PDA

View Full Version : How To: Repair Eyebrows with Fascia Attached

DavidProehl
07-11-2011, 09:08 PM
"How To" Link: How to Repair Eyebrows with Fascia Attached (http://goo.gl/PCqzj)

I just completed this job over the weekend and am very happy with the results! I figured I'd write a how-to for this job since once isn't on DMCTalk yet and those elsewhere didn't seemed to show either removing the fascia or using steel bars.

Please let me know if you see any typos and I'll fix them.

Also, for some reason I couldn't get the attachment functionality to work, so I've uploaded to Google Docs instead. You'll want to download the PDF rather than viewing it in Google's viewer in order to see the pictures clearly.

I hope this helps others looking to do this job!

Edit by Sean: Here is the PDF uploaded for prosperity

Byrne H&A
08-14-2011, 12:50 PM
See: www.Deloreanupgradeparts.com for a very easy and simple procedure to install our high steel strength bars. Instructrions included in the box. We have been installing and marketing these bars for twenty years. Byrne

Fluxat88MPH
08-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Great write up.

"How To" Link: How to Repair Eyebrows with Fascia Attached (http://goo.gl/PCqzj)

I just completed this job over the weekend and am very happy with the results! I figured I'd write a how-to for this job since once isn't on DMCTalk yet and those elsewhere didn't seemed to show either removing the fascia or using steel bars.

Please let me know if you see any typos and I'll fix them.

Also, for some reason I couldn't get the attachment functionality to work, so I've uploaded to Google Docs instead. You'll want to download the PDF rather than viewing it in Google's viewer in order to see the pictures clearly.

I hope this helps others looking to do this job!

Edit by Sean: Here is the PDF uploaded for prosperity

DeLorean03
08-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Excellent write-up. Nice, colored photos. This is a GREAT example of doing a write-up with step-by-step instructions and pictures to show what you're talking about. Well done.

EdFerri
09-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the very clear directions! I need to tackle this job VERY soon.

Lou and "Boo"
07-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the very clear directions! I need to tackle this job VERY soon.

Yes ! Thank you for posting these excellent instructions. I did this job today and it came out wonderful.

Louis Duet
"Boo" VIN 5835
Baldwin, NY (Long Island)

DavidProehl
07-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes ! Thank you for posting these excellent instructions. I did this job today and it came out wonderful.

Louis Duet
"Boo" VIN 5835
Baldwin, NY (Long Island)

You're welcome! So glad a few others have been able to make use of this!

bfloyd
04-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Going to attempt this on my car tonight. How far back into the fascia do the bars need to go?

DavidProehl
04-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Going to attempt this on my car tonight. How far back into the fascia do the bars need to go?

Not sure exactly what you mean... are you talking about how far towards the front of the car do you push the bars into the recess? I pushed them in all the way such that they couldn't be pushed in any deeper.

bfloyd
04-28-2016, 12:13 PM
Thanks David, that was the answer I was looking for. I just worded the question wrong.

05-01-2016, 05:43 PM
See: www.Deloreanupgradeparts.com for a very easy and simple procedure to install our high steel strength bars. Instructrions included in the box. We have been installing and marketing these bars for twenty years. Byrne

link no longer works

DavidProehl
05-01-2016, 06:10 PM
link no longer works

He retired a month or two ago.

05-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Darn. Delorean eyebrows are not so fleek.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

FABombjoy
05-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Home Depot has the bar stock you need and Advance/Autozone will have the urethane adhesive.

bfloyd
05-10-2016, 04:13 PM
I started this repair last night, and now I'm kind of stumped. I removed the headlights, grill, and the headlight mounts , so basically the front end of the car has a big hole all the way across the fascia. I tried mounting the 2x4 to the fascia with my clamps, but upon tightening the clamps, it made the deformity in the fascia worse - not better. I used my heat gun (on the lowest setting) and shot it from underneath and it helped a little, but just held constant pressure on it with my hand until it cooled down. On a scale of 0-100, I'd say only 10%-15% my "eyebrows" are still visible. I'm hoping the flat stock bar will take care of the rest.

What's the best way to mount these clamps without deforming the fascia worse than it already was?

Mark D
05-10-2016, 04:56 PM
I just saw someone on the "Delorean Fanatics" facebook page who posted a series of eyebrow fix photos. I can't get to that page at the moment, but it may be worth searching that out to see his clamping arrangement. From the photos the guy did a great job getting the fascia back to perfectly flat.

EDIT:
Here's a link to the FB post
https://m.facebook.com/groups/116227491775513?view=permalink&id=1122152201183032

When I did an eyebrow fix on my car I removed the fascia completely and used a heat gun to straighten everything out to about 95 and then loosely installed the metal bars to check fit. 3M window weld was the adhesive I used to glue in the bars. Once the fascia was back on the car I did a little more manipulating with the heat gun. After a nice warm day parked in the sun everything finally straightened out 100%.

Rich_NYS
05-11-2016, 12:14 PM
I've had the fascia off, as well as just the headlights removed. For me, removing the fascia was less of a hassle and easier to do a nicer job.

Henrik
08-04-2016, 10:44 AM
What are the conditions that lead to eye-browing, and how long time would a D have to be exposed to those conditions for the fascia to start buckling?

I am asking b/c I am considering taking my (almost completely) eye-brow free D to an all-day event tomorrow and it's 100 deg and not a cloud in the sky.

DavidProehl
08-04-2016, 12:10 PM
What are the conditions that lead to eye-browing, and how long time would a D have to be exposed to those conditions for the fascia to start buckling?

I am asking b/c I am considering taking my (almost completely) eye-brow free D to an all-day event tomorrow and it's 100 deg and not a cloud in the sky.

I'm not sure it has ever been proven but everyone has their theories. Things I've heard:

Heat from headlights (I don't buy this one)
Fascias were made slightly too large and then pushed together causing rippling (Maybe, but wouldn't we see more than only eyebrows from that kind of stress?).
Frequent heat fluctuations, often times from sitting in the sun for long periods of time - such as being stored outside. This is something I think is most likely. It isn't a blanket rule, but from what I've seen, cars that have spent their lives indoors don't have as bad of eyebrows as those that have been parked outside. A PO of my car had it parked outside, and I had eyebrows.

I wouldn't worry about taking the car out on hot days. Just don't park it for a couple years outside in the sun. If you don't have eyebrows yet, you probably don't need to worry about it. Unless you have a museum car, it has probably seen hot sunny days before and has done just fine.

gulwng3
08-04-2016, 12:35 PM

I had small eyebrows, then changed out the headlights last month and now have large eyebrows due to the strain I exerted to get to the top screws. Just saying...

Andy

Henrik
08-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Thanks David and Andy. Great feedback.

... it has probably seen hot sunny days before and has done just fine.

Good point. My D has been in Texas for most, if not its entire, life.

Helirich
02-22-2021, 08:21 PM
Excellent how to!

I just did this and I have a couple things to add.

1. It should be stated the grill is held by 8 small balls. (Like grease nipples) These balls fit in to spring sockets. It's nice to know how it is held before you go pulling on it. It is very difficult to pull off. I used a hook tool. It seemed to make it easier.

2. Someone mentioned the 2 by 4 made the situation worse. I think this is because they tried to use one board across the whole front. I put a straight edge on the front and found there is a slight crown in the hood/fascia. I assume this is to drain water. If you use a single piece of wood, you are pushing the center of the fascia down. I used two pieces of wood about 2' long.

I have to say, on viewing his pics, it maybe he did one side at a time. In the pic, it looks like his wood was about 3/4 across the car. He didn't mention this and maybe I'm wrong on how he did it, but I suggest the two piece approach.

Edit, I just reread his post and he said a 3' long piece of wood, so he must have done one side at a time.

3. I also suggest wareing rubber gloves. Once you get the aluminum bars in place, you can strip them off and place your clamps. (You don't want to spread any of that glue on something while clamping) Also, I would mask the bottom of the fascia under the bars in case you get a few drops off the bars. It's pretty sticky, so this may not be an issue.

DavidProehl
02-22-2021, 08:28 PM
Glad this was helpful!

Great points. Yes, I did use the two piece approach. The instructions do call out in the materials section to use a single 3 foot board. I see in the PDF it is hard to tell that the board does not go the full length of the facia due to the angle the photo was taken. Maybe that caused confusion.