PDA

View Full Version : Deloreans with an X in/on the hood

Delorean02378
07-13-2011, 06:41 PM
For those folks wondering what an X on a Delorean hood looks like, here are a few examples.

If you're looking to purchase a Delorean and see this on the hood, figure in the cost of a new hood as these can not be removed the majority of time.

Anyone else have pictures of an X they can add?

Roman Legion
07-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I thought they could be easily fixed.. How much would a new hood cost, so I can accurately figure how much to subtract from my offer?

DavidProehl
07-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I thought they could be easily fixed.. How much would a new hood cost, so I can accurately figure how much to subtract from my offer?

A little over a $1,000, and only flat hoods are available now.

http://www.delorean.com/store/p-9526-hood-flat.aspx

timothymoore
07-13-2011, 09:22 PM
how do the hoods aquire the x? is it bad body work? bad design? stainless too flemsy?

DavidProehl
07-13-2011, 09:49 PM
how do the hoods aquire the x? is it bad body work? bad design? stainless too flemsy?

Pressure applied to the hood. If someone used it as a shelf and stacked boxes or other weighty items on it it will press it down on the X support on the backside making the X visible. It can also happen from scrubbing too hard on it when cleaning or leaning on the hood. In short, don't apply any more pressure to the hood than necessary.

Delorean02378
07-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Currently there's a Delorean on Ebay for sale that has an X that is not as pronounced but you can definitely see it. I wasn't able to get the picture in the proper format to add as an attachment, hopefully one of our computer folks can add it to this thread.

The X on this car is from someone attempting to remove the paint and applying lots of pressure to the hood.

Here's the link.

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd419/DMCtwelve/?action=view&current=a2d6ca42.jpg

DavidProehl
07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Grady has an X hood on his website from a pilot car and documents removing the X:

http://www.pjgrady.co.uk/GenericContent.aspx?PageType=News&ShowContent=Project_26_Removal_of_DeLorean_Hood_X. html

dvonk
07-13-2011, 11:53 PM
seeing an X on a gas flap hood makes me sad inside. :mecry:

Farrar
07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
If you're looking to purchase a Delorean and see this on the hood, figure in the cost of a new hood as these can not be removed the majority of time.

...or just be happy you've got a DeLorean and drive the sucker.

Just my opinion.

Farrar

mluder
07-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Pressure applied to the hood. If someone used it as a shelf and stacked boxes or other weighty items on it it will press it down on the X support on the backside making the X visible. It can also happen from scrubbing too hard on it when cleaning or leaning on the hood. In short, don't apply any more pressure to the hood than necessary.

So just how much is too much pressure when cleaning or regraining? If you're usisng a wolf's head wheel, would that put too much pressure? Is hand graining more dangerous?

Steve

DavidProehl
07-16-2011, 03:26 PM
So just how much is too much pressure when cleaning or regraining? If you're usisng a wolf's head wheel, would that put too much pressure? Is hand graining more dangerous?

Steve

Not sure, but it seems to appear on cars that have had paint scraped off with a lot of pressure. In my case I error on the side of using too little pressure. Odds are you could apply moderate (10 lbs?) pressure without any issues. Of course that is wild speculation and I'm not going to test that theory on my car.

kajcienski
07-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Don't most D's have traces of an X in certain light? (I find fluorescent to be particularly cruel) I see it from very low mile cars all the way up...

Sidaries
09-19-2011, 04:24 AM
I had this X on my hood one day, when the weather was very humid. After 5 minutes it disappeared.

Delorean02378
10-19-2011, 09:07 PM
The pictures I posted on the beginning of this thread were removed when I was attempting decrease the size of my Album. Here are a couple good pictures of an X on a Delorean hood. This particular Delorean was 01924.

Chris Burns
10-19-2011, 09:33 PM
I had this X on my hood one day, when the weather was very humid. After 5 minutes it disappeared.

Holy crap! That's a big X.

dvonk
10-19-2011, 09:51 PM
This particular Delorean was 01924.

"was" being the keyword...

videobob got ahold of it.

videobob
10-20-2011, 03:48 AM
Yeah, I got ahold of it...

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/44930_473619346778_717491778_6574562_2679561_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180248_10150124292386779_717491778_7572841_1774477 _n.jpg

dvonk
10-20-2011, 08:02 AM
"was" being the keyword...

videobob got ahold of it.

ok, im going to moderate myself here. the internet makes people say things that we would never say to someone's face...

i know videobob worked a long time on this BTTF conversion, and frankly, ive never even seen it, so i have no room to talk about it. i personally dont like BTTF conversions, but we have plenty of threads of people fighting about it, and this shouldnt be another one of those.

im not here to make enemies, and i am not above admitting i am wrong. i want to do my part to keep this forum as positive as possible. my apologies to videobob.

back to the topic on hand! :wink:

Delorean02378
10-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Well, let's face it, gas flap hoods and grooved hoods aren't available anymore so you either keep the imperfect one you've got or buy a flat hood. That's one part I haven't heard Houston is remanufacturing, (YET).

BTW, besides the X in the hood, 01924 was/is a good car.

Iznodmad
10-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Well, let's face it, gas flap hoods and grooved hoods aren't available anymore <snip>

Not entirely true. I have a NOS grooved hood in my hoard, never been on a car. If you want a part bad enough, there are ways of finding them. All it takes is time and money.

Paul J
10-20-2011, 11:39 AM
I was chatting to Chris N when he was regraining my car and he is able to add the gas flap into a flat hood. Has has done a few before.

Handy to know if you ever need it!

Nicholas R
10-20-2011, 11:58 AM
The X to me is always based on the lighting. Flourescent lighting in a shop always tends to bring mine out a bit. That or direct overhead view, otherwise you never see it.

Here's a few photos of my car:
Bad angle with X:
http://s2.postimage.org/61unnggrl/DC_X.jpg

Heres the same car with no X (taken about a week prior)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-odxePlpskfM/Tpu9dx8tRkI/AAAAAAAAAGA/T-wXfllt59E/s1600/DSCN0353.jpg

Heck here's the exact same parade with no X
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FEuDBlEYmgo/Tpu9XliKzwI/AAAAAAAAAF4/Emc8ERpv7mU/s1600/DeLorean+Doctor.jpg

videobob
10-22-2011, 06:03 AM
ok, im going to moderate myself here. the internet makes people say things that we would never say to someone's face...

i know videobob worked a long time on this BTTF conversion, and frankly, ive never even seen it, so i have no room to talk about it. i personally dont like BTTF conversions, but we have plenty of threads of people fighting about it, and this shouldnt be another one of those.

im not here to make enemies, and i am not above admitting i am wrong. i want to do my part to keep this forum as positive as possible. my apologies to videobob.

back to the topic on hand! :wink:

Thanks, for the record, I try as hard as I can to find beater cars with as many dents as possible and save the better cars for the fans.
After all, I am still a fan!
This car had a bad X in the hood and little dents and dings all over it.
It was barely running and needed everything.
I replaced the entire brake and fuel system.
Out of 9000+ cars, I think about 50 of them are Time Machines.
SO with only 0.6% of the total produced cars being converted, I don't think it will be much of an issue!!!!
Besides, these Time Machines keep the Delorean name alive and inspire buyers
to fix up these back yard heaps and keep venders like DMCH in business which allows them to make the replacement parts we need.
All important to the food chain.
Your welcome.
- VB

dvonk
10-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks, for the record, I try as hard as I can to find beater cars [...] This car had a bad X in the hood and little dents and dings all over it.

looking at the 'before' photos of 1924, it did have a bad X... were you able to repair some of the damage, or did you just leave alone to avoid making it any worse?

i know the hood X is notoriously difficult to remedy... :dead:

Timebender
06-29-2015, 07:41 PM
The X to me is always based on the lighting. Flourescent lighting in a shop always tends to bring mine out a bit. That or direct overhead view, otherwise you never see it.

Here's a few photos of my car:

Heck here's the exact same parade with no X
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FEuDBlEYmgo/Tpu9XliKzwI/AAAAAAAAAF4/Emc8ERpv7mU/s1600/DeLorean+Doctor.jpg

So, I barely noticed the X on my gas flap hood last night, in my garage, with the overhead fluorescent lights on - as well as some small bumps in the hood (and roof even), but during the day the X is not there.

And nice pic Nick - so do you call your "Sexy"?

refugeefromcalif
06-29-2015, 07:57 PM
The only time I've seen an X on my hood is winter time, when frost is on the car.

Sorry no pics. (I'll try this winter).

George

EDIT: Just noticed this is an Old thread.

Timebender
06-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Not that old as I was looking up the X- as I can kind of see it in my garage, but not when the car is outdoors. So I wanted to see if this was pretty common as I had heard about it here before. And decided to reply.

Thus the thread being resuscitated..