PDA

View Full Version : How To: install a new radio faceplate

Shep
07-21-2013, 08:13 PM
I just did this one yesterday, and unfortunately forgot to take pictures along the way, but pretty much this is how the interior's going to look once you get to the point of removing the old faceplate:

http://vin559.com/images/work_done/cupholder/resized/cupholder05_640.jpg

Needless to say, this will take a while. I was mostly "flying blind", so it took me 4-5 hours, but your mileage may vary. If anyone who has gone through this process has pictures, it would be most appreciated!

First and foremost, bag and tag absolutely every nut and bolt you remove so you know where it goes later. You can never be too careful with this. Second, and I cannot stress this enough: disconnect the battery!!! You are messing with electronics here, I can guarantee you that if you do not do this, damage will result in one way or the other. Don't skimp on this one!

Third, and this will be more applicable as this how-to gets older and older: before reading this entire write-up, read the subsequent replies. They will provide valuable input (and possibly pictures!) that will be helpful to remember when following this write-up. Then, and only then, read the write-up with those replies in mind. Believe me, it helps! :)

Shifter surround
1) Remove as much of the shifter knob as possible. For manuals, this means removing the ball and boot/gate. For automatics, this means removing the handle, retaining nut, metal piece, and spring.
2) Unscrew the shifter surround via the two screws by the armrest. It should now be loose on that end.
3) Pry up the shifter surround by the loose end. You should see a bunch of wires.
4) Mark the wires that go into the rheostat and their positions (for me it was 1, 3, and 4) and disconnect them.
5) Disconnect the wire going to the clock (if applicable)
6) On Automatics, disconnect the PRND21 light (the gear selection indicator light). I couldn't figure this one out, so I unclipped the white housing from the shifter surround and left it connected.
7) Pull up on the shifter surround until it is removed. If neither you nor the PO have done this before, chances are it'll take a lot of force to break the clips that hold this in place free. They are located at the very front of the surround, on the left and right corners. Remember: don't pry on the plastic, but rather on the clips themselves. Prying on the plastic can result in breaking the shifter surround. Use a long flat screwdriver or trim panel removal tool to break them free.

Armrest
1) On the bracket that the shifter surround screws screw into, there are two bolts on either side. On mine, the size was 5/16", but your mileage may vary. Unscrew both of these.
2) Remove the rear tray behind the armrest via the two screws. I think there were two more 5/16" bolts here plainly visible, although I'm not sure on that one.
3) Remove the ashtray by sliding it open, then pulling up on the tab. This will give you something to hold onto when removing the center trim.
4) Carefully pull up and unplug both window switches, the defroster switch, and remove both dummy switches (or any aftermarket switches you may have installed)

HVAC Controls
1) Pull the three knobs off the HVAC controls For later reference, the outer two are identical, while the inner one has a line on both sides and a different connection style
2) Behind the "mode switch" (the center dial), there is a very small but long screw. Using a small screwdriver (a small phillips "bit" works great here), unscrew and remove it.
3) The HVAC panel will now be loose. Carefully pull it away from the faceplate by tilting the top downwards. There are three bulbs that go into spaces in the bottom part -- the ordering of these three is IMPORTANT! Usually after 30 years, the wiring has solidified into place and you can more or less figure out which bulb goes where, but it never hurts to mark which bulb goes where ("1", "2", and "3").
4) [to be followed when directions are reversed for reassembly] The "mode switch" has a nasty tendency to fall behind the faceplate. With the radio removed, it's fairly easy to push it back into place, however if the radio must be installed (as was the case with mine), it is still possible to reach in where the vents used to be and wiggle it into place. It's harder, but it's more about figuring out where the rod for the dial is and lining it up than anything.

Vent
1) Grabbing the center column of the vent, carefully pull it out. You may have to use a screwdriver to get both the top and bottom to come out at once (for me it was either-or without it).
2) There are two rubber boots that connect the vent to the whatchamacallit behind it. Removal is easy, however reinstallation can be hard as they deform easily. One tip I read is to put them in the freezer for a couple hours, so when you remove them, throw them in the freezer before proceeding. Once they are snug on the vents, they usually do not move much and reinstallation is a breeze.

Craig/ASI Radio
1) First, pull the dials off of the radio.
2) There are two thin hex nuts that hold the radio in place. You can either use a deep socket for these or a wrench (don't recall the size offhand). Once they're loose, they come off easily with your hands.
3) There is a trim piece that these hex nuts hold down with diagrams for the knobs. Remove it.
4) The radio should now fall backwards. Push it back a bit further until it is completely behind the panel
5) Using the space the radio was previously in, push the radio up and out the space where the vents previously resided
6) At some point, the radio will "snag" -- disconnect the antenna and any wires from the radio, then remove

Knee pads
This one needs no step directions as it's a simple matter of unscrewing four nuts on the driver's side, and six nuts on the passenger side. Here's some notes however:
- The driver's side has two kneepads. You only need to remove the right one (or, in the case of right-hand drive DeLoreans, the left one), which has four nuts. While it is not absolutely necessary, loosening the steering wheel and pushing it all the way up helps accessibility of the nuts drastically
- The passenger side has one kneepad, which has six nuts (four on the bottom, two on the top corners). There is also a vent that goes to the door, which takes about two seconds to disconnect and reconnect.
- Nut sizes are either 5/16" or 10mm (I don't recall offhand). Often they are nylocs, but if you're lucky, you'll get regular nuts. Nylocs tend to grip the studs too tight and cause them to back out when you attempt to remove them. Nylocs provide no added benefit, so do yourself a favor and buy about 10-15 regular nuts that also fit the same threads. You'll thank yourself later.
- If a stud comes out, it will remain in the bracket, and you'll need a flathead screwdriver to remove the nut. If this happens, use two regular nuts tightened against each other to reinstall the stud. Do NOT tighten the nut all the way and use that to tighten the stud. While this may seem logical, the nut will become too tight to remove, and will bring the stud back out with it. Two nuts tightened together on the shaft will provide leverage, while allowing one-at-a-time removal to keep the stud in place.
- When you reassemble everything, hand-tighten ONLY! This will secure the kneepad, prevent the studs from coming out he next time, and also allow you to not need tools next time you need to remove them

Center trim
1) Now that you've removed the kneepads, there are two brackets for the lower studs for said kneepads that screw into the center trim. Using a phillips screwdriver, remove both. Bag and tag.
2) The moment of truth, trying to move the center trim! Grabbing behind the area of the rear tray, gently pull up on the trim. It should take a little bit of force, but does not require muscle to remove. If it's not coming up, you missed a nut, bolt, or screw somewhere. Figure out where the "snag" is coming from and address it.
3) When you're moving the center trim, move it rearwards roughly to the point in the picture above. This allows the cigarette lighter to remain connected while still giving you plenty of access to remove the faceplate.

Faceplate
The first thing you'll notice is that access behind the faceplate is suddenly opened up drastically. This will come in handy later when reassembling everything.
1) There are two ground screws on either side of the faceplate. The one on the driver's side has one wire, while the one on the passenger side has three. Remove these bolts. Bag and tag.
2) There are four bolts holding the faceplate in place. Two (at the bottom) have already been removed. The remaining two are at the top, and are located at the edge of the dashboard. You may have a foam block in your way. If you do, work around it, but keep in mind any turning action of a screwdriver will likely disintegrate the foam and make a mess of your screwdriver, so you may want to cover it with something. Note however that these two bolts do not thread into sockets like the rest of these bolts, but rather are held on by nyloc nuts, so you'll need a socket behind and in front of the faceplate to remove it.
3) Once the bolts are off, the faceplate should be loose. Tilt it forward.
4) There are four lights that sit out in the open, around the dials. Referencing the HVAC panel, note which ones go where and Remove these one-by-one. Mark them like the other bulbs. The bulbs simply pull out from the back, while the plastic surrounds can be pushed out from behind to pop out towards you. For each plastic surround you remove, reattach it to the new faceplate by pushing it in from the front.
5) The headlight and hazard switches are tricky business. There are four wedge-type catches on the back of them. Using a screwdriver, press these in and one-by-one push the switch through from the back! Grabbing the button part and pulling on it will take it off, and you will find yourself missing parts and needing to order a new switch (I still have no idea what came out of my headlight switch)
6) There are three dials left. The "mode switch" has likely freed itself by now, so you only need to remove two. The one on the left has a large nut that needs to be removed in order for it to be removed from the faceplate. The size was imperial, and I had to use a deep socket for it, but a wrench works fine too. As with the radio nuts, once you get them loose, they come off by hand easily. Rather than bagging and tagging this nut, when you remove the switch, thread it back on. No need to bag and tag if it's already together!
7) The switch on the right is the last thing standing between you and getting the faceplate off. With a screwdriver (or, preferably, a trim panel removal tool), wiggle it free from the front. The white square needs to be pried forward. The rest is pretty straightforward.

The rest is the reverse of everything above.

Enjoy your new radio! :thumbup:

Jonathan
08-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Hi Shep,

I wrote this "how to" of sorts for another local owner via email. After seeing your thread here, I thought I would cut and paste it in in case someone else finds it useful. I have several more photos of different aspects if you think of a certain angle that might be helpful explaining something. Just let me know.

P.S. I've enjoyed reading many of your other thoughts on things having nothing to do with cars. You get a huge attaboy high five from me for being who you are and helping others similar to yourself :)

~~~~~

Hey,

Great looking collection of stereo spaghetti!! Wow... not unheard of though thankfully.

So it looks like your radio bracket is able to handle a DIN wide deck already? Not changing it out makes it easier for you.

If you are going to put in new speakers front and rear, would you also redo the speaker wiring? Not sure what is already in there. The factory stuff was sloppy and shared grounds, which apparently doesn't work with new decks. Not likely still a shared ground though in your case.

The part about replacing speaker wiring is that if you go ahead and remove the seats and also the carpet, it makes for a great time to clean up and tidy up areas that can get pretty ugly. Plus when you put it all back together you can keep the wires organized and ensure nothing is rubbing on something sharp.

The speaker wiring is super easy and honestly I used some extra decent gauge stuff I had from a home surround sound set-up. I won't get into the rear or front speaker installs until needed. Just let me know.

If you are running a new deck, and if it is one of the Alpine ones (I got the CDE-126BT model), I believe the only wires you need from the car/harness are the always on power wire, the switched power wire with the ignition, and a ground wire (which will likely also splice off and terminate at the screw on the side of the radio bracket along with about 4 other grounds from the HVAC panels and lights and what not). I didn't do anything with the microphone or bluetooth part as I don't fool around with phones while I drive (personal preference in any car, much less the DeLorean).

You do not need to keep the inline glass fuses if they are still in your power wiring up towards the deck. The new deck has a micro fuse built into the back of it and the power wiring from the fuse and relay area will be fused as well. If you aren't going the route of a subwoofer (and I did not either) you won't need any extra special power wiring nor fusing.

You should be able to see which wires among all that at the HVAC panel go to various places. If you have any questions, let me know as I had a pretty good handle on it when mine was apart. This includes the wires going to the window switches, cigar lighter, and gear shifter light (for an auto, but if you have a stick shift, the wires might have been clipped back). Rheostat wiring is under there too and the console clock connector.

When you put a new deck in, you'll want to be conscious of the metal strap that helps hold it in place. Since I replaced my bracket with the DIN sized one, I had the vents out above the radio. This lets you get good access to reach the bolt holding that strap in place, but getting the rubber sleeves back on the vents can test your patience.

What you can likely do to make it easier on yourself for the Alpine connector, is make sure you have enough slack to get it put back in there when you are ready, but do your connections in the passenger footwell as a work area. I ran the speaker wiring loosely and just to more or less make sure I had enough length, and then once I had all four corners organized and already connected to the speakers they were going to, I then soldered the deck end of the speaker wires to the corresponding Alpine connector wires. It was really easy in all honesty and I had never soldered anything in my life before then. YouTube how to solder. Less is more is important I found so not to glob it all over the map.

With the battery out or disconnected of course, I soldered the two power wires and the ground to the Alpine connector. When the deck was in there and bolted in place using the metal strap, I plugged in the antenna wire (mine is in the front fender so no extra wires, yours could be different if it is powered?). I ran this somewhat neatly under the HVAC duct going under the glovebox. The same goes for the iPod cable. This part is really slick and super easy. It is a special cable that came with the Alpine deck. The end that plugs into the deck is a unique square shape and the end that goes in the glovebox is the one you usually see that plugs into the bottom of your iPod. I neatly tucked it under the glovebox and HVAC duct and had it poke up at the latch believe it or not. I replaced my glovebox a couple years ago and I'm not sure if this gap is supposed to be quite this big, but below the latch on the inside is a little space that goes down and you can feel the cable through and then route it over to the centre console and into the deck.

The beauty of the iPod control is that my iPod has not moved from inside the glovebox since I put it in there. It powers it when it is being used but is smart enough not to power it when the car is off so your battery is okay. You can control all your songs and playlists and what not from the deck controls on the Alpine. I won't tell you it is quite intuitive yet, but it is all there and I think I just need to get used to only having a couple buttons and a dial instead of a mouse and keyboard while looking at iTunes. It works well though and most of the time I go for a drive, I put on my 80s DMC playlist and it just does it's thing :)

If I didn't already mention it, having the seats out and letting you lie or crawl up in the passenger or drivers footwell can really help. It is not the easiest place to fit your hands and arms and see what you are doing with ample lighting and with tools and parts in your hands while not trying to drop it on your face, lol.

Once all your wires are connected and you clip the main connector in, that should really be about it. Put the battery back in and give it a shot. Some of the wires need to be plugged in before your dash lights work and what not, so before you trouble shoot something else not working, put your whole console back together. I found when my rheostat wasn't plugged in, the instrument cluster lights didn't turn on.

Here are a couple photos.

The one showing the front of the Craig radio shows you the ground wires/loop ends that still need to be terminated back to the bracket. You can also see part of the metal strap that helps hold the deck in place.
The one showing the back of the Alpine deck shows you the iPod connector (with the blue end on it) as well as the Alpine main connector where you can see some of the wires I would solder to (you don't use all of them, specifically the ones with these rubber ends on them for things like subs or VGA type inputs or something like that).
The third picture shows my original speaker wiring all lying in the passenger footwell before it got ripped out for good.

Let me know how it goes. Yea, call me for sure if you have questions.

~~~~~

Shep
08-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Excellent writeup and pictures Jonathan! And thanks for the compliment! :biggrin:

If there's one thing I would change, it would be to disconnect the battery first, prior to even taking the HVAC control panel off. It's one less thing you have to worry about when you start disassembly, and will prevent blown fuses from accidental shorts while working. You can never be too careful with the electrical system! :)

Re-reading the write-up I did, I suddenly realize why my headlights don't work. I broke the switch when I pulled the plastic off :facepalm: Major, major tip that I really should have followed myself: test everything when you're done: headlights, hazards, rheostat, clock, radio, HVAC controls, warning lights, and anything else I may have missed. I neglected to do this and couldn't figure out my headlights wouldn't work at 9:30 PM trying to get home. Thank god holding the brights on worked or I would've had nothing! On a positive note, that'll give me an excuse to do the headlight relay upgrade. Some days...