PDA

View Full Version : Forum Down Time this evening for upgrading

Mike C.
09-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Good evening everyone,

The time has come to update software versions to fix some serious security issues with the current vbulletin software we are running. Unfortunately this means taking the forum down until we get the new versions to merge and get the forum visual settings accurate.

If anyone remembers the last time we did this, your logins over at DMCHelp.com are probably still valid.

(yes, all data has been successfully backed up; yes, the forum is coming back up; no, i don't have an exact time when because I'm not sure how many settings are or are NOT going to carry over.) We will update the forum home page as often as possible to let everyone know what's going on and when we will be back up.

Lots of changes are in store with dmctalk.org, and we thank you very much for being patient while we perform the upgrades.

Mark D
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Good evening everyone,

The time has come to update software versions to fix some serious security issues with the current vbulletin software we are running. Unfortunately this means taking the forum down until we get the new versions to merge and get the forum visual settings accurate.

If anyone remembers the last time we did this, your logins over at DMCHelp.com are probably still valid.

(yes, all data has been successfully backed up; yes, the forum is coming back up; no, i don't have an exact time when because I'm not sure how many settings are or are NOT going to carry over.) We will update the forum home page as often as possible to let everyone know what's going on and when we will be back up.

Lots of changes are in store with dmctalk.org, and we thank you very much for being patient while we perform the upgrades.

One humble request if possible. Can you also update the awful looking blue delorean with crooked DMC logo and round side mirrors at the top of the page to something more attractive and representative of a real DeLorean? It just looks horrible. And why doesn't it have a roof?? Given the 3/4 perspective of the car in that image and the fact that you can see the bonnet there clearly should also be a roof visible.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but it bugs the hell out of me.

Dangermouse
09-05-2013, 05:41 PM
What time are you starting at? (so we can get our last minute "fix" in) :)

Looking forward to the "new and improved"

Never mind dmchelp, I hear there is another forum up and running, but I can't quite remember the name ;). FrenchtoastToday or something like that.

Mike C.
09-05-2013, 06:09 PM
One humble request if possible. Can you also update the awful looking blue delorean with crooked DMC logo and round side mirrors at the top of the page to something more attractive and representative of a real DeLorean? It just looks horrible. And why doesn't it have a roof?? Given the 3/4 perspective of the car in that image and the fact that you can see the bonnet there clearly should also be a roof visible.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but it bugs the hell out of me.

Mark,

While this update is more for functionality, I will definitely keep your request in mind. No jerk, don't worry. We've had a few requests.

As far as actual time, it's tough to say as Tamir is in CA and trying to squeeze this in while he is at work. Im going to guess it will be around 9pm Eastern.

Michael
09-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Mark,

While this update is more for functionality, I will definitely keep your request in mind. No jerk, don't worry. We've had a few requests.

As far as actual time, it's tough to say as Tamir is in CA and trying to squeeze this in while he is at work. Im going to guess it will be around 9pm Eastern.

Send me the picture file and I can fix it.

Mike C.
09-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Thank you everyone for your patience! Have a good time!

Dangermouse
09-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Whhooooooo. I was starting to get nervous. :)

Mike C.
09-08-2013, 08:31 AM
I was going to clear out a few sections as a joke, but figured some wouldn't find it as funny... :hihi2:

Tillsy
09-08-2013, 09:53 AM

(yes, all data has been successfully backed up; yes, the forum is coming back up; no, i don't have an exact time when because I'm not sure how many settings are or are NOT going to carry over.)

Guys just a suggestion - next time take a full SQL dump, import it into another database, create a full duplicate of the forum code, and then modify it to point to the new paths. Then you can do all your upgrades and changes on that duplicate forum and know in advance the timings, issues, and side-effects.

I ran a forum for 12 years and the longest the live one was ever down for was 30 minutes, the test one on the other hand could be undergoing an upgrade for weeks while I slowly nutted issues out and perfected the changeover process.

Tillsy
09-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Are you guys showing a false vBulletin version number for security reasons or did the upgrade not go ahead? We were showing version 4.1.12 before the big outage but after it still says 4.1.12?

Mike C.
09-08-2013, 10:22 AM
We are in the process of upgrading to 5, but due to the number of forum features that are going to disappear with the upgrade, we started to second guess, despite what you may hear from other forums. Not to mention right after the downtime started, we were automatically delayed 24 hours due to a medical emergency and a family member needing to be rushed to the ER with a 104 degree fever.

The security issue had been solved.