PDA

View Full Version : Knoxville, TN Tech Day in the Works! Mid-August?

RedDMC
07-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Recently, I was put in touch with another D owner in the area and we have been tossing around the idea of resurrecting our old area DeLorean club (formerly ETDOC circa 1999-2005). Back in the day, under the direction of a guy named Aaron Posey, we used to have some pretty serious tech days at a local Cadillac dealership. The dealership is gone, but the local VW guru has a pretty nice garage with a lift that he would be willing to let us use. We thought this might be a cool way to get some people together and to gauge interest in future events. Right now we are looking at August 17 or August 24. Any thoughts?

John Weaver
REDDMC #10527

Iznodmad
07-30-2013, 10:06 AM
I remember the ETDOC days very well, it was a lot of fun. Who is the other owner you speak of? I didn't think anyone was still an owner anymore from those days, other than yourself. Are there specific projects you are wanting to accomplish? The 24th might be doable for me, but don't base your decision on just me. Anyone else interested?

RedDMC
07-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Hey D.D., he's not a guy from back in the day. You know him however, his name is Ty Craig. We met on a mutual friend's facebook page.

flyerdiva
07-30-2013, 10:19 AM
My name is Ty Craig. I am the other D owner in the area. I was not around in the days of Mr. Posey. I am not a mechanic but love the car. I would enjoy meeting any other fans or owners in the area. As a tidbit, another owner Kyle Metelka and I have sequential vin cars from 1981.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Bikercmbc
07-30-2013, 12:20 PM
I cant make any of those weekends during the day, possibly could make it if they were in the evening or if you want to move it to sept I could meet for one then.

Michael
07-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Definitely something I could attend as well. Only 90 min. away from me. Let me know.

RedDMC
07-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah, absolutely nothing is set in stone. We could do this in September or later in August. Really, just getting together some relatively local DeLorean folks would be cool, so we will do it whenever the most people can make it. I'm thinking that the car work stuff should focus on minor fixes (meaning let's not rebuild a transmission or anything). I know that Ty has a speedometer issue (angle drive perhaps) and needs to do his fuel sender boot. I don't currently have much that needs to be done except changing the oil maybe.

Bikercmbc
07-30-2013, 01:25 PM
I can bring the tools, I spoke with Ty about his boot a few weeks ago, thats a simple repar. and is yours. which local VW mechanic?
I have a few other owners in knox area that i could let them know about it but dont know if they will come or not.
the earlier you can finalize a day in sept the better, ill make surte im off work that weekend

Michael
07-30-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm open to any date. Just give me a week or so notice.

Nice to see a tech day closer to me. The SEDOC needs to be renamed to the Atlanta Delorean Owners Club since that's where most all of the meet ups take place.

Ron
07-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Naaa. We have had meets from just outside of Murphy, NC to Columbia, SC. and Gainesville....

We've just been a bunch of slackers lately!

RedDMC
07-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Biker, my VW dude isn't a pro VW mechanic, just a shadetree with a really nice garage. I picked him because he will let us use his lift, etc. I've done the boot a few times as well, nothing to it. The speedo issue is relatively easy as well, so long as he doesn't need cables too. I've probably met the other owners around here, but I don't know where they've all gotten to. It would be nice to have a few out though. In any case, we shall pin down a date.

BTW, if anyone is close to Knoxville August 18, the local Audi/Porshce/VW/Fiat/Jaguar dealer is putting on a big cars and coffee event. I saw pics from the last one and there was only one DeLorean there. It would be cool to have a showing.

Bikercmbc
07-30-2013, 03:21 PM
That was me at the last Harper's cars and coffee. I got there kinda late but parked beside the merc sls gullwing. I'll try to make it to the sun august 18 show. it is always a huge turnout with lots of exotic cars.

Delorean02378
07-30-2013, 03:27 PM
I can bring the tools, I spoke with Ty about his boot a few weeks ago, thats a simple repar. and is yours. which local VW mechanic?
I have a few other owners in knox area that i could let them know about it but dont know if they will come or not.
the earlier you can finalize a day in sept the better, ill make surte im off work that weekend

I'd come over from Nashville in September as long as Kyle puts me up at the lake house where I can sit on the dock and drink beer afterwards. :thumbup:

Bikercmbc
07-30-2013, 03:28 PM
yes, you can stay and drink beer afterward.

RedDMC
07-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Wait, I had forgotten that you (Biker) were Kyle. Haha! We met at Sean Howley's house years ago for some sort of barbeque. I gotta second 02378, beer and docks go well together.

Bikercmbc
07-30-2013, 04:20 PM
yep, thats me. well we can plan a sat tech session and then a mountain run and then cookout after the drive if we want to.

RedDMC
07-30-2013, 04:25 PM
OK, now we are talking! Starting to sound more like the fun we used to have back in the Posey days.

Bikercmbc
07-30-2013, 04:58 PM
the lake house is way out in Vonore. there is enought room if we had a few car to do the tech session there if we want to but wouldnt have access to a lift, which from the repairs doesnt seem like we need one. its an option, if that where it turn out to be just need to make sure its ok to have people out there

Roman Legion
08-01-2013, 07:56 PM
If I can fit coming down into my college schedule and the weather isn't bad, I'll be there. It's a good 2 hrs 33 min ride one way, but it gives me an excuse to take my Ninja on a nice long ride and see some DeLoreans.

Rad Dad
08-01-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm a 50/50 for whatever you decide. I can come and probably claim the prize for the D with the most miles.

Dick Ryan
Hendersonville , NC

Rad Dad
08-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Oh, and if I don't get that prize I'll certainly get the prize for the oldest owner.!!!!!

The Rad Dad

tgraham
08-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Recently, I was put in touch with another D owner in the area and we have been tossing around the idea of resurrecting our old area DeLorean club (formerly ETDOC circa 1999-2005). Back in the day, under the direction of a guy named Aaron Posey, we used to have some pretty serious tech days at a local Cadillac dealership.

Wow - this is a blast from the past! Good to see that you still have your D, John!

I think somewhere I have some photos from one of those get-togethers that I actually made it to (though that one was less about working on cars and more about taking Aaron's boat to the lake, which is always a good plan in my book).

Travis

Iznodmad
08-02-2013, 02:35 PM
I've got a complete video of
Several of our old ETDOC events on DVD. If I can make the event, I'll bring it with me and we can all look and laugh at our younger selves.

RedDMC
08-02-2013, 02:42 PM
I've got a complete video of
Several of our old ETDOC events on DVD. If I can make the event, I'll bring it with me and we can all look and laugh at our younger selves.

Oh dear god no! Actually, that would be pretty funny to see. I'm glad you got some of that on film.

Travis! Very good to see you on here. It's like a reunion. Yes, you are correct. We drove the D's to Tapoco, got in Aaron's YukonXL and blew it out on the lake. Not a bad DeLorean meet. I miss the SkiBob!

Bikercmbc
08-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Well, I backed out on purchasing another project car. I can now do a tech session first weekend in sept, the 7th. we can do a light tech session then hit up the dragon and then come back and grill out,even watch the old videos if you all want to.

about2livethedream
08-08-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm a 50/50 for whatever you decide. I can come and probably claim the prize for the D with the most miles.

Dick Ryan
Hendersonville , NC

Maybe I can hitch a ride with you?!

Delorean02378
08-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Lets come up with a firm date on this. Is everyone good for Sept. 7th ? Kyle how much would it be to rent your friend's shop with the lift for the afternoon (12:00 PM - 5:00 PM) ? We may not need it but would be nice to have access.

The only weekend I can't meet in Sept. is the 14th.

Delorean02378
08-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Just confirmed with Kyle the date will be Sept. 7th. How many people can make it?

Bikercmbc
08-10-2013, 07:40 PM
I've gotten off work for sept 7th. I will contact my friend about doing a small tech session in his shop and then we can hit up the dragon for a quick run. Who all is thinking of coming?

andy blackmon
08-10-2013, 08:03 PM
I've gotten off work for sept 7th. I will contact my friend about doing a small tech session in his shop and then we can hit up the dragon for a quick run. Who all is thinking of coming?

Sept works but what time and where?
Andy B

Bikercmbc
08-12-2013, 11:48 AM
I still need to talk to my friend about using his shop. The shop is located in Maryville, TN which is about 30 min from knoxville. The Dragon is located about 30 min from his shop. None of the original poster have even been on here since the beginning so i will try to contact them and see if they are still interested.

RedDMC
08-12-2013, 02:57 PM
This guy is still interested as is Ty. I believe that Sept. 7 will work for me as well.

Bikercmbc
08-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Finalized everything with the shop: Sept 7th we work.
I have talked to my friend about using his shop. we will only be able to use one lift. More for oil changes and inspections of the cars. We won't have the time to do anything major during that day. After we get done working on the cars we can take a dragon run. we can also decide what we want to do for dinner.

here is the list of people coming so far:
Red DMC: Oil change
Delodiva(he is a diver not a diva): fuel boot and tank filter.
Delorean02378: riding in my car

let me know who else will be interested in coming and if you need to lift your car up.

RedDMC
08-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Not something we need to do necessarily on that date, but something that is weighing heavily on my mind. I REALLY need to change my trailing arm bolts. I've never done it and might like some assistance in the matter.

Bikercmbc
08-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Is your car a 5-speed or an automatic?

RedDMC
08-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Auto

RedDMC
08-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Thread goes here now - http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7906-Sept-7th-East-TN-tech-session