cars take viewers on a trip through time at the Watsonville Municipal Airport Saturday during the 50th annual Watsonville Fly-In and Air Show. (Kevin Johnson -- Santa Cruz Sentinel)