PDA

View Full Version : New member getting an old friend back on the road.

Roadster
07-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Hello all,

I have owned a DeLorean since 2000 that was a daily driver but I'll keep a long story short here. As I started commuting more and purchased a more practical car I ended up storing her away. Sadly that was over six years ago and I've decided it's time to bring her back to life.

Last week I pushed her out of my parents garage (they weren't exactly happy about me using their place for so long) and got new tires and a battery. We pushed her to a mechanic that has begun the task of making sure things are safe and driveable. It will be a slow process as I don't have much money to spend but she deserves to have a good life again.

I've been out of the DeLorean scene for some time and was recommended this place by a member here. I'll be absorbing as much information as I can while I dream of getting my dream car out on the road after far too long.

DMC3165
07-12-2011, 05:46 AM
I recently did a similar thing. Without getting too involved in a long story, my D sat for seven years (03-2010). It was my daily driver from 99-2002. For me I was fortunate that the overall condition of the car was very good when it was parked. So getting it running again wasn't very costly or involved. I did get lucky with my fuel system, but the fuel pump and tank baffle needed to be replaced. A good tune up, water pump and a few other odds and ends and I was back on the road. The rest was all non-critical stuff that I could do at my leisure. Good luck and welcome back!

Dangermouse
07-12-2011, 08:04 AM
welcome back and enjoy re-learning all the old tricks

Farrar
07-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Welcome back and enjoy the ride!

Farrar

Mike C.
07-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to your car!! Pretty cool story. Was always wondering how much fun it would be to store it and then resurrect it after x amount of years.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

-Mike

Roadster
07-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. She ran before being parked so my only real worry is the fuel system. There were a few issues with the car that will need attention for safety but I was pleased to find no evidence of excessive rust when we inspected it on the lift. Then it's on to cosmetic stuff as I can afford it.

I was fortunate to find a mechanic so close who is knowledgeable about older European cars and especially the Bosch fuel injection. He said this was his first DeLorean.

The funny thing was how many parts I had bought because I found deals and actually forgot that I stored away. I found all kinds of spares that will help this along. Finding my old broken shift lever made me laugh as I remembered that initial terror of it snapping off on the highway years ago. She's not the best looking example out there but I've had a lot of good memories. Pushing her out of the garage for a wash was actually kind of emotional.

DeLorean03
07-12-2011, 02:21 PM
He said this was his first DeLorean.

Uh oh D: ....

Sounds like he has a good background. Hopefully everything will be all right!

jmrydholm
07-12-2011, 02:37 PM
You're not alone, I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard my mom tell me to "get the DeLorean out of the driveway" these past few years. The irony is now I've parked it in another place, the only difference being that it runs now (most of the time.) Welcome back! I've had mine since '04.

John

dvonk
07-12-2011, 09:58 PM
good to see another D getting back in action! welcome to the forum! :)