PDA

View Full Version : P J Grady Europe : non-destructive BTTF prop kit

Starglider
08-18-2013, 10:27 AM
When discussion of BTTF conversions comes up, I often mention the P J Grady Europe kits made by Chris Nicholsson. These were fully stainless, quite accurate and to the best of my knowledge the only prop kit that required no holes drilled or modification of the existing car at all. They mount using semi-concealed brackets from existing bolt holes and can be installed or removed in under an hour. Several people have PMed me asking about these; sadly since the former maintainer of the P J Grady Europe web site left there hasn't been an online store or much news available on their site.

I discussed this and other projects with Chris during our trip to DMC Europe this week, and I can confirm that he is thinking of doing a short run of an updated kit over the winter or early next year, if there is sufficient interest. The revised design features fully welded stainless steel flux bands, rear deck, vents and reactor base. However the flux boxes and wormhole emitter are now fibreglass for reduced weight and closer match to the original prop contours. This is not a complete turnkey kit of the kind Bruce Coloumbe used to offer; rear deck detailing is left to the installer. However it is an ideal option for owners who want to keep the ability to go back to the original car and are happy to do the final touches themselves.

Chris N asked me to post these provisional details to relevant forums, but he said to stress that final pricing and availability depends on how many people sign up.

Front Flux Band : $1200 / £770 : includes stainless band with welded stainless mesh, 2 x fibreglass flux boxes (unpainted black), stainless flux box plates with bolts, stainless mounting brackets.
Rear Flux Band : $2100 / £1340 : includes 2 x rear stainless bands with welded stainless mesh, 4 x fibreglass flux boxes (unpainted black), stainless flux box plates with bolts, fibreglass wormhole emitter (unpainted black), stainless mounting brackets.
Rear Deck : $2000 / £1270 : includes stainless deck with spaceframe support structure, stainless vents with optional removal lower pieces (to uncover lights for street legality), rear hose mounting boxes in stainless, stainless bulkhead covering rear window (optional but recommended), forward crossover pipe mounting boxes in fibreglass, your choice of plutonium reactor base or Mr Fusion mounting base in stainless.

Order the full set and Chris will include 2 x stainless side cable tubes with mounting brackets. Collect from Canvey Island UK or shipping by courier at cost. Installation can be arranged at P J Grady Europe or US, but anyone who can use a socket wrench shouldn't need it.

Not included : flexible hoses, cables, HV connectors, rear deck detailing e.g. capacitors, 'pac men', green tubes, heatsinks, janitol heater, orange tube, Mr Fusion or plutonium reactor top piece / lid. You can get reproductions of these from 'Videobob', source originals from various places or make your own. Flux boxes supplied unpainted as there is some variation in preferred colour.

Please PM me if you're interested, and I'll put you on the list. There will be a deposit needed prior to production. I'd like to stress that I am not in any way affiliated with P J Grady Europe and will not be involved in payment for or design/build of this kit. I'm just helping Chris out with promoting it since he doesn't have decent Internet connectivity at the moment. I will relay any questions about the kit to Chris and post answers back here as soon as I have them. Details and photos of the original run of kits can be found here (http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericContent.aspx?PageType=Back_To_The_Future&ShowContent=BTTF_Replica_Kit.html); Chris assures me that the second run will be even better.

P.S. Fibreglass front and rear fascias will also be available next year but as yet there's no pricing; still working out some details such as moulding the rear DeLorean logo. Again I can register interest and try and get a price if people want them.

Totally 80s
08-18-2013, 05:56 PM
do you have any photos of the first kits on the cars and off?
-alex

Starglider
08-18-2013, 06:50 PM
do you have any photos of the first kits on the cars and off?

Only old and tiny ones unfortunately; see link in first post, also some here (http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericContent.aspx?PageType=Back_To_The_Future&ShowContent=Project_10_BTTF_Replica_Kit.html). Chris Parnham's replica turned out well and Chris N has been refining the design since, so I'm confident it will be screen accurate (except for retaining the rear window).

Four people (including me) are now on the list for the kit. I forgot to mention that the rubber flux band mounting brackets are included, although some of them are just decorative in this mounting scheme.

Totally 80s
08-19-2013, 04:42 AM
So it's $5300 for everything or is there a discount for buying everything?

ALEXAKOS
08-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Not everything. All the expensive stuff in the back is not included. (Janitrol heater, Mr. fusion or Plutonium chamber, etc)

Totally 80s
08-19-2013, 01:43 PM
So you drill into the fiberglass for the hockey pucks and green tubes etc.?

ALEXAKOS
08-19-2013, 02:29 PM
So you drill into the fiberglass for the hockey pucks and green tubes etc.?

Absolutely NO DRILLING!;)
Its all made with existing mounting position. I suppose he is selling a base for those hockey pucks etc

Mark D
08-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Why on earth would he make the flux bands and rear deck out of stainless?? The originals are all aluminum and heavy enough as it is. I can't even imagine how much they weigh made out of SS. Not to mention the additional cost of SS instead of using aluminum. :hmm:

And a big word of caution calling anything 'screen accurate'. Unless the dimensions exactly match the originals then that is false advertising. "As close to screen accurate as possible" would be a better choice of words.

Starglider
08-19-2013, 04:56 PM

Chris said he'd include the under-sill wiring tubes with mounts for anyone buying the full set.

All the expensive stuff in the back is not included. (Janitrol heater, Mr. fusion or Plutonium chamber, etc)

Well, how much you want to spend on that stuff is up to each owner, originals vs replicas vs homemade etc. To the best of my knowledge the full exterior prop kit that used to be available (from another vendor) was almost twice this price, so it seems reasonable to me.

Absolutely NO DRILLING! Its all made with existing mounting position. I suppose he is selling a base for those hockey pucks etc

Yes the rear deck part extends over the pontoon where the base of the other props go, no drilling required.

Why on earth would he make the flux bands and rear deck out of stainless??

For the flux bands, because stainless is stronger and more resistant to rocks/chips/scratches. For the rear deck I don't know.

And a big word of caution calling anything 'screen accurate'.

No conversion that leaves the rear window in place is strictly screen accurate, but Chris is a good craftsman and has lots of references, so I'm sure it will be as close as possible given the rear window and fully removable constraints.

Brisfx
08-19-2013, 06:10 PM
If anyone is looking for other parts to complete this conversion, I can supply:

Orange Tube - original part still in original boxes
Janitrol Replica
Hockey Pucks
Crossover Tube

regards

Brad

Totally 80s
08-20-2013, 03:06 AM
Star could you ask him why he makes the rear deck in stainless and not aluminum? It is a pretty good question.

Starglider
08-20-2013, 04:01 AM
Star could you ask him why he makes the rear deck in stainless and not aluminum? It is a pretty good question.

I did and apologies, it was a misunderstanding on my part. For both the previous and the current P J Grady design, only the support brackets for the rear deck were stainless; the deck itself and vents are all aluminium. Chris confirmed that the flux bands are stainless for durability, since they are close to the road and vulnerable to flexing when the kit is installed or removed.

Starglider
01-17-2014, 05:14 AM
Just to confirm, this kit has been in development and final prices / availability should be announced soon. Chris has been making blueprints, fibreglass moulds and test pieces of stainless and is close to finalising the design.

mac
01-17-2014, 05:28 AM
Thanks! Looking forward!:nana2:

movieman1026
01-31-2014, 12:51 AM
Just to confirm, this kit has been in development and final prices / availability should be announced soon. Chris has been making blueprints, fibreglass moulds and test pieces of stainless and is close to finalising the design.

Have you seen this? http://www.nvidia.com/object/digital-instrument-clusters.html

mac
05-28-2015, 10:54 AM
I wonder if this project is dead, no updates or replies to pn for months :(

Starglider
05-29-2015, 01:45 PM
It's not dead but it is on hold because Chris N has been really busy. Usually he has less work in the winter, but he said that this winter has been booked solid with people bringing their new US imports to him for restoration work.

aotmfilms
10-23-2015, 03:23 PM
It's not dead but it is on hold because Chris N has been really busy. Usually he has less work in the winter, but he said that this winter has been booked solid with people bringing their new US imports to him for restoration work.

I would think with the 2015 year and people (like myself) would pay alot to get a non destructive conversion done, atleast for the flux bands that it would be worth more of his time? It's not like he's putting the parts on too, just shipping them.

I am just adverse to drilling into my D to make it into a movie prop. (no offense to other D owners out there), so color me interested.

Now to clarify things, a conversion does not make a Delorean better, just different. :thumbup2:

--Doug

cpistocco
10-26-2015, 11:02 PM
I might be interested when the time comes...

cpistocco
09-05-2016, 11:44 PM
It would appear that this project is dead.....

So...

Hello Folks
Can anyone recommend the best place to purchase flux bands and rear exhaust vents? I am looking to begin some BTTF mods that are strictly for static displays. I eventually want to do an easily reversible conversion, and I thought that this might be a good place to start.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Charlie

mac
09-06-2016, 03:18 AM
You have to bend the flux bands yourself right on your car. Otherwise it all does not snug together.

aotmfilms
09-06-2016, 11:29 AM
It would appear that this project is dead.....

So...

Hello Folks
Can anyone recommend the best place to purchase flux bands and rear exhaust vents? I am looking to begin some BTTF mods that are strictly for static displays. I eventually want to do an easily reversible conversion, and I thought that this might be a good place to start.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Charlie

I would say take Gary's specs and go to Home Depot for some foamboard for the exhaust vents. PVC for the Fluxbands. Atleast that's what I would start with as a version 1. So you have a prototype built and can view without draining your bank account.

You can see #GhettoFusion (Mr. Fusion) on my page, in my link or just do hashtag #Ghettofusion on facebook.

--Doug

cpistocco
09-07-2016, 11:12 AM
I would say take Gary's specs and go to Home Depot for some foamboard for the exhaust vents. PVC for the Fluxbands. Atleast that's what I would start with as a version 1. So you have a prototype built and can view without draining your bank account.

You can see #GhettoFusion (Mr. Fusion) on my page, in my link or just do hashtag #Ghettofusion on facebook.

--Doug

Thanks Doug
I appreciate the advice. I was really hoping that there was a place where someone could purchase these props already done. I have the tech/ mechanical ability ( I think :) ) . I just don't have the time.
Sincerely
Charlie

aotmfilms
09-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks Doug
I appreciate the advice. I was really hoping that there was a place where someone could purchase these props already done. I have the tech/ mechanical ability ( I think :) ) . I just don't have the time.
Sincerely
Charlie

Videobob, Gary or Bruce I would guess.

--Doug

cpistocco
09-10-2016, 11:13 AM
Videobob, Gary or Bruce I would guess.

--Doug

Thank You. I have heard of Video Bob....... But I am not familiar with Gary or Bruce. Can you give last names, or websites?
Thanks
Charlie

mluder
09-12-2016, 04:31 AM
Thank You. I have heard of Video Bob....... But I am not familiar with Gary or Bruce. Can you give last names, or websites?
Thanks
Charlie

Here's Bruce... http://www.deloreantimemachines.com/
I'm not sure Gary Weaver is still actively building time machines...
Here's his Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/bttfparts

Cheers
Steve

cpistocco
09-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Here's Bruce... http://www.deloreantimemachines.com/
I'm not sure Gary Weaver is still actively building time machines...
Here's his Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/bttfparts

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve... Much appreciated.
-Charlie

cpistocco
09-14-2016, 11:22 PM
UPDATE- Video Bob did respond to me. Gotta give him credit. :)

aotmfilms
09-16-2016, 12:07 PM
I'm a fan of all three vendors. Any of their props can be expensive,

I wish they'd make the easy off/on stuff for their prices for those of us reluctant to turn ours into a movie prop. I'd spend the money for flux bands if I could get them off in an hour or two.

Just like Dave over at DMCMW commented on FB, stock values may rise as the movie fades.

I have seen this at car shows where the 6 to 8 year olds don't know what Back to the Future is (a DeLorean owners greatest fear I guess). Parents not showing them the movie?

So if that classic movie fades, stock values may rise and bttf mods may decrease? I'd want to have the best of both worlds if that happens.

There is a difference between "Dreaming and Driving" as I like to put it.

The solution? Make a reversible mod or another Back to the Future movie lol! (reboot?)

--Doug

cpistocco
09-28-2016, 12:04 AM
I'm a fan of all three vendors. Any of their props can be expensive,

I wish they'd make the easy off/on stuff for their prices for those of us reluctant to turn ours into a movie prop. I'd spend the money for flux bands if I could get them off in an hour or two.

Just like Dave over at DMCMW commented on FB, stock values may rise as the movie fades.

I have seen this at car shows where the 6 to 8 year olds don't know what Back to the Future is (a DeLorean owners greatest fear I guess). Parents not showing them the movie?

So if that classic movie fades, stock values may rise and bttf mods may decrease? I'd want to have the best of both worlds if that happens.

There is a difference between "Dreaming and Driving" as I like to put it.

The solution? Make a reversible mod or another Back to the Future movie lol! (reboot?)

--Doug
I wrote to some of the vendors, and I never heard back. I would love to start with exhaust vents and flux bands that can be placed on the car while it is parked....and then removed when I drive away. Seems like a good place to begin...having the best of both worlds.

davidc89
09-28-2016, 07:22 AM
That brings up a question though. How would you get all these parts to events? You would need a separate rig in order to carry all the parts. I imagine it would be fairly difficult hauling flux bands in a DeLorean. Just a thought...

ccurzio
09-29-2016, 08:02 AM
Are we ever going to see any photos of what this kit looks like on a car?

mluder
09-29-2016, 01:10 PM
That brings up a question though. How would you get all these parts to events? You would need a separate rig in order to carry all the parts. I imagine it would be fairly difficult hauling flux bands in a DeLorean. Just a thought...

That's what I've had to do. Separate vehicle to carry the time machine bits to and from events. It's fine if I can rally some one else to drive it. A big pain if it's just me. I end up delivering the DeLorean... Taking Uber home... and driving out in the second car. Tear down is the reverse. Big pain!

Cheers
Steven

Timebender
09-30-2016, 12:58 PM

--Doug

If we've learned anything, reboots are a very bad idea.

VERY. BAD.

But I do have a treatment for a BTTF 4 that it think does a nice job of bringing back the fun of the movie, the DeLorean, is a great continuation, and even has a nod to DMCtalk.

Now to get the Bob's to take a look at it.

aotmfilms
10-04-2016, 12:00 PM

You could ask Andy how much of a PITA that was, his is somewhat reversible.

https://www.facebook.com/RentDeloreans/

--Doug

ccurzio
10-05-2016, 07:34 AM
Now to get the Bob's to take a look at it.

You'd be wasting your time. They have said - repeatedly - that there will not be a sequel and there will not be a reboot.

And that makes me very happy.

stranovegas
01-02-2017, 10:50 PM
You could ask Andy how much of a PITA that was, his is somewhat reversible.

https://www.facebook.com/RentDeloreans/

--Doug

yes! shoot me an email at RentDelorean.com. I am currently working on creating some non-evasive BTTF parts to be sold to Delorean owners that could easily attach to the outside of the car, much as mine is. Most is very lightweight as well so it really doesn't effect the performance of the car. Also, everything is easily attachable and detachable. My car is still STOCK technically. If interested, hit me up and lets talk!
-Andy

cpistocco
01-09-2017, 12:53 AM
Count me in Andy. I cant believe that people aren't lining up in the streets for a non-invasive conversion that can be un-done within 1 hour!!!

BTW....I think the car looks better without the thick wire hanging from the flux bands!

aotmfilms
01-09-2017, 04:24 PM
yes! shoot me an email at RentDelorean.com. I am currently working on creating some non-evasive BTTF parts to be sold to Delorean owners that could easily attach to the outside of the car, much as mine is. Most is very lightweight as well so it really doesn't effect the performance of the car. Also, everything is easily attachable and detachable. My car is still STOCK technically. If interested, hit me up and lets talk!
-Andy

Color me interested. Throw what you have up on FB with a price. :) May get some between now and the summer.

--Doug

cpistocco
04-15-2018, 08:39 PM
You'd be wasting your time. They have said - repeatedly - that there will not be a sequel and there will not be a reboot.

And that makes me very happy.

How about "Ready Player One?"

Nicholas R
04-16-2018, 01:20 PM
How about "Ready Player One?"

Are you saying Ready Player One is a reboot/sequal/prequal to Back to the Future?

I suppose a male teenaged main character periodically drives a time machine DeLorean, but I think that's where the similarities end.

Timebender
04-23-2018, 02:47 PM
-Andy

Any progress on these “non-invasive” parts and if so can we see what you’ve come up with?

cpistocco
02-14-2019, 11:19 PM
Are you saying Ready Player One is a reboot/sequal/prequal to Back to the Future?

I suppose a male teenaged main character periodically drives a time machine DeLorean, but I think that's where the similarities end.

Of course not :) ... But it was nice to see a D on the big screen again.

cpistocco
02-14-2019, 11:19 PM
Any progress on these “non-invasive” parts and if so can we see what you’ve come up with?

Nothing but crickets from Grady Europe....for years.

kgp4death
02-24-2019, 03:56 AM
Of course not :) ... But it was nice to see a D on the big screen again.

Yes, it was nice to see her again on the big screen and shown quite a bit of respect. How's your conversion going, still got to drop off those part to you sitting in my center console. Time bender thanks again for wormhole emitter model it printed very nicely just post processing before I post a make. You insprired me to make/post some modles of my own for exaple gi\oing to post what i made for my plutonium chamber but it is very rough so far.5932359324
....I will be posting all kinds of time machine related models shortly.

cpistocco
02-26-2019, 11:45 PM
Yes, it was nice to see her again on the big screen and shown quite a bit of respect. How's your conversion going, still got to drop off those part to you sitting in my center console. Time bender thanks again for wormhole emitter model it printed very nicely just post processing before I post a make. You insprired me to make/post some modles of my own for exaple gi\oing to post what i made for my plutonium chamber but it is very rough so far.5932359324
....I will be posting all kinds of time machine related models shortly.

I have been at a stand-still with my conversion.....sooooo time consuming! :)
We should get together. I would like to see your car (and pick up the remaining pieces of aluminum.)
-Charlie
749 7010