PDA

View Full Version : General Windshield fluid not working

Renee_1632
05-25-2011, 12:52 AM
So about three/four weeks ago, I finally got around to putting new windshield fluid in 1632 (I'd just been using Invisible glass prior to this). The reservoir was bone dry when I added about about one-third of the jug. I then went and tried to use it. Nothing happened. Figuring the line was just dry, I held the lever down for about 45 seconds. Still nothing. I'm assuming there's a stoppage somewhere (no, really??) but I have no idea where to even begin in fixing this. Suggestions? Comments? Mockery?

GS450-Junkie
05-25-2011, 08:11 AM
how do you know the pump is working ? They are a common failure part.

DMCMW Dave
05-25-2011, 09:30 AM
You should be able to hear the pump (just in front of the left front tire). If you can't hear it, replace the pump. While you have that cover off drill out the drain holes a lot bigger and the pump will last longer.

PS - Don't try and drill the drain holes with the cover in place, you'll do a nice job of draining out the washer fluid too.

Renee_1632
05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
how do you know the pump is working ? They are a common failure part.

Actually, I don't! I'll start there. I couldn't hear it, and that's probably what it is.

sdg3205
05-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Funny story;

Mine didn't work when I got the car (nothing really did). When I dropped the cover I found a daisy-chain of pumps - none of which worked. I don't know how they crammed multiple pumps in there. What a mess.

Sorry, just had to share!

Mike C.
05-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Renee,

If you look under the car, just in front of the driver's side front tire, you will see an access panel. That's where your pump and tank be...

GS450-Junkie
05-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Luckily when I got my car, it didn't have that access panel so it was really easy. But...now it does :)

Malevy
05-25-2011, 04:48 PM
A place were critters like to hide...

MartyP
05-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Mine doesn't work either, and I dont hear the pump, so I know where to start !

DMCMW Dave
05-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Worst part about this job is getting the rusty bolds holding the cover on to let go without spinning the rivnuts. You may end up cutting off a few.

sdg3205
05-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Worst part about this job is getting the rusty bolds holding the cover on to let go without spinning the rivnuts. You may end up cutting off a few.

Seems like every time I had to remove it I loose another to the spin.

lazabby
05-25-2011, 08:27 PM
I've been working on my windshield washer setup also. I had accidently broke my pump. It was working fine. I ordered and replaced the pump but no fluid is coming out. There is fluid in the line up to the same level that is in the reservoir so I'm not sure why the pump is not pumping. I suspect something electrical. Any ideas?

jawn101
05-25-2011, 09:19 PM
I've been working on my windshield washer setup also. I had accidently broke my pump. It was working fine. I ordered and replaced the pump but no fluid is coming out. There is fluid in the line up to the same level that is in the reservoir so I'm not sure why the pump is not pumping. I suspect something electrical. Any ideas?

When I did mine, the connections were FILTHY. There is a jumper wire between the main harness and the actual pump (you may have to reach up into the fender a bit to unhook it) - I took the jumper wires out and cleaned the connections thoroughly. Then I noticed that at the connector that plugged onto the pump, one of the female blade terminals had pushed back out of the plug instead of clamping onto the pump blade. Check to be sure you have contact at both blades. Put a voltmeter on the wire and push the stalk in - you should see about 12v.

And a new pump, because, well... check the pictures. You can see the pump *looked* OK, until I dug a little deeper...

dmcerm
04-08-2012, 08:59 PM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1239-Washer-Pump-Adapter-(105959)-and-some-pics...

Not sure if you fixed your issue with this yet but I ran into the same thing last summer... The thread details the adventure.
It's a bit late but if it helps, cool. Good luck!

Mark

David T
04-08-2012, 10:18 PM
On my car when I first got it the washer wouldn't squirt either. I heard the pump run though. I went through all of the trouble to drop the bucket to get to the reservoir. I pulled it out and it was full of a sludgy slime. Washed it out with hot water and it was fine. Typically the bucket gets full of water and rots the pump motor. The problem will be obvious once you do drop the bucket. While you have the reservoir out check the plug in the wiring harness that goes to the front end. They can get corroded and the fuel pump circuit is in it and if it gets corroded enough you loose power to the fuel pump. The main problem is the bolts going through the rivenuts get rusty. Once you try to unscrew them they get stuck in the rivenuts and the rivenuts start spinning in the fiberglass. The only option is to carefully grind the heads off of the problem screws. If you overheat the screw heads you will melt the plastic bucket. No biggy, just use some washers when you put it back together. You will need some new rivenuts and the tool to install them. Raising the car and removing the front, left tire will make the job easier.
David Teitelbaum

udecker
04-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I've killed more than a couple of these pumps until I realized that my reservoir was filled with what looked like a primordial soup.

What I haven't seen is a good method of cleaning out the line that runs from the pump to the wipers - mine's quite clogged. Anyone have any recommendations?

Farrar
04-09-2012, 11:41 AM
FYI, Renee sold her car.