PDA

View Full Version : VIN Tag Keyring

ssdelorean
08-26-2013, 09:17 PM
I thought I posted this before but cannot find anything. Also the fact that I cannot search for 3 letter words hinders just a bit. (So this is for future searches: Keys, VIN Number, Keyring, Keys Code, Dealer Ring).

Anyway, has anyone else have for their D, or seen one of these before?

I have only seen this one for my car. The previous owner (who was also the first owner) purchased this new and said it was to identify which key went with which car by having the VIN with the key in the parking lot full of identical DeLoreans. I am told the smaller tag with a 4 digit number is my key code (photoshoped to an incorrect number for use in this photo on a public forum ;-)

Dangermouse
08-26-2013, 10:26 PM
I recall something about this before, possibly on .com. I recall James knew something about them.

Very cool item. Would love to find mine stuffed under a seat or something.

Iznodmad
08-26-2013, 10:47 PM
I've never seen the large tag before. But I do have the smaller tab with the key code on my 83, and both original keys. I too got my 83 from the original owner.

Patrick C
08-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Never seen that before! Maybe made by Consolidated International when they had hundreds of cars on the lot?

RammJaeger
08-27-2013, 07:53 AM
I have this for my car as well with both metal tags just like your picture. I keep mine in a safe place, as I assumed that they might be rare.

10-26-2015, 11:20 PM
I have this for my car, and it was a 1983 Consolidated vin, as well. It has a yellow paper tag, with the vin number, the larger metal plate with the last 5 of the VIN number, and two of the small rectangles which I assume are the key codes.

11-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Here's a pic of mine:37992

todd1561
09-07-2016, 09:42 PM
I bought 1561 from the original owner a little over 11 years ago. With the purchase I got several spare keys, a DMC tag, and a couple of those small code tags. Presumably one for the door key and one for the ignition. I've since had Houston rekey my locks so they are the same. I always thought that one oddball door key was interesting, don't think I've seen another. Here's a pic...

http://toddnelson.net/misc/dmckeys.jpg

Morpheus
09-08-2016, 10:36 AM
I bought 1561 from the original owner a little over 11 years ago. With the purchase I got several spare keys, a DMC tag, and a couple of those small code tags. Presumably one for the door key and one for the ignition. I've since had Houston rekey my locks so they are the same. I always thought that one oddball door key was interesting, don't think I've seen another. Here's a pic...

http://toddnelson.net/misc/dmckeys.jpg

That's the lighted key from the early style door locks. My car has that key as well.

todd1561
09-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Yes, all 3 on the bottom row are lighted. In fact, when I bought the car 11 years ago one of the keys still lit up! The big one on the far left I always thought was kind of unique, it's also a door key like the other 2 on the bottom.