PDA

View Full Version : Fuel level senders?

TTait
07-28-2013, 05:47 PM
I have been unimpressed with the Houston stand alone fuel level sender - and the tankzilla is long gone - what are the other options? Does Ed uding have a different sender, or is it the Houston one? Grady? Josh? Hervey? What else is there out there that works well?

Tom

Bitsyncmaster
07-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Hervey was showing a new one at DCS-12.

Delorean Industries
07-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Suffering with everyone else. I'll be on this right after binnacles.

kings1527
07-28-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm hearing the integrated fuel sender/fuel pump combo from Houston is awesome. To the point where vendors are having trouble keeping them in stock. It also fixes the collapsing tube problem by removing it from the design altogether.

I drove my car the other day at 220 degree engine temp with max AC and an ambient of about 100-105 F for two hours. Once I got off the freeway, my pump was buzzing like never before, started to cavitate, and I had to pull over for about 20 min and wait for things to cool off a bit. I'm picking up the new unit and then I'll get a new sender along with it that's very accurate. That'll be two problems gone with one install!

Chris 16409
07-29-2013, 12:56 AM
Josh should chime in on his new and collapse proof pick up hose.

TTait
07-29-2013, 01:20 AM
I'm hearing the integrated fuel sender/fuel pump combo from Houston is awesome.

I believe it, but the price is steep if all I need is the sender. I'm running Hervey's power pump with his baffle set up, no problems after several years - it all still looks good. My only issue is the sender, which is intermittently fine, and occasionally fails. Still, when it works it's accurate, so it beats the readily available option. I'm encouraged to hear Josh has it on a to-do list - I may have to wait for him to get around to it...

Dunno about Hervey's - not really an option anyway as I'm on the Dallas Black List. Curious to hear if it works though.

T

DeLorean03
07-29-2013, 01:33 AM
I believe it, but the price is steep if all I need is the sender.

Was in the exact same boat as you. Had John's fuel baffle kit - eliminated all that 1981 junk - and had his 957 fuel pump installed in my car. I did everything I could do to make my fuel pump bulletproof with DMCH's stand-alone fuel sending unit.

Finally, I popped $400 for it, and I have nearly never looked back. The design very nice, new, and similar to that of a modern car. It gets rid of that junk-crap rubber fuel boot that never seems to stay in place or gets tears in it. The design keeps fuel completely covering the pump no matter how low the fuel level is, keeping the pump cool and eliminates the "stutter, sputter, or stammer" the car exhibits when pushing down on the gas too hard if the fuel level is too low.

Yeah, $400 is a bit steep for just the sender, but the assurance it brought me along with the modern day asthetics and design were well worth it to me.

kings1527
07-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Dunno about Hervey's - not really an option anyway as I'm on the Dallas Black List. Curious to hear if it works though.

T

If you decide to go with Hervey's fuel sender, let me know. I think you're up in SCV and I'll get it to you.

Yeah, $400 is a bit steep for just the sender, but the assurance it brought me along with the modern day asthetics and design were well worth it to me.

That's exactly where my mind's at, too.

TTait
07-29-2013, 07:18 PM
I am - but I'm cautious about Hervey stuff in the first place, and nobody seems to be chiming in about what a great unit it is - so again I think its best to wait for Josh... So Josh, when you have a beta unit you need tested - let me know! Next week, the week after, whatever works...:evil3:

Bitsyncmaster
07-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Hervey's unit looked nice but I think you should use a micro with any of these senders. That way you can use smart filters to prevent tank slosh from showing up on the gauge.

dmruschell
07-29-2013, 11:21 PM
I recently ordered and received a sender from DMCMW. They ended up getting it from Europe. Apparently, they made a small batch of them, but I may have gotten the last one that DMCMW had. I replaced a Houston sender that started giving inconsistent readings, usually too high (I have our old one if anyone wants to try and fix it).

The European sender is affected by slosh a little bit more than the Houston sender was. Our particular European sender had a problem where the low fuel light would stay on constantly. I called DMCMW and they offered me a refund if I returned it, but basically said they don't have any more and don't know if or when they'll get more. So, I pulled the wire out of the plug ( on the sender side) so now our light won't ever come on. But, as long as our gauge works, I'm happy.

All that to say, they might have a few in Europe.