PDA

View Full Version : SEDOC Early Fall Tech Session - August 24th - Buford GA

Dangermouse
08-15-2013, 01:08 PM
(New thread to simplify)

Derek (DL4567) is graciously hosting a tech session at his house in Buford GA (address to follow). Fantastic location with great facilities.

let's reconfirm who's going and what needs done

IN:

Derek/DL4567 + D
Ben/Soundkillr + D
RammJaeger +D
Jai/FreekyBeetle +D
Jeff/jagreen +D
Buddy/nullset +D

Possibles

Dermot

Jobs

Ben - Install Fuel Pump Combo
Jai - Rebuild brake calipers
Buddy - drill out mixture unit screw

Freaky Beetle
08-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Great! Looking forward to it. I will be bringing part of my D. ;)

Jagreen
08-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Can someone post the time and address?
I don't need any work done on the 24th., but would like to arrange for someone to do some PDR and Air-conditioning work on my D. I'll also need some advice on other general repair items.

Jeff

Ron
08-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Buddy - drill out mixture unit screwI hope that's not why he was saying, "stick a drill bit in there". :clown:

Soundkillr
08-15-2013, 09:45 PM
....sorry cant make this one....

Dangermouse
08-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Can someone post the time and address?
I don't need any work done on the 24th., but would like to arrange for someone to do some PDR and Air-conditioning work on my D. I'll also need some advice on other general repair items.

Jeff

Jeff, Derek will firm up the time in due course but in the past it had started around 10, or earlier. I'm sure he will PM the street address to attendees also

Soundkillr
08-15-2013, 09:46 PM
...just kidding. I'm not sure if I'm doing the fuel pump at the meet or not though, but that will free me up for other things. And no....not dent removal. Unless I bring the other car. I'm not putting dent tools in the delorean...

DL4567
08-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Yep, 10 is the traditional start time, no sense in changing it. I'll PM the address to those who don't already have it, but if anyone who's been here before needs it again, just let me know.

Thanks for the new thread Dermot. Hope you're back from Brazil in time for the 24th.

Dangermouse
08-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Pm it to me to please also.

I actually land in MIA early on the 24th so it just depends on what time I get to ATL and how I feel as I may just come straight from the airport. Won't have the D obviously but as the AT is still banjaxed, it was unlikely to be there anyway.

JDM
08-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Are long time lurkers welcome? I'm finally back into working on my D. Some of my calipers are locked up now but I would like to help out and learn some.

Soundkillr
08-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Are long time lurkers welcome? I'm finally back into working on my D. Some of my calipers are locked up now but I would like to help out and learn some.

You are more than welcome. C'mon!

Dangermouse
08-16-2013, 08:56 AM
More than welcome. Sounds like you and Jai will be spending time together.

(A first name would be nice, though :) )

ccurzio
08-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Hey guys I'm new here I might like to come too.

JDM
08-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! My name is Josh but most of my friends call me Jay. Should work out since there seems to be a lot of Joshes here too lol. I will have to watch Jai because my brakes will overheat if I drive very far. I think I can do it myself but I guess I will find out. :smile:

Dangermouse
08-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Hey guys I'm new here I might like to come too.

Sorry, dry cars only
:jawdrop:

ccurzio
08-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Sorry, dry cars only
:jawdrop:

Good thing I fixed mine!

DL4567
08-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Glad we didn't end up picking the 17th! Wowsers it's awful weather outside. I like the temperature though...

Fun fact: Yesterday and today broke the records for coolest high in Atlanta for Aug 16 & 17. One of them dating back to 1939.

Ron
08-18-2013, 12:55 AM
Looks like 9 more days of it too...

DELOR1
08-19-2013, 09:02 AM
(New thread to simplify)

Derek (DL4567) is graciously hosting a tech session at his house in Buford GA (address to follow). Fantastic location with great facilities.

let's reconfirm who's going and what needs done

IN:

Derek/DL4567 + D
Ben/Soundkillr + D
RammJaeger +D
Jai/FreekyBeetle +D
Jeff/jagreen +D
Buddy/nullset +D

Possibles

Dermot

Jobs

Buddy - drill out mixture unit screw

possible attendance JJ/ DELOR1

Bikercmbc
08-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Count me in, I got out of having to stay in Nashville for the weekend and will be heading to atl for the weekend anyways. Will not have my D, but can help do repairs on everyone elses cars.

DL4567
08-19-2013, 02:59 PM
possible attendance JJ/ DELOR1

Looking forward to finally meeting you John!

Count me in, I got out of having to stay in Nashville for the weekend and will be heading to atl for the weekend anyways. Will not have my D, but can help do repairs on everyone elses cars.

That's great Kyle! I was considering driving up to your event as well, but couldn't have made Sept 7. I see you might be moving it...

Bikercmbc
08-19-2013, 03:12 PM
yes, I have my nieces birthday that morning at 9 and redDMC has his nieces birthday at 2. plus Alex won't be in town that weekend. so we will be moving it to later in sept so more people can attend. hopefully it will be a decent tech session and get alot of repairs done and then take all the cars up on to the dragon and have a nice mountain drive after, and then cookout at my parents lake house after the run. hopefully more SEDOCers will be able to make it up there also.

RammJaeger
08-20-2013, 05:19 PM
If someone could help me swap out my headlights that would be great. I can't seem to get the screws out, and I'm afraid I'm going to break something. I'd also be interested to have some other D owners check out my steering and braking. I know the D doesn't have power steering, but mine seems to be way harder to turn than it should. It also stops incredibly slow (much slower than may 83 trans am for instance). It also seems to not run as well as it should, maybe something isn't tuned right?

I've done the thing where you shim up your center console so the DMCH window switches will fit. I'd be happy to help someone else do that to their car. Just bring a length of 2"x2" wood and a saw that you can cut it with. I've got some smaller wooden shims I'll bring that you can use along with the 2X2 piece of wood.

DL4567
08-21-2013, 10:16 AM
3-day bump! Getting more excited now.

The only issue: the f%*$&ing weather. The forecast is almost useless, as it changes every day, and every day is like a flip of a coin.... Seattle/Atlanta......Seattle/Atlanta. But I think it's safe to say if we wake up Saturday morning and it's wet and drizzling outside, we should postpone to another day? Hopefully we won't have to though.

ccurzio
08-21-2013, 03:50 PM
I agree that if it rains we should skip it.

Also Derek, can you PM me your address again?

Soundkillr
08-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Derek, ill need your address again as well. I also agree, if it rains lets find another date. I am REALLY tired of these wet weekends.

RammJaeger
08-21-2013, 09:33 PM
It's rained every day for 3 months :) The trick is is generally not raining in the morning, and rains in the mid to late afternoon. So if its not raining in the morning I say we go for it.

DL4567
08-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Addresses sent. I'll be happy even if it's cloudy, as long as it's dry.

RammJaeger
08-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Addresses sent. I'll be happy even if it's cloudy, as long as it's dry.

Can you please PM me your address?

DELOR1
08-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Sorry but I do not have the address either
thanks

Mark C
08-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Looks like I may be able to make it, plus D, so I would appreciate the address too. As for work, my AC isn't cooling like it used to, so if anyBuddy could maybe bring some AC tools...:wink:

Ron
08-22-2013, 11:42 PM
IN:
Derek/DL4567 + D
Ben/Soundkillr + D
RammJaeger +D
Jai/FreekyBeetle +D
Jeff/jagreen +D
Buddy/nullset +D
Jay/JDM -D
Bikercmbc/ ?

Possibles:
Dermot/DangerMouse -D
Chris/Accipiter +D
JJ/DELOR1 +D
Mark C +D
lostprophet -D
Ron +D

Jobs:
Buddy - drill out mixture unit screw (bring a plug!)
Rammmjamer- Swap out headlights, inspect brakes & steering
Mark C- AC

Tools Needed (not at Derek's):
AC- Buddy
Drill, bits, self-taping screw or tap and screw - ?
C-Clamps- ?
===========================

Did I miss anything/anybody?

ccurzio
08-23-2013, 07:38 AM
I have a couple of small C-Clamps I can bring, though depending on the size I don't know how useful they would be.

I also have some trigger-clamps but they're not metal.

ccurzio
08-23-2013, 08:00 AM
As an aside, has anyone ever installed a DPI Spec I exhaust system? Mine is still waiting to be bolted onto the car, and (this is probably a really stupid question) I'm wondering if something like that is out-of-scope for this tech session. I'm guessing "WAY OUT OF SCOPE", but what do I know?

Derek has a lift though, and I really hate my exhaust. :(

Soundkillr
08-23-2013, 08:04 AM
As an aside, has anyone ever installed a DPI Spec I exhaust system? Mine is still waiting to be bolted onto the car, and (this is probably a really stupid question) I'm wondering if something like that is out-of-scope for this tech session. I'm guessing "WAY OUT OF SCOPE", but what do I know?

I don't think it's out so scope, IF the exhaust studs don't break. But they probably will, and that will leave you stuck. I would recommend a lift for this job, but you will need a few days to extract broken studs, and re tap for new ones.

RammJaeger
08-23-2013, 08:06 AM
What time are we supposed to arrive, and how late does the tech session go? Can I bring my wife or kids?

sean
08-23-2013, 08:20 AM

As someone who has done this job I don't recommend it at a tech session unless the tech session is at your house. Been burnt a few times when important bolts, clamps, flanges, etc have been omitted from a kit and had to wait days for the pieces to come in.

ccurzio
08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
As someone who has done this job I don't recommend it at a tech session unless the tech session is at your house.

That's what I figured. Goddamn I need a lift.

Thanks anyway.

DL4567
08-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Alright, I've sent PMs to the latest round of address requests. But of course, if anyone still needs it don't hesitate to ask.

What time are we supposed to arrive, and how late does the tech session go? Can I bring my wife or kids?

The start time is 10 am, and everyone is welcome to stay as long as they like. I have no plans later, so if a job goes into the evening, no problem. (Historically things usually die down by around 5-6 pm, but again, anytime is good with me)

Sure! The wife and kids are certainly welcome, but they may want to have their own "escape" vehicle in case they get bored. :wink:

Since last night, the weather forecast has been improved from "PM Thunderstorms, 30%" to "Partly Cloudy, 20%". So this may come together after all. :)

nullset
08-23-2013, 02:59 PM
I lost your address too.... :)

nullset
08-23-2013, 03:02 PM
I am planning to bring:

A/C gauges
Sockets/ratchets/wrenches
Dwell Meter
Allen wrenches

I also have a fuel pressure test kit, vacuum gauge, and other bits if anyone needs it. If there are ANY specialty tools someone needs, let me know now and I'll throw them in the car.

I even have an SD-510 (AC compressor) rebuild toolset.....if anyone's feeling brave!

I can bring my vacuum pump if someone has an open A/C that they'd like pumped down...but it's heavy and awkward, so I'll leave it at home unless someone needs it.

--buddy

nullset
08-23-2013, 05:55 PM
If anyone has a radiator they're interested in selling, please let me know. 2930 needs a replacement.

--buddy

RammJaeger
08-23-2013, 06:07 PM
So this morning I decided to take my Delorean to work, but I was low on gas so I stopped to fill up. After the car filled up, gasoline started pouring out the bottom of the car. I ended up having the car towed to an auto shop I've used in the past, as I was afraid to even drive it with it pouring fuel out all over the ground. I assume that there is probably some rubber seal or something on the gas filler tube that went bad. So I'll be without my D now if I still come down. I'm so bummed, I've really been looking forward to this!!!

ccurzio
08-23-2013, 06:19 PM
That sucks.

Your only real option at this point is to mount the car on some railroad tracks and hijack (BORROW) a locomotive and try and push the car up to 88. :(

Soundkillr
08-23-2013, 06:26 PM
If anyone has a radiator they're interested in selling, please let me know. 2930 needs a replacement.

--buddy
Ive got one I can sell you. Call me tonight for details. I can bring it tomorrow...

Eroc
08-24-2013, 10:14 AM
So this morning I decided to take my Delorean to work, but I was low on gas so I stopped to fill up. After the car filled up, gasoline started pouring out the bottom of the car. I ended up having the car towed to an auto shop I've used in the past, as I was afraid to even drive it with it pouring fuel out all over the ground. I assume that there is probably some rubber seal or something on the gas filler tube that went bad. So I'll be without my D now if I still come down. I'm so bummed, I've really been looking forward to this!!!

Mine did this just a couple of weekends ago. Remove the plate that covers the fuel tank and see if it is a rubber fuel line. $1.39 part that cost me $66 in towing. It might be that simple.

Mark C
08-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks to Derek for hosting today's session, and to Chris for the pizza. It was good to see everyone again, and meet some new owners. Sorry I didn't get any good photos though.

ccurzio
08-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Ahh, there's nothing quite like the sensation you get when your brakes fail while you're driving.

sean
08-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Got up at 5am, ran 9 miles then headed to Derek's then went to Lanier to row for an hour and a half :-O. I tought I was going to be a bum today but seeing the old crew, and some new ones, was pretty awesome and really go me pumped! Thanks Derek for hosting another great event, sorry about mixing up the Allen wrenches :dead:. Thanks Chris for the Pizza! I think I'm feeling itchy again, :wink:. Looking forward to some pics, of course I can't talk since I took all of none...

sean
08-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Ahh, there's nothing quite like the sensation you get when your brakes fail while you're driving.

Are you talking about you or Ron?

ccurzio
08-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Me, unfortunately.

Pretty sure I've got a fluid leak and a sticking caliper.

Ron
08-24-2013, 07:07 PM
I had a stuck caliper and no fluid leak... (Weird since I have been running around in it lately.)

sean
08-24-2013, 07:35 PM
#BenGotPwned: Grommets.....

Soundkillr
08-24-2013, 08:42 PM

Pics or it didn't happen! You can't prove I don't have them without pics.

RammJaeger
08-24-2013, 09:15 PM
I took a few pictures and I'll post them up as soon as I get a chance to download them to my computer. Thanks to Derek for hosting and everyone who answered my myriad of questions. I'm looking forward to the next one, hopefully with my D this time!

ccurzio
08-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Pics or it didn't happen! You can't prove I don't have them without pics.

Ben's car totally has them. I saw them.

Freaky Beetle
08-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Big thanks to Derek (Hosting), Chris (Food), and Sean (Brakes)! Had a ton a fun as always and now a little closer to getting 2812 back on the road. Here are a few pictures I nabbed before leaving the party.

Freaky Beetle
08-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Pretty sure I've got a fluid leak and a sticking caliper.

What is it with this happening on tech days?!

Dangermouse
08-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Damn, sad to miss this one. Got delayed for 3 hours in São Paulo and got back mid afternoon tired and more tired (24 hours door to door).

Looks like the weather was perfect.

sean
08-25-2013, 06:22 AM
ben's car totally has them. I saw them.

False:

:D

Soundkillr
08-25-2013, 10:29 AM
False:

:D
I dunno, I'm zooming in, looks to me like they are there. Chris saw em to ya know. Besides any one can fake a photo now a days. Where's the version with Elvis next to us? Anyone? :)

Mark C
08-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Balls-deep in WIN!

Soundkillr
08-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Balls-deep in WIN!
This was the best term of the tech day. We need a sedoc tagline: sedoc, balls deep in awesome.

RammJaeger
08-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Here are the pictures I took:

Freaky Beetle
08-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Here is what I accomplished at the tech day:

Domi
08-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Great pic, thanks for sharing!

Soundkillr
08-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Here is what I accomplished at the tech day:

Please forward these to Ron. He's gonna need em! :)

Freaky Beetle
08-26-2013, 04:16 PM

No kidding! Mine failed on the way to a SEDOC session as well. Apparently we need a session focused on the brake system.

ccurzio
08-26-2013, 05:33 PM
That would be great. It actually doesn't appear as if I have a fluid leak, but there's definitely a stuck caliper. (Hard braking pulls to one side, then it keeps pulling for a little while after letting go of the brakes. And the pedal did end up going all the way to the floor with no effect for a while there.)

Fluid level is fine, so I'm confused. :(

sean
08-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Those are fronts, Ron needs rears. Now go install those grommets so your car won't be an eyesore.

sean
08-26-2013, 08:55 PM
That would be great. It actually doesn't appear as if I have a fluid leak, but there's definitely a stuck caliper. (Hard braking pulls to one side, then it keeps pulling for a little while after letting go of the brakes. And the pedal did end up going all the way to the floor with no effect for a while there.)

Fluid level is fine, so I'm confused. :(

Does the pedal build up as you pump? The seals in the MC may be going bad. When they go bad fluid will just move around inside the MC and no fluid will get pushed.

Dangermouse
08-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Even my heap has those grommets ;)

sean
08-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Even my heap has those grommets ;)

Oh snap! Dermot even has an early vin too! Suck on that Davis.

Ron
08-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Does the pedal build up as you pump? The seals in the MC may be going bad. When they go bad fluid will just move around inside the MC and no fluid will get pushed.
Yep, sounds like MC time.

=====

I have pistons on the way....

Soundkillr
08-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Oh snap! Dermot even has an early vin too! Suck on that Davis.

So much hate. Perhaps ill be welcome at that other new forum. You know, the redneck one? Ill bet none of those members have grommets.

sean
08-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Yep, sounds like MC time.

=====

I have pistons on the way....

Need rebuild kits? ;-)

So much hate. Perhaps ill be welcome at that other new forum. You know, the redneck one? Ill bet none of those members have grommets.
The cats already out of the bag. You made it clear Saturday that you wanted a custom motorcraft setup so you can run your car off a diet mountain dew bottle of gas.

I cant believe I've been missing out on all this fun. Saturday was a good day.

ccurzio
08-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Does the pedal build up as you pump?

Yep. That's how I was managing to brake for the entire ride home, along with my hand firmly on the e-brake as a backup if the pedal stopped working entirely.

Ron
08-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Need rebuild kits? ;-)Yeah, but it was a tossup when adding a ~two hour trip into the equation, so I just added them to the order... Should be here tomorrow.

sean
08-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah, but it was a tossup when adding a ~two hour trip into the equation, so I just added them to the order... Should be here tomorrow.

See, you should hve just picked up all my stuff when you were here :D

Ron
08-27-2013, 11:53 PM
:biggrin:

Freaky Beetle
08-28-2013, 08:56 AM
For Ben: My outer door seal has the same split has yours (two piece). Now about those grommets...

Soundkillr
08-28-2013, 07:53 PM
For Ben: My outer door seal has the same split has yours (two piece). Now about those grommets...

Perhaps the same tech put our seals on? I think the grommets were added by leprechauns at the factory, to certain cars only.

Dangermouse
08-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Perhaps the same tech put our seals on? I think the grommets were added by leprechauns at the factory, to certain cars only.

They are actually re-purposed leprechaun frisbees

sean
08-30-2013, 01:33 PM
They are actually re-purposed leprechaun frisbees

Regardless of what they are, everyone should know that Ben doesn't have them.....:thumbup2: